Chapter Eighteen: Young Lord’s Reverse Scale
264 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A group of men wearing crimson robes with a distinct patch on their sleeves entered Infernal Rise Valley and went directly to a manor located in the inconspicuous part of town. The owner humbly welcomed the group and dutifully directed them to the receiving hall.

Li Song, the manor’s lord, is the head of one of the Flame Clan’s vassals. Although he’s from a subsidiary branch and his position within the clan is quite low, Li Song is aware of Xie Yuan’s status. Everyone under the clan’s employ, from the highest sect and family heads to the lowest guards and serving maids, knows and can recognize their masters on sight.

It was unfortunate that Li Song did not receive the news of Xie Yuan’s presence in Infernal Rise Valley until after the beast tide and the commotion that followed was over. His family resides in the city not far from the valley and the manor in Infernal Rise Valley was originally used as a safe house. 

Li Song was away on business when he learned about the situation with the young lord. Although he hurried to the valley to render his support to the young lord he was still a step late.

“Elder Zhang, this servant is incompetent!” Li Song said, kneeling in front of the middle-aged man leading the group. “I did not know the young lord was staying in Infernal Rise Valley and was delayed in giving aid. If something had happened to the young lord, my and my family’s lives would not be enough to compensate!”

The middle-aged man, Zhang Lao, is an elder of another vassal family and Xie Yuan’s main caretaker. He once served Xie Yuan’s father and after Xie Yuan's birth, he was transferred over to protect and serve the young lord. 

Zhang Lao’s position within the clan is considered quite high, even some of the elders from the direct family branch are respectful of him. Zhang Lao is also known to be overly protective of the young lord, even more than the masters.

When Zhang Lao heard about Xie Yuan’s disappearance he was gravely concerned. It was exactly the situation he wanted to avoid and warned the masters about. The young lord is mischievous and if not properly looked after he would get himself into all sorts of mischief. 

Zhang Lao initially wanted to follow the young lord to the lower realm but when Xie Yuan complained that he would not be able to grow or experience any hardship with Zhang Lao hovering about. In the end, Zhang Lao reluctantly relented. He suggested for the personal guards to accompany the young lord on his stead but was again firmly declined. He was, of course, apprehensive of sending the Xie Yuan out to experience the world alone but if the Master did not say anything he, in turn, cannot voice his discontent.

After Xie Yuan’s disappearance and injury came to light, Zhang Lao personally begged the Master for permission to go and stay with the young lord. He took the twins, He Heng and He Ling, together with Yan Hao, three of Xie Yuan’s personal guards, and travelled to Lyra without delay. But because of the restrictions between the realms they wasted a lot of time coming over and missed the opportune moment to give support during the beast tide.

“Young lord purposely shook off his guards to travel incognito. If he did not want to be found, no one would be able to track him. It is a blessing that he sent a message to the Sect Master which allowed us to find him sooner.” Zhang Lao answered magnanimously. But even if he understood Xie Yuan’s wayward tendencies he still felt annoyed at the sect guards from Divine Martial Sect who easily lost him. If not for their incompetence, the young lord would not have been injured nor suffered any grievance. The Sect Master of Divine Martial Sect personally punished the guards after learning of Xie Yuan’s disappearance but Zhang Lao administered his own punishment when they passed by Divine Martial Sect to vent his frustrations. “What is this commotion we’ve heard along the way about the young lord abducting a Priestess?”

Li Song did not delay to recall and relay the full account.

The standoff between Xie Yuan and the elders of Spirit Temple ended with the three women heavily injured and some core disciples, who tried to intervene, crippled. The crowd, who did not understand what’s going on, was plunged into chaos and cried for righteousness on behalf of Spirit Temple. But Xie Yuan ignored the uproar and carried off the temple’s unconscious Priestess.

From the perspective of those who sided with Spirit Temple, Xie Yuan acted heavy-handed and unruly. They argued that the temple has the right to their Priestess and Xie Yuan taking her away while she was indisposed and cannot refuse was an act of hostility and disrespect. It was a blatant disregard of the temple’s elders’ authority and a declaration of war against Spirit Temple. Those who witnessed Xiao Xue’s prowess during the beast tide were rubbed the wrong way at the sudden turn of events. 

The elders of Spirit Temple spitefully took advantage of the crowd’s momentum by stating that Xie Yuan was using his prestigious status and the influence of his sect to bully them into submission. They demand the immediate return of their Priestess and ask whoever cares to listen to give their aid to the cause.

The opposition, who knew the truth of the matter, did not take the slander lying down. They argued that those from Spirit Temple were irrational and malicious. Taking advantage of the Priestess’ kind nature, they antagonized and humiliated her after the death of her Master. Xiao Xue suffered under their tyranny but when she performed a godly deed those malicious women schemed to rein her in and use her current prestige to satisfy their ego. 

This group supported Xie Yuan in taking the High Priestess away. Many of them are part of the crowd who noticed Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue’s arrival at the square before the beast tide. They witnessed Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue’s closeness and seemingly romantic association.

Zhang Lao wrinkled his brows and asked, “What do you know about this Priestess?”

They’ve heard about her as well but Zhang Lao did not pay much attention to any news about her or her apparent link to Xie Yuan. He watched the young lord grow up into the man he is today, no one is more certain than him that Xie Yuan is not a person who’s easily swayed by emotions. It’s not in Xie Yuan’s nature to be entangled with just any woman he meets outside, if he deigns to meet any woman at all. Any news of a female getting close to Xie Yuan or trying to attract his attention is often disregarded unless the news came from Xie Yuan himself.

