144 Almost Over
3.3k 19 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold and Kelly rode the bus lines back to the college campus and Kelly had clung to his arm the entire time. It wasn't until they stepped off the bus and started walking over to Arnold's dorm building that she started to calm down. Her grip lessened and her breathing had evened out to a normal rate.

“Hi, there.” Doris said when they came into the lobby, then she saw Kelly's face. She knew terrified when she saw it. “Are you all right, Kelly?”

“I'm fine.” Kelly said. She was still shaken up a little; but, she was getting a handle on it. “It was a scary movie.”

Doris only nodded and looked at Arnold. “Someone else called for you and didn't leave a name.”

“Did you tell them where I was?” Arnold asked.

“Of course not.” Doris laughed. “Your privacy is one of the things I guard here.” She said walked over to meet them. “I won't let anyone bother you that doesn't have your permission to call.”

Arnold glanced at Kelly and Doris nodded slightly.

“Give me a hug.” Doris said and when he bent over slightly, her lips brushed his and Kelly didn't see it. “Kelly, are you staying again tonight?”

“Huh?” Kelly blinked her eyes and looked at the well dressed black woman. “Um... no, I... my dad wanted me to come home last night.”

Doris snorted and then laughed. “Oh, you poor thing!” She said and suddenly Kelly was in Arnold's place and Doris hugged her tightly. “You tell him that I made you stay, because it was too late and you were in no shape to go home.”

“I'm not really in the shape to go home now.” Kelly said with a sigh.

“I know.” Doris said and let her go. “All you want to do is stay and take care of Arnold.”

Kelly took in a sharp breath and then looked at Arnold. It was in that moment that she realized she had made a terrible mistake. Ever since they had broken up, nothing she had tried had worked. It had all culminated this weekend and she messed up so badly with him this morning. Now she knew why.

She had been doing it all for herself.

Kelly had only thought of herself and did the things that benefited her the whole time. Everything she said and did was self-serving and Arnold's welfare hadn't entered her mind. Not once. She took in a long slow breath and let it out.

“I think... I'm ready to go home.” Kelly said. She didn't let her failure color her voice, so neither Arnold nor Doris knew that she admitted to herself that she had been as manipulative and suggestive as Heather was. Kelly hadn't realized that she had picked up so many things from her friend over the years and she had tried them without even considering the consequences. Namely, driving another wedge between her and Arnold.

Arnold led her to the elevator and they went up to the top floor. A few more doors were open and some of the girls greeted them. Arnold opened his dorm room door and Kelly went inside. She grabbed her suitcase and went to the closet.

“What are you doing?” Arnold asked.

“Packing what I can.” Kelly said.

“Why aren't you leaving it here?” Arnold asked. “Even if you find somewhere else to live, taking it from here would be easier than taking it home and bringing it back.”

“I... it's the gesture.” Kelly said and she knew that Arnold didn't really understand. “I'm moving out and showing you that I am.” She clarified and kept packing. “It's like... when you brought Janet to the beach party. I'm showing you that you can find another roommate.”

Arnold looked around the room at her things and then at the suitcase. His face lost its expression and went blank as he nodded.

“I'm still your friend.” Kelly said. “We can always be friends. I'll be close by, especially if I can get a room on another floor or at one of the other dorms.” She said and closed her suitcase. “I'll keep my word to Annie and I'll try my best to help you as much as I can...”

Arnold stood there and didn't say anything, because he knew how busy the both of them were going to be when classes started. He picked up her suitcase and Kelly picked up her overnight bag. They stayed silent as Arnold led her from the room and he didn't shut the door. The girls in the hallway were deathly quiet as they watched Kelly leave with a suitcase that she hadn't brought with her the day before.

They all knew what that meant.

Arnold and Kelly rode the elevator down to the ground floor and stepped out. Doris saw them and managed to not gasp or run over to get an explanation. She let it happen, even knowing what it meant for Arnold's future at the dorm.

Arnold stood at the bus stop with Kelly and they waited for the right bus that would take her on the two hour drive back home. When it arrived, Arnold climbed on first and paid for a single passenger, dropped off her suitcase, and stepped off.

“Goodbye, Arnold.” Kelly said.

Arnold didn't even put his arms around her as he gave her a quick kiss. “Goodbye.”

Kelly thought about saying a few things, like how much she had enjoyed their time together, then she remembered the last two days and the last time they saw each other at the beach party. She definitely didn't want him to think that she enjoyed those times, so she kept her mouth shut and boarded the bus.

