Chapter Six: The Spirit Temple
369 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue stepped on temple grounds they caused a commotion. In less than an hour a sensational story swept the temple like a storm.

The shameless trash brought back a man she’s been detaining at the mountains!

There wouldn’t be an uproar if the man was another ordinary cultivator, like the ones she’d taken in before. But this time, the man involved previously stayed at the temple as the elders’ personal guest. Back then, the mysterious man arrived anonymously and created a sensation with his deity-like disposition and powerful aura. He did not arrive with an entourage or retainers but everyone could detect that he’s from a powerful faction. No one was privy to his real identity except for the temple’s elders but during his short stay everyone within the temple were warned to be cautious and serve him with care. It was apparent that he’s not someone the temple could provoke.

As they approached the grand hall, Xiao Xue could vaguely make out the silhouette of her senior sisters and their selected inheriting disciples, beautifully lined up in formation.

“I’m sorry, Big brother Yuan.” She muttered under her breath, feeling a heavy weight pressing at her chest.

“Why are you apologizing?” Xie Yuan was sensitive to the atmosphere within the temple. There were rude whispers the moment they arrived. Wherever they passed the gazes of the disciples were unfriendly and full of loathing. But none of the callous behavior was directed at him. It was all aimed at Xiao Xue!

With his background and complicated identity, it was inevitable that Xie Yuan would have to confront the cruel and crude behavior of others. He grew up in an environment where every action was scrutinized so he learned how to tune out his surroundings and block unnecessary or unwanted attention.

From the undisguised hostility aimed towards Xiao Xue, one would be inclined to think she committed an unpardonable crime against the temple. To incur such wretched treatment even someone who’s naturally calm and level-headed would suffer from the psychological backlash. Even someone like him, who’s used to ignoring the status quo, cannot ignore the appalling situation especially when the one involved was Xiao Xue.

“I hoped fewer people would see us together. I wanted to take a path with less people but I miscalculated. They’ve been waiting for us for quite some time, it seems, and we wouldn’t be able to skirt around them even if I knew veiled routes. But do not worry, my senior sisters will take care of you and will clear any misunderstanding in the future.”

She wanted fewer people to see them together? Misunderstanding about what? Xie Yuan’s temper flared but he ruthlessly calmed himself. He wanted to correct Xiao Xue but didn’t know how to explain it in a way that would not frighten her. For now, any talk of a future relationship or development between them would definitely scare Xiao Xue. Xie Yuan was not in a rush but he’s in a bind. If a similar situation occurs in the future he’d be at a disadvantage if the current situation is not handled with care.

How could he tell Xiao Xue that he doesn’t want to be taken care of by her senior sisters? How could he say there’s no misunderstanding between them, that he wanted to be with her? Xie Yuan needs Xiao Xue to understand exactly what he wants. But if he told her about his feelings now, Xiao Xue might run away from him. The situation has to be dealt with properly or it would be a problem later.

Xie Yuan knew he cannot be too vocal nor too forward but that does not mean he cannot state his stand in other ways. But before he could move and make his position clear, a melodic voice sounded not far from them. Apparently, the elders have waited too long and were not willing to stand idle any longer.

“Young Master Xie, welcome back!” Mei Ling, the third elder, greeted sweetly as she walked forward to receive him. She unceremoniously hooked her arm around his and slightly pulled him forward, keeping her lush body next to his.

As soon as the words ‘young master’ spread out, a new commotion started. Those who previously did not care about Xie Yuan’s identity were now interested.

Xie Yuan frowned. He tactfully pulled his arm away from Mei Ling’s grasp and took a step back. It’s not like he wanted to come to the temple, especially after how they tried so hard to detain him last time he was here. His previous stay as the elders’ guest proved to be a huge mistake! 

Xie Yuan was annoyed at how ambiguously Mei Ling was acting, such a greeting could be misinterpreted, especially with Mei Ling’s overly familiar behavior. But the others looked on, as if it was normal.

Rui Qin and Wan Yu, the other elders, also stepped forward to greet him. Xie Yuan strained to act politely. He did not want to be rude, for Xiao Xue’s sake, and saluted all three elders as he politely entertained their attempts at conversation.

To be fair, there’s nothing wrong with how the elders were behaving. Although their small gestures bordered on impropriety it’s not like anything untoward was said or done. But Xie Yuan was ill at ease. Xiao Xue was pushed in the background and was now standing far from him as the three elders brazenly curried favor. Xie Yuan did not want Xiao Xue to misunderstand but at the same time he cannot be discourteous to the elders of the temple just in case he needed them in the future for Xiao Xue’s sake.

Rui Qin, Wan Yu and Mei Ling are the three core disciples of the previous priestess. They are Xiao Xue’s senior sisters. All three are equally exquisite in appearance and if one were to look closely each woman was incomparable to the other because each has their own unique beauty.

