Chapter 6: Lake of Illusion
102 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up from the cold and hard bed, add on to that a grumbling stomach, I open my eyes and slowly recall last night.

“Water is the top priority today” I mumble as I swallow my saliva, clearly waking up from a dream involving fresh water.

After dressing in the same bloody clothes (A/N note: Can they actually be called clothes anymore? More like rags at this point), I follows the same disgusting smell I have become accustomed to since yesterday, and like yesterday in that aspect, I start devouring the corpse of the female goblin as my breakfast. (A/N note: that’s too pitiful).

Just as I was munching on the horrible green flesh, I heard three knocks on the cottage front door.

What?!

It’s impossible that anyone would knock on a door of a cottage in the middle of nowhere expecting someone to be inside this shabby excuse of a building. It means that the someone who knocked clearly knows I’m here and is indicating it to me by doing such a thing. (A/N note: Osborne the smart)

I stopped moving every cell in my body, concentrating on the being that caused that sound, I stayed like that for 2 minutes, dedicating my mind and soul on detecting every atom surrounding the cottage.

[Atomic Detection has been acquired]

Failing to find anything remotely to a presence in my immediate vicinity, I bring my attention to the skill I just acquired, it seems with enough effort at something I may receive a skill portraying my ability and talent in that certain something.

Leaving the half-eaten corpse as is, I wield my primitive knife while slowly moving towards the door, controlling my breathing to the best of my ability.

Just as I’m under half a meter away from the door, I open the door suddenly, trying to catch whatever entity out there off guard, only to find literally nothing.

It couldn’t be a hallucination because I’m dehydrated, could it? Shit! In any case, I need water and I need it fast. I close the door and immediately set out into the forest, crossing the tree trunks with ‘X’s to indicate my path as this time I’m going to explore really deep into this uselessly dense forest.

Heading North-East from the cottage I start realising the trees are getting less dense which could only mean one thing, picking up my pace (due to excitement) I rush through the trees until I’m greeted with a lake, a beautiful lake that is reflecting the sunlight as I stare at it, half believing it is another of my hallucinations.

-Place: Lake of Illusion Time: 15:03-

Approaching the lake after confirming there is no signs of life near the lake, I get down to my knees, just as I was about to cup my hands and drink mouthfuls, I stare at my appearance that is reflected on the water.

It was eerie.

What is reflected of my appearance is white hair, so white it would put snow to shame, coupled with the most perfect and symmetrical face I’ve seen (A/N note: you are too humble) almost looking like a manufactured doll with my expressionless face, if it was just this it wouldn’t be as bad, but the worst thing was my eyes, their colour was white…

The cornea of my eyes was shining bright, bright white. (A/N note: The cornea is the iris and pupil)

It was whiter and brighter than the whites in my eyes (A/N note the substance that surrounds the cornea was dimmer than the cornea itself)

So this is how I look like now, huh? These bright eyes are probably the cause of my night vision, but If I’m ever going to come in contact with civilisation, I have to do something about these….bright eyes, no amount of genetical mutation could cause that.

Clearing the depressing thoughts about my appearance, I cup my hands trying to hold as much water as possible and bring it to my mouth and drink….the only thing in my mind is….

Sweet.

The water is so sweet, I’d call it unnatural, not that I’m in any position to complain about water now that I finally found a source.

Having drunk water for the first time in forever (A/N note: according to our protagonist), I lower my head and cup my hands thinking, I may drain the lake before I’m satisfied, and that’s when I saw it and I’ll never forget it.

My reflection of me in the still water changed, it blurred for a second, before taking the appearance of my…..

Father.

Impossible. It isn’t possible for my father to be here, there is no way he could be here on this new world.

And that’s when, my vision blurred before finally coming back to me, to a scene that would bring fear to my bones.

-Place: Apartment of Despair Time: Unknown-

Regaining my sight, I observe the surrounding trying to make out where I am, only to find a place I’m…too familiar with.

This place is my bedroom of our apartment…..or it was until my dear father turned it into a torture chamber, and I….am current chained to the wall.

This place is so soundproof, I can’t scream for help, as I tried to for many years, but it is to no avail, the only thing awaiting me here is the abyss known as despair.

I need to get out of here, I need to leave, I refuse to believe everything I’ve been through was a dream I had, WHILE I WAS CHAINED TO THIS COLD, HARD WALL!!!

I seem to be very weak, too weak, as if I hadn’t levelled up or grown stronger at all, as if I was never in any new world, that could almost be described as a naïve dream.

Hearing noises from the other side of the door, I know that there is someone in the living room, who you may ask? I have a pretty good idea.

I need to break these chains, to break free, to regain freedom.

And just as I was struggling with the chains, he comes in….

“Well, well, well, you are more energetic than usual, aren’t you son? Normally you’d give me an expressionless face that wouldn’t change no matter the pain, coupled with my favourite lifeless eyes I enjoy seeing on you” My father opens the door to the scene of me struggling with the chains, wearing a sadistic smile.

“ughh” I moan lightly as I can’t even speak due to the horrid state of my body.

“Wow, since you are so lively, I think we should bring the pain up a level, and here I thought I broke you completely” My father mumbles to himself, as he picks out which of his tools he should use on me today. After thinking for what seemed like a while, he chose a long whip that had sharp nails coming out of it’s tail end.

Shit!

No! This wasn’t supposed to happen, I was supposed to have another chance, to get stronger, I won’t suffer anymore!

Countless thoughts fill my head, as my father swings the whip, as the whip end approaches my body…I will resist till my last breath.

The same voice resounds within me, as I gain a will to stop the whip from getting any closer, I need it to stop, I want it to stop, I order it to stop.

And with that familiar voice, the whip stopped, my father stopped, everything stopped.

Spreading my atomic detection in every direction possible, I realise that were my father and the whip are located, there are no atoms near them.

Which could only mean one thing, this is a dream, it is a virtual reality, it is an….

Illusion.

As soon as this thought comes to mind, the world slowly starts disintegrating into nothing but darkness, along with blue screens, I’m all too relieved to see.

[The Illusion has been broken! Eyes of The Truth has been acquired]

[Through countless hardships and obstacles, you obtained the title Illusion Breaker]

[Time Manipulation has been acquired]

Opening my eyes, from the nightmare I find myself…

(A/N note: I hope you enjoyed the long chapter, as it was a rollercoaster of emotions along the way)

1