Chapter Fifteen: Pig Teammate
270 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A disciple came to Xiao Xue’s courtyard early the next day.

“This little disciple greets Young Master Xie.” She greeted Xie Yuan first before turning to face Xiao Xue. “The elders require your presence. You are to go to the grand hall at once.” Although stiff and a little discourteous at least she was not nasty like before.

Xie Yuan frowned at the disciple’s attitude but Xiao Xue lightly touched his arm before nodding and following the disciple out the door. Xie Yuan doesn’t know what those women want with Xiao Xue. Worried that they’re up to no good and Xiao Xue would be bullied he followed as well. When they arrived at the main hall the core disciples were there presenting their reports on various issues of the temple and accepting orders from the three elders sitting loftily on the dais.

“You may leave!” Wan Yu ordered when she noticed Xiao Xue and Xie Yuan enter the grand hall.

The disciples also noticed Xiao Xue and Xie Yuan’s arrival which raised a lot of speculation. Before Xie Yuan came to Spirit Temple, Xiao Xue was not allowed to approach much less to enter the grand hall especially when there are visitors from major sects within the temple. If the elders have need of her they would summon Xiao Xue to one of the side rooms or directly to their courtyards to avoid her being seen by others.

Most of the disciples think that this sort of ‘special’ treatment is due to the elders’ need to preserve some face by not allowing a cripple to roam freely within the temple grounds and be seen by outsiders. But some disciples, those who are more observant, suspect there might be something about Xiao Xue’s identity that the elders are trying to hide.

If the temple wanted to get rid of Xiao Xue, driving her away or permanently disposing of her is an easy task. But curiously, the elders have never made a stand in regards to her presence at the temple. Yes, they are hostile and often antagonistic but they never said or did anything to throw her out or completely cut her off. Most of their actions were in the form of bullying and making sure Xiao Xue never got to interact with others. To those who are more perceptive, it was easy to detect the elders’ peculiarity of trying very hard to ensure that Xiao Xue does not gain any foothold within the temple, not through the disciples and definitely not through its valued guests. But since everything is nothing but mere supposition and blind conjecture no one dares to question the elders or say anything on Xiao Xue’s behalf.

There’s been a lot of movement these days, within the temple and the valley. Although there hasn’t been an official statement from the upper echelons of Spirit Temple and Infernal Rise Valley, everyone comprehends those movements made are in preparation for the upcoming beast tide. And now that it’s approaching most of the temple’s disciples are reminded that from the moment they joined Spirit Temple they have not seen the Priestess, they do not even know her name. It seems that everything within the scope of managing the temple is handled by the three elders so most of the disciples assumed one of them is the current Priestess.

Now, seeing Xiao Xue appear in an unlikely place, those who have been speculating are more certain that her position in the temple is not what everyone believed it to be. Most of them were very curious but because they feared the repercussions of unwarranted inquisitiveness they did not dare to linger in the grand hall after Wan Yu’s explicit command to immediately vacate the premises.

“Senior sisters,” Xiao Xue greeted after everyone had left. She hobbled forward to stand in front of the dais and waited for them to speak.

Mei Ling snorted in disgust but seeing Xie Yuan standing behind Xiao Xue she did not say anything and just arrogantly turned her head away.

The five of them stayed in the grand hall in silence before Rui Qin respectfully addressed Xie Yuan. “Young Master Xie,” she said. “Might I be so bold as to ask you to step outside for a moment? We have matters to discuss with Xiao Xue and…”

Xie Yuan did not let her finish before rudely interrupting her with a resounding, “No.” He will not leave Xiao Xue alone with these malicious women.

After finding out that Xiao Xue is the temple’s current Priestess all the suffering and humiliation she suffered in the hands of these people resurfaced in his mind. Xie Yuan will not give them the opportunity to bully her again. How dare they sit in a higher position and look down on Xiao Xue when it’s her who should be looking down on them! The debt these women owe will be collected in the future, for now he will stick close to Xiao Xue and make sure nothing untoward happens.

“Young Master Xie, this matter is of great importance to the temple.” Wan Yu interjected. Although she’s put off by Xie Yuan’s current behavior, they cannot afford to be rude to him. “My apologies Young Master Xie, but although we have friendly relations we cannot allow an outsider to be involved.”

“You mean you cannot allow anyone to find out you’ve been harassing the High Priestess of Spirit Temple since your Master passed away.” Xie Yuan sneered, shedding all pretense of cordiality. “Enough with the subterfuge, your play at being genial bores me. Tell Little Xue what you’ve summoned her here for so we could leave sooner.” He doesn’t want to be around these revolting women longer than necessary and he definitely wants Xiao Xue away from their clutches.

