Chapter Twenty-Seven: Leaving Infernal Rise Valley
238 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dark aura spreading through the manor was getting thicker by the day. Most of the servants with low level cultivation were replaced by mid or high-level cultivators to prevent accidents. Zhang Lao and Li Song took turns in serving the Xie Yuan while He Heng, Yan Hao and He Ling were kept away.

Three days ago, He Ling came back to the manor, alone, as per orders of the young mistress. The young lord did not bother to hear his explanation and directly thrashed He Ling upon his return. Since then He Ling has been recuperating under Yi Xin’s care in an inn outside and the other two guards were advised not to show their faces. 

It was apparent that the young lord is not taking the young mistress’ absence well. Everyone is worried. Xie Yuan has not been resting since Xiao Xue went back to Spirit Temple. He’s been against her decision to go and they were at odds for days after their ‘talk’. But in the end Xie Yuan couldn’t do anything and had to capitulate. 

When He Ling was sent to watch after Xiao Xue it was more for the young lord’s peace of mind than anything else. That’s why when He Ling returned alone they were fearful for his life. The young lord gave him specific instructions which were not met. As a personal guard, such an occasion would incur a punishment equal to the offense. But because He Ling, He Heng and Yan Hao were considered more like brothers than subordinates the punishment was usually a slight reprimand. 

But the fault committed in this case is connected to the young mistress and her safety. Everyone knew Xie Yuan would not be able to control himself. They’ve seen how Xie Yuan was when the young mistress was incapacitated and her life and death were uncertain. They watched him care for her and nurse her back to health with his own hands. All of them understood, too well, that the young lady was their young lord’s future. Even if he wanted to be rational with things that involved her, he cannot. So how could He Ling survive after he left her alone in a place that would likely be the death of her, with no protection whatsoever? 

If not for He Heng and Yan Hao’s timely intervention and Zhang Lao patient entreaty, He Ling would have lost his life or have his cultivation crippled by Xie Yuan. 

Xie Yuan was so incensed it took all his willpower not to break relations with the group and send them packing. After venting his anger, Xie Yuan ordered them to scram and not show their faces unless called upon.

Three days… Only the heavens know how those three days were spent within the manor. 

When the dawn of the third day broke, everyone fervently prayed for Xiao Xue’s return. If the young mistress does not come back within the day, Spirit Temple would be done for and all of them would be buried with it.

“Is there still no sign of her?” Xie Yuan asked through clenched teeth. His cold and dangerous aura radiating in heavy waves.

Xiao Xue cannot use spiritual energy. She’s vulnerable to any form of attack. Even a street dweller, with no cultivation, would be able to overpower her if they have a mind to do so. If her senior sisters, who harbored ill intent, decides to act against her, Xiao Xue would not be able to fight back! 

Xie Yuan deeply regretted his decision to let Xiao Xue go alone. Agreeing to her request not to follow and waiting for her to come back was another mistake he will not dare repeat again. Now he doesn’t even know if she is well or not, if she will come back or not.

Xie Yuan sat on the same spot, without food or rest. He kept his vigil for three days now. Aside from meditating he would ask the same question to anyone who was tasked to serve him at that moment and if the answer was not what he wanted to hear, he would proceed to ignore them for the rest of the time.

If not for Zhang Lao and Li Song’s diligence and patience in pacifying Xie Yuan, he would have flown to the temple and torched the place until he found Xiao Xue.

Before she left, Xiao Xue gave instructions to Zhang Lao and Li Song. She knew Xie Yuan would overthink after some time and Xiao Xue wanted the others to stall him for as long as they could. At first, Xiao Xue wanted to ask her apprentice brother but Yi Xin ran away before she could tell him what to do. And so, the task of calming down Xie Yuan was left to Zhang Lao and Li Song.  

Now that it has been days, the two are severely stressed and running out of ideas to deter Xie Yuan from storming to the temple. Zhang Lao and Li Song were so mentally exhausted that they both ardently prayed that nothing untoward happens to the young mistress. For fear of suffering the same circumstance and incurring the young lord’s murderous rage again, everyone tacitly agreed never to let Xiao Xue out of their sight again!

“Young lord, perhaps the young mistress is on her way.” Zhang Lao answered in a mild tone. “We can wait for a few hours more before making a move.”

