Chapter 4 – Marielle
4.3k 12 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

--- --- Week 1 - Day 4 - Friday, 6th Day of the Seventh Month --- ---

Marielle woke, her dreams had taken a weird turn. An overpowered kitsune making fun of her, telling her how wrong she was, and making lewd comments how wonderful being her sex pet would be. During this she had had Noemy push her bare breasts into her face and books had tried to get her to read them.

She hid under her blanket. After the book she had found yesterday she was rather insecure about how to act with her cowgirl.

Was she supposed to say something? Why had she never wondered where the milk came from before? Should she pretend nothing happened? Were all those times her maid’s pillows were pressed into her not accidental but on purpose?

Something touched her leg.

"Eeep!" She jumped.

"Mistress are you alright?" A worried busty cowgirl in a maid dress asked. Noemy, half the source of her confusion had appeared.

"You are red, Mistress, are you sick?" The cowgirl started fretting, then a look of determination crossed her face. "Hold still Mistress, I will check your temperature."

The, stronger than they had any right to be, arms pulled her close and the cowgirls cool forehead touched hers as the firm chest pressed into her much smaller one.

Marielle was sure that she just heated up some more. Why did she have to open that page in that book? Now she did not know what to do!

"You are hot, Mistress." Noemy reported after a few moments. The cowgirl pushed her back into a lying position and prepared to cover her with a blanket.

"Noemy, I am fine!" Marielle complained. "I am hot because I was hiding under my blanket."

The cowgirl stopped her gentle yet forceful ministrations and gave her mistress a confused look. "I wondered what you were doing Mistress." The maid tilted a head in a confused way. "But, why were you hiding."

Marielle felt her face heat up again. "I don't want to talk about it!"

"Mistress?"

"No."

"Shall I prepare your bath then?" Noemy asked, now very confused.

"Yes please."

As her maid left her Marielle let herself drop on her back and looked at the ceiling of her canopy bed. "What should I do?"

No answer came.

------

After a bath and a very light fruit breakfast that Marielle was very pleased with, she picked up the metaphorically cursed letter from the day before.

One: her counterpart had no personal memories.
Two: she had lost all general knowledge.
Three she had changed to a blessed race.
Four: Tamano no Mae had made her a shrine maiden.
Five: she knew how to use her classes.
Six: she had been raised to epic.
Seven: she was a tease and very chaotic.
Eight: driven by emotions.

Marielle blushed at the number seven. Was she overthinking this? Did the memory loss simply allow her counterpart to act as she wished? Being epic there is not much anyone could do to stop her.

Maybe it was time to write a letter. For now, Marielle was burning with curiosity and frustration. And hunger. The breakfast had been so light she already had an appetite. But she was worried that that cook was going to take it as a reason to go overboard, again.

Decision made, Marielle grabbed a sheet of paper and started writing. "Dear Zaria, I am Marielle van Aschen, I am writing this letter thinking about our situations. Elior probably told you about me as she told me about you. I am writing to clear things up and to make sure you hear my take on my situation ….."

Feeling a lot lighter Marielle stared at the letter. There was no way she could send it. Her worries, her frustrations, and even her maid were all there. She had even ranted at Zaria! No this could not be sent. She felt much better now that she got it all off her chest. Even if nobody listened.

After mentally lamenting that she had written such a long letter she decided to burn it. Only to realize that she had already put it in an envelope and sealed it with wax.

"Noemy?"

"Yes. Mistress?"

"How many letters do I write?"

"You wrote seventeen letters last week."

For someone who did not have any business letters to write, aside from the social ones, it was probably a lot. Was she really that bad that she was already sealing letters without even having to think about it?

Marielle wanted to hide in her bed and think about it, but that would make her worrying maid fret again.

"Is the weather fine for a stroll to the pavilion and have tea there while I think?" She asked the cowgirl.

Noemy opened the window, the air was fresh, it was not cold and there was only a light pleasant breeze. "A light shawl in case the wind picks up. Which tea do you want, Mistress?"

"A black one with milk maybe." Marielle realized she had said the m-word and blushed.

"Yes Mistress!"

She did not miss how the cowgirl visibly perked up and the tail was swishing slowly. She really needed to read the book's chapter on cowgirls. Tonight, while hiding under her blanket.

She took a nice blue scarf that had been a present from her mother and wrapped it around her neck.

She pushed the ominous letter away from her. She'd hide it with all those other impossible to send ones in the back of her desk.

It was time for a nice walk and rest in the open air.

------

Noire returned. Sure, she had watched her mistress do this and that. But honestly her mistress was boring.

Spending all day doing weird squiggles and watching them? They were not edible, some looked like scratches, some like worms, some like footsteps. She had done those once, step into that blue water and then walk on those white movable flat things. Her mistress had not been happy.

