Chapter 9 – Successful experiment
701 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

While waiting outside my house for Bernard to arrive I looked at the people walking down the street, today would be the day Bernard would come to my town and also today would be the day we would test the manual water pump, while I was thinking about this I looked again at the road in the distance, nothing seemed out of place, but it was while I was thinking about this that suddenly a huge cloud of dust began to form in the distance, after a few seconds it was possible to see a lizard pulling a cart, no doubt that was Bernard's cart.

A short time later the wagon had arrived and was parked near the entrance, I ran to the wagon while waiting to meet up with Bernard, as soon as I reached the wagon Bernard was easily seen in the front, beside him was a man I didn't remember seeing yet, just as I expected Bernard got off the wagon while having a smile on his face, the man who was with Bernard also got off the wagon while following Bernard, the man has short brown hair, his eyes are relatively normal, a beard was growing on his face giving the man a coarse look, while wondering who the man was Bernard came toward me and greeted me.

"Good to see you Ren, I can see you are excited to see your invention taking shape"

Bernard said as he extended his hand to me, as I took his hand to return the gesture a thick, raspy voice sounded behind Bernard.

"Hey Bernard, is that the genius brat you told me invented this?"

Said the man as he held up the diagram I had written.

"That's right, this here is Ren, or inventor X if you prefer"

After Bernard's words the man approached me while looking at me, as soon as he got closer, he started looking me up and down as if he was analyzing me, for some reason this was making me uncomfortable, I felt like I had fallen into a tiger's den.

"Who is your friend, Bernard?"

As soon as I said that Bernard made a surprised expression finally remembering that he had not yet introduced me to his friend.

"Sorry about that, this here is Henry, he is the blacksmith I told you about, he is the one who built your manual water pump"

Bernard said as he pointed to Henry who continued to look me up and down, after a few seconds Henry seemed to have finished inspecting me, soon he turned to Bernard again.

"Are you sure it was this brat who thought of this? I can't see anything special about him, besides, isn't he just a kid?"

At Henry's question, Bernard simply smiled as he answered.

"If I were you, I wouldn't mistake him for just a child"

Bernard said leaving Henry with a scowl on his face.

"If you with your eyes are saying that, he must really have something"

Said Henry as he looked at me, his gaze seemed to want to unravel every mystery of my being.

"Anyway, let's get to the main subject"

Bernard said moving to the back of the wagon, Bernard's wagon was the kind where the driver was in the front while the load was in the back, as soon as he turned back to us in his hands was my long-awaited invention, really something that I had helped design was right in front of me, I must have a huge smile on my face right now.

"The pipes are inside the wagon, we just need to install and then test, if everything works perfectly as it should we will start mass producing"

Bernard said with a smile on his face, after this we took everything, we needed near the well and soon started setting everything up, as I didn't want my identity to be revealed we were basically told we would be doing a test of a new product that had been created to help catch water more easily in the wells, in exchange for testing it here they told us that they would give us one for free, although people were a little skeptical at first, after a while everyone accepted the idea, after all, Bernard said that he would bear the costs if something went wrong and if it worked out it would be much easier to get water, there was really no reason to refuse.

We spent some time putting everything together, or rather, Bernard, Henry, and my father were doing the whole process while following my instructions, and soon the manual water pump was assembled and ready to be tested, a crowd of people had shown up before I knew it, surely everyone was curious about how this invention would work, after we finished putting everything together it was finally time to test it, although I had indicated how to build it, I was quite nervous, I was not 100% sure if it would work or not, I could only rely on my knowledge that I had accumulated over my 20 years.

While I was thinking about this Bernard looked at me, his face indicated that he was waiting for my approval to start the test, as I nodded to Bernard, he looked at my father who was going to do the hand pump test, as Bernard nodded to my father he began to push up and down repeatedly, no sound could be heard as everyone paid attention, my heart was beating rapidly as I waited for the water to begin to fall.

I could see on some people's faces that they had already given up hope, but when they least expected it, water began to pour out of the pipe and into the bucket, everyone began to shout with joy that they would no longer have to pull a rope attached to a bucket full of water anymore, and since it was quite malleable even children could come and get the water, Bernard turned to me as he gave me a big thumbs up, my parents quickly hugged me in happiness seeing that what I had created had worked, and this was just the beginning.

15