Tango and Peas
1.4k 5 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next two weeks passed like that. Maxine and Penumbra exercised every aspect of their transformative abilities. Some days was endurance training, trying to stay in what Max referred to as her “final form” for as long as possible, V being there during the agonising shift back. Others, Penny would try to teach her how to use her shifting abilities without destroying her body. 

 

And finally, Maxine started going to therapy again. It was helping. She was slated for HRT in a few months. She scoffed internally but Penumbra reminded her that humans didn't typically swap shapes and that, unless the change was gradual, there would be questions she couldn't answer. 

 

Beyond that, Victoria studied as much as she could and Max did what she could to give her that required space, which often lead to Maxine coming over after work, or staying in the apartment on her off days, doing chores and groceries, cooking and cleaning when Victoria had low energy days, and watched Star Trek (and twice, Pirates of the Caribbean) with headphones on when she was done. She was trying to find a hobby that took but it was mostly reading and watching things right now which, Victoria reassured her with a kiss, was okay too. Nobody figured out what they wanted to do overnight. This was followed by Max pulling her in and making a suggestive eyebrow waggle and the next few hours being a total loss, study-wise. 

 

Of course, they spent as much time in bed together as humanly possible without running each other ragged (and sometimes doing that, too), and their gay could scarcely be contained. 

 

—-

 

It was Wednesday and Maxine put the groceries on the kitchen table. The fridge had been empty and Max wanted to make up for the fact that she ate for two by doing them as often as possible. Victoria had asked her once how she afforded rent on a part time job, and the answer was mumbled, that she'd been on a disability allowance after a self-harm incident that had left her in a psychiatric hospital for a few months. She didn't like to talk about it, and Victoria held her until she'd stopped crying at the memories. 

“That was then,” she said. “This is now.” Max had smiled and nodded. 

 

With a thunk, the brown bags landed on the table, Victoria wooshing past her to steal an apple. 

 

“Hey, did you know the corner shop around the corner sells flour tortillas at like, a third of the price?!” Maxine happily babbled for a bit as she unloaded the food. “I love it.”

 

Victoria barely stopped as she kissed her in passing, simply adding

 

“And I love you.”

 

Max dropped a bag of peas and V pretended not to notice as she sashayed over to her studying spot on the couch. Trying not to hyperventilate, Max, jaw dropped and heart doing backflips, very carefully picked up the peas and put all the groceries away in their respective cupboards and fridge shelves. Then, she walked over to Victoria, approached her from behind and leaned over. 

 

“Can I help mm-”, V managed as Maxine kissed her upside down. 

 

“I love you too”, she finally managed in the most girl-puddle way possible. 

 

“I know.”

 

“Did you just… You dork.”

 

“You spider-man kissed me.”

 

“Shit, you right.”

 

Maxine kissed her on the forehead, nose and lips one more time, and then set to making some lunch. 

 

For her girlfriend. 

 

She did a little dance in the kitchen while she cooked, swaying her hips to the music in her headphones. Victoria could see her from her spot and just sat there, looking at her with such unabashed love that if Max had caught her she'd have been stammering and blushing. 

 

I like you like this 

 

“What, gay?”

 

Happy 

 

“Me too.”

 

You've been doing well

 

“You too! And we haven't eaten anyone in weeks!”

 

Go us!

 

Max threw the vegetables in a skillet with a big hiss. 

 

“Big hiss.”

 

Maxine. Penumbra almost never said her name. 

 

“What's up?”

 

We need to go out

 

“What like… Dancing?”

 

No. Up there. Be free. Jump. Climb. 

 

“I'm… You're right. I've been so caught up here… I haven't asked you what you needed.”

 

No need. I needed this. Now I need that. Please. 

 

She nodded. 

 

“Hey, question.”

 

Hmm?

 

“If, say, I wanted to catch some sleep… Would it be possible for me to… Take a nap while you drive this thing?”

 

I thought you didn't like being knocked out 

 

“Not without my consent, you goof.”

 

I think so, yes. Would you be okay with that, mom, letting me drive the car all by lonesome? 

 

“Never call me that again and you have a deal. Just wake me up if something happens. Let V know later you've been feeling cooped up. She'll get it.”

 

—-

 

“I get it,” V said with a mouthful of peas. “This is really good, Max.”

 

“You do?”

 

“Aww, thanks babe.”

 

Victoria smiled.”Of course I do. You're not human, you have needs. You shouldn't be stuck here with the two of us all the time.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“I do have a request though. Not like, an ultimatum.”

 

“Of course?”

 

“Could you make sure you have Max’s phone with you in case of emergencies? Oh, and maybe an idea of when you'll be back.” She smiled nonchalantly, hiding her worry. 

 

“That's my girlfriend you're carrying.”

 

“Not a scratch. I promise.”

 

“Heee, I'm your girlfriend,” Max interjected with a goofy grin. 

 

“Yeah you are. And I'm yours.”

 

Kiss. 

 

“Are you going to be okay?”

 

Yeah. Just leave after we doze off, take the phone and try to keep out of trouble so Maxine can get her sleeps in. If you're not back by sunup, can I call you?”

 

“Deal. Probably back before then. How does an hour after that at the latest sound?”

 

“If you get Max back in time for morning cuddles, I'm all for it.”

 

“Done and done. I'd never let her miss it.”

 

—-

 

They were doing the dishes - Victoria couldn't let Max do all the housekeeping, no matter how eager she seemed to be - and kept getting slightly distracted with kisses. Something occurred to V. 

 

“Penny?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“When Max and I are… Together…” They both blushed, the lesbians. “Are you like… Aware?”

 

I try to give you two privacy but… Intense… Emotions. Stimuli. Sensations. It bleeds over.”

 

“So every time we..”

 

“Yup”

 

“You can…”

 

“Yup”

 

“Does it bother you?”

 

“Not me. It's sustenance and fun. Does it… Bother you.”

 

Victoria made eye contact with Max. 

 

“Not… Reaally? I kind of… Assumed you were in there anyway?”

 

“Me neither,” Max chimed in. I can feel you in there anyway, I can tell you can feel most of it.”

 

“Penumbra?”

 

“Yah”

 

“Do you want us to… Keep you in mind? Is there… Can we do something… For you?”

 

Maxine's eyes grew big and her mouth fell open in an incredulous smile at the implication of Victoria's suggestion. But the real victim was Penny themself who, for the first time, stammered with no idea of what to say. 

 

“I… We… Mmm. What..  Mayb… Hm. Aaa”

 

Victoria kissed them on the forehead. “Take your time. But if you're going to be there regardless I want everyone to be comfortable. And happy.”

 

“You really are a spectacular girlfriend, you know that?”

 

Nose kiss.

 

“I do. And so are you and I consider myself lucky.”

 

Kiss. 

 

“Hey!” A blushing Max softly shouted after a fleeing Victoria. “That's not fair! You don't get to boost my self-esteem like that!”

 

—-

 

Penumbra sat crouched on the roof. Maxine was asleep. They preferred Max awake but she and Victoria weren't getting a huge amount of sleep as is. But, they reasoned, fun can still be had. Maybe, somewhere out there among the lights or beyond, there was something to hunt. 

 

Penumbra grinned, eyes and teeth glistening in the moonlight, and jumped. 

61