Arnold stood there and watched the bus drive away. He waited until he could no longer see it, then he walked across the street and went back to the dorm. When he stepped into the lobby, Doris was there and pulled him into a hug.

“I'm sorry, Arnold.” Doris said. “When she said that she wanted to go home, I didn't think she meant that she was going to give up trying to live with you.” I can't even tell him that she won't be leaving for good. She thought and wasn't sure what she could say to make things better.

Arnold put his arms around her and held her tightly. They stayed that way for several minutes, then Doris let him go and looked into his eyes.

“I know you aren't in the mood right now; but, if you decide that you need to have me later, my offer still stands.” Doris said. “You come down just before my shift ends and I'll do my best to make you feel better.”

“Thank you.” Arnold said and kissed her. He left her there in the lobby and went back up to his room and the girls there gave him sad smiles and offered condolences. They all knew that Kelly had planned to stay there with him for years, while they were in college together, and now she had left. On purpose.

Rebecca stepped out of her room and gave him a hug. “If yah wanna talk, jus' come on over and come right inta mah room.” She whispered. “Or if yah wanna jus' hold somebody fer a while, ah'll gladly keep yah company.”

“Thank you.” Arnold said and gave her a kiss. She let him go and he walked over to his room and went inside. The girls in the hallway watched him cook a meal for one and then watched him eat it. After that, he disassembled Kelly's computer and put it aside, then he packed all of her things into the boxes they had brought them in and added them to the pile. The few dry cleaning bags with her full outfits were next, carefully laid on top, and the task was done.

*

Pam parked her car at the restaurant and honked her horn. Janet came out of the front door and her face was a mix of happiness and frustration. Pam kept her mouth closed until her friend was seated beside her and had buckled her seat belt.

“How's the family?” Pam asked with a sly grin.

Janet chuckled and shook her head. “Mom's still trying to marry me off and Dad's happy that I'm still single.”

Pam laughed and backed out of the parking lot, then pulled into the light traffic on the main road. “What about baby sis?”

“She's still starry-eyed and innocent.” Janet said. “She wants to come to the college and have me take her on a tour of the place next week.”

“Well, she is starting there next year.” Pam said. “Did she decide what her major is going to be?”

Janet shook her head. “She said she wants to finish her last year of high school before she locks in her choice.”

“That figures.” Pam said. “She must have great grades in every subject if she thinks she can pick and choose what she wants, instead of concentrating on one subject and excelling at it.”

“Hey, not everyone has the same foresight as you.” Janet said with a smile.

“It was more like boredom bordering on apathy.” Pam said with a laugh, and Janet laughed, too.

The two friends shared small talk for the entire drive back to the campus. Pam parked the car and Janet hopped out.

“Hey! Don't forget your bribe!” Pam said loudly.

“What?!?” Janet exclaimed and looked into the backseat. “You didn't!”

“Yeah, I did.” Pam said and got out. “I know it's a bit much, considering I gave you some yesterday...”

“I didn't eat it all because I was trying to make it last!” Janet said and opened the back door of the car and lifted out the full garbage bag. “Oh, my GOD!”

“It was super busy for the last showing tonight and we had to keep the machine full.”

“I love you!” Janet said and carried the bag over to the dorm's front door.

“Are you talking to me or the popcorn?”

“Yes!” Janet said and they both laughed.

Pam opened the door for her and they went inside. “Hi, Doris.”

“Pam.” Doris said and Pam knew something was wrong.

“What is it?” Pam asked.

Doris quickly explained what happened with Arnold and Kelly. Pam didn't say anything in response and walked over to the elevator. Janet followed and they rode it up to the top floor. Neither of them said anything and walked down the hallway to Arnold's open door. He was laying down on the bed and stared at the television with a blank expression on his face.

Janet put her garbage bag down and shut the door, then she locked it. She knew that she and Pam had work to do and needed privacy to do it.

“Arnold, I'm so sorry.” Pam said. “I wouldn't have recommended that movie if...”

“She was leaving anyway.” Arnold said.

Pam thought about arguing, then she changed her mind and started to take off her clothes. She left her bra and underwear on and climbed onto the bed. Not surprisingly, Janet was right behind her, wearing just her bra and panties, and she laid down on Arnold's other side. They didn't do anything except snuggle in and put their arms around him.

