Chapter 2: For Fox Sake
382 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zet stared at where the message had been playing, a blank stare on his face when he heard tear laden muttering, "Ohfuckfuckfuckshitfuckdamnjesuschristgodfuck" Frost began muttering as she fell to the ground her hands over her face. Her muttering dissolved into ragged gasps and sobs. 

 

Oh fuck, damn, what the hell are we going to do? Were both trapped in here, the kids are out there, if we both die then what? How will I get us through this?! Zet stared paralyzed, trying to process their mortal situation. Not I. Stop that you stupid bitch. Be a big girl, pull your shit together and be the team you've always been. Stupid woman. Trying to do things on your own…

 

Kneeling beside his wife he pulled her into a hug, "Frost?" She didn't answer, "Frost…. Marie!"

 

With a start she looked up at Zet, her body was racked with sobs and shudders. Her eyes wide with terror.

 

"Frost. Breath. We can't do this here. Our children need us. Yeah?" She nodded with jerking motions. "We need to get to town, somewhere safe." 

 

"W-we can't. We ca-we cant do this. I can't f-fight."

 

"Frost! You can." Kneeling down to be eye level with her Zet put a hand on each shoulder, "Its ok to be afraid, I'm scared shitless. But we can't do it here. We need to get to a safe space. We got this. We're Zet and Frost! The unstoppable team! We have chronic back problems from all the raids we've carried!" His excitement faltered at not even receiving a pity chuckle, "I'm your tank and you're my healer. Together we cant be stopped, just like always…"

 

Zet pulled her into an embrace and she clung to him as though he were the only thread trying her to life. Her shudders began to subside and her breathing began to even out. When she pulled back she was mostly composed. "I'm sorry. "

 

"Don't be. Let's get to an inn. Because I really need to have a break down too." He smiled at Frost and received a small one back this time. "Watch out while I check the map to see where we are, ok?" 

 

Receiving a nod of confirmation, Zet opened the map and saw they were in the Swamp of Zekeroth. Odd, this is like, 4 expansions ago? Haven't been here in years… Noting the nearest city was South East and across the region he closed his map. "We need to head South East, were in an old zone so should be out leveled to everything at least."

 

Frost nodded, "Hop on our mounts and fly back? Is that safe?"

 

"Has to be safer than staying here. I'll grab my two seater?" Frost nodded again and Zet returned to his menu. Taking a quick look at his combat skills he noted they remained familiar, Blood Burst, Rune Slash. Soul Grip, no apparent changes were seen. Switching to the mount tab he felt a burning desire to kill something burn through him, *This tab is empty. Please purchase a mount to use summoning skills*. "Check your mount tab hun, mines empty. Maybe it's like the gear…" 

 

Frost frantically opened her menu and after a few seconds of wife eyed searching she looked back at Zet. "Its empty ...now what?"

 

"Fucking fuck me sideways! Damn them!" Zet kicked the ground and threw his spear, "Fuck!"

 

"Zet…." Frost cautiously approached her husband. He took several deep breaths and made an obvious struggle of letting go.

 

"I'm fine. It's fine. I'm sorry. We'll just do this the old fashioned way. We'll walk. It's not like zones are that big anyways, it'll probably take us 20 minutes, let's just...be cautious."

 

"We'll be ok.  Just lean on me ok? We'll help each other through this and then break down in the inn alright?" Zet nodded and took her hand in his.

 

"You're right, I'm sorry." He leaned down and kissed her deeply, want and need expressed through the kiss. A need to be held, to feel safe. To be with his wife and let down his defences. With a sigh he broke it off too soon for either of their desires, "I love you."

 

"I love you too," tears glistened in her eyes.

 

They walked for hours carefully avoiding the edges of the water for fear of a lurking crocodile. They walked in silence to avoid attracting notice. Though they passed a small gnome sitting on the shore fishing near the start of the journey, a suspicious glare and a wave was exchanged as they continued past. They barely left eyesight when a large splash emanated from where they had just passed moments before. Cautiously returning they found a fishing pole alone on the shore with not a soul in sight. With greater haste they continued on. So it goes.

 

After several hours of travel, and much bitching from Zet about the obviously increased map sizes, as they walked along several protruding rock formations they came upon a small group of three individuals. Before they could skirt the area they were spotted and flagged down. They approached with caution, Zet leading the way to protect Frost if needed. A particularly average and bland high elf in leather stood at the front and approached. Zet thought the man seemed entirely forgettable. Behind him was an orc in chainmail with a large axe slung over his back and tiny fox-person in robes.

 

"What are you two doing out here? Kinda dangerous to be out alone isn't it? Especially with that shit gear you seem to be sporting." The leader sneered. 

 

I can't kill him because… I'll think of a reason later…"Well we're massive fans of Lake Placid and always wanted to see what the inside of a crocodile looks like...You look a bit douchey to be out here. Couldn't find a raid to carry you?"

 

The elf scoffed, "I'll have you know, I'm the top rated Ranger on the server."

