Chapter Seven: Young Master
353 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Little Xue is my benefactor,” Xie Yuan said gently. His hands lightly squeezed her shoulders, silently comforting and asking her to trust him. “How can I allow you to bow to me?”

Outside Xie Yuan looked calm and genial but inside he’s burning from rage. It’s no wonder the disciples of Spirit Temple have the gall to act unruly and would go as far as to openly slander Xiao Xue. If the elders behave in such an uncouth manner the disciples would, of course, follow their lead. How dare these people treat Xiao Xue in such a demeaning manner! At the moment, Xie Yuan wanted nothing more than to spirit Xiao Xue away. He wanted to take her far, far away from these vile and malicious people.

Ignoring the eyes around them, Xie Yuan gently held Xiao Xue’s hands. He clearly saw the disappointment, reluctance and resignation in her eyes. She believed he would renounce her and follow the others. His Little Xue didn’t even dare to look at him until he reached out to her, perhaps she was afraid of what she would see if she looked.

What have they done to her all these years? How could she live here, with these people and this sort of treatment, and stayed sane? 

Xie Yuan’s heart was distressed. He needed to be alone with Xiao Xue so he could lay her fears to rest. He wanted to tell her he’d always choose her, no matter what. Xiao Xue has to know that from now on he'd always be by her side.

“Little Xue, do you have a place here? Let’s go back and rest. I feel unwell…” It was an excuse but not entirely a lie. His heart felt unwell. How could he be fine when he could still see the pained look in her eyes?

Xie Yuan’s words were like bolts of lightning that struck everyone present. This wasn’t the first time Xiao Xue brought back a cultivator she rescued from the mountains but this is the first time someone did not pay attention to the elders. Instead of favoring the elders, the man remained courteous and stood firm by Xiao Xue’s side. And if one looked closely, he was behaving quite intimate with her!

“Young Master Xie, we prepared a courtyard for you.” Wan Yu informed gently, trying to wheedle herself into Xie Yuan’s good graces. Slyly signaling Xiao Xue with her eyes to kindly f* off and make herself scarce. “If Young Master wants to rest, I can…”

“No need!” Xie Yuan cut in, rudely, his temper finally showing. He’s amazed and proud that he managed to hold back for so long. “Elder Wan might have forgotten but during my previous visit I mentioned that I do not wish for people to know I am in the Black Highlands. This is not an official visit to Spirit Temple and I am not here on behalf of the sect. I hope my presence will be kept a secret and no news should spread outside. I am still on the road to recovery and do not wish to be disturbed. The elders do not have to bother with me, staying with Little Xue is enough!”

Mei Ling was not used to such indifferent behavior. Most of the time, she and her senior sisters were showered with praise and attention, everyone wanted their favor. And it’s even more pronounced when fourth sister was involved. No one sided with Xiao Xue to go against them, aside from Master. Now another person was deviating from the norm, Mei Ling was not resigned. 

What’s so good about the scarred b*? Why does everyone want to cater to her needs?

Mei Ling pouted her cherry red lips and thoughtlessly reached for Xie Yuan arm once more. “Young Master Xie, she’s nothing but a scarred…”

“Enough!” Xie Yuan snapped as he slapped Mei Ling’s hand away. He immediately backed away keeping Xiao Xue close to him, worried that they’d be physical with her. “Today I came because of Little Xue. If I cannot stay with her then perhaps it’s better for me to leave!”

“No!” The three objected in unison. They did not expect Xie Yuan to be this fixated on Xiao Xue. 

If word got out that Spirit Temple drove away Young Master Xie because they didn’t give him the liberty to choose the courtyard he wanted to stay in, then the temple would lose favor and offend Divine Martial Sect!

Divine Martial Sect is one of the largest factions in Lyra. It’s the number one sect in terms of strength and influence. Xie Yuan is the sect’s Young Master. In short, the future head of the sect. They cannot afford to offend him! If he wants to stay with Xiao Xue, then he will stay with Xiao Xue. They would not argue, they cannot!

“Young Master Xie may do as he pleases. In case you change your mind, do not hesitate to inform us.” Rui Qin has always been calculative. She’s certain that after staying one night at Xiao Xue’s dilapidated courtyard someone like Xie Yuan, who’s accustomed to comfort and luxury, would want to move to the place they originally prepared for him. It’s not good to force and argue with him. It would be counterproductive and would leave him with a bad impression. They could only humor him for the time being.

Mei Ling was still opposed to the idea of leaving Xie Yuan with Xiao Xue but after receiving a cold glare from Rui Qin, she reluctantly swallowed her unwillingness and settled with glowering at Xiao Xue. She silently vowed to get back at her for today’s humiliation.

Xie Yuan nodded curtly before leading Xiao Xue away, unwilling to stay and breathe the same air as these abhorrent women.

Dazed, Xiao Xue allowed herself to be led away. She couldn’t fully digest what happened. She was sure Xie Yuan would change his attitude towards her, like everyone else. The other cultivators she saved were like that, the moment they realize she has no standing at the temple they start to act like she’s an excess baggage they need to get rid of. Everyone wanted to please her famous, talented and beautiful senior sisters. It’s been a while since she received kindness from others, the last time was when Master was still alive. Xiao Xue was not used to having someone protect her. She could feel the corner of her eyes and her nose tingling, her heart feeling a bit sour. She secretly pinched herself, wondering if she might be dreaming.

Along the way Xie Yuan asked for directions as he dragged the still baffled Xiao Xue back to her courtyard. They walked towards the edge of the temple grounds and through a bamboo forest. When they arrived at the clearing where the courtyard was supposed to be, Xie Yuan’s face immediately darkened. He mentally cursed the elders for their malicious behavior.

