Chapter 20: Vengeance
41 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Zetsumei*

 

I dismissed Samhara and John. As usual I only understood about half of what Samhara was saying but I feel like that understanding is growing! John is rather….odd. 'Frilly'is how Samhara described him, 'rigid' might be mine. He seemed well enough but unable to let his guard down. Not that that reminded me of anyone...Overall they seemed to get along well and, if my gut wasn't betraying me, I think Samhara was beginning to warm up to John. 

 

'Redemption'. What a stupid of name for a city. Whoever wrote that down should be beaten. And maybe shown some love because clearly their imagination wasn't fostered as a child. What a cheap, bullshit name to pick. Fuck! Anywho. Redemption is where the final leader of the Church spent their days. With an equally unimaginative and lazy name, 'Impervious', they commanded the army from within. Other scouts had reported back and verified the story. From all accounts this, Impervious, was invincible. Well, if 2 decades of raiding taught me anything it was to ignore mechanics and ramp up the dps! The fucker had to die, till then I couldn't begin my assault on the dev keeping us all here. Not that anyone had found him yet….

 

It didn't take long for Samhara to find me, as was our determined protocol, to discuss our next steps. I filled her in on the plan.

 

"Like shite ye are!" 

 

I sighed, "Sam. I have to go alone. The asshole would mop the floor with any of you! And I need you to help me with this."

 

She talked back at me, "With negotiating?! Me? Yer heid's full o' mince if ye think that's a good idea. Innit."

 

My heads full of mince? What? "Sam, it-"

 

"Oy! That's the lass who  speaks wit' an accent. Let's make her speak in important negotiations aye? That idea is pure barry!"

 

I rubbed my forehead, "Sam-"

 

"Oy, innit a good idea boss? Nothing could go wrong aye?"

 

"Sam!" I may have called out a bit too sharply, "I get it. I do, really. But I need someone I can trust to speak with the other leaders that have risen. To form an alliance in the hope that we escape."

 

Samhara was  quiet as she stared at the ground before her, so I continued. "Aye, you're hard to understand. And its bullshit, but you have a good heart. I saw what you did for that kid you interrogated. That's why I need you. I need to go home…"

 

We stood silently as tears stung my eyes. I needed to go home, really. I hoped Frost was doing well. Fuck, it was all wearing on me and too much was slipping through. I took a deep breath and pushed my emotions back down. "Sam. Please, I don't have anyone else I can trust with this. I know we've only known each other a short time but I've seen that you're a good person…"

 

She sighed, "That's shan and ye know it….do ye not know any words I use lassie? Shan, unfair. It's unfair and ye know it! Forcing me into this crap with your honey sweetened words!"

 

I smiled a bit, just a tug at the corner of my mouth. I probably wouldn't get more than that from her, but it was enough. "Thank you Sam. Really. Rothmire has the information for you. I need to go take care of the church so you have some more weight to your arguments."

 

"Aye, good luck lassie. Go radge on the wee fuck." She left without another word though her ears seemed to wilt a bit. Aye. I'll give em hell my friend, for you and for the fox I once knew….

 

***

*Marie*

 

I sat next to Zet's unconscious body. I rubbed my eyes, staring at the tv and following along to her every plotline was a bit much some days. "No offense hun but you're either all combat or dark brooding. Have a drink with Sam! Get to know her. I want you back too but good God try to live a little. This hurts to watch…." 

 

A knock on the door interrupted me. I paid it little attention, medical staff were always in and out and gave a knock each time. Honestly, it's hard to always be alert to who's coming in when it's so frequent. I stroked Zet's arm with the tips of my fingers. On the tv I saw her half close her eyes as she let out a small moan. It's the little things that get me through the days….a man clearing his throat loudly pulled me from my enjoyment.

 

I whipped my head to the sound and saw a portly, middle aged man with a mess of hair that didn't look like it had seen a comb in years. "Mrs. Marie?"

 

I nodded. "Who are you?" I was immensely suspicious of a strange man who knew my name being in the room. Especially one in such a nice suit.

 

"An ally. I'm with Glacial, the game company, I'm here beca-"

 

Rage flooded me and my vision went red, "because you fucked up our lives and want to act like you give a damn?!"

 

He continued after a beat, as though nothing had happened. "Because your spouse is in great danger. "

 

I rolled my eyes, "Zets always in danger. Because of you people. So you'll have to get a lot more specific if I'm supposed to give a damn."

 

His lips drew to a thin line, "Turn to channel 1275."

 

I stared at him a long moment. Zet was about to head into another fight, I didn't want to miss that. I'm always afraid something will happen if I'm not with her. But...a quick glance to see what he's talking about shouldn't change anything.

 

I punched the numbers into the remote and when the channel changed, I gasped. A particularly average blood elf sat on a ledge watching a city. Completely forgettable in his averageness even but forever seared into my mind. Rage bubbled in my veins and my heart began to pound in my chest while the ripples of loss once again set into motion. "Greg…"

 

I looked back to the guy in the suit, venom dripped from my voice as my rage lacked a target, "What's going on?"