 

"That's nice. Have fun needing on all the gear that's not for you." Zet maneuvered around the party, seeking to move on but the fox called out.

 

"We actually need two more." The fox had pushed past the orc. She was a fox race added to the games years past, she appeared to be a bipedal fox, similar to a fennec fox. She was pure white with grey accents around her face like swirls of mist. Her mouth hung open in a foxy smile.

 

"Shut up! We dont need some undergeared fuck to carry." The elf raised his hand as though to strike the fox but noticed the fire in Zet's eyes and lowered his hand.

 

"We're three dps, we could really use a tank and a healer. You two, maybe? If I'm not wrong?"

 

Zet looked at his wife with a raised eyebrow. She gave a slight shake of her head, barely perceptible. She whispered  "We can't. A dungeon? Were trying not to die!"

 

"It's a really easy dungeon! To test out our skills!" The foxes ears seemed to wilt when she noticed the sharp look from Frost, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to eavesdrop...big ears."

 

She giggled at the last and flopped her ears back and forth to emphasize the point. "And we can all travel back to town together! It'll be soooooo much safer! Really! Please?"

 

Zet was about to say no but stopped when he noted his eyes drawn to the door behind the other party. He felt a pulling in his mind, like he was drawn there. He couldn't tell if it a game mechanic, instinct or something else. Only that he had to go inside. "We should."

 

"What? But death!" Frost looked stunned. 

 

"We've handled mythics far harder than this area on our own. A full party in old content will be fine. And it lets us test our abilities."

 

Frost stared at him for several long moments before rolling her eyes in surrender.

 

The little fox tipped with glee, "I'm Pyria! Nice to meet you both! Behind me that's Greg and Roknar." She lowered her voice to a barely audible whisper, "Greg's a dick so watch him, he might try something and I'll have to torch him…."

 

Her voice returned to its former bubbliness no hint of the dark thoughts remaining, iui"Super excited to have another girl in the group!"

 

"Yay me…" Frost muttered with resignation.

 

***

 

Frostina

The inside of the dungeon looked like a cavern and smelled like it was the crocodile shit pit. I was already pretty pissy, first because the fucking game trapped us inside like some Sword Art ripoff. That was enough to nearly being me to tears again. I was ignoring it the best I could but no, my current issue was this damned fox girl. Holy fuck! She was annoying, jabbering on and on about… um ...I actually don't know, the crappiness of being a female player I guess? I'm trying to not listen. Honestly, foxes can't be trusted. I'm pretty sure this little thing was gonna nab the loot and leave us to die. So no, I don't want to be friends. Seriously, who would trust a fox character. Name one enjoyable fox person in anything, I'll wait...

 

"...and when we get back to the city, maybe we can go shopping or Oh! See if there's a spa! A regular girls day while the guys go do whatever they do, punch things or something!"

 

"Thanks but uh, Zet and I. We really just need to find some space and process what's happening. "

 

Pyria's ears wilted for a moment before spring back up, "I can help with that! I'm really good at cheering people up! And guys aren't usually good at that so I think some girl time would be the best for you!"

 

I was about to decline when Greg the dick interrupted, "If you girls want to focus, we're running a dungeon. Try to not screw up too much. Yeah?"

 

Before I could retort, Zet had the dick by one of his pointed ears. Her voice came out in a low rumble, "Talk to my wife like that again and you'll die choking on your own dick. Understood?"

 

Zet let the ass go after he gave a small nod, and walked over to me. "You're ok to do this?"

 

I nodded at her, "Yeah. Just pull slow so we get a feel for this all please?"

 

"Aye." She smiled and walked back to the front giving commands to the group. The elf gave her a sneer but seemed scared enough to listen. I know Zet says she's 'pronoun agnostic' and would tell everyone she goes by 'he' because her body looks male right now. But I know her, she's still her even if she's struggling with it right now. We really need to get to a city so we can work through this. She's really lashing out a lot…

 

Within a few minutes we reached the first group of enemies. They looked like soggy...decaying… two-legged rat things? The flesh was just sloughing off the bones which were sticking out everywhere and blech! And the smell was enough I think I might puke. Thank God I'm ranged. I readied a healing spell as she charged in, beginning the long cast time just to be safe. Zet was running in still when an arrow whipped past her into the mobs and immediately the group rushed past Zet, who swung her spear and sliced through the leg of one of the rat skeletons. Not that it noticed. 

 

The douche kept firing, changing targets while backing up. Fucking idiot was pulling agro before Zet could pull them! He was stabbed from several different directions and I could sense his life drop dangerously low. I unleashed my spell and the knives of the rat thingies were thrown violently from his body and the enemies were knocked down from the force. "Does the tank want to fucking tank?! God!"

 

"Hey dipshit! Why don't you stop arguing everything and let he- and let him tank!" I screamed back, that's when I noticed the mob running towards me. "Oh fuck…"

 

I activated one of my instant abilities and fired a lance of holy fire into the mob, 3 of them disintegrated in a burst of light. I felt claws dig at my armor from behind and screamed swatting at the creature on my back. Furry hands swatted it back, "Ow, stop hitting me girl! I need a better angle, too many long legs in the way…"

 

"And my HEAD is your solution?!" This fucking fox….

