Chapter 22: Preparation
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Frostina*

 

I sat next to Zet and held her hand. She was pacing her room again with a small smile in her face. The barest curve of her lips, if someone less familiar with her would recognize it as a smile I'm not sure. That NPC butler guy had just handed her a package though they didn't discuss what it was. A brief nod between them was all that occurred and then the butler left. Now Zet seemed almost giddy. I jumped at the sound of a distant slam and placed my hand over my racing heart. Calm down Marie….someone just dropped something, damn. 

 

No cops had come to ask questions, no one seemed to suspect I had done anything or even been near Greg that night. But I knew, and I was waiting for them to figure it out. His death had made the news briefly. Apparently,  Zet had gained so much attention people had watched early footage of our time in the game. This resulted in a very large portion of people seeing what Greg had done to Pyria so long ago...I can hardly believe how long it's been…. So when news of Greg dying was released many cheered for his passing, not all. Not his family, but many did. The authorities haven't seemed very motivated and the public doesn't seem to care, Greg's list of victims was pretty substantial.

 

But I jumped anyway. Because what if? I didn't want to leave Zet's side. I didn't want to leave my kids again. No…hngh….

 

I returned my focus to the tv and Zet's pacing. She was eager, I knew. They'd finally found the army of the dev. Whatever his name was. The head asshole who started this death nightmare. Because of this she was eager to move on him and finish this. I squeezed her hand and gave it a kiss. I believe in her, soon she'll be back home with me…

 

*Zetsumei*

 

I paced my room waiting. All I needed was for Samhara to return with some good news. The Game Master had an army. A very, very large one and without the help of other classes we had no hope of even getting close to him. Sad to say, I needed bodies for the meat grinder he had prepared… But if they can clear the way, if I could kill him then the ones who survive could finally go home. I could be with Frost again. With my children. I glanced to the mirror briefly, aye. I'd miss this form that's true, but to go home was worth the loss. 

 

I sighed and felt something grip my hand tightly. I looked and saw nothing there. My suspicion was that outside the game I could somewhat still feel touch.  At least. That's what I told myself, it helped with the loneliness. The Game Master, he saw himself as the hero yet has his army set in an open field like the villain. What was his game? A knock interrupted my thoughts and was followed shortly after by Samhara and John. I think. How many Johns are in this game anyways? Shaming the thoughts out of my head I turned to greet them.

 

"How did the conference go?"

 

Samhara twisted her supine face into what I presume was disgust. Or anger. Constipation? "Ach! The wee cunts just wanted tae argue wit themselves! The bloody Paladins wanted tae hide in their fortress of virginity! The assassins in their sewer of circle jerkin'! And dinnae get me started on the Warlocks and their bloody necrophilia!"

 

My heart sank at her words, "They won't come then…"

 

"Course they'll come lassie! They may be a bunch o' bawfaced cunts, but they'll fight to get outta here."

 

I shook my head and brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "You bitch. You couldn't have started with that?"

 

"And ruin the fun? After ye made me go and speak tae a bunch o eejit's? Is your head full o mince?"

 

I looked at John but he just covered his mouth and shrugged. "She managed to convince them. Really it came down to did they want to die trying to escape or die when their bodies finally gave out or someone pulled the plug on all this."

 

Samhara shot him a glare and clambered up his leg to slap him upside the head, "We agreed tae say I threatened em!"

 

I stifled a laugh and shook my head. "Go get some rest. We found him and will be attacking as soon as we can organize the others."

 

Their expressions turned somber and Samhara gave me a curt nod before riding her impromptu mount from the room. I strode to my desk and activated a communication device to speak with the other class leaders. It was time to end this…

 

*Eire*

 

I ushered the last of the children through the sewer grate and into what I presume was once a guard station for npcs. I checked that Kat, the guardian stationed at this city and one of the few who had survived the purging, had what she needed to watch the kids so I could get some rest. That taken care of I opened a portal back to Fògarrach-fala and entered a small room still coated in Frost and a total wreck. I always wondered what happened here after I left those two. Something bad judging by the state of the room. I felt a twinge of guilt for leaving after what was her name, Flash? Phaus? Whatever it was, had gotten injured helping nm me save the kids. I smooshed that thought down. 

 

I placed a small phial of water on a shelf. It wasn't much but with the rest I, and it would appear Zet, had stored here it was something should an emergency happen. There was nothing special about the water but if shit truly ever hit the fan even that much could help. That done I crawled into the bed and closed my eyes for some much needed sleep. After more breaths had passed I heard a chime that startled me from my drifting thoughts and then a voice I didn't want to hear. 

