Chapter 280
4.1k 10 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zhang Dong was a bit maddened. He had made many blunders through these aptitude tests which caused Beatrice to stand out. The plan of getting into the special class with somewhat lowered scores had fallen through. Beatrice was looking like some kind of gifted child now, far above the other powerful noble houses. He knew well how those types of people reacted to upstarts, his only hope was that they wouldn’t go all out against a child till she grows.

Then there was this guy that was trying to pull a fast one. He felt the magic instructor attempt some underhanded attack during the third test. To him, it looked like he was out for no good as this attack would damage Beatrice’s soul. The two were connected with each other so he was quickly made aware of this intrusion.

The purpose of this underhanded attack was unknown to him. It certainly had a different purpose than the mana pressure test. He reacted fast by intercepting the attacker, he was injecting a soul fragment for some reason so it was easy to pull it into his own soul dimension. Through this, he was able to make contact with the old man’s own soul and trap him here for now.

The place looked like a giant castle with him sitting on a throne. He had played around during the last training session with Beatrice and had left it like this. The old man he pulled in was now trembling before him and down on his knees.

“I apologize for my transgression, great spirit.”

‘I guess he thinks I’m a spirit like Beatrice does… Did he want to harm her? Maybe some jealous young noble ordered him to damage her future prospects?’

Zhang Dong was thinking in line with what cultivators from his own world would do. It was normal for them to try to cripple the competition. If this was true then he was kind of at fault for getting Beatrice noticed by the other students.

‘It could also be a big misunderstanding as always…’

He also had enough sense and life experience to know that things weren’t always how they seemed. The old guy could very well be doing something else entirely. He wasn’t versed in these magic world’s techniques, he could only distinguish them on a basic level. A prodding towards the girl's soul was done, if it would leave long-lasting effects or harm her, he wasn’t sure.

That is also why he didn’t try to trash him the moment he got here. His own soul energy was far greater than this old man. Though the old fart was the strongest person that he came across here. His energy levels were akin to someone at the very early onset of core formation. For someone at the middle stage of the nascent soul, this was nothing.

“Explain to me… what was your reason? Who put you up to this? Are there people aiming for Beatrice’s life?”

“Aiming for her life? N-no great spirit, you have it all wrong! This has nothing to do with the student that you made a contract with!”
The man became quite chatty, this was probably because his soul beast was right next to him. The size difference between the small old man and the giant golden dragon was immense.

Zhang Dong was painted a picture during this explanation. There were supposed ‘demons’ in this world, ones that liked to infiltrate human locations like this magical academy. Due to Beatrice’s strange boost in power during the test, he was called to check up on her. The attack that he intercepted was there to see if she was one of this form shifting monsters.

“So, these demons infiltrate schools like this to steal knowledge or to kill potential strong magicians?”

‘Great now I have to contend with body snatchers…’

“Is there a way to detect these demons?”

“Yes great spirit, they are susceptible to certain magical spells. The same one that I performed on your summoner…”

It was strange to look at an old man that was kneeling down and looking up to him with glistening eyes. He was like a really old wrinkled up puppy that looked at his master after peeing on the carpet. It did seem like he was telling the truth, he had certain techniques to measure things like that.

“Very well… you may leave…”

“Thank you, great spirit! I will never forget your generosity”

The man’s eyes opened up wide and he was all smiles but that turned upside down the moment Zhang Dong spoke out again.

“But to be sure, I’ll have to leave you with a small present.”

“A present, great spirit?”

Zhang Dong flicked his finger forward and a small golden bolt of lightning flew out. It connected with the soul version of the old man, the moment it did he could hear him scream out in pain.

“I will leave my mark on you, if you ever go against Beatrice in any way, your life will be forfeit! You don’t have to worry, if you do a simple task for me your life will be spared.”

The vice-principal opened up his eyes to find himself on the ground. The students that were taking the test were around him. It looked like he had passed out and dropped dead during the test. Even some teachers were coming from the side.

“Is everything okay?”

He shot up to his feet and checked for something. There was a certain seal placed in his body now, it wasn’t something that he was capable of removing with his current power. The contracted spirit that lived in the girl had placed some kind of kill switch on him, of this he was certain.

“Y-yes… the test is over… now if you’ll excuse me…”

The old man that was still disguised as the teacher quickly ran back into the back room where his associates were.

“Vice-principal what happened? You suddenly collapsed?”

“How long was I unconscious?”

