Chapter 1: The Hard Road
124 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cerulean City was the one place anyone with a sane mind would try to avoid. Nothing ever good came out of it, you turn on the news and the first thing you hear is about is how another Cerulean Officer Jenny couldn't take the presures any more and killed herself of how the Cerulean Gym has filed for bankruptcy again. Yea its that bad.
So I guess that leads to very big question. What am I doing here? Well I happen to live hear thank you very much. Its just me and my Mom no one else, Because Dad died in a gang induced car wreck. Mom lived, that is if you call sitting in a wealchair while her nine year old son works at the Cerulean Gym to make a buck or two. Three if I'm lucky.
Working at the gym wasnt to bad I guess. I keep the place clean get payed almost nothing.  The problem is I'm the only one doing the job and it would be nice to have some help every once in a while. Seriously The Leader Hear had four daughters, three of them my age and very able to help, but no God forbid that mothers three little angels lift a finger. the youngest one Misty, who I think is about five years old, comes out to help sometimes but first her Mother has to be out town, which is very rare.
So here I am washing the out side windows as per routine, then I remember to cheack my watch 2:59 and 5, 4, 3, 2, and ...
"Hey you, Little Splashy!
Right on time.  That would be Krug the leader of the Deadly Serpent's Gang for some reason he makes it his routine to come by the Gym and try to make my day harder
"What do you want Krug?" I Asked in the flat tone I always spoke in
"I just want to give you an early birthday present." He replied
Thats right my birthday is tomorow, but how did he know that!?  I slamed my cleaning equipment to the ground and turned to face him their were two other kids with him both two years younger than me and a head shorter I could take them easy it was Krug who I couldn't take he had three years on me and was much bigger, but all that aside... "How do know my birthday is tomorrow!?"
"I know every thing Splashy."
the other two gave each other a high five
"Yea right, so let me guess for my birthday a knuckle in the face right." I gave him a smug smile and Krug looked a little disapointed, but quickly went back to being his tough guy self.
"Hey well thats only the first part tomorow when you go to get your first pokemon from Professor Oak I will have my boy standing at every exit to make sure you don't make it."
Should I tell him that I wasn't going to get a pokemon, that I was going to stay here and take care of my mother instead. No bad idea. "You do that Krug."
"I will do that and you'll never get out of this city, and you will always be my punching little bag." He started cracking his knuckles " You ready to get started."
I prepared myself for a battle that I knew I could never win, then out of noware.
"You boys leave him alone!"
It was the Gym Leader. he was a tall Man with red uncombed hair and a goatee. He had on a orange shirt and blue jeans and didn't look like someone who would lead a water type gym, but he did and I can tell you from watching some of his battles that he was good.
"Oh yea you want to go old man." He drew out his pokeball "Go Arbok!"
"Oh you think so do you?" said the gym leader "its crunch time Gyarados." Gyarodos loomed over the poor Arbok and gave out a blood chilling cry that could make a Snorlax wake up in a cold sweat. Suddenly Krug wasn't looking so hot.
"Yoy know what I just don't feel like battleing today." Krug turned to his flunkies. "what about you guys?"  They withdrew their pokemon turned and ran off
"Thank you sir, and you too Gyarados!" I said
"Your very welcome Splash." Said the Gym Leader Gyarados gave me a respectful nod before he was returned to his pokeball.  I loved that pokemon. Him and the rest of his kind they were big, mighty, fierce and didn't take crap from anyone and thats how I wished I could be, but I wasn't I was small even for my age and could only win a fights against younger kids. I shut the thought out of my mind, and went back to work. The Gym Leader just watched me.
"So have you changed your mind?" He finaly asked
"I'm still not going, I have to take care of my Mom." I replied
"I'm sorry to hear that you could learn a lot from a pokemon you know."
"I'll can live without that knowledge."
The Gym Leader let out a sigh "Well if you change your mind make sure you stop by, We would like to say good bye and wish you luck. Well Misty and I anyway the others don't like you that much."
"Oh I'v noticed."
"I'm sure you have. Well whatever your decision we'll see you in the morning."
"Sure."