Xie Yuan clenched his teeth and closed his eyes in agony. It’s been three days. How much longer does he have to wait? Xiao Xue’s message did not clarify anything. Actually, the short message did not explain anything at all! They agreed that she would go for the day. She promised she would come back soon.  Why did she change her mind? Why isn’t she back yet?

“Check again!” Xie Yuan bit out in fury.

Li Song arranged people all over Infernal Rise Valley and around Spirit Temple to easily spot Xiao Xue and at the same time appease Xie Yuan’s anger. But as the day slowly passed with no sign of her, not even her shadow, everyone started to grow nervous. People within the manor silently lit a candle for the three elders of Spirit Temple in their hearts. If anything happens to the young mistress those three would be the first to go!

Finally giving in to trepidation, Zhang Lao secretly gave He Heng and Yan Hao a signal to go up the mountains to check the situation. But before any of them could act, Xie Yuan flashed outside. Alarmed, Zhang Lao immediately followed.

“Young lord!” Zhang Lao called out as he beckoned for He Heng and Yan Hao to follow.

The three managed to catch up to Xie Yuan but was not able to change his mind to go back and wait a bit longer. Since they could not manage to convince him they were resolved to support him. To be fair, Xie Yuan held back for three days. It was already a huge concession, considering his temper. 

Although their young lord was willful and the day was not yet over he could not be blamed for feeling anxious. Spirit Temple is not a place for the young mistress to be, bearing in mind her present condition and the odd treatment she suffered there. Hopefully, Xiao Xue would not blame them too much for failing to stall Xie Yuan and buy her more time.

As the three approached the temple the killing intent surrounding Xie Yuan spiked as well. Zhang Lao gravely ordered He Heng and Yan Hao to be more alert. They do not know what they would encounter once they reach their destination. The safety of the young lord and young mistress cannot be taken lightly!

“Ah Yu!” The sound was faint, barely discernible, but Xie Yuan and the other three heard and recognized it.

Zhang Lao could not help but breathe a sigh of relief, wiping his weathered brow with his sleeves. He looked up at the sky and started ruminating. Maybe it’s time to find a successor to take his place.

While the others were relieved, Xie Yuan was on high alert. He carefully scanned the surroundings and when his amethyst colored eyes locked on the figure of the person he’d been missing, he rushed to take her in his arms.

“You broke your promise again!” Xie Yuan complained as he buried his face on the junction between her neck and shoulder. His heart skipped a beat when he smelled a faint scent of blood from her body. He immediately let her go to check if she was injured. But aside from her unhealthy pallor, Xiao Xue does not seem to be wounded anywhere.

Seeing his concern and unease, Xiao Xue reached out to lightly scratch his jaw. “I am not injured, just tired.” She explained. “Let’s go home.”

Earlier, because she used spiritual energy, Xiao Xue spat out blood to relieve the pressure on her chest. Xiao Xue could have gone back to the manor sooner but she did not want Xie Yuan to see her suddenly weakened state. She spent the day in the cave to meditate and recover her lost vitality. But from Xie Yuan’s panicked reaction, Xiao Xue guessed her action was unnecessary. Her prolonged absence did more harm than good.

Home… Xie Yuan was momentarily struck dumb by the word. That’s right, from now on, Xiao Xue’s home would be with him and his home would be with her. Wherever they are would be the place they would call home! 

The fear and resentment in Xie Yuan’s heart was replaced with unadulterated happiness and excitement. This would be the last time they would be separated. Now that Xiao Xue has done what her Master asked her to do, she's free. Without a word, he stooped down and carried Xiao Xue in his arms. He rushed to the manor under the curious gazes of the citizens of Infernal Rise Valley. 

Xie Yuan was determined to leave the valley as soon as possible. Staying would only create nuisances that he was not inclined to entertain. The farther they are from Infernal Rise Valley and Spirit Temple, the better they would be.

“This is the last time!” Xie Yuan whispered angrily as he looked at Xiao Xue’s pale complexion. 

Even if no words were spoken, Xie Yuan knew that Xiao Xue did something she was not supposed to do while she was away. Xie Yuan doesn’t know if Xiao Xue was forced by circumstance or not but it doesn’t really matter. It’s done and there’s nothing he could do about it. His naughty little wife is suffering, blaming her would be superfluous after the fact. Xie Yuan has to get her back to the manor for treatment and then they would leave. 

“I will not be swayed next time, Little Xue. Never again!” He vowed.

7