“For about ten seconds…”

“Is that so…”

“What about the student? Is she a demon?”

“The student?”

The old man looked to the instructor that was asking him questions. Sweat was visible on his forehead the moment he thought about the person living inside of that young girl.

“No she is not… give her full marks for the test! Now… I need to talk to the principal! Stall a bit with the next test, don’t let student Beatrice contend before I return! ”

The other instructors were surprised by the vice principal’s exit. He looked like he had seen a ghost and was clearly afraid of the girl. This left everyone here with only more questions and even fear towards this young lady.

Beatrice was again the focal point of this test. Even the students that were together with her could see that for some reason the teacher was afraid of her. Zhang dong that was on the inside was slowly tearing out his hair. The vice-principal ruined his plans and Beatrice ended up with the highest marks again.

Now it was already too late to go back, it didn’t really matter what would happen at the last test. From Zhang Dong’s perspective, the students and teachers were already looking at Beatrice as some strange rare animal.

He placed a little soul binding technique on the old man so that he could listen in to what he would do. Through it, he could see the old man running towards some large tower that was further away in the magical academy.

‘Good he is following the instructions, hope the person in charge will listen...’

He rubbed his chin while Beatrice pestered him about what was happening.

‘Listen up Beatrice, it’s probably not going to be possible to hide my presence anymore. We will have to change our plan… slightly. ’

‘Um…’

He felt like the image of the glorious all-knowing spirit was dropping by the minute in Beatrice’s eyes. Nothing seemed to be working out so he decided to go out with a bang. The last test was going to be a practical one. The new summoners were supposed to call out their spirits and have them battle.

Their opponents would be the instructors and their summoned monsters. The only thing he could do now was to leave an impression on others. He needed to show off that he wasn’t someone that anyone could mess with. People were already aware that Beatrice had gotten a special spirit.

The only way to protect her now was to show that he was powerful enough to even go against the top experts of this world. This could be only achieved by facing off against the right opponent and that vice principal character would help him with that.

‘If you say so Leigong…’

He could tell that the young girl was starting to doubt his advice but for now, she was going along with it. Explaining the whole ordeal would take too long so for now he decided to remain mysterious.

After some time every student had gone through the third test. The results were posted on a large board outside of the testing chamber. The person that was first again was Beatrice, the girl had to contend with more surprised gazes.

Tests like this didn’t take that long and there weren’t that many people. The final test would be the longest as it required the young summoners to let their spirits clash. Before that, it was time for some arguing though as some of the young nobles weren’t having it.

“How did you do it, how can someone like you score this high!?”

A girl in a white uniform was now confronting Beatrice in front of the result board. Zhang Dong’s host was way ahead of the competition, the second place belonged to the young prince but it wasn’t even a close call.

“How would I even do that? Bring some proof before you accuse someone!”

Beatrice retaliated by glaring at the other female student. It was surprising to see someone from the less established students to shout back at someone in a higher position.

“You dare!?”

Zhang Dong perked up at the muttered words, it looked like this world wasn’t that much different than his. Now if the opposing side just continued with a ‘courting death’ line it would have been perfect. Before things could escalate another blond lady appeared. She was quite the beauty and known by everyone here, she was Isabella Hohenberg a duke’s daughter.

“Lady Godford, you should calm down and prepare for the last test... “

The girl looked at Isabella and instantly shrunk back. It was like looking at a small mouse that was confronted by a ferocious cat.

“I… if Lady Isabella says so… I’ll excuse myself…”

She was soon gone along with her own entourage of students.

“Thank you for helping, Lady Isabella.”

Zhang Dong could feel that Beatrice was surprised by the sudden aid. He could also see that it wasn’t done out of good will. That look that Isabella was giving Beatrice was filled with malice. It was unknown what she was plotting but he didn’t like where this was going. Luckily a green-haired young man appeared to diffuse the situation.

“That’s quite the achievement, Lady Beatrice was it? I’ll be looking forward to your next test.”

The youth looked quite friendly and he wasn’t even jealous of losing out to Beatrice. There was a certain shiver that ran through Beatrice the moment the prince talked to her. It was followed by a snapping sound from the direction that Isabella was standing in. The fan in the girl's hand that she was holding had been cleanly snapped in two.

“Oh my, it must have been old, I will have to order a new one.”

She played it off with a laugh before walking away.

‘I don’t think that girl likes you too much.’

‘I can see that Mr. Leigong…’

The gathering soon dispersed as it was time to get ready for the final test of the day.

114