140 Ritual Magic
3.3k 18 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold flew the nag, with a very quiet Kelly in front of him, to the enchanter's place in the town with the quest. They landed outside and Arnold hopped off and tied the nag up, then helped Kelly down. They didn't notice the small figure disappear through the small door on the roof of the building. Arnold walked over to the front door of the shop and went inside. Kelly followed him and they went to the counter.

The enchanter came out of the back with a huge smile on his face. “It was a great success!” He exclaimed and held out a large wooden box. He put it on the counter and opened it, to show the seven jewellery items were nestled in their own red velvet custom holders. “Some of my best work went into these pieces.”

Arnold closed the case and handed it to Kelly without looking at her. “We need the sheets back, too.” He said to the man.

“Of course.” The man said and took out the sheets and handed them to Arnold, who counted them to make sure they were all there.

“Did you copy them?” Arnold asked and the man gave him wide eyes, which looked doubled in size because of his goggles.

“Um... I...”

“How valuable are plans like them?” Arnold asked.

The man sighed, because he had been so easily caught. “They are practically priceless.”

Arnold didn't say anything and just stood there.

“I can give you the copies.” The man said in a defeated tone.

“You already memorized them.” Arnold said.

The man didn't try to deny it, because it was just too useful of a technique to not commit to memory. “What do you want?”

“I want to learn how to enchant.” Arnold said.

“DONE!” The little gnome under the counter yelled and climbed up a tiny ladder to stand on the counter. “Anyone who willingly provides such treasures deserves to be taught.”

“Do I need to take an enchanting class?” Arnold asked.

“Taking the class won't be available until you complete the trials.” Clarence said. “Until then, you will only be an apprentice.”

Arnold nodded. “It may be a week or two before I can come back.”

Clarence nodded. “We know all about adventurers. We will start when you come back.”

“Do I need to bring anything?”

“Just the willingness to learn.” Clarence said, then smiled. “We can send you for things later, since you have no problems getting the best items.”

Arnold nodded and led Kelly out of the shop. She didn't say anything as he helped her climb onto the nag, then he climbed on himself and they flew back to the woman that had given Kelly the quest.

“Is there a problem?” The woman asked as they landed. “The enchantments should be carefully handled by an expert and...”

“We have the items.” Arnold said and motioned to Kelly. She took the large wooden box out and handed it to the woman.

“You have them already?” The woman asked, shocked. “But...” She opened the case and caught her breath at the high quality of the items and the supreme enchanting work that had been done to them. “I... this is...” She looked at Kelly. “I knew I was right to put my trust in you, Fervent_Wish!”

“You're welcome.” Kelly said and glanced at Arnold, because he was the one that had to be trusted.

“Come with me.” The woman said and turned towards the front door of her house. “We need to get the ritual reaffirmed and completed as soon as possible.”

Kelly and Arnold followed the woman into the house and up several floors to the attic. There were discarded items and clutter all over the place, except for a small area in the very center of the floor. Six people stood there and had been waiting for them.

“What are they doing here?” A man asked, angrily.

“They delivered the family heirlooms back to me, husband.” The woman spat at him.

The man couldn't stop the shock on his face. “Wh-what... how...”

“Wouldn't you like to know?” The woman asked and looked at the other five people. “Please prepare the space for the reaffirmation.”

The five of them quickly cleaned up and added the proper items to the ritual circle, then drew a very intricate chalk outline with runes, symbols, words, and quick sketches of the proper items in their right spots. The man stood there and didn't help at all.

“Excellent work.” The woman said and opened the wooden box. Everyone gasped at the contents, especially the husband, then he became very angry.

“Those aren't the family's heirlooms!” He accused and pointed at them. “The ritual won't work with...”

“How do you know that?” One of the others asked and interrupted him.

“He was the one that stole them.” Arnold said and complete silence fell in the attic.

“It's true.” The woman said and pointed at Kelly. “This adventurer investigated and followed the clues right back here.”

“No! I didn't!” The man exclaimed.

“The evidence doesn't lie.” Kelly said and the woman nodded as she handed out the clues and finally the note and the cuff link.

“You want to ruin the family!” One of them said and the man winced. “Why? Why would you do this?”

“I'm sick of having everything go my way, dammit!” The man responded. “Any time something bad might possibly happen, something else happens and everything works out! I hate it!” He spat. “I needed to break this damnable curse, just so I can have a normal day for once! Just once!”