 

A tiny hand patted my head, "It's a very leveled head, now stay still dear."

 

A fireball launched from above me leaving my face feeling heated. 5 of the skeleton creatures were lost to the flame, from behind I saw Zet slicing through the last few skeleton rats. Despite the rough start it looked like we had this. The orc cleaved one clean in half with his enormous axe and the ranger even...actually, where is the ranger?

 

A deep roar shook the walls of the cave. "Oh no…"

 

Tiny dick, the compensator came running around the corner. Right on his heels, like if he stumbles he's a pancake, was a horrifying abomination. It was maybe 15 feet tall and looked like a bunch of the rat skeleton things had melted together. Faces were fused, the arms were just random body parts and something jelly-like holding them together. "You should pull faster tank. I found this so we can hurry up "

 

Zet's eyes widened as she stared past the ranger who was getting closer by the minute. I barely heard her mutter, "You fucking idiot…"

 

To her credit and my pride Zet ran towards the ranger a heartbeat later. Her hand flew out and she made a pulling motion a purple shadow extended from her hand to the monster. When she jerked, a shadow of the abomination came out of its body a few feet as it skidded to a stop, but the shadow (its soul?) snapped back into the body and a wailing of dozens of voices erupted. It changed course immediately and barreled at Zet. I began preparing a healing spell, this wasn't looking like it would go too well. 

 

Zet planted her feet and placed her spear into a combat stance behind her back. The hunter ran past Zet with not even a look of shame on his smug little face. Oh. I'm gonna fucking deal with him later...the abomination finally reached Zet, I realized I wasn't breathing and it brought a fist of what appeared to be half a dozen rat things down at her head. Zet's spear lanced through the air and sliced into the hand redirecting it to the ground next to her, then spun with her momentum to deliver a slice behind what I guess was its knee?

 

Our tank having engaged the monster a fireball erupted from above me and blasted into the monsters face knocking several bodies from its form. "This is fun! Onwards my steed! I want to make sure I don't miss!"

 

"When we finish this I'm putting a leash on you…"

 

"Ooooh, promise?"

 

I sighed, " and a muzzle…."

 

I heard the little fox giggle above me and unleash another fireball causing more bodies to rain from the monster. I watched it jerk suddenly and catch Zet in a sideways blow sending her crashing into a wall. A terrible crack sounded through the cave and I ran closer to see if she was harmed too badly. She raised a hand in my direction and waved me back and as she did, I noticed what looked like a thin layer of ice over her entire body. I threw a heal on her and seeing she didn't require many of them changed to a more offensive approach and launched bolts of holy fire at the beast. Roknar was busy hewing at the monsters leg opposite Zet and the ranger was 'helping' I guess. I don't know how useful those little arrows were against this creature. The fight raged on with a few heals here and there but mostly I went offense. There were rat skeleton bodies literally everywhere by this point. Yet still the monster stood fighting.

 

I felt the fox scampering off my shoulder, I'm pretty sure I had a kink thanks to her. 

"This isn't working great, brb."

 

Before I found say anything she was scampering across the area and climbed up Roknar's leg and started shuffling through his satchel. He said something I couldn't hear but she kept digging. After a few seconds her little ears perked up and she hopped down, I assumed she was coming back but instead she started clawing her way up the fucking monster! I watched in horror as she stood atop it's head and held a red stick above her head and lit it. Oh, I yelled a warning to the others to get back. I heard the little fox scream "You yes take candle!" before shoving the dynamite down its mouth and scampering away from the flesh golem. I dove behind a nearby rock moments before an explosion rocked the cave. I heard slattery noises and when I looked up there was mushed rat everywhere

 

I saw Zet emerge from where she had taken cover and ran over to her. "You ok?"

 

"Yeah, might kill that hunter…" She growled before softening a bit and looking back at me, "You?"

 

"I'm alright." I looked over and saw the other three digging at the golem's corpse. The ranger found a bag and pulled it out, he seemed to be counting out coins. "We should go make sure we get some loot too, I don't trust them."

 

"Me neither, the fox seems ok though." I gave him a skeptical look and as if to prove my point the fox grabbed two handfuls of coins and bounded away from her friends. I began to run to her, I wanted my damned loot, when suddenly a blast of ice tore through the cavern knocking myself and Zet to our knees. Standing before the exit to the cave was an enormous cloaked figure with a scythe easily twice my size. When it spoke it was as though multiple people spoke at once and it made my little hairs stand up, there was no warmth to its voice at all. "You've come to my lair. But only the worthy shall take my boon. Make your peace now, for you face The Reaper…"

 

It lifted its left hand and the room became filled with the wailing of dozens. All the little rat corpses we have knocked out of the golem began to rise, their eyes glowing green and their mouths open as they screamed their agony. "Fuck."

6