Chapter 18: Invaded
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18: Invaded

In the dark of the night i was lying on the cold concrete ground.

‘This city is too big.’

 “Hey, what are you doing here?”

“What?”

Looking at my left, there’s a young boy wearing rags.

‘Finally someone in this ghost town.’

“You should have evacuated from here.”

“Why should i? Also you’re still here.”

He suddenly looked down and went silent.

“What’s wrong?”

“No one wanted to take me away with them because they see me as a monster.”

Looking at the boy, the only feature that i see that stand out is his white hair and his eyes.

‘Is he a vampire?’

“All right, umm, can you tell me why this city is so empty right now?”

“You don’t know? The city was attacked by vampires.”

‘What?! Are they that powerful?’

“When did this happen, what was their goal.”

“I don’t know, they kidnapped every human girl and woman in the city and killed the rest,” he said with a monotone voice.

“You don’t look afraid when you said that.”

“Why should i care about those people? They’re just a part of the background for me.”

“Why did they not kill you too? Unless you’re one of them.”

“So you’re one of them too.”

I don’t know why but, when i heard him say that, i felt like my mutant heart broke.

“No of course not, it’s because I’m hungry, I’m not myself when I’m hungry,” i said, sitting up.

The boy looked surprised at what i said, and stepped back.

“Really? If you want, i can get you some food.”

“Of course, you’re a life saver.”

‘Even though i already tried eating at an abandoned restaurant, but this stupid Philo stone.’

“Un, come with me.”

‘Just this once I’m trusting this boy, I’m going to be crazy if I’m alone for another minute alone in this city.’

Following the boy, i felt inside my robe to feel if Grey is awake.

‘He’s still unconscious, what did that man do?’

In the moon lit streets, seeing the lonely back of the boy, i asked.

“Are you a vampire?”

“Half, my mother is a human, but my father was different.”

The moment he said father, his voice sounded strange but yet, not angry.

///

We stopped in front of a small house with the only light source in the street.

“Teacher I’m back” he said, opening the front door.

“Aqua, why did you bring that person here” replied a middle aged man with brown hair.

Seeing the distrust in his eyes, i know this guy is not nice.

“I’m only here to eat, please don’t mind me.”

“The vampires have extraordinary senses, there’s no way they didn’t kidnapped you.”

‘Does he think I’m a vampire in disguise?’

“Don’t worry Teacher; a vampire wouldn’t have disguised herself with a hole in her chest with two beating hearts in it.”

“Two hearts?! A Monster!”

He quickly ran to the boy named Aqua and pulled him to his side.

“What are you doing Teacher?”

“You shouldn’t have brought this monster here!”

“But, she’s not.”

“Someone with multiple hearts is demons no matter how you look at it.”

“That doesn’t make sense.”

“It’s okay, I’m leaving.”

“Wait, don’t leave.”

Aqua tried to follow me but failed to break the man’s grip on his hands.

“Let it leave Aqua.”

“But she’s not a monster.”

While i was walking away, the door shut but i could still hear what that man said to Aqua inside the house.

“don’t you argue with me boy, i took care of a monster like you is all because of your mother dying wish, if she didn’t beg for me to take care of you, i would’ve left you long ago.”

“I’m sorry teacher.”

“Now don’t bring anymore strangers here, anyone that can still wander in the city after the vampires attacked are monsters.”

“I understand.”

“Good, now just stay inside this house, don’t go wandering outside.”

With the house now quiet, i stopped eavesdropping.

‘Looks like this city is almost empty, i shouldn’t wander off too far from them.’

Wandering the area, i started to doubt if the city is really attacked as everything looked normal without any signs of fighting.

‘As if the city didn’t fight back.’

 “This place is dangerous.”

Now feeling a sense of crisis, i scavenged all the stores to find anything that could help me.

Although i found nothing useful i did found tools to help me break the scroll that Jin, the courier gave me.

“Come on!”

In a metal workshop, i held a blow torch against the scroll.

“Finally!”

Dropping the blow torch, i picked up the now opened scroll that took an hour to open and looked at the contents.

“Meet us in Pilgrim city, disguise yourself as a man and dye your hair.”

Looking at the small contents, i feel that my effort in the past hour was in vain.

‘Maybe they thought i wouldn’t know, after all this is deserted.’

I borrowed everything that i can use in my journey to the south and before i leave, i visited the Halfling boy. But i met him on the road there.

“Why are you dressed like that” the boy said.

“A disguise.”

I tried to disguise myself as an old hermit, but instead, i looked like a girl with a beard that reached my neck.

“I think you’ll attract more attention doing that.”

“You’re right, maybe if i tone the beard down a bit.”

Taking out my scissors, i cut the beard in half but, after i looked into the mirror, it still looks ridiculous.

“If you want, i can help you.”

“Please do!”

“Let’s first find a place for you to sit down.”

///

In front of clothes, i sat on chair while Aqua is cutting both beard and hair.

“You should cut your hair shorter; it’s not good if it’s this long.”

‘Looking at my hair that reached my knees, i agree.’

“You don’t brush your hair often it seems,” he said, touching my hair.

“I guess, i never even have a brush before.”

“That won’t do, your hair is beautiful, and you need to take good care of it”

“Really? Your hair is beautiful too though.”

“Not really.”

He suddenly stopped brushing my hair, his face showing regret.

“After all, mine is white.”

...

“What’s wrong with white?”

“Huh?”

“In fact, i think white is better than black.”

“But, white hair means-

“Meanings are meanings, beauty is beauty, meanings have no relations with beauty.”

“Really?”

“Of course.”

“Thank you, uhh, what’s your name?”

“Ahh sorry for not introducing myself sooner, my name’s Alex, nice to meet ya.”

“Nice to meet you Alex.”

Finally days after leaving the house i saw a bright smile.

‘Finally i saw someone else other than my father that smiled at me.’

“Hey Aqua, what’s your age? You’re half vampire so I’m curious.”

“I’m fifteen years old.”

“Really. I thought you’re ten?!”

2