At random times, Pam would lift her head and give him a kiss and then snuggle back down. Not to be outdone, or be seen as not caring the same amount, Janet would wait a few minutes and then she would kiss him, too. Her hand would occasionally rub his chest as well. They stayed there for quite some time and just held each other. Arnold's hands didn't roam and their hands didn't try to play with him or urge him to do anything else.

Eventually, the three of them drifted off to sleep with the television still on.

*

Doris wasn't surprised when Arnold didn't come down to meet her before her shift ended. Both Pam and Janet had a determined look in their eyes when she had told them about Kelly leaving, so she was sure that they were doing their best to comfort Arnold. She was glad that he had at least two people that also understood what she had meant to him, then she was sad that she wasn't the only one.

Doris smiled at herself for thinking so selfishly and left the dorm. I can't begrudge him having someone else to comfort him, even if they take my place. She thought and quickly walked across the campus. She needed to go home and get to bed, now that she wouldn't be staying at the dorm. She entered her house and Cissily's bedroom light was on. She walked over to the door and peeked inside, only to see her daughter was passed out on the bed and several empty beer cans were scattered around her and on the floor.

Doris went inside and gathered the cans she saw, then tucked a blanket over her daughter. “I'm very sorry about everything, baby girl.” She whispered and gave Cissily a feather light kiss on the cheek. She turned off the light as she left the room and shut the door.

Cissily opened her eyes and looked at the closed door. She had pretended to be drunk to see what her mother would say about her doing it on a school night and she had been surprised that Doris hadn't complained or ranted at her about it. She knew she would have to wait until morning to see if her mother would still stay silent about it; but, she felt like she was going to get a pass on the lecture this time.

Cissily fell asleep while wondering what could have happened for her mother to forgive her behavior.

*

The next morning, Arnold's alarm went off and he, Pam, and Janet woke up.

“Arnold, do you want me to take care of that for you?” Pam asked and touched his erect penis.

“I need to shower.” Arnold said.

“Not a problem. I need one, too.” Pam said and took his hand, gave Janet an apologetic look, then led Arnold into the bathroom.

Janet thought about leaving for several minutes, changed her mind, and waited for her friend and to see how Arnold was feeling. They came out of the shower twenty minutes later and Pam didn't have a big smile like she should have had.

“It's not as fun if your partner isn't into it.” Pam said. “He still got off in record time, though.”

Janet nodded and went to Arnold. “Look at me, Arnold.”

Arnold stopped drying himself and looked into her eyes.

“No, not like that.” Janet said and shook her head, then she did her best to copy his normal stare and stared at him intently. “Look at me like you're supposed to.” She pointed at her eyes. “Let me see that you actually see me.”

Arnold raised his eyebrows slightly and Janet reached up and cupped the sides of his face.

“I'm going to be just down the hallway for the next two years, assuming I leave for work and don't keep studying for my doctorate.” Janet said. “Two whole years, Arnold.”

Arnold's eyebrows dropped and his eyes changed slightly as he went into the stare that she had come to both be unnerved by and liked.

“That's right.” Janet said and smiled. “Now kiss me like you mean it.”

Arnold dropped the towel and put his arms around her and kissed her for several seconds.

“That's better.” Janet said with a smile. “Get changed for work and for the next week, you do the best damn job that anyone at the lab has ever seen.”

“Okay.” Arnold said and took out one of his suits and dressed.

“Show them that they are going to regret not giving you seniority.” Pam said and adjusted his shirt collar and his cuffs. “I'll try my best to stay here for the next two years, too.”

“Thank you.” Arnold said and gave her a kiss for several seconds.

“We're best friends.” Pam said. “We're going to do our best for you, so you better do your best for us.”

Arnold nodded and walked over to the door of his room.

“Oh! I forgot to tell you both the good news!” Pam said loudly. “I got a raise at the theatre!”

“No way!” Janet exclaimed and jumped on her friend to hug her. “That's wonderful!”

“What's wonderful is that I've got a bit more breathing room, finance-wise.” Pam said, happily. “I can afford to have a slow day at the bar now, without having to worry if I'm going to be eating that week.”

Janet squeezed her. “I'd never let you starve.”

“Neither would I.” Arnold said and hugged the both of them. “I need to go.”

“Make sure you enjoy work today.” Janet said.

“I will.” Arnold said and kissed her, kissed Pam, then left to start his last week of work.

76