 

"A few hours ago he met with the player called 'Impervius'. They know that your spouse knows where they are. 'Impervius' will stand in the middle of the courtyard, while Greg watches from his balcony. When your spouse enters the courtyard, Greg will kill her with his bow."

 

I closed my eyes, trying to wrap my mind around fucking Greg coming back into the picture to kill again. And I'm out here… "Greg couldn't kill Zet. She's a Scrollbearer and he's a nobo-"

 

"A Scrollbearer as well." He saw the question on my face, "You really should pay attention to more than your hu-....er, spouse. But there isn't time for history, you can stop Greg if you choose-"

 

"Yes!" My answer came forth before I even thought what it could mean. He sighed but nodded with what I took as resignation. 

 

"Allright.  He pulled out what looked suspiciously like the tv remote for the car DVD player my kids watch. "Use this. It will remotely shut down a single headset before breaking. If you use it, it will kill anyone attached to a headset in a 10 foot radius…"

 

I looked at him with confusion, my hand hovering over the remote. "10 feet. I'd have to be in the room with him…."

 

Suit nodded, "He's only been two floors from you this entire time."

 

My jaw nearly dropped off my face,  "What?! This whole time?"

 

Suit shrugged, "Players were clustered to areas depending on real world location. Not that surprising really. Now, listen to me if you wish to do this…."

*Greg*

 

I sat atop a building with a slanted roof, a church or some shit. As if that matters in the fucking world. My fingers ran up and down the bow string as I watched the courtyard and the lone figure within. Some guy who now ran the Church as its sole leader, I'd kill him if I could but I've watched enough failed attempts to know his power was beyond even that of a Scroll Bearer. At least I get to kill that douche from that first day. Zimbaya? Zehkoomie? Some foreign crap or other. Probably a damned weeb. 

 

As I thought about that motherfucking day, the screams started again. They always started when I thought of that day. The screams of a dying animal. Some bitch that had to die didn't. I took out my knife and slid it across my forearm. The pain brought me back to the present, almost. Enough that the screams grew dim. Would they stop if I could speak to her? Tell her that those dicks were going to kill me until I offered them several kills? I don't know. The only thing I do know is that I lived. 

 

Maybe this game kills you when you die, maybe not. But I promised my sister I'd be there when she had her baby. Our parents are gone. Her baby daddy ran off. It's just her and I. Based on how long I've been in here, that baby was due in a little over a week and I wasn't planning to break that promise! So I ain't risking death. Does that make me some min/maxing asshole? Probably. Do I care? Definitely not. Not if it means my promise is kept. Besides, I often tell myself, no one really dies in this game. That's just something they said for atmosphere. If it was a thing then the government would've saved us a long time ago. 

 

But this Seth person. He stole loot that should have been rolled on! I'd be all too happy to kill him for it. I took a breath. Easy Greg, you got this. You saw it on ifunny. You just gotta accept that being the hero in your story sometimes means you're the villain in someone else's. And Steph is definitely a villain…. 

 

And speaking of the fuck...I spy with my little eye a lone shadow boldly crossing through the courtyard. I placed an arrow to my string and drew to my cheek. Hang in sis, I'm coming home….

*Marie*

 

I stood in a different room. A warmer room, in temperature at least. Following suits advice I had donned some scrubs he provided and taken an EVS badge left behind. I grabbed a cleaning cart and became invisible to the more 'essential' employees. Now I stood here, with Greg. His television was on despite the empty room. I glanced at it. His hand was running up and down the bow string while his eyes looked far away. I'd longed for a chance like this. A few minutes alone in a room with the man who killed my friend. Oh I may not have known her that well, but those last minutes of bonding through trauma had definitely bound me to her. 

 

I'd thought of this moment so long. Of this buff 'Chad' laying in a bed with fawning followers all around him.  Family and flowers and cards adorning the room. Balloons too. But now, now I look around and find myself disappointed. There is one card next to him. His sheets are rumpled and the room feels….empty. My anger falters for a moment, is this the man who killed her? Who tried to kill me? I hear muttering on the tv and the stretching of a string. I look over and find Greg aiming a bow right at Zet as she crosses the courtyard. In a panic I smash the button on the remote I was given. 

 

At first nothing happens. The Greg on tv maintains his aim on Zet. The one in bed seems to not notice. Suddenly alarms are going off and the body in the bed seems to relax. Every monitor is a flatline. I stare at him for several heartbeats. His body lays there, deflated and alone. In his final moment he is alone. I move to take a step towards him but the alarms pause me in my movement. I turn and move towards the door and glance at the tv. His arms react as if controlled, he loosens his grip on the bow string and suddenly drops the bow over the edge of the building. I reach the entrance and glance again at the tv. Greg's body is hurtling towards the pavement far beneath his previous perch. I disappear around a corner feet away from the room as footsteps converge on Greg's room. I take a breath and hold my hands to my chest to still them. I killed him. Here. Not in self defense for myself but in coldblood! And he died, alone. In game and without. I force myself to remember what he did to Pyria. Good riddance. You won't take anyone else away from me or anyone else. Especially not Zet……

0