So, after taking a few suns off she had returned.

The raven peered into the room. Empty.

She flew to the desk, in her bowl there was a grape, good, and sweet.

As Noire was enjoying her treat she spied something.

Spoiler

Noire rolls Int to remember what a letter is and what it is called
1d20 - 2 = (15) - 2 = 13
Noire remembers letters

[collapse]

"Letter!" The raven proclaimed proudly.

Now why was it here?

It had that weird bulge with more scratches that the mistress made before giving it to the round female or that weird man with those sparkly things on his face.

The round one that always stayed around was not there, she was probably with her mistress who was outside she felt. Sparkly man it was then.

Noire finished her grape and picked up the letter.

Out the window, one floor down, several windows away she landed on the windowsill. The window was closed so she put it down and knocked on the window with her beak. The man with the sparkly things on his face looked around inside. She knocked again.

Finally, he saw her, he stopped looking at more of those scratches and came over to open the window.

"Letter!" Noire told him proudly. When he had opened it.

The man picked the letter up and looked at it. "A letter from the young Lady?"

"Letter!" Noire insisted, why could he just do his job and put it away like always.

Alrik stared at the raven that had brought him a letter from the young mistress. It was addressed to Zaria van Kairan. The young lady of the Kairan house. He did not remember Lady Marielle ever sending a letter to her counterpart, but maybe it was about school? The two were starting this year. "I will send it with the afternoon mail."

Noire understood some of what he said, but since he had taken it, she was probably fine.

The raven flew off, maybe she could get more grapes in the kitchen.

------

Marielle was enjoying her milk tea.

Mostly enjoying her tea, the way her cowgirl was watching her drink the milk tea was a little unnerving. Though the way the tail was flicking whenever she took a sip was cute.

However, Marielle was not convinced it was just cute. The piercing look and tail clearly meant something. Or she was just getting paranoid. Very paranoid.

The tea was good.

Forcefully she pushed all distracting thoughts away and looked out at the plains. A nice cool breeze, the grass swaying in the wind, and the darker green of the forests further away, even further today the mountains were visible.

It was nice.

She wanted to visit the mountains.

To climb.

To be out of breath.

To manage on her own.

To stand at the peak and then look down.

To have the satisfaction of having achieved it on her own power.

Her stomach complained.

The mood got destroyed by her grumbling and empty belly.

She should have asked for cookies or something.

"Lunch will be soon Mistress." Noemy informed her.

Marielle finished her tea.

"I guess it is time to return then. But the weather is really nice today."

"Do you wish to dine outside?"

Marielle pondered for a moment. "Yes, why not."

"Please stay here Mistress."

------

The very light salad that Noemy brought was good. A few tomatoes cut in, a little carrot, the lettuce was shredded to the right size, and the dressing was perfect this time.

Marielle started feeling paranoid actually. Now that was outside, she wanted a walk in the gardens. She had a follower in the shape of her busty cowgirl. It was time to challenge the maze again.

The last three times she had gotten hopelessly lost, without ever finding the rose pavilion in the middle. One time she had even managed to leave by the entrance on the opposite side. This was going to be her fifth try and she really wanted to find the centre, and it was her first since she had taken her class.

The pair entered.

Spoiler

Marielle rolls Survival for orientation
1d20 + 4 = (16) + 4 = 20
Marielle succeeds in staying oriented

[collapse]

An undetermined time that had been filled with nothing but green walls, Marielle knew she was close. Just a little further, beyond two or three hedges was her goal. Now she just had to find a way closer that did not end in a dead end. She ignored the way that her maid was looking ahead mindlessly. Today she was going to brave the maze.

Half a sort off circle later she found a passage that led deeper inside and did not end with broken hope.

She was inside. Before her was the rose pavilion. It looked really nice. A small fireplace, a table and chairs, a small cooking space, and two beds with mosquito nets and heavy curtains. She stared at the two beds in confusion.

A closer inspection proved that it was really two beds, held in passionate colours, and each had a small stand inside for something.

Spoiler

Marielle rolls Int
1d20 + 5 = (4) + 5 = 9
Marielle fails to recognize the beds being there for pleasure use

[collapse]

After relaxing a bit, and lamenting that she had forgotten to take a book, the pair re-entered the maze to return.

Spoiler

Marielle rolls Survival for orientation
1d20 + 4 = (6) + 4 = 10
Marielle fails in staying oriented

[collapse]

A long time later, Marielle had to admit: she was totally lost. "Noemy?"

"Moo?" The cowgirl got startled when her mistress suddenly called out.

"Do you know where we are?"

"The maze?"

"I mean where in the maze are, we?"

The cowgirl looked left, then looked right, and finally looked back at her mistress. "We are completely lost!"

