Chapter 6 – Slums
1.7k 20 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I feel so cold, my whole body feels weak and it's as if I got smashed by a truck..

Where am I?

I woke up and looked around the place I was currently in and I saw that I was trapped inside a metal cage with a few other children sleeping in other metal cages.

Kidnapping?!

The last thing I remember is falling asleep in the garden because it felt so nice~

Ah! That's not the problem at the moment.

I need to find a way to get out of here. 

I feel too weak to do anything. Looks like they roughed me up quite a bit before they put me in this cage.

Eh? I'm wearing mana shackles? Damn it, those block my flow of magic.

Just great, I can't even heal myself anymore!

"Brothers, we caught a big fish today! It's the princess of this country!"

"Haha, I heard she had dual magic attributes and one of them is even the rare ice type!"

"We hit it big this time!"

Wow.. word of my "genius" self already spread like wildfire, huh?

I looked around in my pockets and found a magic paper sparrow that I previously created in case of emergencies.

"Fly to the guild and tell the old man and Mariana that I'm going to be fine. Ask them to go tell the people at the adventurer's guild that I won't be back for quite some time because I'm on a training mission, okay?"

I watched as the sparrow flew away and I realized that I probably should have sent that one to my parents. 

Nevermind, people will get suspicious if I don't go to visit the guild and they'll probably connect it with the "the crown princess has been missing" incident that's happening right now. My identity can't be leaked or else all my hard work will be ruined.

By the way, how much time was I out for?

"Nadina, are you okay? I was so worried when I saw those people capture you! You've been sleeping for a week already! If it wasn't for the fact that I directly transferred a bit of food into your stomach, then you would have died of starvation already!"

'Damn! It's been a whole week? Where the hell am I?'

"You've just arrived at the capital of Pafizika. If you don't take this chance to (somehow) escape, then you're done for!"

'Shoot! Alright, what the heck can I do now? I'll just use the remainders of my strength and rip apart these metal bars!'

"According to my calculations, even if you've been beaten up and been force fed a weakening potion, you can still muster up 50% of your strength. That's the power of a lvl. 55 warrior! It's more than enough"

'Alright! Here goes nothing! Hiiiyaaah!'

With my two feeble looking, but strong hands I ripped apart the metal bars and walked out of the cage. I bent the bars back into the right position so it wouldn't seem suspicious. I didn't forget to leave a clone that I also made with my creation magic to buy some time. I made it so that it'll disappear upon contact with a person.

"Good One Nadina!"

'Thanks. Alright, I'm on a run now. Hey Miranda, can you help me take off these shackles?'

"Yup, that I can do~ Easy Peasy!"

'I finally got out of that damned carriage. I better change my clothes so I don't look too eye catching. Afterwards, I guess I'll start living the life of a homeless person?'

"What weird ideas you got there. Well, best of luck! I have to resume my duties. See ya~"

'Bye Miranda'

First things first, I really should've used my space ability to store some more money because I didn't bring a lot with me. I mean, how was I gonna know that I was going to get kidnapped? I'll remember that next time. Alright, when people think of homeless.. it usually refers to the slums?

I'll go check that place out and make it my temporary new home.

And so, I went ahead and arrived at the slums. And honestly, I can't say I was too surprised since I was already prepared for the worst and it looks pretty much like what I expected. Tatter houses, skinny people in rags, hooligans running around, all that stuff. 

I walked up to the nearest person and asked them if there was an unoccupied house, but they replied that I had to pay for it.

Dude, I mean.. look at my 'homeless person' look, do I look like I'd have any money?

I sighed and asked him to lead me to the house. On the way, I saw many cruel scenes like people begging for mercy, or some that were almost dead.

We finally arrived at a really broken down house that could barely be called "liveable".

As promised I paid the man 154 copper coins as I tried to look as pitiful as possible. Don't ask where I got the money from. Maybe the man felt bad for me or something, but he gave me a map of the capital and reminded me to take care.

Let me tell you, a house that's selling for 154 copper coins is already hella cheap. The only reason it went for such a low price was not only because I continuously tried to bargain with him, but also because unless the new owner completely reconstructs the hut, the one he sold me is practically unlivable.

But I don't have the right to complain. I know that out here, it's either deal with it or perish.

Oh right! The currency in Sairale goes somethin' like this:

1 Copper - 1USD
1 Silver - 100 Copper
1 Gold - 100 Silver
1 Platinum - 100 Gold
1 Diamond - 1000 Platinum

And I have about 20 or so gold coins in my space storage. I'm pretty glad I didn't forget to keep some emergency rations. (Author: Bruh, you call that emergency rations?! THAT'S 10 000 DOLLAZ BRO!)

