Chapter 23 – Who Are You Going To Ask To Prom?
554 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Alice…?". Ethan said, coughing.

"You've been friends with Alice since when?". Eric asked, doubting them.

"Oh, I talk to her sometimes…". Jessica replied, trying to evade the subject. "But what's wrong with being Alice, Ethan?" she asked, quizzically.

"Anything". Ethan laughed. "I just don't think she will." He completed, capping the bottle and handing it back to Jessica.

"Why not?". Angela asked.

"She doesn't seem to fit in very well. You told me that yourself…". Ethan snapped.

"Ah, but she seemed to perk up yesterday when I asked her to sit with us at recess." Jessica replied, looking at Angela.

"I think it was polite, but you can try…". Ethan replied, shrugging. "But speaking of Bella, where is she?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know… She's been so weird lately. Like, more than usual." Jessica replied, trying to fix what she said.

"Yes, I felt it too. She's nice, but it seems like she stays with us just so she won't be alone. It's not like she really enjoys our company. I don't know!". Angela replied, her voice a bit despondent, but the expression she wore didn't seem to care.

"Maybe she really thinks that, and the first guy who wins her heart, she'll just disappear for good!" Ethan replied, already knowing what would happen.

"It will be? She doesn't seem to care much for the boys!" Jessica answered, half thoughtfully.

"It's just a hunch, I'm not sure either!" Ethan replied, looking at Alice covertly.

Then the bell rang, informing them to enter.

They entered the classrooms and Ethan walked into the physics classroom. On the way, he found Bella, head down, heading into the same room as him.

So, as they walked into the room and sat down, he decided to try to cheer her up a bit. He had no love interest in Bella, but he felt a little bad to see her despondent over the lack of Edward.

"Hey Bella!" Ethan approached, smiling.

"Hi Ethan! Are you going to have physics class too?". She asked, a withered smile on her lips, as she read a book.

"So it is! May I sit here?". Ethan asked, gesturing to the chair next to hers.

"Clear! All good!". She replied, curled up in her chair.

"What are you reading?". He asked, pointing to her book.

"Ah, Wuthering Heights." She replied, showing the cover to Ethan carefully.

"Oh, how cool! It's by Emily Brontë, right? I think that's it…". Ethan replied, trying to remember.

"Yes! Wow… Do you know her?". Bella replied, surprised and a little more excited.

"Of course, I've already read this book like 3 times!" Ethan answered. No, he hadn't read the book once, but when Bella lifted the cover of the book, he could read her name stamped on it.

"Swear? My god, I love her books! I don't think I've ever met anyone my age who'd read, either." Bella replied, tucking her headphones into her shirt pocket, the better to hear Ethan.

"Can you believe I don't either? Hardly anyone likes to read. People our age just like parties and sex, I think that's kind of stupid." Ethan replied, mocking the situation. He remembered exactly what Bella's tastes and opinions were like. It wasn't hard to please her, so he just started 'playing another personality' to make her happier.

"Exactly! This is so pathetic. Which book do you like to read the most?". She asked, curious.

"It might sound a little silly, but I love Beauty and the Beast!" Ethan answered. That book was a classic. All the people knew. It was too assertive an answer.

"What? Stew? This book is amazing! I got a limited edition from my mom for her birthday. I'm in love with him!". She responded enthusiastically.

The physics teacher entered the room and asked everyone to be quiet and sit down, preparing to take roll call.

Bella smiled at Ethan, indicating that they should talk later, and started to pay attention in class.

She looked more excited than before. It looked like Ethan had managed to distract her mind a bit, which he was glad about.

Time passed, and the bell rang again, informing about the break time.

Ethan stretched in his chair, dying of sleep from the boring class, and was slowly picking up his things to leave, while everyone else hurried to go to recess.

When he glanced toward the door, he noticed that Bella was standing in the doorway, waiting for him to come out.

