Chapter Twenty-Five: Teach a Lesson
206 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Xue stood at an inconspicuous spot within the forest. Curiously, the ceremony was in progress. From where she stood, Xiao Xue could see a raised altar littered with various offerings of jade, gold and other treasures. Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling stood by the altar as they presided over the ceremony with solemn but avaricious expressions.

The Feast of Saints and Spirits is a ritual in honor of the fallen priestesses of Spirit Temple. It’s tradition for the current priestess of the temple to preside over the ceremony in order to give thanks and praise to the fallen ancestors. This is the reason why Xiao Xue was eager to go back to Spirit Temple even in the face of Xie Yuan’s disapproval. 

Xiao Xue had never missed the Feast of Saints and Spirits since she stepped within the holy grounds of Spirit Temple. Her Master was quite lax with other rituals and would allow her and her senior sisters to occasionally skip a ceremony, if they had valid reasons. But when it comes to the Feast of Saints and Spirits, regardless of the reason, everyone within the temple, especially the disciples, have to be present as a sign of respect to the previous priestesses and their dedication to Spirit Temple.

The Feast of Saints and Spirits is an important event for the Temple but never has there been a ceremony where disciples were asked to pay ‘tribute’ in the form of jade and gold! Xiao Xue could not help but feel offended by what she was witnessing. When Master was still alive they would come to the shrine early in the morning to prepare. The ceremony was simple but intimate, spiritual. Unlike today, there was no huge crowd or grand altar. It was a holy ritual performed in the memory of their predecessors.

It is called a feast or a ceremony but it’s more like the human tradition of tomb sweeping. Before, they gather early and stay for the entire day. Under Master’s supervision, the four of them would clean the shrine, wipe the memorial tablets, light incense and strengthen the surrounding barrier. 

Today’s ‘ceremony’ is nothing but a desecration of one of the temple’s most sacred traditions. Xiao Xue doesn’t understand what her senior sisters were thinking and was gravely upset after witnessing such a travesty.

Once the offering of tributes was done, Wan Yu stepped forward and carefully scanned the crowd. Her beautiful face solemn, almost pious, but staring at that seemingly perfect visage made Xiao Xue’s frown grow deeper. 

“Today is a day of remembrance and thanksgiving.” Wan Yu said after a while, her tone was calm and her bearing natural. “In memory of our immortal founder and fallen masters, we give praise and glory for their protection. Let us all hope that the ancestors will continue to bless our Spirit Temple and all its disciples for many years to come. You may disperse!”

As she watched the crowd disappear from sight, Xiao Xue slowly made her way to the clearing. She frowned when she noticed Master’s memorial tablet left on the altar. All the treasures, gold and precious items were taken and securely kept within gleaming wooden chests when everyone left but no one bothered to bring Master’s memorial tablet back to the shrine.

Xiao Xue knelt before the memorial tablet and bowed until her forehead hit the ground, her eyes misty and her heart sour. There were no words to express how ashamed and angry she felt at the moment. How could she allow this to happen? How could they do this to master? After kneeling for a while she stood up and carefully carried the memorial tablet back to the shrine.

The shrine was but a small cave carved to look like a mini pavilion. Sticks of incense burned on all sides of the shrine but from the wafting scent it appears no one bothered to clean the burners since Xiao Xue’s last visit. 

Xiao Xue placed the memorial tablet back to its original place but not before wiping it clean with her silk kerchief. With slow and practiced movements, Xiao Xue moved to where the cleaning tools were kept and proceeded to carefully wipe all the memorial tablets within the shrine. She did not realize she was crying until her tears fell on the worn surface of one of the tablets that she was diligently wiping.

After Master passed away, her senior sisters immediately broke the tradition of the Feast of Saints and Spirits. All three stopped concerning themselves about the ceremony and told her to manage it by herself as it was her duty as the current Priestess. 

If they did not want to concern themselves with the ceremony, why did they oversee it today? And why did they perform the ritual in a way that would offend, rather than gratify, the ancestors? Xiao Xue felt ashamed. Their mockery of a special tradition was carried out under her watch. The fault should be blamed on her and the shame that comes with it is hers to bear!

When the previous Priestess named her the successor, Xiao Xue felt she owed her senior sisters. No one said anything to her face but their behavior was more than enough to show that they were dissatisfied with her and Master’s choice. Due to this, Xiao Xue never tried to compete or argue with her senior sisters. 

