Chapter 13: Loss
73 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Frostina*

Friends was a strong word. Like, really strong. I didn't trust Eire…come to think of it I suppose trust is hard for me to give to others here. The stakes are too high for blind trust. But I have to concede we did find Eire protecting people from an attack and she hasn't tried to harm us...yet. I sighed inwardly cause she did say kids are at stake and I really can't ignore that. So here I am. Staring down a portal, some stupid rip in the air that shimmered purple with an occasional ripple of rainbow sparkles. Zet's probably in love with the thing.

 

Zet paused before the portal once Eire had gone through. "I'll come back over to give you the all clear if it's not a trap."

 

"Zet-!" And she's gone. This bitch. I swear she finds ways to seperate us, I could kill her! Metaphorically. She stepped back into view to declare everything safeish and disappeared through the portal again. Shaking my head I followed. I stepped into the portal and immediately found myself in a dust covered stone room. The air was chilly and smelled old. "Seems this hasn't been used in awhile."

 

"It hasn't.  It's about 2 blocks to our destination." Eire answered offhandedly as she peered out a window with apparent caution. "If anyone were to get ambushed I want it away from the kids but so far that discovery becomes likely while crossing the city."

 

I nodded and looked at Zet who had that unfocused look of using the menu. "Spending points?"

 

She shook her head, "Already spent them. Checking cooldowns. Ridiculous...My Army is a week long cooldown, guess that's out if we find trouble. What's your Flood?"

 

"Um…." I quickly pulled up my menu to check. Ugh, I really need to spend my points before we get in another fight. I checked the cooldown and, well fuck. "A week…"

 

Zet just nodded, "Makes sense. Felt like your equivalent. We need to-"

 

"Streets are clear, come on." Eire interjected quite rudely. Though we do need to go. I followed her into the street, which was dark. This struck me as odd but a look up answered my question, the clouds were thick and black. Very little light was able to pierce that veil. I wanted to ask where we were but decided talking was a bad idea, being in enemy territory and all. We ran through the streets. ducking into alleyways as Eire constantly scanned the streets and windows but never found anything. This did give me a chance to check out the architecture though. Definitely medieval feeling, every building was stone from bottom to top. There didn't seem to be anyway to tell districts apart that I could spot, everything was so uniform. The buildings were different in size however from block to block. Someaware a set of 2 story buildings while others were as many as 5 stories. They definitely seemed to be getting taller the further we went. As much as things can change gradually in a two block span anyways. 

 

We finally stopped in front of a 4 story building with a wagon in front of it. Eire waved her hand for us to follow and, after looking around excessively, she descended a flight of stairs to a basement. I didn't see anything either as we went. I guess we were near a public area judging by the church or court a few buildings away. It was too dark to make out so I couldn't read what it was but I figure it was one of the two based on the twin angel statues out front. I glanced up at the sky as I descended the stairs, hopefully we could finish before it rained.

 

Ducking through the low door I found myself in a rather crowded basement of adults sitting in a row. I prepared a spell in each hand, this has to be a trick! She never mentioned adults! "The fuck Eire?!"

 

Zet had her twin blades out and casually stepped in front of me but Eire stood there passively watching us. She motioned for us to lower our weapons. We didn't, which elicited a sigh. "I'll explain, just put your shit away. They're scared enough."

 

"They're scared?" I scoffed.

 

Zet also had complaints, "You said kids Eire, you didn't mention fucking adults. Explain and then we'll decide where we're putting anything away…"

 

Eire rubbed the bridge of her nose in annoyance. "We don't really have time for this. Have you ever been able to choose a child avatar when making a character? Have you seen any children since this all started?"

 

I figured what she was getting at but, "I-"

 

"No, you haven't. Because all the kids have adult avatars. Thus, why people want to kill them and justify it."

 

Zet concluded the thought, "Because they say there's no way to prove their kids. That an adult could claim that to hide."