Wan Yu was shocked at Xie Yuan’s aggressive attitude and threw a dirty glare at Xiao Xue. What lies has she been feeding him for Xie Yuan to act belligerently? Xie Yuan may not have been ‘friendly’ with them before but he was not this proactive. After he met and spent time with Xiao Xue his attitude towards them negatively changed. If Xiao Xue did not spout nonsense or blindsided him, why would he react so strongly against them?

Witnessing the way Xie Yuan behaved, Mei Ling lost her patience and composure. Initially, she liked Xie Yuan and was hoping to forge a connection with him to help gain more prestige for Spirit Temple. But because of Xiao Xue, her efforts to get closer to him have been overlooked. And to their utter humiliation, Xie Yuan has been giving her and her senior sisters the cold shoulder because of Xiao Xue. Mei Ling tolerated Xie Yuan’s unexpected behavior thinking it was a momentary lapse due to Xiao Xue’s manipulation but now it doesn’t seem to be that way.

“This is our Spirit Temple’s affairs, what right does Young Master Xie have to intercede?” Mei Ling blurted out, raising her chin and looking down at Xie Yuan. “This is Spirit Temple not your Divine Martial Sect where you can run amok and act rudely as much as you like!”

What Mei Ling truly desired was for Xie Yuan to feel remorse and realize that she and her senior sisters are better fit for him than Xiao Xue. Acting nice did not work on him so perhaps flaunting her ‘authority’ as an elder of the temple would work as a form of intimidation. Her main goal was to shake him up with her ‘prestige’ and if he shows even a smidgen of acquiescence or regret she will withdraw her strong stance and forget everything that happened until now.

Wan Yu and Rui Qin were startled by Mei Ling’s sudden outburst and mentally cursed her impudence and downright stupidity. It was one thing to be foolish but to be thoughtless to such a degree is a crime!

Rui Qin and Wan Yu could easily grasp Mei Ling’s petty scheme and thought it was unlucky to be on the same side with someone so senseless. What does she mean? What right does Xie Yuan have? Setting aside the fact that he’s from the strongest faction in Lyra, if Xie Yuan feels there’s injustice within the temple his reputation alone, as an esteemed cultivator, is enough to allow him to rightfully meddle with their affairs. Xie Yuan could choose to intercede in the name of righteousness and one word from him could rally a force that could make them lose their lives!

As the time ticked by, Wan Yu grew more guarded and troubled. She does not know the exact details but her father specifically warned her not to offend the Young Master of Divine Martial Sect. He stressed that Xie Yuan’s background is not something ordinary people like them could afford to offend. 

Wan Yu was stunned when she heard her father refer to their family as ‘ordinary’ but being quick on the uptake she immediately understood his meaning. If even her father, a famed and wealthy city lord, refers to himself as ‘ordinary’ in front of Xie Yuan then he must be from a noble background. There’s no prominent family within Lyra with the surname ‘Xie’ therefore one could assume that his background originates from a higher realm. 

Experts from higher realms are said to be overly proud and extremely arrogant. The slightest grievance would be avenged by burning down cities and overthrowing kingdoms. If Xie Yuan decides to move against Spirit Temple they would not be able to withstand the calamity. This is the main reason why Wan Yu has been courteous to Xie Yuan even if she’s dissatisfied with his faulty behavior. And now, because of Mei Ling’s utter idiocy, all her forbearance would be for naught!

Wan Yu always believed that Mei Ling was too young and too imprudent to be seated as an elder. But Rui Qin would not allow Mei Ling to be excluded from the seat at the high table because she fears that she, Wan Yu, would seize all the power. Rui Qin needed Mei Ling’s presence to check Wan Yu because although Wan Yu could take them one on one, she cannot take them both if they joined forces.

Wan Yu frowned to show her displeasure at Mei Ling’s blunder and was about to chide her to be quiet but was rendered speechless by Xie Yuan’s raucous laughter. Contrary to what she feared, Xie Yuan did not get angry but laughed heartily instead which, curiously, made Wan Yu more nervous.

“What right do I have?” Xie Yuan asked, smiling sweetly at Mei Ling which caused her to be dazed for a moment. Seeing the deep blush that instantly stained her cheeks, Xie Yuan was absolutely disgusted. He leisurely stepped forward, his face still carrying a hint of smile, and walked towards Mei Ling. He instantaneously released a fierce killing intent and directed it all on Mei Ling. “Let me show you what right I have!”