Even when they do something unreasonable or irresponsible Xiao Xue would keep quiet and endure, thinking it was not her place to object. But today the three have gone too far! The memorial was supposed to be an intimate ceremony, a respectful affair. It was not a way to collect and amass wealth from the temple’s unknowing disciples!

Xiao Xue felt deep regret. She should have shown herself during the ceremony when she realized something was off. She should have told them to stop but she did not. She stood on her little corner and watched like she did dozens of times before. Habit really is a curious and dangerous thing. Xiao Xue allowed the ancestors to be disrespected because she did not want to confront her senior sisters. She did not want to confront them not because she did not have the capacity to do so but because she got used to giving way. What she did was wrong and Xiao Xue was very disappointed in herself. Now, even if she performs the proper procedures, it would not omit her mistakes. It cannot cover up the fact that she messed up.

“He Ling…” Xiao Xue whispered after she finished cleaning the shrine.

A man in black clothes appeared and knelt by the entrance. “Your servant is here, young mistress.”  

He Ling was surprised when he heard Xiao Xue call for him, specifically. The young lord ordered him to secretly follow the young mistress and stressed that he may not appear before Xiao Xue unless it was absolutely necessary. He Ling knew the position of the young mistress in his Master’s heart and was careful with the task. 

But he doesn’t understand when Xiao Xue realized she was being followed. Even if Xiao Xue knew that Xie Yuan arranged for someone to protect her, how did she guess it was him and not his brother or Yan Hao? The three of them were Xie Yuan’s personal guards so they did not personally interact with her, unlike Zhang Lao, Li Song, Yi Sheng and Yi Xin. 

Everyone in the manor knows Xiao Xue’s dantian is currently broken so how did she perceive He Ling and single him out from the others without the use of her spiritual energy?

“Go back to the manor and tell Xie Yuan I will return in three days.” Xiao Xue said as she knelt in front of the memorial tablets. She was supposed to go back to the manor today, this was one of Xie Yuan’s conditions for letting her go. But after what happened today Xiao Xue cannot leave, not yet.

“Young mistress?” He Ling hoped he heard wrong. He cannot leave Xiao Xue alone. If he goes back without the young mistress the young lord would surely murder him! 

Xiao Xue’s head was half-turned so all he could see was her side profile. But from the tone of her voice, he knew she was serious and he was screwed!

“Ah Yu will worry if I do not come back today if you go and inform him. I will stay here and go back after three days.” Unaware of He Ling’s trouble, Xiao Xue continued. “There is no danger here, Xie Yuan knows that. There is no need for you to stay and protect me. Go back!”

He Ling wanted to protest but before he could speak, Xiao Xue already turned back and started chanting. He wanted to stay and wait for her to finish but all of a sudden he felt a certain pressure on his body. The invisible force gradually pushed him towards the tree line. It slowly moved him away from the shrine. 

He Ling was shocked at the sudden occurrence. When he tried to walk back, he was repelled and kept away by an invisible barrier. After confirming Xiao Xue’s safety and left with no other choice, He Ling turned and went down the mountain, heading back to the manor.

Xiao Xue knelt at the shrine for three days, chanting the entire time to reinforce the barrier that protects the place. Although she cannot use spiritual energy the barrier surrounding the shrine was set up differently. Instead of spiritual energy Xiao Xue needed to evoke her internal force while chanting the sutras. This charges the talismans within the formation and fortifies the barrier surrounding the shrine

On the third day, Xiao Xue stood up and bowed deeply towards the memorial tablets before walking outside. Her heart was reluctant and a little heavy. Xiao Xue does not know when she will be able to return after she leaves with Xie Yuan. But Xiao Xue knows that this parting is not the end. Spirit Temple will always be a part of her and in the future she will return.

Xiao Xue sighed and stretched dejectedly before heading back. But on the narrow path, half-way down the mountain, Xiao Xue stopped walking and mysteriously smiled. 

“Greetings, senior sisters.” Xiao Xue greeted. “I hope you are all well.” 

They tried to hide their presence but Xiao Xue was still able to perceive them. Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling flashed one after another and stood not far from her, blocking the path forward.