The others looked at him with surprise on their faces, then they all shook their heads.

“You are not worthy to be a part of this ritual.” The woman said.

“You don't have a choice.” The man scoffed. “If you don't have seven family members participate, it won't work.”

“Why did you show up, then?”

“To make sure it failed.” The man said. “If I had stayed away, you would have called someone else.”

“Well, we have the pieces and everything is set.” The woman said and put the wooden box down. “You're here now and you have to participate, according to the blessing.”

“It's a curse, damn you!” The man spat.

“Take your place and be ready to add your drop of blood.”

“Over my dead body.” The man said and took his place, as did the others.

“Start the ritual.” One of the others said.

The woman that gave Kelly the quest started to chant and gather magic to herself. She glowed slightly and the words drifted out and became heavy, as if they had weight, and pressed down on the seven individuals. She handed a piece of jewellery to each of them as she spoke and each person marvelled at the treasure in their hands. Even though their family was prosperous, none of them had ever seen such things or even thought about buying them.

The disgust on the man's face when he accepted the brooch could clearly be seen. The others ignored it and followed along with the ritual. The chalk circle started to glow as each of them pricked their fingers with needles and they rubbed their blood on the jewels... except for the man. He chuckled and just stood there... then he yelled in pain.

“AHHH!” The man screamed as a sword ran him through the middle of his chest. A hand caught the man's hand before he dropped the brooch, then the hand rubbed the brooch in the blood spilling out of the grievous wound. Everyone stood there in shock at the sight of Arnold holding the man up and the blood spilling on the floor and into the ritual circle.

“He said to do it over his dead body.” Arnold said and pulled the sword out of the man's back. He held the man's hand and didn't drop the brooch. “What do I do now?”

The ritual circle glowed twice as brightly as the blood seemed to gather only along the words and the outer ring of the circle.

“Um... p-place the brooch on the spot by... his feet, then step back.” The woman said and Arnold used the man's hand to put the bloody brooch in the right spot, pried the man's fingers apart to let the jewel go, and stepped back. The others put their items down in their spots and stepped back as well. The woman put hers down and said the final three lines.

The ritual circle glowed brightly as the center of it opened up to reveal a black expanse. A dark cloud floated up out of the hole and the seven jewellery items lifted up into the air with it. They started to turn around in a circle in place, then those circles rotated around the cloud. They went faster and faster, spinning and circling, almost faster than the eye could see, then the items were sucked into the cloud.

After a bright flash of light, the black cloud was gone and a very beautiful ghostly woman stood there. She was clad in a white flowing gown and her bright golden hair shined as if she was bathed in sunlight.

“She completely manifested!” One of the others gasped and immediately knelt.

“Matriarch of the Dynasty.” The woman who issued the quest said and bowed deeply as the others knelt. None of them had ever seen her in person before, because it had always been a cloud and a disembodied voice. “Please accept our sincere apologies for allowing your personal jewellery to be stolen.” She said. “Had I known my husband was so untrustworthy...”

The Matriarch looked at her and then down at the dead body. “Who has slain a member of the family that I swore to protect for all eternity?”

“I did.” Arnold said and stepped forward.

“ARNOLD!” Kelly gasped.

The Matriarch looked at him and down at the body. “You made me break my vow.”

“No, I protected your family.” Arnold said and she looked at him with surprise on her face, as did all of the others. “He gave up your protection when he decided to not complete the ritual.”

The Matriarch looked at the blood covered brooch on her chest. “You did this?”

Arnold nodded. “His blood was needed and he said with his own words that the ritual would be completed over his dead body.”

The Matriarch looked at the woman, who was the current head of the family. “Is this true?”

“Yes, Matriarch of the Dynasty.” The woman said and the others nodded their heads. “I wasn't sure how we were going to sanctify the new jewellery items without his blood...”

“Enough.” The Matriarch said and the woman fell silent as the pressure in the room intensified. “The ritual was completed, and yet, these are not my possessions.” She said. “How is this possible?”

“The adventurers provided them.” The woman said and didn't explain further.

“Why?” The Matriarch asked, confused.

“I...” The woman looked at Kelly.

Kelly pointed at Arnold. “Ask him.”