 

"Fellow leaders and survivors, I ask your attention and for your help. The time has come for us to come together and face the master of this realm, the one who has trapped us all here. I cannot face him alone, my scouts report he has a vast army. For me to try alone is suicide but with your help we have a chance. A chance to end this and go home. To see our loved ones, to have a chance…" Zet continued to drone on, a small image standing in the air near me. What is wrong with her?! It's not perfect here, I get that! But I've carved out a life, my friends died for this! The Church has been less active and with Zet killing their leaders they might even leave us alone! Now she asks all of us, even me, to help end it…?

 

"Some of you have pledged yourselves and your armies to this fight. Thank you. Others have suffered much and wish to stay. I understand that but every person who comes gives a chance for all of us to find hope in our real lives. Especially the Scrollbearers, you can change the outcome as much as any army." Yeah, she meant me. Fuck her. "If staying here is what you want I understand. Our bodies won't last forever in the real world and time has dilated for us, we've lost months of consciousness already. Together we have a chance to live but apart death is inevitable and coming fast. We'll meet on the Frozen Plains by the Twin Peaks. If you're coming, if you will help in any capacity, now is the time."

 

Zet disappeared. Now's the time? I told her I wouldn't help end this. So what do I hope? She fails and they all die? Or that they succeed and this all ends, leaving me trapped out there in the world that would rather see me dead….fuck it. I rolled over and closed my eyes, the choices are in the hands of others. I told Zet my stance, let the die fall where they will. 

 

*Samhara*

 

I let out a sigh of frustration. We were here but the fighting hadn't started yet, not for us anyways. I looked out the frozen plains, little figures smashing against each other over and over again. I could see the gold of paladins, the white flutter of priests, figures dancing in and out were probably the rogues. Against them all stood….a mush of things. Some were skeletons, some were towering monsters twice the height of our allies but most were just various humanoids in armor. While many players stood with us, reports had come in that many stood against us too.

 

I hated them, almost as much as I hated waiting. Which is all we were doing! A blue flare erupted from the Eastern Front and I watched as our class mates thundered into the fray atop various mounts and fought back the enemy while those soldiers reorganized. We weren't as sturdy as other classes but we hit hard, so Zet had us organized to support the others. At least until the Game Master was spotted, then a group of us she had picked out were going to help clear her a path. 

 

I looked over at her, she stood silently watching the battle and listening to reports as they came in. She was back in skimpy armor, plates covering some essential bits and the lengths of her arms and legs. But all her joints were exposed and her stomach too. Such a raunchy lass...I glanced at my own garb and scowled. John had been adamant I wear some heavier armor for today. 'Not a Scrollbearer 'he'd said! 'Too risky' he'd said. I'd given him a right earful for that, though he made some good points. Not that I was going to tell him that….

 

My right ear twitched alerting me to someone coming near, his scent gave him away even before a hand brushed against mine and gave it a squeeze. I scowled at him but gave him a little squeeze back. We were probably all gonna die, but it's better to die fighting to be free than to live in fear. I'm not sure I believe in spirits and what have you but if they do exist I wonder if some ancestor of mine is smiling on me….

 

Zet called us over. "Aye?"

 

She glanced between John and I and had the ghost of a smile on her lips. I gave her a scowl, I'd have to tell her head's full o'mince later…."A report came in, the Western Front thinks they spotted the Game Master through those glaciers there."

 

I looked where she'd indicated, a narrow pass stood at the center of a glacier, a very narrow, easily defensible pass…."Looks like a trap."

 

Zet sighed, "Yeah. Yeah it does. But it might be our only choice. But I'm not the only one who'd be taking a risk so the question is do we take it?"

 

I glanced at John for a split second. What can I say, he'd been growing on me,  I wasn't sure I wanted to risk him…

 

"You already said we were dead if we didn't succeed." It was John who broke the silence, "eventually they'll pull the plug on all of us, people will get tired of paying to keep us alive and that'll be it! We have to try…"

 

I snorted, "Ach, the frilly lad is right. Even if we fail….As my da used tae say, "Failing means yer playin!' I dinnae plan tae live forever!"

 

Zet smiled, the wee cunt probably dinnae understand me again. "Aye Sam. I think I get it, like an old song I like. Even if we lose we did better than those who stood by and did nothing while this all goes to shit. Now all were waiting for is-"

 

I followed her gaze and saw a purple flare over the Western Front.  "That…."

0