Chapter Eight: Living Together
317 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Young…”

“Call me Big Brother or I’ll get angry!”

Xiao Xue missed a step and almost dropped the tray she was holding. She lightly shook her head and composed herself. Xie Yuan was being willful again. It’s been a while since she last saw this precocious side of him and her immunity to it is currently back to zero.

When her senior sisters learned that Xiao Xue had been calling Xie Yuan ‘older brother’ they flew off the handle and forbade her from acting in such a familiar way towards him. Xiao Xue endured hours of screeching and threats. They didn’t want to let her go without a solid promise which, of course, she cannot give. But after Xiao Xue reminded them that Xie Yuan was waiting for her, the elders had no choice but to release her.

Xiao Xue has been careful not to let Xie Yuan find out about her senior sisters’ reprimand and continued to call him ‘big brother’ when they were alone. But today she was anxious due to the sudden change of the weather and momentarily slipped.

Xiao Xue stuttered a quick ‘Big Brother Yuan’ and decided it’s better to offend her senior sisters than this haughty young master. Xie Yuan’s spoiled behavior and willful look coupled with his divine presence was really bad for her heart.

Satisfied with her obedient behavior Xie Yuan smiled and motioned for her to move closer.

Due to Xie Yuan’s decision to stay with Xiao Xue, the elders ordered the temple’s kitchen to send meals specifically cooked by the chef to the courtyard every day. But for some reason, Xie Yuan refused to eat the prepared meals and would only eat the simple dishes Xiao Xue cooked for him. And though the meals were sent back, untouched, the kitchen didn’t dare slight Xie Yuan and stop sending food over.

Xiao Xue did not understand why Xie Yuan would refuse to eat the chef’s meals. He doesn’t seem to be someone who’s fastidious with his food and from her observation the prepared food always seemed to cater to his taste. When her curiosity finally got the best of her, Xia Xue plucked up the courage to ask Xie Yuan what the problem was.

Xie Yuan reasoned he would not eat the food Xiao Xue was not allowed to eat. That’s when Xiao Xue realized that although the chef sent meals on time it was only one portion.  It was clear the food was sent over with only the young master in mind. 

Xiao Xue never bothered about trifles so she never noticed the slight. But Xie Yuan wasn’t keen on such underhanded gestures and was offended by it. He sent the meals back untouched to make his displeasure known.

When Xiao Xue learned of his reason, her fragile heart felt overwhelmed and a bit smug. But only for a moment. After some thought, she got over her conceited feelings. She still felt good about the gesture but decided not to think too much.

In order to spare the chef’s feelings and effort and to prepare nutritious meals for Xie Yuan, Xiao Xue suggested for the kitchen to send ingredients instead of cooked meals. The idea was positively received and through this set up her and Xie Yuan’s living conditions improved since they didn’t need to go and forage for food in the mountains.

“I cooked some snacks. Would you like to try?” Xiao Xue hobbled to the table and arranged the dish of steamed buns and a pot of freshly brewed tea in front of him.

Strong cultivators could forgo the consumption of common food and drinks by using spiritual energy. But it is advisable to partake in a meal once in a while. And it’s wise to consume nutrients through food or pills when injured. It prevents the depletion of spiritual energy reserves and helps the body heal faster and become sturdier.

Xiao Xue has been meticulous with her care and Xie Yuan’s recuperation has been going well. Although his strength was still not at its peak, his condition was now stable. The impurities caused by his injuries, that could have affected his cultivation base, have been thoroughly purged by the spiritual herbs she’s been secretly feeding him with his meals.

Their living arrangements have been peaceful except for the time when Xie Yuan wanted to use his money to repair the house and buy the food and Xiao Xue fiercely refused. She didn’t want him to spend money on things she could easily gather without spending a single copper. Xie Yuan did not want to argue and in the end yielded to her demand. But she couldn’t change his mind about their room assignment no matter how hard she tried. Xie Yuan refused to switch rooms with her and specifically told Xiao Xue not to bother asking her senior sisters for new furniture either.

If it was up to Xie Yuan, he’d prefer for Xiao Xue to have no connections with the people of Spirit Temple. For now, it’s nothing but an idea doomed to impossibility. But his desire to take her away is stronger than before. He’s been devising ways to ask her to leave with him without inconveniencing her. The elders of Spirit Temple would definitely have an opinion so he has to make it appear that it’ll be for the benefit of the temple if Xiao Xue accompanies him to travel. But first, he has to convince her.

“Little Xue, have you ever thought about leaving the temple?” He needs to know if she’s willing and or at least would be receptive to the idea of leaving the temple. It would be ideal if he could take her away at the earliest opportunity but he doesn’t want to force anything on her. If worse comes to worst and he cannot convince her to leave, he would temporarily settle in Infernal Rise Valley and gradually help her adapt to the idea of going with him. In any case, she cannot stay in the temple for the rest of her life. If she needs time to adjust, it could all be arranged.

Xiao Xue, who was pouring a cup of tea, paused midway and eyed him closely. Lately, Xie Yuan has been asking her confusing questions out of nowhere. Sometimes he would look like he was deliberating about something and though he does not say anything, she knew it involves her. Usually, Xie Yuan was vague with his questions. This is the first time he asked her specifically and directly about something that she wants to do. It’s quite odd for him to act in such a manner but she doesn’t see any harm in indulging him.

Xiao Xue continued to pour the tea before answering, “I do have such thoughts.” Xiao Xue answered his question honestly because she doesn’t want to keep secrets from him. She was hoping to stay at the temple as repayment for Master’s kindness but now that Master is gone and her senior sisters and the disciples don't welcome her, it was more prudent to leave.

“That’s great!” Xie Yuan couldn’t hide his excitement. If Xiao Xue has thoughts then that would mean she was willing and would not need much convincing. Everything suddenly became clearer and easier for him. “Then I’d arrange for…” Before he could continue to immerse himself with the blissful thought of leaving with her, Xiao Xue reached out to lightly pat the back of his hand.

“But I cannot…” She absentmindedly said, her eyes trained outside the window as lightning slashed through the darkened sky. Not yet anyways, she mentally added.

Xie Yuan felt like he was doused with cold water. Why? He wanted to know why Xiao Xue cannot leave the temple but before he could ask she was already moving towards the door.

“Where are you going?” He called out.

“I haven’t paid respect to Master’s shrine. I have to go before the storm comes.” Xiao Xue answered without turning back or slowing down.

Visiting the shrine was something that Xiao Xue does daily without fail. Xie Yuan stole a glance at the open window and frowned. The weather’s turning fast. If she leaves now, she’ll be caught in the storm half-way up the mountains. It’s dangerous to go alone.

“I’ll go with you.” He declared.

“No, please. I’m fine going alone. The rain will come soon and you still need a few days to fully recover your strength.” Xiao Xue lightly shook her head. “If I can’t come back later, I’ll stay at the cave. Please think about your recovery and do not follow. Wait for me here.”

Xie Yuan wanted to argue but there was something in her quiet and steady gaze that stopped him. Before he could say anything to delay her further, she was already gone.

13