 

Eire nodded solemnly. The subtext wasn't so sub. "But Zet took her body from outside the game when we loaded in, why wouldn't the same happen for kids?" 

 

She shrugged, "Fuck if I know. Your wife is the only one I've heard that's happened to. Who knows why that happened. But we need to go, someone might talk if they haven't already and then were fucked."

 

"We can't portal out?"

 

"No. There's a contracted porter not far, but that stone was the only one I had,  just in case of an emergency. They're too expensive to keep several. Help me get them to the wagon." She moved to a small gnome who was watching us with a drawn blade near the...the kids I guess. Looking at them now I could see their fear. Some were crying, others looked like they were trying their best to keep a poker face. Still others were whispering to and holding each other. I looked at Zet who shrugged and started towards the line. I guess we extend some trust, hopefully it doesn't kill us…

 

Introductions were made but I immediately forgot the gnomes name. She seemed to forget us just as fast and returned to taking care of the kids. The plan was easy enough, the gnome would take two kids out with them while we each brought more, two by two. We'd get in the wagon and get the fuck out of here. Seemed easy enough.

 

And it was. After a few words from Eire the kids happily followed us to the wagon outside, we only had 2 kids left. I volunteered to get them while Zet protected the wagon. I went back inside and told the two to come with me. Annoyingly one of them refused. The kid looked like a 40 something year old white human male with some severe balding going on. Suppressing a sigh, I told him to follow me.

 

"No!" Now I'd rather slap him unconscious and drag his ass. But I reminded myself he's a kid and is not a 40 year old balding asshole. 

 

I crouched before the kid, "I'm Frost. What's your name hun?"

 

He looked at me with pouty lips. "Jason."

 

"Nice to meet you Jason. I need you to come with me, ok?"

 

"No! I want to go home!" He stuck his head back in his arms to hide his face.

 

We really didn't have time for this. "I'm going to get you home Jason. How old are you?"

 

"Eight…" Great.

 

"You know, my kids are about your same age. I miss them a lot. I'd like to get home to them. Do you want to go with me and we can get you home?" He nodded vigorously, so I extended my hand. "All right, why don't you take my hand so we can go home. Does that sound ok?" 

 

He nodded again and tentatively took my hand. With a sigh of relief I led him to the wagon. When we reached the street my heart stopped, Zet was standing before  what I can only describe as a succubus? But male? Zet would know its name. I also noticed only one angel statue remained in front of the court/church. 

 

"Come on Jason, let's go quickly now. "

 

"Frost! Get out of here!" An inky black bubble formed. One of Zet's anti magic bubbles, I heard a sound pierce the air and cracks began to form on the bubble. I began to realize Jason no longer held my hand and looked around.  He was hurrying back to his former living area. I called out to him but was cut off by a deafening shattering sound, a flash of green light erupted and flashed across my field of vision, I saw Jason consumes by a green beam. 

 

I feel funny. Tipsy but not quite. Why is the sky in front of me? I heard Zet scream and the sound of footsteps next to me. Eire knelt next to me with a look of concern on her face. Her hands glowed green as she transferred healing to me. "Frost, can you hear me ok?"

 

I nodded yeah. "Let's get you inside the wagon. You're gonna be ok hun."

 

"Going to? Where's Jason?" 

 

Her lips drew to a thin line. "We'll talk later."

 

"I'm cold. Wheres Zet?" A shiver ran through me. If I got much colder I would hyperventilate.

 

"Fighting the Scroll Bearer, she's got this." I nodded, "Zet! Hold nothing back, we need cover!"

 

I found myself in the wagon suddenly and looked out to see two legs standing on the ground, only the shins and feet were there. That's odd. In the distance I saw Zet swing both her blades to shatter the other fighters weapons and suddenly she was flying through the air and crashed through a building. My last thought was of concern for her….