Observing their behavior, Xiao Xue was suddenly amused. The moment she stepped on temple grounds they should have been alerted by her presence. But instead of looking for her the moment she arrived, the three decided to confront Xiao Xue today. 

From the barely suppressed rage and aggressive look on Mei Ling’s face, the cold chill emanating from Rui Qin’s gaze and Wan Yu’s oppressive aura, it could be surmised that they did not come with good intentions.

“It’s good that you are back.” Rui Qin said, trying but failing to suppress the callous tone of her voice “There’s a lot to be done. Now that the disciples are aware of your position as High Priestess, you must learn to behave yourself and stop wandering everywhere!”

Xiao Xue did not respond but she could feel the tyrannical pressure emanating from their bodies. “Senior sisters, there is no need for this...” She said gently. Due to her lack of spiritual energy protection Xiao Xue felt a slight discomfort from their intimidation. But because her cultivation was originally higher than theirs, it did not pose any threat. “I came to inform you that I will be fulfilling one of Master’s behest. I am to travel outside and learn through experience. Now that the beast tide is over there is no use for me to stay within the temple.”

The three were shocked at Xiao Xue’s declaration. When the Spirit Pearl glowed brightly three days ago they knew Xiao Xue was within the temple grounds. They sent disciples to escort her back but the barrier surrounding the shrine was at its strongest while Xiao Xue was chanting  and no one could pass through. They had no choice but to wait until today to compel Xiao Xue to go back to the temple. 

The three thought it would be a simple task. They did not expect, did not even think of the possibility, that Xiao Xue would refuse. Even if it was true, that it was Master’s wish for Xiao Xue to travel outside, they cannot, under no circumstance, allow Xiao Xue to leave. Not with the current situation within the valley and especially not with Xie Yuan!

After the beast tide, Xiao Xue’s identity as Spirit Temple’s High Priestess was revealed. If she leaves now and travels with the young master of another sect people will give credit to the rumors being spread about the temple. Their previous treatment of Xiao Xue would be laid bare for all to scrutinize and their pristine reputations would suffer. 

Because of their misleading behavior a lot of disciples were agitated and unhappy after the beast tide. Varying speculations rose within and outside of Infernal Rise Valley and none of them were complementary to the three elders. If the disciples realize that Xiao Xue, the High Priestess, left Spirit Temple they would surely abandon them!

After the fact, Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling silently cursed themselves for being shortsighted due to jealousy. Only now, when their and the temple’s reputation hangs into balance, do they realize the impact of Xiao Xue’s presence. 

But there’s no use overthinking. Even if they wanted to, they cannot change the past nor predict the future. Still, they can do something about the present. If Xiao Xue refuses to go back to the temple with them, she cannot blame them for using force. Before meeting Xiao Xue the three already decided that if they cannot make her surrender it was better to eliminate her to avoid further complications. 

Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling immediately stood in formation and resolutely faced Xiao Xue.

Seeing their resolute but antagonistic stance Xiao Xue sighed and asked, “You’ve been trying to drive me away since Master passed away. Why are you doing this now that I want to leave?” 

It’s not that Xiao Xue cannot understand their thoughts but it came as a revelation how her senior sisters do not have the courage nor the determination to weather through the bad situation they created. Master once said that the three were too spoiled and proud. They grew up in good environments with no obstacles or hardship in their paths. This is not bad if one learned to be prudent and act according to the situation. But when one’s every whim is easily satisfied and meeting demands requires no effort, how could anyone learn to be prudent? Their smooth sailing life made their vision shallow and the things they care about became superficial.

“You cannot leave!” Mei Ling screeched, taking out her weapon.

“Regardless of what happened in the past, you are the High Priestess, you cannot abandon the temple!” Rui Qin tried to reason but like Mei Ling she too took out her weapon.

Wan Yu did not speak or move but her aura cold showed her stand.

Xiao Xue wrinkled her brows and stared at the three women in disappointment. Master once asked her to watch over her senior sisters. Master felt that although Xiao Xue is the youngest she has experienced more in life and was not as naïve. 

Xiao Xue has been remiss on this point thinking her senior sisters would learn on their own, given time. But from their recent actions it appears she has to intervene. And yes, teach them a lesson.

Xiao Xue gently smiled and asked, “If I want to leave, do you think the three of you could stop me?”

8