The Gym Leader went back inside. When I finished I went back home to my mom. the walk home was somwhat diffrent today from anyother there was no one to harass me no one getting mugged in an alley, and only one cry for help. It was a quit evening for once.  When I got home Mom had dinner ready. Which was good because I was starved. Their was one thing wrong though she was unusualy quit, as I sat down to eat she finaly spoke up.
"Do you know why I named you Splash son?"
"Yes Mom you've told about a hundred times."
"Well I'm going to tell you again." At this point it was best to just shut up and listen "I gave you that name because I had a dream about you, and in this dream you much older and very handsome." I rolled my eyes at that last statment but she didn't notice. "You put your foot down on this city and a big wave came out from underneath your foot and spread across the ends of the earth creating good where ever your waters touched. You know what that means son your going to go places, and everywear you go people will remember you in thier hearts and you will inspire good, but the only way to do that is if you stop worrying about me and get out of this place."
"Mom like I tolled you before..." She wasn't listning
"I'v been saveing this for you Splash." she reach into a bag that hung from the arm of her wealchair and pulled out a pokeball and rolled it down the table. I grabed it before it rolled off and looked at it. For some reason I found myself laughing possibly to keep from myself from crying.  
"But Mom!" My voice cracked
"No! if you want to make me happy so badly you are going to get out of here When I wake up in the morning you better not be in this house."
I couldn't touch my food anymore.  
That night I packed all my essentials into a black duffle bag tooth brush, three black T-shirts, 3 blue Jeans, that includes what I'm wearing, socks, underwear, swimtrunks and one pokeball.
I didn't get one minute of sleep my mind kept raceing around my skull with idea's, possibilities, and fears. one thought that kept bothering me was my first pokemon what to get and how to get it. I didn't plan on leaving so I didn't make an appointment with Professor Oak for a starter pokemon so he probably wouldn't have anything ready, but knows maybe I would be suprised. The other option was to catch one on my own with my bare hands.
That morning I was out the door before Mom woke up and headed to the Gym to say goodbye to the two only friends I had just like I said I would, and sure enough thier they were waiting for me. Misty was in a cute little orenge dress that I knew for a fact she didn't like much because it was a dress but her mother made her wear it.
"Hi Splash!" Misty cried with excitement
"Hey Mist." I said back
"Well judging by the bag you decided to go?" The Gym Leader asked
"Yes Sir." I replied
"Splash is going?" Misty asked her father
"Yes he is Misty." her father answerd
She looked over at me for more answers I got on my knees so I could look the girl in the eyes
"I can't stay here anymore Mist.  I have to go and catch and train some pokemon of my own so I can become as strong as your father."
"Ok, but can you stay a little longer? my sisters were mean to me and they need to be punished again."
I look up at her father who was giveing me some very questioning eyebrows. Then I turned back to MIsty cleared my throat to answer her question.
"No Misty."
"Will you come back to battle with daddy sometime?"
"Yes I promise."
"Will you catch lots of pokemon?"
"Yes."
"Will You show them to me when you get them."
"Promise."
"No bug pokemon please they realy bug me."
Her father gave a little laugh and I smiled a little bit
"Yes I noticed a long time ago, and I won' t catch any promise."
"Thank you Splash."
"Your welcome, and can I ask you a favor now."
"Sure."
"Watch your temper while I'm gone ok."
"I don't have a temper!"
"Yes you do, just at some point learn how to contain it ok."
"Fine."
I stood back up and face The Gym Leader
"Well I guess I better get going Sir."
I held out my hand and he took it
"You know you don't have to call me sir anymore."
"I know Sir."
I started to leave when I remembered something
Turning back to Sir I asked "Can I use the back trail behind the Gym because Grug has guys all over that want to make sure I don't leave."
"Whatever you what just do it, you don't need my permission." He said
"Thank you Sir." I headed back behind the Gym to the path that would take me from this horrible and yet homey place. The place where I was leaving behind the Three and only people who I cared for Sir, Misty, and Mom.

I have two other stories that are far more readable, I wouldn't call them perfect, but reading them won't give you eye cancer.

The 1st is- Rise of the Magical Girl Vigilante

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/41701/rise-of-the-magical-girl-vigilante/

And the 2nd- We

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/55525/we/

Take my advice, turn back now while you still can.

1