 

*Zetsumei*

 

Frost went back in for the last set of kids. I wasn't thrilled to let her out of my sight but I'd checked and there was no other entrance to that hole the kids had been in. She was taking a while and I didnt like being here, that bad feeling in my stomach hadn't gone away. I turned to tell Eire I was going in to check on her when a thud sounded behind me, I spun and found myself faced by a literal demon. The skin was a dark gray giving him a cast almost like a gargoyle out of Gotham. Enormous horns pierced from the top of his head and curled forward into wicked points. While mine were more defensive in nature his were most definitely offensive. The skin really did look like stone but it was cracked in places and sharp, purple thorns stuck through the cracks with green liquid oozing around them. He retracted wings at least 15 feet in span, their coarse leathery membrane was thin enough to see veins. Overall the look was akin to granite. He stared at me with empty eye sockets, the holes appeared burned out, with blisters around the sockets. He had an evil looking grin, his teeth filed to points. 

 

"Hello little goat." He spoke in a deep baritone that resonated in my chest. A chest bare of clothing with abs carved by the gods apparently. Not that his pants covered much more …  His eyes flicked over my shoulder, "So these must be the 'children'."

 

"What do you want?" My own dual voice seemed weak compared to his rumble. For one of the only times in my life, I felt self conscious at the weakness of my voice. 

 

He returned his gaze to me. carrying all the weight of one inspecting a brussel sprout. "To win. Isn't that why you play this game little goat?"

 

I made an effort to deepen my own voice, to sharpen it with steel, "I play to escape. The only difference these days is what I'm escaping from."

 

Nailed it. If 'it' was to round exactly the same as I always do but with more petulance. He smiled again, though his eyes were untouched by it, "Shame. I hope you give me a better fight than the last Scroll Bearer did. So tedious."

 

I heard a feminine voice behind me and recognized it as Frost's. The demon's eyes began to glow a bright green. "Frost! Get out of here!"

 

I threw up an Anti Magic Barrier to protect Frost and the rest from the attack, I stood in its center when the attack unleashed. The black void of the Barrier began to shimmer a cascade of rainbows that was consumed by green. Cracks formed across the bubble. It shouldn't break this fast, it's barely been a few seconds! The space in front of me was covered in fractures like a piece of glass struck too hard but struggling to maintain integrity. I activated my Personal Anti-magic Shield and did my best to stand between the wagon and the demon.  The shattering of glass was my only warning ad the beam struck me full force, with the sound of cracking ice my shield shattered to pieces and the force threw me into the wall next to me. I heard a sound like wet meat hitting the ground, followed by a heavier thud. I pushed myself up on one elbow and shook my head to push away the blurriness in my vision. 

 

In front of the wagon I saw a pair of legs standing alone, everything from the knee up was missing. Behind them I saw Frost laying on her back, missing her lower extremities. I felt like I was floating. That odd state of numbness, an anticipation as you're about to fall. I heard myself scream her name but the reality wasn't hitting me. My vision was focused on only her lying there unmoving. I pushed myself up to run to her, heedless of the danger we were in. Eire knelt beside her and I saw her pass a healing spell into Frost. It tore at me, I needed to help her! But I'm no healer. My blades formed in my hands as I tightened my grip until my knuckles protested. This is how I help. I'm no healer, I'm a fighter.

 

"You son of a bitch!" I threw a line of Spikes at the demon as I rose to my feet and began to charge him. The spikes erupted but he casually side stepped them, not even a dodge. Just like, a nonchalant side step leaving almost no space between his face and the Spikes. I closed the gap, consumed with rage and lashed out with my blades in a frenzy of attacks. Every time he moved the smallest amount and I met empty air!

 

"How droll. I had hoped for better than this. Truly, the reports from that little village of abominations made you sound like quite the fighter." He released a long drawn out sigh, "Perhaps for that alone I'll save your severed head as a trophy to commemorate your prowess amongst the other drivel."

