Chapter 7 – Agreement
769 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

As I was thinking about what Bernard meant by this my parents arrived in the room where they were standing, their eyes widening when they saw who was calling out to them, as soon as my parents sat down in the chair across from Bernard my father started the conversation.

"So, Mr. Bernard, how can we help you?"

My father asked.

"No need for you sir, just Bernard is fine, about the reason for my visit, it is quite simple actually, while selling my wares to the villagers I saw your son and some children playing this such a game of draughts."

As soon as he said this my parents looked at me and then turned their gaze to Bernard.

"Your daughter told me that your oldest son created this game, is that true?

As soon as he said this my parents looked at each other before turning their attention back to Bernard.

"Well yes, it is true that it was our son who created this game"

With the answer my father gave Bernard his face took on a surprised expression again before a smile opened on his face, I could tell from here that he probably thinks he found someone interesting.

"Also, your son seems to know math, and he knows enough to do middle grade math with amazing speed"

As soon as he said this my parents' faces turned into expressions of astonishment, they looked at me and I could see in their eyes that they couldn't believe what they were hearing.

(But seriously, what do you mean middle grade math? Wasn't that just addition and subtraction? If that was middle grade then what do they consider advanced grade in this world?)

"Did either of you two teach him math or something? Your son already told me that he is not yet 8 years old so he must not have learned it in school"

When Bernard asked this, my parents looked at each other and shook their heads to the side.

"That's impossible for us, I'm only a housewife and my husband is a simple woodcutter, besides, my husband and I can barely read, we wouldn't have enough knowledge to teach Ren mathematics"

This world has an extremely low literacy rate, to tell you the truth, for every 1,000 commoners at most 250 can read and only 100 can read and write, also, although they teach mathematics in school, they only teach subtraction and addition, and from what I could see the mathematics of this world is quite backward, they use summation methods that are extremely old and time consuming.

"Ah, but I remember that since Ren was 1 year old, he would always go to the storage room in our house and look at books almost all day, but since he was just a child, we thought he was just interested or playing"

After my mother said this Bernard made an expression as if something had clicked in his mind.

"I've heard reports of some people being able to read from the age of two, the most recent report was that of Princess Emi Tulipal Solaris, nowadays she is considered the rarest jewel in the kingdom"

Bernard said as he looked at my parents.

"And it is possible that your son has the same if not even more potential than she does"

As soon as Bernard said this my parents looked at Bernard in amazement.

"Being honest I think your son has a bright future ahead of him"

As Bernard and my parents talked what was going through my mind was the name of the princess which I had never heard before, it was a beautiful name indeed, while these thoughts were going around my head the conversation between my parents and Bernard was progressing, it seemed that finally Bernard had gotten to the main point.

"Oh, I seem to have dragged the subject a lot, about why I came here, what do you think about letting me sell the game, I am sure many nobles would like this game, it is simple but also requires a bit of strategy, I am sure it will be popular, besides, you will also get a share from the sales of the game, what do you say?"

After Bernard's words my parents were surprised to suddenly know that a children's game I made when I was 5 years old could make money.

My parents looked at me along with Bernard, I guess they are leaving the final decision to me, i put my hand on my chin and started to think about it, although we don't have much money it's not like we are poor, we get enough to not starve which for me is enough, I think for me it would be more advantageous if I sold the game to him and got something that would help the work of the residents in return, while thinking about what might be good to trade in the game, I suddenly remember something, if I could do that, I am sure it would help the people living in this town a lot.

"Mister Bernard, instead of giving us money for the game how would you like to hear a request from me?"

Hearing my suggestion Bernard looks at me as he seemed to think of something, soon after he speaks what was on his mind.

"Kid you know I'm a merchant, right? above anything else what I seek is profit I know you said your game would profit but I can't accept a request that would put me at a disadvantage"

"You don't have to worry about that, if this works, I am sure you would make vast profits from my idea, I also don't mind if you take all the money that comes from this, but in return I want you to give my city for free the product I will make"

At my words Bernard seemed to be amazed as he looked at me, his face clearly said that something unbelievable was happening in front of him.

"Sometimes I forget that you are only 7 years old"

Bernard said as a smile was present on his face.

"Alright, let's hear what you have to say"

21