The courtyard, if one could call it that, was nothing more than a cleared space with a ramshackle building that looked like it’ll topple over if the wind blew with a little bit of force. From the look of the temple’s main building, the elders’ courtyards, the courtyards prepared for the disciples and the guests, Xie Yuan was certain that Spirit Temple had enough money to spare. So why does Xiao Xue live in such pitiable conditions?

The surroundings were clean. It was apparent that Xiao Xue diligently tended to the small piece of land. But the building was clearly unfit for someone to live in. To be so far and isolated from everyone, it’s no wonder Xiao Xue preferred staying in the cave on the mountains. 

Staying in the cave was no different than staying in this broken-down place. The more Xie Yuan looked at the place, the more infuriated he became. Perhaps staying in the cave was better because there Xiao Xue would not have to worry about the roof caving in while she’s sleeping!

Even if Xiao Xue is not recognized by the temple as a proper disciple, she’s still the former Priestess’ personal disciple. As such, she should have a good standing within the temple and should be treated like an elder. 

But from what Xie Yuan observed, it was clear that her senior sisters are the main culprits as to why Xiao Xue cannot gain a foothold within Spirit Temple. Why do they go so far? And why doesn’t Xiao Xue protest against their maltreatment?

While Xie Yuan was silently fuming, Xiao Xue finally snapped out of her befuddled state. Although her mind was still confused and was unable to wholly accept what happened and she doesn’t understand Xie Yuan’s intentions, she decided it’s not bad to accept his grace. For now, she’ll go with the flow and enjoy the kindness while it lasts.

Xiao Xue turned her head and finally noticed Xie Yuan’s gloomy expression. She belatedly realized they'd arrived at her courtyard. She glanced at the decrepit building she called home and eyed the pristine young master standing beside her. She couldn’t help but knit her brows.

“This will not work…” She whispered more to herself than to him.

Xie Yuan lightly squeezed her hand. “What will not work?” He sounded peeved at her statement.

A deep blush stained Xiao Xue’s scarred face. It covered the back of her neck and the tip of her ears. She belatedly realized that Xie Yuan had been holding her hand from the moment they left the grand hall. To act so intimately without a care for others was a first for her. Xiao Xue wanted to shake off Xie Yuan’s hand but instead of letting go, he held her hand firmly.

“What will not work?” He patiently asked again.

Xiao Xue coughed to hide her embarrassment and replied solemnly, “I only have one other room aside from the one I use and it’s quite small. The furniture inside the house is old and worn. The other bed does not have a proper mattress. You are still recovering. I’m afraid it would be hard for you to rest if you stay there.” She stopped to think before continuing, “I’ll have to ask if it’s possible to have another bed moved for you. If not, I could ask a woodworker to come…” 

Xiao Xue started listing the things she needed to do in order to make Xie Yuan’s stay in the courtyard more comfortable, not noticing the warm and gentle smile that formed on Xie Yuan’s face.

Xie Yuan reached out and lightly flicked the tip of her nose, successfully stopping her tirade. What a treasure, he thought as his smile grew fonder. For a moment, he was worried she’d send him away. He will not go, of course, not without her. But his worries were unfounded. Apparently, the thought of sending him away did not cross her mind.  All she was fussing about was his comfort and was already devising ways to make his stay more relaxing.

“I slept in a cave with you for days, did you forget?” He tucked a loose lock of hair behind her ear. “I might not be at my best at the moment but I’m not as fragile as you think.”

Xiao Xue stiffened at the intimate action but did not make a problem out of it. Men and women should keep proper distance between each other but she’s not naïve to think that someone like Xie Yuan would be interested in someone like her. 

From her observation, Xie Yuan seems to be used to acting familiar and intimate with people he’s comfortable with. Once he feels at ease with someone, Xie Yuan tends to be affectionate and a little needy. He doesn’t seem to have bad intentions and she finds his actions endearing so she allows him such small liberties. It’s not as if there will be anything between them in the future. She would think as if she’s acquired a brother to spoil.

Still, Xiao Xue had reservations. “But that was before you were Young Master Xie…” She blurted out, unthinking.

Xie Yuan stared at her blankly and asked, “Does it matter?”

“What?”

“That I am a young master.”

There’s some hidden meaning to Xie Yuan words but Xiao Xue cannot guess what, exactly. For her, helping people was just that, helping people. Background and status do not matter when someone is in need. If a person requires her help and she’s able to provide it, Xiao Xue would render her assistance without hesitation.

“Well, no...” She answered distractedly. Xie Yuan was tracing lazy circles on the back of her hand with his thumb and it’s quite diverting. “But…” Xiao Xue was too distracted to notice the sly, predatory gleam on Xie Yuan’s amethyst eyes, even he was unaware of it. 

Xie Yuan knew from the beginning that his background doesn’t matter to Xiao Xue. He only wanted to divert her thoughts back to him. He wanted her to think of no one and nothing but him when they are together. Once he accomplished that goal, Xie Yuan felt quite pleased with himself. 

Truthfully, he’s been doubting his effect on her during the days they’ve spent alone together. He thought Xiao Xue wasn’t affected but it turns out she’s just unaware and a bit slow on the uptake.

“It’s settled.” Xie Yuan declared. His smiling eyes focused on Xiao Xue’s face.

“What is?” Xiao Xue asked, confused.

Instead of answering Xie Yuan flashed a dazzling smile and pulled Xiao Xue inside the rundown building. If she knew of his current thoughts she’d probably flee, at the fastest pace.

13