 

"Zet! Hold nothing back. We need cover!" I wasn't planning to Eire, I just need an opening!

 

A warglaive appeared in each of the demon's hands, both a crescent of elegant design. With a bored expression he swung them at me with no apparent exertion. Now is my chance! I swung my blades with every ounce of my strength to shatter his and continue through his chest. The blades connected and suddenly I felt a boulder collide with my head. Then another and another, by the fourth one I realized I was flying through buildings. I impacted the side of a building and finally fell to the street rather than continuing my flight. Fuck! My vision was blurred, I couldn't focus. Everything hurt though nothing seemed to be broken. 

 

Three demons landed before me, probably just the one but with what I'm sure was a concussion it's a bit hard to tell. "I am somewhat amazed you survived that, little goat. Such a flight for one so small. Maybe now you can see how helpless you truly are. You, a god amongst beasts are still merely a beast."

 

I needed a moment. A bloody moment to think of something! "And you're a god amongst men, is that it?"

 

He snorted, "Hardly. A god amongst gods. In a pantheon of One." 

 

He leaped with blinding speed, I couldn't follow him but began to spin in preparation of an attack from behind. Before I could rotate more than a few inches a blow struck my head like a thunder clap. I fell to my knees convinced it was over. A tugging informed me I was mistaken.

 

"Hmm, this is ...give me back my blade little goat." I realized the tugging was from my horn! A chance… He placed a boot on my back and began to pull harder and fuck did it hurt. "What's all this then? These runes? Stop that and give me my blade this instant!"

 

Runes? I wasn't doing anything to my knowledge. It didn't matter anyway. Bracing myself for the pain I twisted my head sharply and spun as my blades formed in my grip. I heard a snapping sound and felt like my skull was being ripped from my body but I was able to spin and caught him as he fell backwards, off balance. My blades flashed out but seemed to find empty air once more as he threw himself backwards. He skidded to a stop before me and gripped his stomach, when his hand pulled away there was a thin line of green staining his hand and spreading across his stomach. I felt burning across my right shoulder and looked over, the flesh had been sliced from it in a long line. The bone of my shoulder was exposed. I pushed the pain away, apparently I wasn't the only one to land a strike, though his blow was far more damaging than the one I had landed. My shoulder guard was entirely gone. I looked around and saw shattered remains across the paving stones.

 

He chuckled softly. "Not bad little goat. Not bad. I don't believe anyone has landed a blow on me before. For that you've earned the right to tell me your name that I may engrave it on your skull."

 

"Such manners. Do you treat all the ladies this way or is just that I'm not your hand." No, I still need time. He didn't react to my barbarian anyways, le sigh. "Zetsumei."

 

He frowned slightly, "Zetsumei...hmm. Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Glaive desu. I won't ask you to be kind to me due to the cultural implication that I would return that favour to you. I do not promise that which I will not keep."

 

"You speak Japanese?" For one so hateful and bigoted I would assume a far less worldly understanding, especially with the cultural importance of 'please be kind to me'.

 

"Some, my little goat. Some. Zetsumei…" He frowned for a moment. "Something about death is it not?"

 

He seems to be monologuing, this is good. Now, how do I live? "The culmination of death. Loosely translated."

 

I can try to summon my mount and run. I looked at his wings, probably wouldn't work in my favor. "How interesting for a little goat to choose. The culmination of death. Are you a philosopher to question what death culminates in?"

 

I can try my super powered avatar Glacial Spike thing. Ugh, but those wings! He could fly over them and then it's over! "It has meaning to me. What about you? Glaive seems pretty unimaginative for a 'God' in a 'pantheon of one'."

 

Corpse explosion? No, what corpse? Runic Blast? Too lengthy! What can I- I got it! "Glaive is exceedingly well chosen little goat. I chose it becau-"

 

I teleported behind him and stabbed forward, he again casually sidestepped me and delivered a kick to my stomach launching me through the nearest wall.  I'd been ready for it this time and the blow hurt far less. I crashed into a room devoid of life and furniture. With the beating of enormous wings, he appeared in the opening my body had made and pulled himself through. 

