Chapter Twenty-Three: Phoenix Revival Pill
264 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Xue gradually recovered with Yi Sheng and Yi Xin’s combined efforts. Due to their intensive care and treatment her ravaged body showed rapid signs of improvement day by day.

“Little girl, we need a few things in order to fully detoxify the Body Eroding Poison.” Yi Sheng said as he waved his hand to store his silver needles. “I have most of the herbs with me but two of the herbs are not found in this realm. I would have to make a trip to acquire them.”

“Xiao Xue will have to trouble Master.” Xiao Xue replied respectfully.

Yi Sheng waved his hands and scowled half-heartedly, “What trouble? It’s something that I should do. You already accepted me as your Master and you’re now my disciple. Of course, I will do all I can for you.”

Xiao Xue smiled. Although Yi Sheng is temperamental and unpredictable at times, he’s very kind and considerate to her. When she first found out the old man was the godly doctor, Yi Sheng, Xiao Xue was stupefied. She never thought someone of Yi Sheng’s caliber would consent to treat someone like her. But after Xie Yuan explained that Yi Sheng was someone who could be considered as employed by his family, Xiao Xue  understood that the old man cured her for Xie Yuan’s sake.

Of course upon learning this, Yi Sheng immediately countered that it was not so. Yi Sheng adored Xiao Xue and was devising ways to cajole her to be his disciple. The old man cannot allow her to believe that he was helping her wholly for the sake of others. Later, he ceaselessly found opportunities to initiate Xiao Xue to the world of medicine and alchemy. Yi Sheng thickened his skin and braved the odds in the face of Xie Yuan’s initial belligerence. Every time Xie Yuan hatefully glared at him to leave them alone, Yi Sheng pretended not to notice and would stick to them until he engages Xiao Xue’s full attention.

Xiao Xue realized early that Yi Sheng wanted to teach her medicine. She was thrilled, of course, for someone like Yi Sheng, whose name is known through all the three realms, attracting his attention could be quite difficult. But for some inexplicable reason the old man seemed to have taken a shine to her. And since Xiao Xue was interested in medicine and alchemy anyway, she did not shy away from his kindness. After gaining Xie Yuan’s reluctant approval, Xiao Xue offered Yi Sheng a cup of tea, kowtows and called him ‘Master’.

“Your injuries are mostly healed but I advise you not to overtax yourself.” Yi Sheng instructed. He glanced at Xiao Xue’s leg and sighed dejectedly. “Until we fully detoxify the Body Eroding Poison I fear you will still feel pain on it.”

The condition of Xiao Xue’s leg has become Yi Sheng’s bane and sore spot for the past few days. The bone was now healed and no longer crooked. But the Body Eroding Poison has been suppressed on the leg for a long time and the damage to the leg was worse than they initially thought. The surrounding muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves were badly damaged. To promote better and faster healing Yi Sheng has been feeding Xiao Xue numerous pills and doing acupuncture. 

But because the poison is still in her system, even if the leg was now relatively healed and cleansed, Xiao Xue could still feel a certain amount of pain on it. This result was beyond Yi Sheng’s expectations. He was certain there would be no pain or further problem with the leg but reality proved to be otherwise. In the end, he could only lament and strive to minimize the discomfort for his newly acquired disciple.

Treating the scars on her face would have to wait when her body is stronger. Detoxifying the poison from the area would be harder. The poison has already damaged her eye and in order to restore her vision there are some conditions they have to fulfill. These conditions cannot be satisfied until Xiao Xue’s body is in top condition. They could try to force the detoxification process like last time but because her dantian was damaged, it could create more harm than good.

Xiao Xue could see how dejected Yi Sheng was. She could understand the old man’s worry but to her the matter about her leg was already resolved. She could feel leg and move her feet like a normal person. Yes, there’s pain but compared to how it was before, the current degree of pain was nothing.

“Master worries too much,” she teased, trying to lift the old man’s mood. If she allowed him to feel depressed her senior brother would surely suffer the repercussions later. “I am already happy with my leg’s recovery. It just needs time.”

Yi Sheng glared at her before turning his weary head away. “You are too easy to please.” He mumbled testily but after hearing her words his heart felt a little lighter. This apprentice of his was really too gentle and kind. If he cannot fully heal her, hYi Sheng thought he should just quit medicine and change his name! 

Yi Sheng took out two scrolls and placed them on the bedside table. “Read these while I am away. If you have questions, ask your senior brother. He may be stupid but he knows at least this much!”

Xiao Xue chuckled and lightly shook her head. Yi Sheng is very strict with Yi Xin. It’s understandable, Yi Xin could be considered as Yi Sheng’s adopted grandson. Yi Sheng found Yi Xin during one of his travels, abandoned on the mountains. Yi Xin was only three years old back then. It was a miracle how the young Yi Xin managed to survive numerous days alone in the wild with ravenous spiritual beasts at large. But Yi Xin’s fate must be linked with Yi Sheng’s as it was he who timely saved Yi Xin and raised him afterwards.