Mei Ling fell off her chair and groaned weakly at the sudden tyrannical pressure pushing down on her. Cold sweat drenched her back and brow as her insides churned from the intense onslaught. Although Mei Ling’s cultivation is high for her age, against Xie Yuan’s tyrannical aura she was rendered powerless.

Xie Yuan wanted to tell this woman what right he has. Within the three realms no one can tell him ‘No’ except for his esteemed Father and beloved Mother. What right does this lowly person have to question his authority? To look down on him? 

Unfortunately, a restriction was placed on his body when he was sent to this realm. If, by chance, his identity is revealed and the restriction is prematurely broken he would be summoned back without delay. Xie Yuan cannot have that. He cannot leave this realm without Xiao Xue. Instead of explaining, Xie Yuan continued to aim his brutal and murderous aura at Mei Ling to vent his anger.

Everything happened so fast none of the other people in the grand hall reacted on time. When Xiao Xue regained her senses Mei Ling was ghostly pale and had already spat a mouthful of blood.

Xie Yuan had been restless since she told him about the beast tide and except for her, he didn’t have much patience for anyone or anything else. It was understandable that he’d be crossed after Mei Ling offended him but Xiao Xue didn’t want him to harm anyone and regret the rash action later.

Fearing that Xie Yuan might make a move to physically attack Mei Ling, Xiao Xue unthinkingly called out, “Ah Yu!”

Xie Yuan paused as if in a trance, his killing intent immediately withdrawn. He flashed back to Xiao Xue’s side as if nothing happened and held her hands. “Say it again.” He urged gently. Aside from his family no one dares to call out to Xie Yuan on such familiar terms. He was waiting for Xiao Xue to become at ease with him before he asked her to change the way she addresses him but now she did it on her own. This is another step forward for their relationship and he’s beyond elated. Xie Yuan was so happy he instantly forgot Mei Ling’s affront.

Xiao Xue blushed to the tip of her ears and just shook her head at his sudden change. “Behave a little, will you?” She squeezed his fingers before looking back at her senior sisters. “You’re probably wondering if I felt the changes.” 

Seeing Wan Yu and Mei Ling stunned at their display of affection, Rui Qin, who was more composed, solemnly asked, “Is it coming?” There was no need to elaborate on what ‘it’ is. Xiao Xue is in the temple for only one reason.

Xiao Xue nodded solemnly, “If you’re going to evacuate people you should do so within the next three days. After that, even if you want to, they will not be able to leave. The visions started over a week ago and the stars have been in disarray since. It won’t be long before the beast tide arrives.”

Except in special circumstances, half of a priestess’ power is acquired through inheritance and as a result each successor would obtain fragments of memories as well. Once the priestess starts having visions it means the beast tide is coming soon and preparations have to be made for the ritual. The exact time and day would be pointed by the stars and only the priestess is able to divine when exactly the beast tide would arrive.

The hall was plunged into unnerving stillness. Each person was so silent, each could hear nothing but their own breaths.

Xie Yuan squeezed Xiao Xue’s hand, his fingers slightly shaking. He thought they would have more time, a month at least. Now it seems it’ll only be a matter of days, a week at most, before the beast tide arrives. If Xiao Xue’s prediction is true then the people his family sent to assist him would not be able to make it in time and they won’t be able to enter the valley until the beast tide subsides. 

“Are you prepared?” Wan Yu asked. She never believed Xiao Xue could do it. Setting aside the fact that Master gave Xiao Xue half of her cultivation, Xiao Xue has not been cultivating for longer than six years. Her cultivation could not be higher than theirs, who have been cultivating since young. But since she’s the only one who could evoke the matrix, they have no choice but to rely on her. Who asked Master to be so muddle headed and name such a person as her the sole successor! Until now, Wan Yu could not believe how Master abandoned her for someone like Xiao Xue.

Xiao Xue looked straight at Wan Yu and answered with confidence, “Yes, I am.”

At first, Xiao Xue was afraid. She cultivated like a madwoman because she was terrified. The lives of everyone within the temple and those in the valley are in her hands. If she falls, all of them will fall with her. If she fails, the legacy of Spirit Temple will die with her. Having that much responsibility in one’s hands would terrify anyone. But Xiao Xue had done what she could in terms of preparation and all that remains now is to wait. To see if she would be able to measure up to Master’s expectations.

Xiao Xue did not look at Xie Yuan but she squeezed his hand in return. Feeling the warmth radiating from his palm, her heart that has been in distress since her crossing over has finally calmed down. With Xie Yuan by her side she feels like she could accomplish anything.

13