Chapter Ten: Through the Mist
323 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the incident, Xie Yuan became more attentive. He guarded Xiao Xue like a hawk especially after he found out that she used the herbs that were supposed to be for her medication on his meals to supplement his recovery. Luckily, Xiao Xue had prior experience in coaxing him and the incident ended before it got out of hand. But as a result, there’s another promise she has to keep and another thing he has to watch out for.

Subtle changes could be observed within Spirit Temple due to Xie Yuan’s presence. The disciples, who used to be rude and unruly, became more respectful and well behaved. There are some who could not help themselves and would snipe at Xiao Xue, when she happens to be alone, but the situation is not as dire as it was before. And to the people of Infernal Rise Valley, the sight of the disabled disciple of the Spirit Temple being tailed and guarded by an esteemed young master from a powerful faction is no longer unusual.

Although the elders of Spirit Temple attempted to suppress the story of Xiao Xue’s connection to Xie Yuan they could not fully stop it from spreading around the valley. It was apparent that the information was purposely allowed to spread and there was no question as to who allowed it to happen. This development caused more tension between Xiao Xue and her senior sisters but no matter how dissatisfied the elders are, none of them voiced out their displeasure for fear of incurring Xie Yuan’s wrath.

The next few days were calm and uneventful until the night Xie Yuan discovered Xiao Xue had disappeared.

During the day, he received a missive from his family and was about to meet with the messenger when he noticed her gone. Dread immediately filled his heart and vile thoughts plagued his mind. In an instant, his world froze and tilted to one side. How could someone steal something that was closely guarded by him?

Xie Yuan circled the courtyard and the surrounding bamboo forest twice, but no matter how he looked he couldn’t find any sign of a struggle or a fight. The knot in his heart loosened a little, finally regaining a shred of sanity. If he hadn’t managed to calm himself down, he would have flipped the entire valley to find her. This is the first time in Xie Yuan’s life that he felt extreme fear and anger and it’s all because of her.

Although there’s no sign of an assault that doesn’t mean there wasn’t one. It’s not certain if Xiao Xue left on her own or was coerced by someone. If she left on her own he just needed to find her and ask her why she ran off without saying anything to him. But if she was coerced, then whoever took her better make sure no harm befalls her or he would bathe the entire continent of Lyra with blood to appease his rage.

Xie Yuan meticulously searched the surrounding area once more and finally found faint traces of disturbance on the ground. He immediately flashed towards the direction of the tracks to follow the shallow clues. After hurrying for some time, he skidded to a halt and cursed under his breath because the tracks had  mysteriously disappeared. 

Whoever took her was well prepared. From that point escape without the fear of detection or pursuit was ideal. He tried not to panic and instantly spread his spiritual sense to feel the surroundings. Silently vowing that once he discovers the person who dared to take Xiao Xue he’d make sure to set an example out of the person to warn off others so none of this type of incident will happen again. For now, he has to remain calm.

It didn’t take him long to find a secluded, narrow path that leads down to a cave with multiple caverns. Aside from the noises that the forest makes there was a faint sound of flowing water, nothing else. When he searched near the opening of the cave he noticed fresh, uneven footprints on the ground. 

Xie Yuan’s heart immediately beat a tattoo on his chest but he remained calm as he slowly traced his way down. He suppressed his murderous aura for fear of alerting Xiao Xue’s abductors but continued to circulate his spiritual energy, ready to release it if the situation demands. 

Inside was another opening with the steep path that goes deeper into the cave. The steep path led Xie Yuan to a bigger cavern with a deep pool of clear spring water. Smooth stones of different sizes and color illuminated the bottom of the pool and wisps of steam slowly rose up from the surface forming a thin blanket of mist, giving the cavern an unearthly feel.

Xie Yuan cautiously advanced further into the cavern and stopped by the bank of the hot spring, searching for any trace of Xiao Xue or her assailants. By chance, he noticed subtle movement within the pool. He took another step forward to get a better view and froze when someone suddenly resurfaced from the water.

Damn! Xie Yuan cussed in his head. In an instant, everything became clear; why there was no sign of a struggle or a fight, why Xiao Xue had gone without him knowing, why there were too few tracks along the way and why his search led him to this mysteriously hidden place. It was now certain there was no attacker and Xiao Xue was not taken by anyone. She left on her own.

He has to leave. Immediately! If he’s found, who knows what sort of calamity would befall him. Xie Yuan’s rationality was screaming for him to instantly turn around and run away, now, while his presence was still not discovered by the other party. But as it happens, even if his rationality understands and even if Xie Yuan knows the right thing to do his errant body would not listen!

