21: Your Narrator Observes a Family Fight
90 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, the altercation with Alex’s parents end up being sort of anticlimactic, and not at all about me.

At some point, a guard knocks on his doors and escorts usback to where his family waits.

Before Magnus can even get a word in, Alex opens up his mouth and says, “I believe Aurelia, and I believe that the King and Queen are acting against our family.” And then, before the angry shouting and accusation can even die down, he follows up with, “If you want to send her away to comply with the laws, you’d have to send me too. Aurelia Saw that I was an elemental mage. I’ve tested it and confirmed it for myself.” Then he demonstrates by taking a nearby candle and repeating his whole fire trick.

The rest of the conversation is a bit of a blur, mostly because I sort of fade into the background as a whole family drama unfolds in front of me.1Honestly, if they were like, real real, the Silverwoods would be perfect to follow around for one of those reality TV shows. You wouldn’t even need to script them like you do the Kardashians. Not that I watched the Kardashians or anything, obviously. Sometimes it’s just on at my aunt’s house when I come over. And then what am I supposed to do, ignore it?

Mostly, I remember Magnus looking so red I worry about him having both a stroke and a heart attack at once, and Valeria crying a lot, and Luke looking confused and apologetic at everyone, including me.

But anyway.

The important thing is the end result, which is this:

The Silverwoods decide that for the rest of the day, their focus will be on the aftermath of yesterday’s battle.

Tomorrow, they expect messengers from the King and Queen and every other noble house, as that’s roughly how long it’ll take news of the attack to spread far and wide. The Silverwoods will then strategize together on how to defend their position against the royals, rival noble houses, and the rebels seeking to take advantage of their current weakness.2They... really do have a lot of enemies, when I think about it. This is terrible, but it feels like that’s actually going to be a problem for me? Alex Prime achieved what he did because he had nothing to risk. Now that they don’t die early on, Alex is going to be constantly watching his and his family’s backs, and I’m going to have to help him do it. Ugh. Why did I sign up for this. I’m sure I’ll be involved in those talks, one way or another.

Until then, I’ll be installed in the guest quarters with some guards. Purportedly for my safety, in actuality so I don’t run away.

So: all in all, Alex holds up his end of the bargain.

Now I just have to hold up mine.

 

Alex volunteers to ‘escort’ me over to the guest quarters I’m to be stashed in, and we get the hell out of the increasingly claustrophobic Great Hall.

I wait until we’re cutting our way through the inner courtyard to speak. There aren’t fewer people out here, really, but under the open skies and fall winds, words don’t seem to carry as far. It makes it easier to say some things.

“Sorry,” I mutter at him.

I don’t even really know what I’m apologizing for. Telling him the bad news about being a mage early? Creating a wedge between him and his family? Taking his girlfriend’s body?

All I know is that I just can’t get out of my mind the way Valeria’s tears had slid down her beautiful, devastated face.

Of course I knew by royal decree that all mages are to live in the capital and dedicate themselves and their magic to the King. Even nobles aren’t exempt. But I hadn’t thought about what that’d mean for Valeria. How she’d already been separated from her favorite son for several years in his childhood, when he’d been sent to Augusta. And how, if it was known that he was a mage, she’ll be separated from him for the rest of his life, barring a few of visits afforded to him as a sign of status.

Alex smiles, though there’s no humor there.

“Why?” he says. “I would’ve discovered my magic at some point, and been unable to hide it. Even if I weren’t a mage, the royal family would still be against us. I doubt I’d have been able to peacefully help Luke administrate the Silverwood lands and protect our borders like Mother so dearly wishes. At least this way, I know I have powers that will prove useful in the days ahead.”

Well. That’s true.

And in that light, Valeria and Luke’s for-now willingness to go along with my assertion that the royals aren’t trustworthy seem more self-serving than anything. If the King and Queen are against their family, then Alex doesn’t have to be sent off to Augusta as the law dictates. After, Magnus clearly still has doubts about my cover story. He only acceded because the rest of his family opposed him.

I guess I’ll take sort-of faith over no faith.

We’d almost cleared the distance of the courtyard when a childish voice shouts, “You’re here!”

6