 

"Very rude to interrupt me little goat. Now I must end this conversation…" I lay against the wall where I had ended up from my crash landing. Either this worked or I had to hope Frost found a way out on her own. This fight couldn't go on longer because this is like Mike Tyson taking on a newborn…those poor little ears…

 

He approached me slowly, with precision oozing from each step. His eyes pulsed a soft green, almost like a heartbeat. I pushed myself to my feet and cried out as my left leg nearly gave out beneath me. I looked down to see bone sticking out through my shin. Damnit! He was almost upon me. I leaned back against the wall and steeled myself for the end. 

 

"Goodbye, little goatsumei." He chuckled at his terrible amalgamation and his crescent blades formed in his hands. He stood before me staring at me expectantly but I just waited for him to finish it. His lips turned downward in a frown of disappointment. "How droll."

 

I felt fire and pain spear me stomach. Looking down, I saw a glaive piercing my stomach on either side of my belly button. I grabbed his hands feebly and looked at him with tears in my eyes. A cough racked my body sending fire throughout as the glaives sliced me with each cough. A dark liquid splattered across the demons face and a copper taste clung to my mouth. I spit the pooling blood out as his face twisted in disgust. I whispered a threat, barely audible as blood ran from my mouth.

 

"Last words? Very well. Speak up now."

 

I leaned towards him, gasping as I pulled myself further upon the blades and whispered in his face, "You shouldn't have fucked with my wife…"

 

"Oh? And pray tell why that is." He smirked just a little but made no move to use his blades.

 

I activated my Avatar ability and my voice was joined by dozens more in a torrent of rage as I passed my judgement. "Because I'm going to reanimate your skull and use it as a shoulder guard. You will have no rest. You will have no release from the eternal torment to which I sentence you. You will be repaid a thousand fold for the suffering you have inflicted on others!"

 

His face twitched in possible fear as I declared my wrath. "Well, you forgot who holds the advantage here little goat-"

 

He cut off as he attempted futilely to pull away and found himself stuck. He looked down and I followed his gaze. My ice was already growing up his arms and had encased my torso. The one power I gambled on to save me was my Ice Armor, the gamble seemed to be paying off. It grew quickly and began to encase his body. 

 

"You bitch! What is this?" He looked around in panic but could not break free. His eyes began to glow bright, I reached out quickly and grabbed his horns, pulling his head sideways and away from me. Twin beams of green energy shot forth and tore away the building before them. His head was slowly moving down to look at me, while the horns gave me an advantage in maneuvering his head he was still far stronger. Finally my ice reached his neck and his movement ceased as the muscles were bound. "Die you fucking freak!"

 

His eye beams faded and he was left powerless, even his legs were bound in my ice. "Glaive. You are judged for your crimes against your fellow humans and I find you lacking in the most basic aspects of one deserving of breath. I'll remember you fondly as the shoulder guard that nearly killed me but failed in even that mundane task."

 

"You bloody, fucking cun-". With a twist I broke his head free of his body, which shattered into ice blocks around me. I looked at the lifeless head of one who had killed so many for so little reason. I threw the head in my inventory, I needed to make it to Frost!

 

 I took a step forward and collapsed. Blood poured from my stomach and my leg screamed. Never mind my shoulder, that's the least of my injuries now. I sent some of my ice powers into my twin torso wounds to stem the bleeding. As I passed the icy remains of the demon, a shimmer caught my eye. I winced as I bent down to investigate and found a small coin that gave off a rainbow aura. Deciding to see what it was later, I tossed it in my inventory and continued on. I dragged myself painstakingly slowly down the stairs and summoned my mount. After nearly passing out while dragging myself into the saddle, I checked my group panel and set off towards Frost and hopefully some healing from Eire...

1