Rui Qin, the eldest, gives off the vibe of a gentle scholar, aloof and somewhat restrained. One would not be tired of looking at her lily-white beauty and obsess about uncovering what lies beneath the cool and calm exterior.

Wan Yu in contrast is fire and blood. She’s the perfect embodiment of a man’s fantasy, someone to worship and admire. Wan Yu’s beauty is the type that conquers and does not allow any form of resistance. Deliberate or not, she has a seductive air about her that could drive a man to insanity.

While Rui Qin and Wan Yu portray different types of maturity, Mei Ling, the youngest of the three, possesses a disposition that elicits protective feelings from others. In the face of her cheerful smile, one would have the tendency to spoil and pamper. She oozes a sort of uninhibited innocence that one would want to claim and eventually corrupt.

After witnessing the elders’ ingratiating attitude towards the esteemed guest, the surrounding disciples started to speculate about his relationship to the temple and the elders. Everyone deduced that the man was from a powerful faction, only personages from those forces could attract their elders’ eyes. But which faction, exactly, remains unknown.

If Xie Yuan was not giving consideration to Xiao Xue’s relationship to the temple, he would have left long ago. He’d met a lot of these types of women before, vultures and cunning foxes, so bloodthirsty that if one was not paying attention one would be eaten and exploited until nothing’s left but skin and bones. These sorts of women usually prey on people who are useful to them and would use any means necessary to ingratiate themselves. If his identity was not exposed to them during his previous visit, he doubted any of them would pay attention to him now.

“Young Master Xie, allow us sisters to entertain you this time.” Wan Yu took the lead and motioned for him to join them at the grand hall. The three elders were beaming happily. Everything was happening within their expectations and if this continues the benefits for them would be endless!

But before Wan Yu could continue to guide Xie Yuan inside the grand hall, everyone was stunned when Xiao Xue bravely stepped forward and held them back. 

“Senior sister,” she said. “Young Master Xie was injured not too long ago and is still in need of rest.” 

The elders seemed to have forgotten Xie Yuan’s recent injury. If Xiao Xue allowed them to take him in the grand hall, Xie Yuan would be forced to sit and accompany them for hours and would probably have to endure attending a banquet in his honor.

Although the poison in Xie Yuan’s system was detoxified and his wounds were mostly healed, it’s only been days since he got severely injured. Xie Yuan’s cultivation was currently unstable. What he needs is plenty of rest, peace of mind and a quiet place to cultivate so he could stabilize his condition otherwise this incident would cause a hindrance that could affect his future breakthroughs.

Mei Ling, realizing that Xiao Xue was still present, glared at her and snapped. “Why are you here? Didn’t we tell you to keep out of sight when we have guests? Can’t you understand that you offend people when you show your disfigured face openly!”

After their Master passed away, Xiao Xue was told, numerous times, that if she wanted to stay within the temple, she had to wear a mask or a veil to cover her disfigured face. If guests from other factions are within the temple grounds, she has to stay out of the way. 

But Xiao Xue never felt ashamed of her looks or disability and did not think it was necessary to cover up. Her non-compliant behavior was seen as a form of rebellion which gravely annoyed her senior sisters. This was one of the reasons why she was banished to the back mountains.

“We can take care of Young Master Xie.” Wan Yu stated, her almond shaped eyes coldly glanced at Xiao Xue before turning away like she’d seen something unpleasant. Her words were normal but her tone and gestures were not. “You may leave and go about your business.”

Rui Qin did not say anything but her stance was quite clear. Aside from the cold aura emanating from her slender body, her vindictive and spiteful glare were not hard to miss.

For the first time, Xiao Xue felt reluctant to leave. This scene happened several times before. The people she’d saved were, at the beginning, good-humored and cordial. But once they meet her senior sisters and have a clear understanding of her position in the temple, they start to act like everyone else.

Xiao Xue expected it would happen once she brought Xie Yuan to the temple and was prepared for such an outcome. But for the first time, she did not want to simply smile and walk away. The feeling greatly confused her.

“Didn’t you hear second sister?” Mei Ling shrieked impatiently. “Scram!”

Xiao Xue felt mutinous. She did not do anything wrong, why should she leave? But in the end, she sighed in defeat. The outcome would not change no matter how she struggles. It was the same when her senior sisters decided to open the gates of Spirit Temple. She could not do anything because no one sided with her. Most of all, in consideration for her late Master, Xiao Xue did not want to cause any trouble.

Xiao Xue breathed in deeply to clear her head. Instead of feeling disappointed when Xie Yuan changes his attitude towards her, it's best if she leaves now when their relationship could still be considered friendly. For some reason, she doesn’t want to see him scorn her like the others. 

Xiao Xue was about to salute to Xie Yuan, as a form of farewell, but her shoulder was firmly grasped preventing her from bowing to him.

12