Chapter 6 – Easily winning the checkers game
854 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

"Anyway, I will explain the rules to you"

As soon as I said this Bernard nodded his head and waited patiently for my explanation.

"As you can see, we have this small square table, this is called the board, these squares inside are called squares, the object of the game is to capture all the opponent's pieces, the piece can only move forward and diagonally, besides, you cannot move back the pieces that you have already moved forward"

As I was explaining to Bernard, I saw that Bernard seemed to have a question about something.

"Do you have any questions?"

I asked.

"What happens if my piece reaches the end of its base?"

At his question I let out a small smile before answering.

"If that happens you make Checkers, your piece can move both forward and backward, plus you can move as many squares as you want"

At my reply Bernard let out a surprised sound.

"Hoho, so there was such a rule, this game sounds extremely interesting, let's play a game"

"Sure"

And with that we started playing the game, at first Edward seemed a bit lost so I took it easy on him until he started to get used to it, which didn't take long, a few minutes later we were at the end of the game, I was at a clear disadvantage as Bernard had 4 pieces left while I only had 1, but unfortunately for him I refuse to lose here in front of Anna, since I brought this game into this world I have never lost, and I don't intend to lose today, i let out a small smile which caught Bernard's attention.

"Why are you smiling? I see that I am the one with the best chance of winning"

Bernard asked.

"Normally you would be right, but unfortunately for you your opponent is me"

As soon as I said that I made a move of a professional I had seen in my previous life capturing all of Bernard's pieces.

"Did you still have more tricks up your sleeve?"

Said one of my friends seeing the move I had just made.

"But of course, a true master never reveals his strategy so soon"

I said with a smile on my face, as soon as I turned to Bernard, I noticed he had his hand on his chin as he was thinking about something.

"Is there a problem sir Bernard?"

I asked worried that something was wrong.

"It's nothing, and just that I found this game more fun than I expected, may I ask who created this game?"

As soon as Bernard asked that, Anna who was standing next to me soon spoke up.

"I know, the one who made the game was onii-chan"

Said Anna, Bernard was surprised by my sister's answer and soon after looked at me with wide eyes but soon after his eyes changed to curiosity.

"Are your sure little girl?"

As soon as Bernard said this Anna stewed her cheeks showing that she was angry at what Bernard just said.

"I'm not lying, it was really onii-chan who created this game"

Anna said with her cheeks stewed and her arms crossed.

"Sorry if I was rude little girl, and that it is kind of hard to believe that a child could create such a simple game but at the same time with so many possibilities, by the way how old are you kid?"

"I? I'm 7 years old"

I replied. Upon hearing my words, Bernard's eyes widened in surprise, further amplifying his expression.

"Now, it's even harder to believe"

After Bernard's words, he stared at me for a few moments, as if pondering something important. After a brief moment of reflection, he stood up, indicating that he had made a decision.

"It's alright, kid. Can I talk to your parents?"

His words left me confused, and I wondered why he wanted to speak to my parents.

(Why does he want to talk to my parents? Is he angry because he lost to me?)

With that thought in mind, I bid farewell to my friends and decided to take him to my parents. After all, considering his apparent familiarity with the people in town, everything would probably be fine.

"I don't mind, let's go, Anna"

As I said that, I held Anna's hand, and we headed towards my home, with Bernard following closely behind. As soon as I entered the house, I called for my parents.

"MOM, DAD, MR. BERNARD IS HERE AND HE WANTS TO TALK TO YOU"

Immediately, I turned to Bernard and spoke.

"They should be arriving soon. At this time, my dad is usually chopping logs in the backyard, and my mom is busy tidying up the rooms. You can sit in this chair while you wait for them"

I said as I made my way to the kitchen. Once there, I reached for a wooden cup on the shelf and filled it with water from the ceramic pot. You might be wondering why we don't have faucets to get water. The answer is quite simple: it's not that we don't have any. As far as I know, most towns and kingdoms function the same way. In the case of towns, there's usually a well located in the center of the village or town, from which we fetch water using buckets.

If you ask me if it's not extremely laborious, the answer is yes, it's definitely challenging. Unfortunately, we don't have any other option. Maybe I could try to find some solution to this problem, but they probably wouldn't listen to me; after all, I'm just a five-year-old dealing with an issue that affects the entire town. As I pondered over this, I returned to the table and noticed Bernard holding some papers while working with a tool.

(If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is called an abacus)

While observing the tool Bernard was using, I thought to myself. Also, I must admit that even though I'm calling it paper, it's clearly an inferior version compared to what I knew in my previous world.

The paper is quite yellowed and seems uncomfortable to write on. While pondering this, I placed the cup of water on the table and accidentally glanced at the papers. On them, I could see some mathematical calculations, and as I looked at the paper, I noticed some errors. Although I didn't know exactly what the mathematical equation was about, I managed to understand that it involved a comparison. With that in mind, I pointed to the paper and said.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I believe the amount of stored products doesn't match the amount of products sold"

As soon as I spoke those words, Bernard turned to me with a surprised expression before directing his gaze to the paper and carefully examining the part where I mentioned the error.

"Hmm... I must have been distracted while doing the calculations... Boy, are you already attending school?"

Bernard asked, with a curious tone in his voice.

"No, I'll start next year"

Upon hearing my response, Bernard became even more incredulous and couldn't contain his curiosity, so he asked again.

"Then how did you manage to identify the mistake and calculate it so quickly, even without the help of an abacus?"

(Huh? What is this man talking about? This is just a simple subtraction problem)

I thought, confused by Bernard's question.

18