The woman who appeared before him is the one he loves and heaven help him he was too mesmerized to move. He was too stupefied to look away! Truth be told, not even the gods would be able to move him at that moment.

Xie Yuan watched as Xiao Xue slowly stood up, slicked back her long black hair and slowly twisted it before letting it fall on her creamy shoulder. Her back was turned to him so he caught a full view of her snow-white skin that was, at the moment, flushed pink from the warm spring water. His eyes narrowed as his gaze zoned in on what appears to be a lotus flower tattooed on the middle of her back. Half of her body was still submerged in the water but since the spring is clear, it left very little to the imagination. Water droplets clung to her smooth skin, each bead glittering like jewels as it slowly slid off the slick surface of her skin back to the steamy pool.

Xie Yuan had never seen such an alluring sight before. He was so enthralled he unknowingly released the breath he’s been unconsciously holding, alerting her to his presence.

Alarmed, Xiao Xue unthinkingly turned to see who’s spying on her, giving Xie Yuan a full view of her creamy, high and bountiful peaks, flat abdominals and perfectly curved waist and hips. Seeing him blush from his neck to the tip of his ears, Xiao Xue belatedly realized she’s completely in the nude. With a shriek, she covered her assets with her hands and submerged her body back into the water.

What followed after was a long, awkward, silence that neither of them wanted to break.

Xie Yuan mentally cursed himself for being an insufferable fool. If this incident creates a rift between them, he’d never survive the blow. But even if he’s berating himself deep inside he doesn’t regret it. He reckoned what he saw tonight is something he’s bound to see, eventually. If he thought of this incident as a glimpse of what’s to come for him later, he could feel less guilty.

Xie Yuan usually has a high tolerance for carnal pleasures. Women have been throwing themselves at him since he passed his tenth spring and he never felt anything, other than revulsion, at their wanton behavior. Growing up, he was more interested in getting stronger and devoted himself wholly to cultivation. Even when his desire was forcefully awakened, he maintained his rationality and did not act on his baser instincts. But why did his famed tolerance abandon him this time? Perhaps this happens to those who are met with their heart’s desire. After all, it’s hard to act restrained and turn away from something or someone whom one is constantly craving.

While Xie Yuan was silently freaking out and contemplating on what to do or say next, Xiao Xue had already settled down. After the initial shock of finding Xie Yuan there and unknowingly showing him more than she ought to, Xiao Xue managed to compose herself and reflected as to why the unfortunate accident happened. In the end, she rationalized that she’s not completely blameless. Her sudden absence, in the middle of the night, must have alarmed Xie Yuan. If she had told him, properly, where she would be and why perhaps the accident could have been avoided.

After further deliberation, Xiao Xue managed to convince herself that the episode was not as grave as she initially thought it was. Although she feels self-conscious knowing he’d seen her body it’s not like he purposely went to the cave to spy on her while she was bathing. And aside from seeing her bare skin, which could be overlooked considering the circumstances, he hadn’t done anything inappropriate. It was a simple mishap and they are both accountable for it. Fortunately, nothing dire has happened so there’s no use overthinking.

When she noticed Xie Yuan, who was still standing by the bank seemingly lost in thoughts and didn’t know what to do, she called out and said, “Can you turn around so I could dress myself?”

Xie Yuan snapped out of his reverie, nodded in assent and immediately turned. She looked at his straight back before stepping out of the water and quickly pulling on her clothes.

Xie Yuan closed his eyes trying to block out the image that seemed to be branded on his mind. Unfortunately, the move heightened his other senses. He could distinctly hear the soft rustling of clothes behind him and smell the faint scent of bamboo that he knows belongs to her. His blood boiled and it took all his famed self-control to ruthlessly rein in his desire.

As he opened his eyes, he pointedly stared at his toes and mused as to whether this incident was a glimpse of heaven or hell for him. Xie Yuan saw Xiao Xue’s body and it was glorious! But now that he has seen it he’s bound to suffer because of it. Who knows how long until he’s allowed to peek at it again or how long until he’s given permission to touch. Now every time he looks at her, he’ll remember how seductive she looked, slick and wet within the mist, and it would be torture because he is still not allowed to touch her.

Xie Yuan pinched the bridge of his nose and heavily sighed, distinctly feeling the ache that was building in the back of his skull. He has to figure out a way to make her his, soon, otherwise he’d have to suffer in silence for the days and nights to come.

15