I tried to take my emergency rations out of my space storage and ...

I tried to take my emergency..

I tried to..

I..

I CAN'T ACCESS MY SPACE STORAGE?!?!

'MIRANDAAA, GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE'

"Dear Nadina, I would wish if you wouldn't call me down in such a horrid way. We just parted a few hours ago, what wrong?"

'I CAN'T USE MY MAGIC!'

"WHAT?? But I took off your shackles?"

'That's why I'm freaked out!'

"!"

'What's wrong..?'

"Uhh.. heh.. umm I just got a message from my brother, Nico. He's the god governing over Earth and he holds a very high position in the court of gods. But that's not the main point, it's the fact I think we have a bit of a problem?"

'What... problem? Why do I have a bad feeling about this?'

"Uhm... I mean, it's not THAT bad. Here, listen to this:

My dear little Miranda~ I heard you accidentally killed a human from my world, huh? I'll forgive you because you're my dear little sister! Unfortunately, I will still have to give you a little punishment okay? Little Nadina will have to stay in the country she currently resides in for 3 years, or else all her magic will be taken away by none other than yours truly! Have fun~"

'... Get over here Miranda~ I promise not to kill you~'

"W-well, I'm done what I came here for so good luck and bye!"

'MIRANDA I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!'

Alright, after a long time of calming down, I'm gonna start my lessons on street life. First, I have to find a job! Just as I was thinking about jobs, I found myself wandering to the big guildhall located in the center of the capital.

Woah! This is just as big as the one we have back in Frostillia! I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look around the guild?

I stepping into the guild and I walked straight up to the receptionist. As I passed by the missions list, I saw one that was asking people to help find "the missing princess of Frostillia". Good thing it didn't include a picture of me, or I'd be screwed.

"Hello is there anything I can help you with, little missy?"

I looked up at the beautiful receptionist and blinked. Suddenly I felt the urge to blurt out something random, and so I did. 

"Big sister, do you need any workers in the guild?"

The receptionist looked stunned for a moment and soon after she replied with a bright smile.

"Oho~ Does this little sister want to help around the guild?"

"Yes, please! I don't like to steal from others, even if it's just food. So I want to work to earn some money to buy it."

Her smile grew even larger as she said "Well, you are a little young.."

"Age is not a problem! I can do anything you ask of me without complaining!"

"A feisty one aren't ya? Alright, you can be in charge of cleaning the whole entire guild hall once a day. Every corner must be cleaned okay? After you're done with that, you have to come help deliver food to those who ordered it. Your pay is 15 copper coins a day. How about it?"

"Okay big sister! I will do it!"

"Alright! What's your name?"

"It's... Dina!"

"Okay, Dina-chan. You must get to work at 6:30 am sharp tomorrow and start working until 4 pm. Is that fine?"

"Yes, no problem!"

"Since that is all set, I just want you to sign this contract here and we're done!"

I signed the contract stating that I'll be working here as an employee and that I'll get my pay. I'm only allowed to quit after.. one year?!

Bloody hell.. I think I already signed it.. Ehh.. Sorry?

I also found out that the kind receptionist's name was Briana, and she gives off a familiar feeling. I wonder why?

After I was done with everything, I went home and bought some food along the way. I didn't dare eat too much or else I might accidentally use up all my emergency rations. I might need it for some other purpose, who knows?

I finally got back to my little shelter after almost getting robbed a few times and lay down to go to sleep. 

It's so cold here, I'm a bit hungry, but I have to bear with it. After all, this isn't back at the palace. It's the slums. 

----------

Brother's POV

I haven't slept at all since my sister's disappearance. I can still remember it very clearly. On that day, all we heard was a scream and we rushed to where it was.

It was a maid that laid paralyzed on the ground, shaking. She pointed at an empty patch of grass and cried "The young miss is gone! She was taken!"

That day was imprinted into my head as I was unable to forget it. Why was I so useless? I thought I was strong, but am I really so weak that I can't even protect my beloved angel?

Now the house is back to the previously quiet and tranquil environment as if nothing ever happened. But my heart had turned cold ever since that day.

The only things that keeps me from the verge of insanity is the fact that I can sense my sister is still alive through our bloodline connection.

So don't be scared, I will save you. No matter what it takes.

My Dear Naddy.