It wasn’t Yi Sheng’s intention to raise Yi Xin as a doctor or an alchemist. But as he grew older, Yi Xin displayed a rare talent in both medicine and alchemy. Gradually, Yi Sheng imparted his knowledge to Yi Xin and the younger man took to learning like a sponge absorbing water. He was insatiable! Yi Sheng might grumble and scold but inside he was quite proud of Yi Xin’s accomplishments and had already determined Yi Xin to be his successor.

“Master, why are you leaving so soon?” Xiao Xue asked. She likes spending time with the old man while learning medicine and alchemy. Xie Yuan would mumble for attention when they are alone but even he knows how riveted she is to learn from Yi Sheng. “If it’s about the poison, since my body is now on the mend there is no hurry to…”

“No! Your situation cannot be delayed. Absolutely not!” Yi Sheng has been postponing his departure to make sure Xiao Xue’s condition was stable before he leaves. After the unexpected issue on her leg, Yi Sheng felt the longer the Body Eroding Poison is left on her system the longer it will create havoc in her body. The situation cannot be allowed to go on otherwise it would create irreversible damage that even he would not be able to cure. “The sooner we detoxify your poison the sooner we can fix your dantian!”

Xiao Xue nodded obediently but from the look on her eyes one could detect a tinge of reluctance and slight disagreement. Of course she understands that the situation of her body, at the moment, is not ideal. But Xiao Xue has never spent her days in sweet abandon before. She has never been this relaxed and carefree since she crossed over to this world.

From the beginning all her time and effort were spent on surviving the unknown and cultivating in order to repay her benefactor. Xiao Xue never had any great aspiration to begin with so following the flow was tiring but suitable. But now, curiously, for the first time in years, she felt at peace.

“Little girl, have you heard of Phoenix Revival Pill?” Yi Sheng asked after a while.

Xiao Xue silently shook her head in response. Yi Sheng breathed out calmly and nodded in understanding.

It’s not surprising for Xiao Xue not to know about Phoenix Revival Pill even in the Upper Realms the pill is not commonly known. But oddly enough, some of the herbs needed to refine this pill could only be found in the Lower Realm, specifically in Lyra.

“As its name suggests Phoenix Revival Pill can allow a cultivator to be reborn. It’s a miraculous pill with yin-yang attributes that repairs a cultivator’s body.” Yi Sheng explained. “Consuming this pill, for an injured cultivator, is as good as having a new lease in life. The pill cures the body of its hidden injuries and cleanses the impurities. Most importantly, the Phoenix Revival Pill refines the body to its peak condition.”

“So heaven defying!” Xiao Xue couldn’t help but exclaim. She’d never heard of a medicine so powerful and miraculous before.

“I’ve seen its effect, once, on a cultivator whose cultivation could be considered wasted. His meridians were severed and his dantian was shattered. But after consuming the Phoenix Revival Pill not only did his injuries heal he even managed to break through the bottleneck that has been plaguing him for a long time!” Yi Sheng’s eyes glazed over like he was recalling the memory. It was hundreds of years ago when he was still an unknown doctor but it felt like it was only yesterday. The alchemist who concocted the pill was a close friend and Yi Sheng would never forget the day when he personally witnessed its brilliance. “With the Phoenix Revival Pill we can fix your dantian and thoroughly cleanse your body.”

Xiao Xue nodded in assent but was a little skeptical. Such a legendary pill will be hard to refine or acquire. Although Yi Sheng’s achievement in medicine is unparalleled, his alchemy skills are not as high. If he tries to refine a pill that’s not within his capabilities it might cause damage to his foundation and Xiao Xue does not want that. She’d rather keep her broken dantian than bring harm to Master who’s been so kind to her.

Yi Sheng noticed Xiao Xue’s apprehensive expression and ruthlessly slapped her forehead. “Stupid disciple, even if your master cannot refine this pill I know someone who does! I wouldn’t have mentioned its existence if I wasn’t sure we would be able to acquire it.” He scolded. “All we need to do is provide the herbs and bribe him with treasures and he will do it. Besides that guy owes me a favor so he would definitely consent. You should trust your Master!”

Xiao Xue rubbed her forehead and sighed. “This disciple understands.”

“Humph!” Yi Sheng waved his sleeves and left the room in a huff. He understood what Xiao Xue was worried about and he was thankful for it. But her worry was unnecessary. Even if he was arrogant, Yi Sheng knows his limitations. He’s quite prudent on what he could and could not do and in this case he would need his old friend’s help.

Even if that old coot decides to sabotage him, Yi Sheng has Xie Yuan on his side so it’ll be impossible to decline this favor. And if the person is still not swayed, for the sake of his little disciple, Yi Sheng could just steal the pill! He knows where his old friend keeps his secret stash and would be able to ‘borrow’ some if necessary.

9