Li Song did not think nor hesitate when he answered, “From what I observed, the Priestess is the young lord’s reverse scale.”

Zhang Lao and the others were momentarily struck dumb but none was willing to believe the statement until they see a solid proof the matter. Li Song understood the group’s inability to trust the viability of his words, even he was shocked when he first noticed, but he felt the need to warn the group before they meet the young lord or else they might commit a mistake that could lead to their deaths.

“Where is the young lord now?” Zhang Lao asked after a while.

Li Song guided the group to a secluded courtyard in the back of the manor. Just as they crossed the gates a fierce and dominating aura flooded their senses. The aura got heavier and more sinister as they approached the main room.

“This is the young lord’s…” Yan Hao was startled. 

The aura within the courtyard was suffocating. It slowly grinded down at anyone who entered. There’s a chilling sensation of death infused along with it and the sensation hovers in the air, creating a disconcerting atmosphere.

“Is the young lord injured?” Zhang Lao asked nervously. The only time he experienced this type of baleful atmosphere was when the Master, Xie Yuan’s father, was once heavily injured.

“No.” Li Song shook his head gravely. Then after some thought he added, “It’s the priestess who’s injured.”

When the group entered the room, Xie Yuan was sitting on the side of the bed, holding the unconscious woman’s hand. He was silently and steadily infusing her with spiritual energy.

Directly infusing someone with spiritual energy is very dangerous for a practitioner. Setting aside the possibility of a backlash if the other party had nefarious intentions, the act easily drains one’s energy reserves and in worse cases it could damage the cultivator’s foundation.

If Li Song did not warn them, Zhang Lao and the others would have shouted in protest at the sight of their young lord performing such a thankless act for an unknown woman. But since they were cautioned to act prudently the group swallowed their discontent as they walked further into the room and kneel before Xie Yuan.

“This old slave greets young lord,” Zhang Lao greeted respectfully as he tactfully scanned Xie Yuan’s body.

Zhang Lao cultivates a skill called Divine Pineal Sight that allows him to perceive the physical condition of others. This technique allows him to assess and pinpoint a cultivator’s strengths and weaknesses. During battle the technique affords Zhang Lao a huge advantage against his opponents. It’s useful towards serving the masters because no form of injury could be hidden from him.

“Old man, where’s Yi Sheng?” Xie Yuan asked without looking at the group.

Yi Sheng is known throughout the three realms as the ‘godly doctor’. When Xie Yuan sent word to his uncle he also asked him to find Yi Sheng and send him to Infernal Rise Valley as soon as possible. Since Yi Sheng did not appear before or even after the beast tide, he expected him to come with this group. But when Xie Yuan didn’t feel the godly doctor’s aura his disconsolate mood plummeted further.

“We ask the young lord for more tolerance and forgiveness. Unfortunately, Yi Sheng was not on this realm when we arrived.” Zhang Lao explained. “Time was pressing and we did not have the leisure to wait for his arrival. He will go to Divine Martial Sect at the earliest opportunity. In the meantime we brought his apprentice here.”

Just as Zhang Lao finished talking, a heavy, oppressive aura slammed down without warning. Cold sweat covered their brows and backs as the group continued to kneel unmoving on the floor. At that moment Zhang Lao and the bodyguards had the same thought. Years without seeing the young lord, it seems like his temper is still as foul as ever.

“Calm your anger young lord, Yi Xin might be an apprentice but he is very competent.” Zhang Lao hurriedly pacified Xie Yuan. If they allow him to continue they’d be incapacitated from the one-sided beating they’re currently receiving. Zhang Lao pointedly looked at Yi Xin who also looked back at him with grievance and reproach for directly placing the younger man on the line of fire.

“Come.” Xie Yuan beckoned.

Yi Xin was reluctant to go but with the heavy glances thrown his way by the others, demanding him to immediately step forward, he couldn’t say no.

“This apprentice is named Yi Xin, many greetings young lord.” He greeted respectfully before stepping forward towards the bed.

Xie Yuan did not look at him, his attention wholly focused on the unconscious woman on the bed. He motioned for Yi Xin to move closer so he could examine Xiao Xue.

Yi Xin gingerly approached the bed, remembering the lesson his master drilled into his head many years ago. His master repeatedly reminded that if the young master of Divine Martial Sect looks for him he must go and see what the problem was regardless of where he is or what he is doing. It doesn’t matter if Yi Xin could or could not help, he had to go no matter what his current situation was. His master stated over and over never to offend the young lord.

When disciples from Divine Martial Sect came knocking on Yi Xin’s door asking him to come post haste, he did not hesitate. Yi Xin has been mindful of his attitude since he learned that his presence was requested by the young master. 

Ironically, the caution and vigilance Yi Xin has been exercising went down the drain when he openly gawked at the unconscious woman lying on the bed. Xie Yuan must have felt that Yi Xin’s stare was offensive because he immediately felt a heavy aura slam through his chest, knocking him off his feet.

“Do it again and I’ll kill you!” Xie Yuan growled viciously, sparing him an icy glare.

Yi Xin shuddered at the brutality of the look and hurriedly apologized for the slight. While he was in the middle of his apology he could distinctly hear the other people in the room breathing out, “Idiot!” in unison.

10