Chapter Sixteen: The Beast Tide
261 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A mass of dark fog slowly formed on the horizon. Xiao Xue silently observed as it gathered, forming a shadowy cloak in the heavens and slowly creeped towards Infernal Rise Valley. 

The dark fog is, in actuality, a mass of berserk energy emanating from the spiritual beasts rampaging within the Black Highlands. The final herald of the approaching beast tide.

Xiao Xue looked back at Xie Yuan, who was standing not far from her, and said, “It’s time.”

Xie Yuan wanted to act composed but when he saw the calm, undisturbed look in her eyes he lost his resolve. Her tranquil appearance should have eased his anxiety but that look of forbearance and stillness frightened him instead. He flashed to Xiao Xu’s side, afraid that she would take flight and he would not be able to catch her.

“Do you remember what you promised me?” He asked as he lowered his head to hers, touching their foreheads together.

Xiao Xue reached out to trace his jaw line and smiled in assent.

“This is the only time I will allow you to do the ritual. The only time I will allow you to deliberately put yourself in harm’s way. After this no more, do you understand? After the beast tide is dealt with I will take you away. Just this once I will…” his voice broke off as he held her close, burying his face on her hair.

“Ah Yu,” Xiao Xue lightly massaged his back in an attempt to soothe his battered nerves.

After he learned of Xiao Xue’s real standing in the temple, Xie Yuan struggled to find other ways to protect the valley. He wanted to find a way to activate the matrix without the need for Xiao Xue to support it. If Xie Yuan had more time perhaps he would have figured out a way but unfortunately, he didn’t. The only thing he could do was to use his reputation, as Divine Martial Sect’s young master, to request for the assistance of solitary cultivators within the area to help and support the valley during the upcoming ordeal.

As promised, Xie Yuan did not get in Xiao Xue’s way. Aside from staying near her, he did not say or ask anything about the preparations or the ritual. He silently endured his grievances and his quiet suffering did not escape Xiao Xue’s notice. 

Xiao Xue attempted to ease Xie Yuan’s worries with comforting words but there’s not much she could promise him and at the end of the day, even she does not know how the ritual and the beast tide would end.

“Please, please be safe…” Xie Yuan begged, his arms tightening around her. 

Xiao Xue wiggled free out of his embrace and took his hand to place something on the middle of his palm.

“I have nothing of worth in my possession and I am sure you have things of better make and quality. All I have is this,” she said unhurriedly. “According to Master this is called a soul jade. This has been with me since I could remember and I’ve been nurturing it all these years. With this jade, as long as I’ve breath in me and my soul has not shattered, you’ll be able to feel my presence. This is the only thing I can give you. Will you accept it?”

Xie Yuan stared at the white jade resting on the middle of his palm before tenderly running his fingers on its smooth surface. The jade is about the size of a quail egg and was hanging on a thin leather strap. At first glance it appears to be clear, white as snow, with no impurities but as one looks closer there’s a trace of light blue qi swirling inside, in the middle of the jade.

The soul jade resembles a frozen drop of water but instead of feeling cold it radiates a warm, gentle aura. The same peaceful and inviting force that emanates from Xiao Xue. Xie Yuan smiled and before she could react he stooped down to plant a quick kiss on the corner of her lips.

“Hang it for me,” he whispered emotionally, handing the jade over.

Xiao Xue blushed and wordlessly tied the strap on his belt, hanging the soul jade next to his identity pendant. When she was done Xie Yuan’s fingers flickered as he stored his identity pendant on his storage ring and affectionately stated, “From now on, other than being your man I have no other identity.”

Xiao Xue was startled but did not shy away from his bold declaration. She wordlessly took his hand and entwined their fingers and headed for the town square.

Throughout the valley’s history, during the beast tide, the residents of Infernal Rise Valley as well as the wandering cultivators within the Black highlands are advised to temporarily leave or stay indoors to prevent mass hysteria during the ritual. Although the matrix will be evoked it is still prudent to act with caution during such dangerous times. 

There’s a raised platform constructed in the middle of the square where the heart of the matrix lies. This is where the Priestess performs the ritual. It is also the center field that connects the roads towards north, south, east and west gates. During the ritual all the main roads will be cleared with only the selected people from Spirit Temple standing guard to provide assistance in case of a breach.

This time should have been the same but when the elders of Spirit Temple arrived at the square, the crowd assembled around the platform stunned them. Perhaps it’s due to not knowing the identity of the current Priestess, almost every person who decided to stay in the valley was out waiting for the appearance of the person who’s bound save them all.

Seeing the throngs of people, Wan Yu dispatched the temple’s disciples to advise the crowd to disperse. They cannot allow outsiders to watch the ritual. But no one wanted to leave. Everyone wanted to see the Priestess and witness for themselves the brilliance of the ritual. A daring group even questioned Wan Yu’s command. To avoid an altercation with the restless mob, the temple had no choice but compromise. The disciples cleared the area around the platform and allowed the populace to stay at an acceptable distance to witness the grand event.

