Chapter 6: Together
188 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I leaped into what I presume was some kind of wrestling arena and ran to Zet, blasting another goblin on my way. Zet launched forward and cleared the 5 or so feet to the group and sliced through the group in one swipe of her blades. She cut right through their necks and a heartbeat later the area shed cut through turned to ice. The goblins fell over and with the sound of shattering ice their heads popped free. Oh that's a nauseating sight. Thank God they aren't players, I feel bad enough seeing npcs go through that. 

 

Zet strode back over to me, I noticed now it wasn't just blood coating her. There were bits of bone and ...is that ground beef? "I didn't expect you to join me. Thanks, this is a bit much to do solo."

 

I stared at her, "What did you get us into?"

 

"So, yeah. It looks shady, however… I was trying to track Greg, " she sighed. "I got dumped through a portal and here we are. I guess this is the payment for the information? Surviving maybe?"

 

Payment? I looked at the corpses all around us. I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by a rather slimy sounding human. "Not too bad so far. I expected a show from one. And now two of you grace the stage? Wonderful, truly wonderful. I expect much from you two in the next...hmm, 30 seconds? I should think you'll live longer than most."

 

Zet looked pissed. Fog rolled off her and I shivered as the temperature around us dropped. I can even see my breath…"Next?! This hasn't dated your undefined terms?"

 

"Heh. Undefined you say. You entered here uninvited, you accepted whatever terms I set just coming here." He shook his head and raised his voice to just shy of a yell, "All of you're contracts are activated. Battle Royale! Our two guests vs… everyone else. Should they win then I will dispense the requested information. Kill them and amount specified in your contract is yours in full. Go!"

 

The crowd didn't move. They appeared stunned by this turn in events. Zet looked at me faster than I thought possible. "I need about 10 seconds. Can you hold them?"

 

"Yeah, I-" I noticed her eyes were already glazed over. The shock must have worn off because suddenly the crowd surged forward. I launched bolt after bolt into the crowd. People tripped on the bodies adding to the delay but they were coming regardless. I stomped my foot down and created the circle of burning light once more. The first to step on it began to burn with holy light but they were unable to back away, the ones behind shoved them down and used their bodies to avoid the ground. I suppose it's a very real take on 'the floor is lava'. I launched more bolts and dropped those who attempted to climb on their friends but there were too many. They kept coming and the crowd still appeared so large. They couldn't be more than a few feet away and then we'd be overrun. A hand clamped down on my shoulder.

 

"I've got this. Spend your skill points and get whatever talents you can. I'll hold them." She cast out her hand and a line of ice snaked out from a few feet away on the ground and wove through the crowd. She clenched her fist and the line exploded into ice spikes 3 feet long, piercing through the bodies on the ground and sticking the ones walking on them. "Hurry!"

 

I summoned my character sheet and was about to slam everything into Magic Affinity when I saw a new option, Mental Fortitude: Increases Mana regeneration rate and improves resistance to being silenced. Oh sweet baby Jesus yes please. Puts placed I flipped to my talents, it was finally populated. I saw something about Piercing Holy Bolts, another for larger area of effect for my circle, but what I caught my eye was Avatar of Light: Spell effects are increased for duration. See spells for details. Close enough! I took it. Another spell caught my eye, because it was already active. Passive: Light's Grace. The light protects and guides. Your targets - "Froooooost! Again with this?!"

 

Oh, she sounds done...I closed my window. I'll check that later. Zet was holding her own but only for another second or so, the mob had pushed through the ice spikes and she was taking them down with her swords. I mentally activated Avatar of whatever it was. I felt warm...everywhere. I threw out my hands to throw bolts.

 

***

Zetsumei

 

I tore another group to pieces with my glacial spikes. Frost was really pushing it this time. There were too many and I was forced to engage with my blades. Bodies began to shatter on the ground as they fell. I kicked one who got too close and was covered in more gore as a result. By this point I bet I smelled pretty fucking bad. I had a few new talents that helped but this was getting out of hand. Another slipped past my guard and managed to stab me through the hole in my armor were I had previously been bisected. I used Soul Reap and store their soul out, devouring it. They collapsed and my body rejected their blade as it healed. "Frost. Again with the browsing? I need help."