----------

6:00 AM

The sun was shining and the birds were chirping. I slowly awoke and looked up at the ceiling only to find it is covered with holes. 

Wait holes?

Oh.. right. I'm now living in the slums. 

Last night was so cold. I shivered the whole time. I'll go take a cold bath and head over to my new job.

As I arrived at the guild, I looked around and saw that there were a lot of people who were already up, though they were mostly adults.

I guess people have to wake up really early to earn a living. Life is hard.

And so began my first day at my job.

It took me until lunch to clean the whole guildhall, and that was at 75% of my full speed. Mind you, I'm lvl.110 (average speed is close to the speed of light because of my special constitution), so you can imagine just how big the guildhall was.

Briana was really surprised when she saw how short I took to finish cleaning and she looked at me like I was a treasure. 

I was awarded extra meat in my lunch. By the way, all the employees get free lunch.

I gobbled everything up since I didn't eat breakfast and I got back to work because I finished eating.

Throughout the day I got to know a lot of new people and interacted with then when I was serving food. 

It makes me feel like I'm back at home with all my friends from the guild in Frostillia.

I guess I just have some natural connection with guilds?

Summer becomes Fall and Fall becomes Winter

At first, I had a hard time adapting to my new lifestyle, but slowly, I got used to it.

Summers were burning and winters were freezing. I almost froze/burned to death many times, but I still held on.

Unfortunately, I still caught many colds, and my health kept deteriorating. I've gotten a lot skinnier over the years.

I've made many friends all around the capital and the nice Aunty selling buns gives me one for free whenever I pass by.

I even met Evan, the guild master here in Pafizika's Adventurer Guild. I told him about my real identity, and he was quite surprised when he met me because a certain old man (ahem, TOTALLY not the guild master of the adventurer guild in Frostillia) kept bragging to him about how they got a genius named Aki.

Oh right, did you know that Briana was Miranda's little sister? I was also really surprised when I first heard about it!

Once again, Winter becomes Spring and Spring goes back to Summer.

I've been here for about three years and I've risen 30 levels during the period I stayed for. That's probably how I found out I could raise my levels just by training my body during work.

Here are my stats:

Nadina Loctine (Aki)
Age: 8
Gender: Female
Race: Half Fairy, Half-??? (Insufficient level, Information Locked)
Magic: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Ice, Lightning, Light, Darkness, Space, Healing, Poison, Time, Creation, ??? (Hidden Requirement Not Met, Information Locked)
Level: 170 (Average Adventurer Adult is lv.30)
HP: Infinity
MP: Infinity
Titles: Blessed by the Goddess, Reincarnated One, Couch Potato, Good Actor, Crossdresser, Singer, Proficient Worker, Remarkable Waitress, Attracting Others Like Bees, Flower of the Street
Skills: Appraisal, Camouflage, Navigation, Perfect Expression Package, Perfect Makeup Artist, Perfect Maid, ??? (Insufficient Level, 
Hidden Requirement Not Met, Skills Locked)

I was even given the title "Flower of the Street" by the people of the capital.

I made many other friends my age and my 2 besties were named Lyra and Nicolas. We loved to sing for others in the capital and we got many donations for doing so. 

Lyra was from a single parent home, because her dad abandoned her mom for a prettier woman. Luckily, her mom wasn't that type that would abuse their children because of another person's mistakes and she worked as hard as she could to take care of Lyra.

Nicolas was from a fallen Duke family in Pafizika and he was the sole survivor. The fallen nobles were the Clark family and they used to raise very strong Imperial knights. Sadly, his parents and brothers all got murdered on an expedition. He couldn't carry the fate of his family by himself, so it eventually fell.

I met Lyra because I helped her sickly mother once by giving all my food rations to her, so we quickly hit it off. When it came to Nicolas... it went a little like this:

"Lalala~ I finally get to go shopping for new clothing with the money I saved"

Suddenly, I heard a shout in a narrow alleyway "STOP LET GO OF ME YOU BASTARDS"

"Heh, kid did you know that the money you stole was from our young master? You're just a stupid commoner. How dare you be so impudent to him." 

The 3 bigger men were about to go and beat up the child that was so skinny, that you could almost see his bones, when I suddenly yelled "STOP!"

The 4 of them turned to look at me and the first to snap out of a daze was the biggest of the 3 men.

"Yo, if it ain't a little girl. Her looks aren't half bad, I'm sure if we cleaned her up, she'd look much better."

"So what do you want little missy? This isn't a place where you can come to, you know?"