"Oh, you didn't have to wait for me! I curl up too much when I'm sleepy." Ethan said to Bella.

"You don't like physics?". She asked, curious.

"I like it, but it's not one of my favorite subjects. I prefer history and mathematics." He replied.

As they walked to the cafeteria, Ethan noticed some flyers being taped to the walls indicating that the dance was coming up.

"They are already preparing the things for the ball…". He said to Bella. "Do you already know who you are going with?". He asked.

"Oh, not yet. I'm not really interested in going to that dance!" She replied, shrugging.

"Why? Sounds like fun… All in nice, happy clothes. Looks inviting!" He replied, smiling.

"You're right about that… But I don't know. I don't think I have anyone to call, so that doesn't excite me." She replied, as they entered the cafeteria.

"Fair!". He replied.

The two sat at the same table with their friends and looked together at the Cullens' table.

"What are you looking for on the Cullens' table?" Angela asked, surprising both of them.

"Huh?". Bella and Ethan looked at her, distracted.

"You were staring at the Cullens' table. Are you having a problem?". Jessica asked.

Bella was quiet, not knowing what to say, embarrassed.

"For the Cullens?" Ethan made a confused expression. "No, no! People looking out the window, because it looked like it was going to rain. We were talking about…" Ethan replied, trying to play it cool, but Jessica didn't seem to buy that story.

Bella looked at him, confused as to why he would have said that since they weren't talking about the rain, but just looked down and accepted. It was better than saying the real reason why she was looking at their table.

"I think I'll go get something to drink. I'm too sleepy. I will be right back!". Ethan said, getting up from the table and heading towards the soda machine.

He stopped in front of the machine, running his hand through his pockets, wondering if he had any cash, but apparently, he hadn't brought any.

"Want me to get you one?" Alice asked, appearing behind Ethan like a ghost.

"Huh? Hi Alice!". Ethan replied, embarrassed. "No need, I think I have some lost money here". He answered, still looking, even though he knew there was nothing there.

Alice giggled as he searched incessantly in his pockets.

"Don't be silly, Ethan. I'll get you one." Alice replied, placing her hand on his shoulder, bringing her body closer to his. He could smell Alice's sweet and mesmerizing scent, which made his heart race.

Alice took the soda from the machine and handed it to him, touching her fingertips to his hand.

Ethan felt his body shiver. She didn't have to try very hard to drive him crazy, and of course she knew it, she could hear his heartbeat from afar.

"Thanks!". He said, bewildered.

Alice smiled, embarrassed, and walked back to her table.

Ethan turned to go towards his friends' table and could see Jessica looking at him, who, at the same moment, turned her face back to the table, disguising it.

Ethan felt his body go cold. It felt like he was committing a crime. He took a deep breath and pretended nothing had happened, then walked back to the table.

"I went back! What are you talking about?". He asked, making conversation.

Jessica, who had never stopped talking before, was now quiet. It was obvious that she had sensed that Alice was getting too close to Ethan. She had a serious expression on her face, looking angry and sad at the same time.

"We were talking about the flyers for the ball. They are already hanging on the walls, have you seen it?" Angela asked excitedly.

"Oh yeah! I mentioned this to Bella when we were driving here!" He replied, opening the soda can.

"I'm so excited! I love parties with pretty, sparkly dresses!" Angela said, while squeezing Eric's arm in happiness.

"There Angela! It doesn't hurt me." Eric said, irritated.

"And you already know who you're going to call, Ethan?" Angela asked, smiling.

"Oh me…". Ethan said, but before he could complete the sentence, Jessica got up from her chair abruptly and said:

"I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back!".

"Huh? What got into her?" Eric asked, confused, as everyone followed Jessica with their eyes.


We are at the Start of the Month! The best time to become a Patreon!

I've made a Patre on to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 13+ advanced chapters on Patreon! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patreon.com/toToru

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/VDQdW6gDQC

19