When Xiao Xue and Xie Yuan arrived at the square the crowd did not pay them much attention. Everyone was anxious for the arrival of the Priestess and had no time to ruminate on other things. But when Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling saw their entwined fingers and the soft, harmonious atmosphere between the two their eyes darkened and unpleasant thoughts immediately sprouted on their minds. But because of the ritual and the current number of eyes closely watching their movement, the three did not say or do anything.

“Wait for me here.” Xiao Xue said as she lightly patted the back of Xie Yuan’s hand. She moved forward towards the platform but was stopped when Xie Yuan refused to let go of her hand.

Xie Yuan breathed in harshly, still not resigned to see her do something that would endanger her life. But after facing her quiet look Xie Yuan composed and steadied himself. He did not let go of her hand and to the astonishment of the crowd, Xie Yuan held her in his embrace as he flew to the platform. After whispering something in her ear, he reluctantly let her go and jumped off the platform.

“I’ll wait for you.” He whispered. “Come back to me soon.”

The buzzing crowd was bewildered into silence. Why did the cripple of Spirit Temple step onto the platform when the three elders remained standing on the square? What is Xiao Xue thinking going up and creating trouble at such a crucial time? Everyone’s confused gazes landed on Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling waiting to see what they would do, if they would reprimand Xiao Xue and drive her away like they always do. But aside from their gloomy and severe expressions, none of them said anything to explain Xiao Xue’s presence on the platform.

To the citizens of Infernal Rise Valley and the cultivators from outside, this move might not mean anything but to the disciples of Spirit Temple it meant a great deal. How can they not understand the meaning of elders’ silence? The High Priestess’ ritual is a sacred ceremony for those who are affiliated to the temple. It’s not just for the protection of Infernal Rise Valley but for the maintenance of the Spirit Temple’s legacy as well. Once raised, no one, not even the elders or the core disciples of the temple, is allowed to stand on the platform aside from the Priestess. Upon seeing Xiao Xue slowly limp towards the center of the platform, doubt and remorse filled their hearts.

For the past year, with the provocation of Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling most of the disciples have been antagonizing and harassing Xiao Xue. They have been unbridled with their words and were depraved with their conduct. None of them, not one, guessed that Xiao Xue was the current High Priestess of Spirit Temple. Some had guessed she might have some special connection to the temple that the elders did not want to disclose but no one expected that the person they should be respecting most was the same person they’ve been tormenting mercilessly. Their woeful and depressed gazes shot towards the three elders. Their displeased and disappointed thoughts were silently but obviously conveyed.

Xiao Xue was unaware of the tension within the crowd. Her focus was on the mass of accumulated energy swirling on the horizon. As she hobbled to the center of the platform, her steps were uneven and slow but true and sure. Stopping at the proper mark, she stood straight and slowly calmed her breathing. 

Xiao Xue closed her eyes to free her mind of all the worries that could hinder the performance of the ritual. After a while, the soft sound of bells emanated from within her, resonating with the matrix as it surrounds Infernal Rise Valley. 

As Xiao Xue’s aura rose, so did the matrix. Slowly the valley was enveloped in a transparent barrier. The matrix appeared like a thin curtain with a faint white glow that enclosed the entire valley. For something so legendary it looked flimsy and easily broken. The gentle pealing of bells continued as the glow of the matrix grew brighter.

When the earth started to shake, the crowd was initially alarmed. Some older citizens, who’ve experienced the beast tide before, started lamenting that something was different this time. No one knows exactly what this change entails but everyone grew more fearful.

The disciples of the temple worked diligently to calm the crowd to avoid mass panic. They’ve just managed to pacify the people when they caught sight of the horde of spiritual beasts rampaging towards the valley. Some, who were faint of heart, either fled or fainted on the spot while others screamed in surprise and terror. Seeing spiritual and demonic beasts running at full force towards the valley was not something anyone could bear calmly.

The mass panic spread like wildfire, affecting everyone within the vicinity. When the hysteria was at its peak and almost uncontrollable the constant ringing of bells changed tempo. The moment the rhythm changed, a warm and gentle aura spread through the crowd soothing their wound nerves. Stunned, everyone looked towards the platform at Xiao Xue who was steadily performing the ritual.

If one were to speak in earnest, no one really looked at Xiao Xue properly before. What’s there to see? Aside from Xie Yuan, no one took the time to really see or get to know Xiao Xue as a person. 

Now, as they watch her flawlessly perform the ritual to protect the valley whilst calming the crowd, everyone could not help a slight tightening within their hearts as they take a longer, more careful look.

When the first wave hit the barrier the people within shockingly felt the amount of aura Xiao Xue fed the matrix to block the attack. And as wave after wave struck the glowing barrier, the crowd finally realized how poorly they misjudged the person and how atrocious they behaved.

11