Chapter 14 – Meeting not intended
710 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

"Anyway... let's get back to the main topic"

Aria said, resuming the conversation.

"As Bernard might have already mentioned, I wanted to talk to you. I must admit I was surprised to find out that X is such a young person. However, I want you to know that for me, the most important thing is to make a profit, and I don't care about someone's age or gender"

Aria expressed with a smile on her face. But upon hearing those words, I could catch a glimpse of her personality. It seemed that as long as she achieved profits, she wouldn't pass judgment on anyone or any situation. Honestly, that pleased me because if she were difficult to deal with, I would probably reconsider the idea of doing business with her. As they say, creativity is the mother of innovation. While I pondered over that, Aria continued to speak.

"Moreover, I have an interesting proposal to present to you"

Saying this, Aria promptly took a paper from one of her desk drawers and handed it to me.

"A proposal? What exactly are you offering me?"

At the moment I asked that question, a smile lit up Aria's face.

"It's an exclusivity contract for your future inventions or research. Essentially, I'm offering my sponsorship to you. Before you analyze the contract, I want you to know that this offer is unique, and if you refuse, there won't be a second chance. Furthermore, I can confidently state that working with me will only bring benefits to you"

Aria proclaimed with a confident smile on her face. To be honest, I didn't have many reasons to sign that contract. After all, having a lot of money isn't always synonymous with beneficial exclusivity agreements. However, I must admit there weren't reasons to refuse either. In a way, I was already involved in an exclusivity agreement with Bernard, even if it wasn't formalized in a document. While I pondered which decision to make, the door opened and Mirelle entered the room, carrying a tray with teas. As soon as she placed it on the table, she turned around and left again.

Without wasting time, I held the contract in my hands and began reading it carefully. After a few seconds, something caught my attention: there was a clause clearly stating that I would be obligated to conduct specific research under the guild's guidance.

"Sorry, but I can't sign this contract"

As I expressed my decision, I noticed Aria's eyes narrowed, while Bernard's eyes seemed calm. At that moment, I started to have a partial understanding of what was going on.

"May I know the reason?"

Aria asked, with a smile on her face.

"While I acknowledge that the benefits are attractive enough to make me regret it in the future, I still prioritize my freedom of expression"

As I expressed my stance, Aria's eyes opened wide in surprise, and a huge smile appeared on her face.

"You see? I told you it didn't make sense to test him. He's not as obsessed with money as you are"

Bernard affirmed, casting a shrewd glance towards Aria.

"Hahaha, my apologies for that, Ren. Bernard always speaks so highly of you that I started to think he was exaggerating. Although you might not have enjoyed the joke, I want you to know it's common for someone in my position. My decision can affect the lives of many people, so I need to always be vigilant. After all, one can't tell if you would be a golden goose or just a leech"

After those words, Aria promptly took out another piece of paper from her drawer and handed it to me.

"This is the official contract. Feel free to read it, I swear on my honor that there won't be anything that can harm you in the contract"

Aria said with a radiant smile, while Bernard, unlike the other times, looked at me with a kind smile. Aria didn't seem to be hiding anything, but nevertheless, I decided to take a quick look. With that in mind, I began examining the relevant points of the contract. To my surprise, just as Aria had mentioned, there was nothing suspicious or that could harm me.

"It will be a pleasure working with you, Aria. I hope we can build a long and prosperous partnership"

I said as I handed over the signed paper. Upon taking the paper, a smile lit up Aria's face as she replied.

"With this, we seal the deal. It will be a pleasure working with you, Ren. I have high expectations for your performance"

Aria spoke as she savored a sip of her tea.

"I promise I won't disappoint you. By the way, I have another idea in mind, something that might help us measure time accurately. I believe, just like me, you also find it inconvenient to rely solely on the sun to tell the time, don't you? Besides, as they say, time is money"

As soon as I spoke those words, Aria and Bernard exchanged glances for a few moments before turning their attention back to me.

"What's going through your mind?"

Bernard asked, and a smile lit up my face. As I took a large piece of paper and placed it on the table, I shared.

"I'm glad you asked"

Aria and Bernard leaned in, their eyes fixed on the paper as they unfolded the diagram of an ancient clock from my previous world. Although I wanted to create a digital clock, the lack of electricity made it impossible, so I decided to go for the old-fashioned models. However, despite examining the diagram, Bernard and Aria's expressions grew increasingly puzzled over time.

"I have an idea of the concept, but could you explain how this would work in practice?"

Bernard inquired.

"The spring is initially wound up through a mechanism involving gears and a rope. This spring will store energy that will be gradually released to activate the mechanism and allow us to visualize the hours"

I explained. Upon hearing my explanations, Bernard and Aria exchanged glances for a few moments before sighing.

"As always, I can barely comprehend what you're saying, but I can still sense that it's something amazing"

Bernard uttered with a surrendering smile on his face.

"Anyway... if this works, will it be possible to achieve the necessary precision to know the time?"

Aria asked, and I simply nodded, a smile spreading across my face.

"It will work... probably"

After finalizing the deal and conceiving a new entrepreneurial idea, we left the Merchant's Guild. As soon as we stepped outside, we were met with a crowd of people in front of us, as if they were waiting for something exciting to happen.

"What's going on?"

I asked, straining to catch a glimpse of what lay beyond. Bernard seemed to ponder for a few moments before having an epiphany about the reason for the gathering.

"Oh, I had forgotten about this! The king and the second princess were in a continental meeting in the Kingdom of Storne, and today is the day they return"

Bernard stated, and as I absorbed his words, a pure white carriage passed by us. It displayed a drawing of a sun on the door. As soon as I could see who was inside, my brain simply went blank. It was the most stunning girl I had ever seen. Her hair was as white as snow, and her golden eyes could easily be mistaken for the sun itself. As I watched her, I felt a vibration in my chest, a strangely comforting and warm sensation.

17