That was not what Marielle wanted to hear. Especially since she was thirsty and hungry. "Let’s try this way."

The lost in a maze adventure continued.

------

Noire felt it. Her mistress needed food and water. That meant no worms, Noire peered around the kitchen. Then looked at the bowl she had been given. She would have to share her grapes with her mistress.

She peeled a small branch with a few grapes off, flying with additional weight was difficult.

The raven launched itself off the table and flew out the window. Around the corner, a little up she then glided over the hedges of the maze.

The familiar landed on her mistress shoulder with an annoyed "Caw!"

The mistress was so hopeless.

------

Meanwhile a letter got delivered to the post office. With the seal of the Aschen Household it rated priority. That meant it was going to be express delivered. There were mages that teleported important letters and packages between cities. It was a well-paying job, and risky due to the many teleportations. They also always had an escort.

The letter was handed to such teleporters on the way to the Kairan Duchy Capital, from there further distribution was ensured.

------

The grapes her familiar had brought were refreshing. Marielle really wished she could communicate better with her familiar, but that was several levels away. For now, she tried to focus on her familiar and tried to push the feelings of 'home', 'food', 'tired', 'hungry', and 'thirsty' at it.

With a "Caw" Noire took off. She flew off to the side, that gave the two lost girls a direction. Searching for an exit took much longer even with a direction.

Spoiler

Marielle rolls Survival for orientation
1d20 + 4 = (10) + 4 = 14
Marielle succeeds in staying oriented

[collapse]

It took the two many more wrong turns and dead ends but finally, probably in time for dinner, and the two felt tired and exhausted. Marielle more so then Noemy, the cowgirl benefitting from the sturdier racial bonuses.

It was a sweaty, sticky, and tired Marielle that ate dinner with her father.

"So, you got lost in the maze, again." Duke Aschen said with a grin.

Marielle pouted at her father. "I managed to reach the centre this time." She smiled in memory. "It is a very pretty pavilion, only: Why are there beds?"

"To rest and spend the night with your partner." Came the immediate reply.

Marielle took a moment to process that. "Oh." She blushed a deep red. "Oh!"

Her father smiled at her. "So, I guess you two did not rest on them."

Marielle shook her head. "No!" She denied loudly.

The Duke smiled at his daughter. He was amused at her vehement denial. He also noted the thoughtful look on her personal maid's face. He had his suspicions about that cowgirl. Not that there was anything wrong with it, his daughter was one that wanted to see the world, and she was fragile, she was less fragile now that she had taken her class, against his judgement too. But it had helped her. A tanky protector like her maid was just what was needed.

Besides even with the class and the tome he had forced onto his daughter, she was still fragile. He hoped that whoever she would end up with, would make her happy.

That turned his thoughts to her supposed defender. Either he really had screwed himself over with that one or he had hit the jackpot. Though how the girl had gone from dead wizard to epic shrine maiden was something that was clearly a whim of her goddess. He had researched a little about Tamano no Mae. If that one was like her goddess, then Marielle catching her interest would probably be a good thing. He tried not to think of what could happen if Marielle displeased her. Being ignored was only the best outcome.

"Father, when do we decide on meeting Lady Zaria?"

"Soon probably, what Elior is reporting is concerning." He admitted. "If it were from anyone else, I would be inclined to disbelieve it."

"I agree." Marielle confirmed. "According to my research she would have to be at least level 43." She took a bite from her sandwich, the hunger keeping her from talking too much, for once she hoped there were seconds. One sandwich was simply not enough after her day.

"I have no idea what she is now, but whoever she was, was well liked by her goddess." The duke confirmed.

"I have never heard of something like this happening before."

"Neither have I."

Father and daughter were in agreement over one thing: Lady Zaria van Kairan was an abnormal existence.

------

Spoiler

Marielle rolls Int
1d20 + 5 = (19) + 5 = 24
Marielle remembers a certain letter that is now gone
Noire rolls Int
1d20 - 2 = (5) - 2 = 3
Noire forgot the letter she had posted

[collapse]

"Noemy!"

"Yes, Mistress?"

"It is gone!"

"What is gone, Mistress?"

"The letter."

"Moo?"

"The one I wrote and decided I can't send."

"Shall I ask the servants?"

"Yes, please!" Mariella prayed that nobody had delivered it.

Noemy returned after what felt to Marielle like hours. "Noire posted the letter, it has been sent off."

"Caw?" "Noire?"

The familiar was looking from her mistress to the maid and back again, clearly confused why everyone was focussing on her.

Marielle walked woodenly to the bed, raised the blanket and climbed under it. "I hope this is just a bad dream." Then she pulled the blanket over her head.

Noemy gave the familiar a look, then looked at the familiar sight of her mistress hiding under the blanket. She walked over and poked the bulge. "Mistress, you need to wash first, I will prepare the bath while you hide for a while."