 

I asked in a very nice and patient voice of course. I heard a soft curse behind me but the idiots were pushing again and I was forced to engage. As I cut more attackers down light bathed the area before me and suddenly twin beams of light shot past me on either side, everyone caught in their radius dropped to the floor instantly. I looked back at Frost in admiration. She was glowing, her armor seemed to be made of light itself and enormous, angelic wings spread out behind her. I stared in amazement and nearly missed the figure standing behind her with a blade raised. I used my newly chosen wraith ability and appeared before the assassin in a heartbeat. The figure jumped in surprise but didn't have a chance to react further. My blades were already piercing their heart. Their entire body turned to ice and with a small shove of my hilts into the ice, they shattered. 

 

They hadn't been alone, we were surrounded and a few dozen were coming from this side. I shouted a warning to Frost and we stood back to back. The fighting lasted several minutes? Hours? I can't tell but we didn't seem to be making much progress. They were being more cautious, more coordinated. I suppose it was the fodder who were sent first. "I need 5 seconds! Watch this side."

 

Another beam of light blasted past me and the morons withdrew a little. I opened my talent menu and found the one I had spied earlier. I had enough points for it now, one thing to be said for all this, the combat rewards were substantial. Reaper Lord: Activating this Ability will improve one spell casts effect and damage significantly. Does not work with melee weapon skills. I selected it and had it activated the moment I closed that menu. "Zet! My form wore off and my mana is almost out!"

 

"Stand next to me." I blinked in surprise, my voice is normally two-tones. My own voice and what I presume was this bodies voice before I took it. This time I sounded more like the Borg. Dozens of voices spoke with mine. I cast Glacial Spikes again, this time it cast from both my hands. The twin lines snaked out in swirls. My concentration began to waver but I pushed on. The entire room except about 6 feet around Frost and I was covered in small lines of ice. I couldn't push any further, my concentration broke. Just as it did the others in the room must have realized what was happening. They all rushed at Frost and I, but it was too late. The ice erupted into 6 foot long icicles in every direction, like pissed off ice hedgehogs. The nearest ones only erupted about 3 feet, leaving a buffer between Frost and I and the carnage I had just wrought. 

 

Silence reigned. I looked at the field of death, red ice covered with limp bodies. I noticed a mental tug, like I was focusing on something without realizing it. I cut it off and the ice dispersed in a fog. The bodies collapsed to the floor leaving only Frost, myself and one other standing. The other began slowly clapping and built into an applause. 

 

"Wonderful. Truly magnificent to see such powerful players. That bit at the end surprised me, I'll admit. Disappointing I had to miss the effect." He smiled a smile that left his eyes empty. Disgusting vermin… "As promised, I'll be in touch regarding the location of your friend. Ta-ta for now."

 

"Oh no you-" I launched a purple shadow to grip him back to me but it was too late. He fell through a portal directly below him and was gone. "Fuck!"

 

Frost walked up next to me and took my hand. I looked over at her and saw a bit of repulsion on her face. I  sighed internally. It was nice to forget that for a moment while I was cutting down npcs, not worrying about having a new face and a new body. I felt nice, right. But, the face was a change for me, for her it must be a full set back. To those first months of us figuring this whole gender thing out. "Stop that, Zet. I know what you're thinking and you're an idiot. We'll get through this, you're you. "She smiled at me, "I love you, nothing will change that. But you're covered in blood and is that a tooth?"

 

I smiled, maybe I am just an idiot. Though I doubt this is resolved really…"Now what? I'd say we loot the bodies but ..."

 

Frost looked around us at the piles of frozen bits. That last spell had turned everything to little frozen chunks. "You don't know what moderation means. Do you."

 

"You realize they were going to kill us. Right?"

 

She shook her head and tugged me along with her, "First, you need a bath. Then, you need to get me wasted because I'm horny as hell after watching you back there but I'm going to need some help with getting over your downstairs…"

 

I laughed, "About that…"

3