Chapter 5: A Brief Interlude
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night, I had a strange dream. I was running through my house, searching for someone. The smell of smoke overwhelmed my senses, but I couldn’t find the source. Every room was empty, furniture overturned and broken. No one answered my calls. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a shape moving just out of sight. No matter how quickly I turned, or how hard I focused, I couldn’t fully make out what it was. All I knew was that it was small and dark in color. My head felt light as I breathed in more smoke.

Unable to handle the smoke, I ran outside. It was difficult to catch my breath. Coughing, I layed on the ground and watched my house slowly dissolve into smoke and ash. In the remains, I saw four bodies laying face-down. One of them was smaller than the others. They were covered in a thick layer of soot, but I knew who they were.

I woke up in a cold sweat. My heart raced as I adjusted to reality. Only a dream, I told myself. Nothing to worry about. None of it was real. Beth, Charlie, Ma, and Pop were all safe at home. Only a dream. The sun hadn’t even risen yet. I walked to the window and looked out. The night sky was getting lighter and lighter as the day came closer. As it was right now, everything was still asleep.

Small rolling hills dotted the landscape. Hidden behind them was a forest. The sun would rise from the forest and bathe the land in light. Creatures of the night hid from the majesty of the sun. The denizens of the day would awake and begin their morning rituals, like every day. Nothing changed, nothing was different.

I told myself that the dream was because I was worried about finding Henry and Arienne. Maybe it was karma for ignoring Greenspring last night. Yet, I still got chills thinking of the desperation I felt, running through that empty house. I sat on the bed and attempted to clear my thoughts. At a time like this, I would play music to calm my nerves, but it was way too early for music.

I would find them, and I would bring them home. Dwelling on any other kind of thought only made me feel sick. After writing my family a letter to let them know I made it to Kent’s Crossing, I planned to begin my search. Though I didn’t even know where to start.

It was too cold to only wear my nightshirt, so I put back on my clothes. After sitting on my bed for an hour or so, the sun rose. Golden light shined through the window, pushing away any depressing thoughts.

At this time, Pop and Ma would have already finished their chores for the day. Even though they had given the farm to me, they still helped out. Beth would be getting started on breakfast as Charlie clung to her leg. I wondered how they were dealing with Henry and Arienne’s absence, with my absence.

Shaking my head, I tried not to think of it too hard. We had extra money saved up for emergencies, they could hire help if they needed it. And in the worst-case scenario, they could hire some kind of mercenary to find Henry and Arienne. Maybe if they saved up a season’s worth of gold. Again, I tried to push those thoughts out of my head. I would find them, and we would return home.

Instead of thinking, I let myself enjoy the sun. The arrival of the sun brought with it many gifts. Birds welcomed it with song, an inspiration for many as they began a hard day of work. The heat from the sun warmed my skin as I stared out the window. I could already see some people heading off to the mines. Grabbing my mandolin and a small sack of gold, I headed downstairs.

The tavern was mostly empty. Samuel and a few of his crew were serving a round of breakfast to those who had stayed the night. Eggs, ham, and sausage links looked to be the meal of choice. I sat down at the same table I had eaten the night before. Samuel walked over from behind his counter.

“Ah, the great Norman Benson!” he said with a smile. “Excellent night last night! Can’t wait for tonight.”

“Of course, my good man. I’m sure now that people know I’m here, the tavern will be booming.”

“Let’s hope so. What can I get you for breakfast?”

I looked around the tavern and saw everyone eating the same food: sausages and eggs. A couple of people were eating fruit instead of sausages, but they were a minority of the tavern. Most people were fine with eating meat. I certainly had never had a problem with it.

“I’ll have—” I started to say.

The sound of stomping coming from the stairs interrupted me. Large fur boots made their way downwards, followed by a large figure. I recognized it as Nia, from the night before. Our eyes met from across the room. It took her a bit to remember my face, but I could tell the moment she did. Nia smiled and made her way to my table.

“Morning, Norman! Morning, Samuel! How’re you doing today?”

“Good morning Ms. Blackhorn. Slept well I see?” asked Samuel. Nia’s hair was a mess, tangled from turning her head against her pillow throughout the night.

“Aye, that’s what all those mugs of ale will do to you.” She grabbed a seat across the table from me and sat down. The chair groaned as she did. I noticed that she carried a huge two-handed axe. Though for her, I was sure it was a one-handed weapon.

“That it does. What can I get for you both?” asked Samuel again.

“The usual for me,” replied Nia.

“Guess I’ll have what everyone else is having,” I said.

Samuel bowed and went off to the kitchen, yelling orders as he went. With Samuel gone, my attention turned to Nia. She looked nervous as she played with one of her fingers, looking off to the side. What a curious figure.

“So Nia.” She jumped as I spoke. “What’s your plan for today?”

“Well, I don’t have much planned for today. Was going to help Tamara with work.”

“Tamara?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nia’s face grew a bit red as she cleared her throat. “Sorry, she’s the local blacksmith. I’ve been helping her while she’s been letting me stay with her.”

“Really? How fascinating. I imagine your strength is quite useful for that. Though I'm a bit confused, if you live with her why spend the night here?”

Nia stared down at the table. “I drank too much. She doesn’t like me coming back drunk.”

I nodded, smiling. “Reminds me of Beth,” I muttered. 

“Beth?” asked Nia, as one of the servers arrived with our food and some utensils to eat with.

“She’s my wife.”

Nia nodded, then a light blush formed on her face. Shaking her head, she coughed as she tapped her fingers against the table. “Would you like to come with me?” asked Nia, sounding less cheery than she had been.

“Sure.” I smiled at Nia, ignoring her change in demeanor. “I’d love to. Sounds like a good time.” I had planned to visit the blacksmith anyways. Henry had gone missing while he was working. It was possible they would know why.

Rather than dwell on those thoughts, I began to eat my food. Nia sighed before starting on her food as well. The pursuit of information wasn’t the only reason I wanted to see the blacksmith. Usually, those types of folks had interesting stories to tell. Knights in shining armor coming to them and demanding swords to kill ancient evils. Those types of stories. Though, those stories were all lies. Most people didn’t know that, which is why it was useful to know.

I shook my head. Finding Henry and Arienne was more important. Even though that was what I told myself, I couldn’t help but get excited. Getting to perform in front of an adoring crowd had been a dream of mine since I was young. Last night had been everything I had always wanted and more. If I could indulge in my desires a bit more…

Either way, it would give me more time around Nia. She was beginning to interest me. Perhaps she could be useful as a bodyguard, or someone to carry my stuff. Having strong people around you also makes others less likely to attack you. If I played my cards right, I could get a great deal.

We finished our food, mostly in silence. I tried to tell a couple of jokes, but Nia didn’t seem in the mood to laugh. She seemed to be deep in thought about something. Frequently, I would catch her off guard by talking or making some other loud noise. Guess she was regretting inviting me.

Nia was the first to get up from the table. Her chair grinding against the floor of the tavern as she pushed it back. I moved my chair back softly. She walked to the door and looked back at me.

“Coming?”

I quickly followed after her. “Of course! Lead the way.”

0