A muffled whimper was her only reply.

------

A bath later Marielle pondered the mentally and physically exhausting day.

She had taken a walk.
The food today had been less than filling, she was already hungry.
She had conquered the maze only to find out that the centre was used for carnal moments.
She had gotten lost.
She had ranted at a level 43 or, as she suspected, much higher in a letter.
The letter had been posted by her returned familiar.
She still hadn't gotten the nerve to ask her cowgirl about the milk.
She had drunk the warm milk out of habit.
It was probably imagination, but it smelled like Noemy.
She was driving herself crazy.
She was too tired to continue thinking.

That night her dreams were filled with an army of Noemys' that were all hunting her in the maze to make her drink directly from them.


Glossary has D&D 3.5 Game and Rule Information
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/69709/lets-explore-and-enjoy/glossary/
Discord Link
https://discord.gg/chtmk3t
Character Sheets sorted by Chapters
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vzsM3kW_dXlHtbA6lrqL2YJW42L52esY?usp=sharing
Current Character Sheets and Various other Sheets
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sJdLJ_NUhYLzvsVnnyeNTjpE-X5ksjBw?usp=sharing

Spoiler

Dramatis Personae (quick Character overview on who, where, what, contains spoilers)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oyEHE2l_FYYl6Q2iaj6e3BQmbbHpnZIAVja59T4i-xM/edit?usp=sharing
Timeline (which mc did what where and when, massive spoilers)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TD7tSrDjTnwvTyqV3OtvJzoxzxzLtvhlZY3LtGplkvI/edit?usp=sharing
Current Character Sheets and Various other Sheets
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sJdLJ_NUhYLzvsVnnyeNTjpE-X5ksjBw?usp=sharing

[collapse]

Notes:
Marielle has almost caught up with the others.
And Noire is fun. With this another plot hook is set, from some things said in discord I realized that certain things said or unsaid are sometimes confusing. I do try to set up some things for the future. And no, not letting the reader know everything is on purpose.
Like what Zaria talked to Mrr'am about. That is going to be important, but in the future.

Poll: Every Village needs an Idiot
Premise? A Power gamer: One of those ppl from the combat rpg groups. Those who ignore flavour text, alignment rules, find skills mostly useless, and think that dps is all that matters.
I am planning on making him the last reincarnate.
Now it is time to decide if you want to see one in a setting that enforces the rules, and has to comply even with the flavour text.
A-1: Not Interested, keep the idiots away, the world has enough of them, without outside help.
A-2: He does not know the plot.
A-3: He knows the plot and wants to use it to set up his future.
A-4: He does not know the plot but like so many wants to get a harem with as many girls as possible. Elves, humans, and all of them.
A-5: as above, only knows the plot and wants to use it to score as much with the villainess and Heroine.
B-1: Reincarnate him, we want to enjoy a frustrated pervert. Just keep him away from the MCs
B-2: He is a noble, he will meet them at school.
B-3: He is actually a capture target.
B-4: It's worse, he is the one the Villainess is engaged to, and main capture target for the Heroine.
C-1: Make him a regular to loosen up the plot.
C-2: Keep him to side stories as you planned to.
C-3: You can always let him die if he gets too annoying.
C-4: Why are we voting on some idiot? We need more plot!
C-5: Make it funny, make it important, I don't care, just write more.

Powergamer or not?
  • A-1: Not Interested Votes: 50 35.2%
  • A-2: He does not know the plot. Votes: 25 17.6%
  • A-3: He knows the plot and wants to use it to set up his future. Votes: 5 3.5%
  • A-4: He does not know the plot, wants harem. Votes: 29 20.4%
  • A-5: As above, knows the plot and wants to use it to score as much with the Villainess and Heroine Votes: 23 16.2%
  • B-1: Reincarnate him, we want to enjoy a frustrated pervert. Just keep him away from the MCs. Votes: 48 33.8%
  • B-2: He is a noble, he will meet them at school. Votes: 27 19.0%
  • B-3: He is actually a capture target. Votes: 6 4.2%
  • B-4: It's worse, he is the one the Villainess is engaged to, and main capture target for the Heroine Votes: 23 16.2%
  • C-1: Make him a regular to loosen up the plot. Votes: 10 7.0%
  • C-2: Keep him to side stories as you planned to. Votes: 30 21.1%
  • C-3: You can always let him die if he gets too annoying. Votes: 61 43.0%
  • C-4: Why are we voting on some idiot? We need more plot! Votes: 27 19.0%
  • C-5: Make it funny, make it important, I don't care, just write more. Votes: 14 9.9%
Total voters: 142 · This poll was closed on Jun 11, 2020 02:39 AM.
81