"Don't hurt him, he's just a kid. Can't you see how he's already starving?!" I'm not trying to be a hero of justice or anything, but this had gone past my bottom line.

"Oho, the little girl is playing hero now? Let me tell you, he stole a silver from our young master. A. SILVER. That's enough to feed you commoners for 3 months!"

I gritted my teeth and cursed at my bad luck. Finally, I looked up "If I pay it back for him, will you let him go?"

"Hah, YOU? Fine, I'll do it, that is if you can pay it all back"

I took out the silver I was going to use to buy new clothes today and said "Here, this is all I have left. Take it and leave, stop bothering him"

"Wow, you actually do have the money" He was about to snatch it when I pulled my hands back.

"Swear an oath that you'll never bother him again."

Oaths are powerful things. Once you swear an oath, you cannot go back on it, or else you will be put into the 9th layer of hell for punishment, depending on the degree of  your sin. Afterwards, you don't even get to reincarnate, your soul just scatters. That's way worse than dying.

"Hah, me? Swear an oath to you? Hand over the silver and you won't get hurt. Or else, I'll just take it by force"

*Snap* It was like my rationality snapped right there. All the hardships, pain and suffering I've gone through ever since arriving here poured out like raging emotions. 

I leaped towards the three men and beat them up so bad that they wished they were dead.

At long last, I regained my sense of reason and turned towards the little kid behind me. 

He had beautiful purple hair, like the midnight skies and black eyes that were like a black hole, sucking in anyone who looked in them. 

"Hey, you. Why did you help me? For justice?"

Wow, rude much "Justice? What's that? It's not a word in my dictionary. I just do what I want because I have the strength to do so. If they bully you, pay them back 100 times the pain they caused. That's all there is to it."

The boy looked shocked for a second, then fell into deep thought. 

After a while, he stared at me and replied with an enchanting smile"My name is Nicolas, since I owe you, I'll stick with you until I pay back what I owe."

Ehh? So troublesome! What kind of mess did I get myself in this time?

Thinking back to that day, I chuckled to myself. Ahh, how nice those days were...

Also, I celebrated my 6th to 8th birthdays with my friends in the capital and the guild. My life seems quite perfect and smooth, doesn't it? 

I still feel as if something's out of place.

Huh? Am I.. homesick?

I guess am, aren't I?

I want to go home soon.

Wait.. it's been 3 years, right?

Let me try to access my storage space!

I tried to access my storage space and... it worked!

I was so excited that it took all of my willpower not to jump up and run home right now.

"Hey Briana-nee, Lyra, Nicolas. I think I want to go home..."

Briana dropped the cup she was drinking from and stared at me, wide-eyed. Lyra and Nicolas also stopped what there were doing and looked at me.

"Eh? Dina-chan? You.. don't live in the capital by yourself?"

"No" I drew in a deep breath and said "truth is, I was taken away from my house and I managed to escape from the bad people who took me away. Even though I managed to get away, I had many injuries and it took time to heal. Now that they're all healed, I think my family's really worried about me"

"Dina.. while I love you so much and want you to stay. I know I cannot be selfish, so please, don't forget us, okay?" cried Lyra

"No.. Dina! I haven't paid back what I owe.. and I want you to stay! No, you must stay. I won't let you go!" Lyra smacked Nicolas in the back of the head and he looked despaired. 

" Then.. at least promise me you'll come back! You have to! I..I..won't allow this to be our last goodbye.." said Nicolas trying to be manly as he held back his tears, throwing away his usually flirty demeanor

"Dina-chan.. How tragic! Don't worry, you should go back to your family. I'm sure they're worried to death. Be sure to come to visit us whenever you have time okay?"

"I promise I'll come visit. Wait for me, kay? I'll miss everyone.. and bye bye" I said as a tear rolled down my face

"Bye, my little darling" Briana said as she planted a kiss on my forehead

In the end, I told everyone that I had to go back to my hometown and after lots of tears and sad goodbyes, I went back to prepare everything I needed get back safely.

"Goodbye" I whispered as I took one last look at the city I spent the last 3 years in. Then, I turned around and began my journey home.

Ta Da! It's Author-sama~
Did ya like the new chapter? No? Welp sorry, but I just felt like adding this little twist to it. Too bad~ xP
Poor Brother, he's worried to death! As expected of a sis-con.
We shall wish Nadina a safe journey home, so be on the lookout for the upcoming chapter
Ahh, I'm really hungry... x'3
Bye~

34