The Matriarch turned to him. “You have spent a fortune... several fortunes... to ensure my vow.” She once again looked at the body on the floor. “Mostly.”

Kelly barely managed to hold in her laugh.

“It was the only way to ensure that the enchantments would last.” Arnold said. “I didn't ask for a guarantee; but, the items are so expensive that I knew the enchanter would have done everything he could to ensure that his work would last for a long time.”

The Matriarch's ghostly fingers touched each of the beautiful jewellery items she wore. “Your words, and your intent, have touched me.”

Arnold stepped into the ritual circle and reached out to take her hand.

“NO!” The woman yelled, a little too late.

Either fortunately or unfortunately, Arnold had some of the man's blood on his clothes and on his hand. Instead of the insubstantial substance that he should have felt, his bloody hand took the ghost's hand.

The Matriarch gasped as his hand gripped hers and her other hand reached out and touched the blood stains on his clothes. “I can touch you.”

“It's probably because I protected your family and wear the blood of your enemy.” Arnold said.

“It's more likely that the enchantments you have provided me have given me more substance.” The Matriarch said.

“Let's test that.” Arnold said and boosted his speed as he chose the 'kiss on the lips' personal action several times. Everyone in the room was shocked as he kissed the ancient head of the family.

“Arnold!” Kelly gasped.

“Mmm.” The Matriarch moaned at the very quick succession of kisses he gave her.

“Perhaps it's the combination.” Arnold said.

“P-perhaps.” The Matriarch said and looked into his eyes. “Tell me your name, adventurer.”

“Morbid.” Arnold responded and she smiled.

“That is appropriate.” The Matriarch said and she reached into her own chest. She pulled something out of it and held it up to his mouth. “I am so very glad that you haven't chosen a class yet, Morbid.” She said. “If you would like to continue our conversation, please accept this.”

Arnold didn't ask what it was and opened his mouth. The Matriarch smiled and pushed it inside and Kelly was surprised that she could see... something... go down his throat. It stopped partway down and tendrils of ghostly mist spread out from whatever it was. They seemed to find purchase all over Arnold's body, then the ghostly form faded. She saw him swipe at something and wondered what the popup was.

The Matriarch took in a deep breath and Arnold's avatar did as well. “Ah, it worked.” She said and gave him a kiss. “Thank you very much, Morbid. You will not regret this.”

Arnold heard his alarm beep at him. “I need to go.”

The Matriarch nodded. “Godspeed, Morbid.”

Arnold stepped out of the ritual circle, completely unharmed, and went to Kelly. “I have to go to work.”

“I'll stay here and finish the quest.” Kelly said.

“Okay.” Arnold said. “Are you staying at the dorm all day?”

“Can I?” Kelly asked, surprised. She thought that he might want her out of there as soon as possible, after what had happened between them.

“If you want to.” Arnold said and left the attic.

“He is remarkable.” The Matriarch said and reached down to pick up the dead body, then she stuck her hand into the skull. “All he wanted was a day without my protection?” She chuckled and shook her head. “What a fool, since he was killed as soon as he didn't have it.” She said and the black hole beneath her opened up. She lowered the body into it and then it closed.

“Oh, boy.” Kelly whispered.

The Matriarch looked at Kelly. “You have completed your assigned task, adventurer.”

“Fervent_Wish.” Kelly said, then covered her mouth.

The Matriarch chuckled. “Freely giving your name to a spirit is not always a wise choice.”

Kelly caught her breath. “But... he...”

“Morbid isn't you.” The Matriarch said and waved her hand at the woman. “Please finish this adventurer's requirements.”

The woman nodded and went over to Kelly. “Thank you for your help, great adventurer.” She said and took out something that looked like a sash. “This grants you protection whenever you are outside the borders of a town or city. Use it well. If you ever decide that you want to sell it, go to any of our stores and tell them I sent you. They will buy it back for what it is actually worth and not the paltry sum a normal store will buy it for.”

“Thank you.” Kelly said and accepted the item, the very valuable item according to the internet, then she dismissed the popup for completing the quest. The experience she gained put her up another level and she unlocked another spell from her Book of Magic. “If you need any more help in the future...”

“I don't believe that will be necessary.” The Matriarch said with a smile.

To Kelly's surprise, and the shock of everyone else, the ghostly form of the Matriarch stepped out of the ritual circle.

78