89TH GEAR – THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY BEEPS
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

89TH GEAR - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY BEEPS

It came as a surprise for both Flu and me when Vincent was able to throw a teleporter sword toward the 2nd Checkpoint Tower. It was the very first time he did that, and now we can safely say that Vincent has a really good arm for throwing.

“Speed Battles are not only a contest of speed. It is a contest of tactics. As a navigator, you already know that, of course.” Justine said with his head held up high.

I did not react, mainly because it is just the start of the Speed Battle and we still have a lot of opportunities to show what we have learned and trained. I just focused my gaze on the Triangle as the pink contrail streak rushes towards the 2nd Checkpoint Tower!

Vincent had already covered 10% of the distance towards the 3rd Checkpoint Tower when Flu managed to tap the 2nd.

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia, at 1:1!

Right after scoring a point, Flu moved her arm in a circular motion, her fingers coated with pink glittery mana. A thick cylindrical magical circle manifested with the same magical formula as a Stardust Trampoline.

“Coach! Is this angle okay?” Flu asked me.

“Yes! Now go race Vincent towards the 3rd Checkpoint Tower!” I said.

“Roger!” Flu boosted forward once again with her Stardust Accel Exceed, trying to catch up with the Ex-Speedmage Champion.

I briefly looked at the opposing navigator who just erased his smile. He must be wondering why Flu created a thick Stardust Trampoline right next to the 2nd Checkpoint Tower. He may also be wondering why a Counter Speedmage like Flu is trying to beat a Speedster Speedmage like Vincent in a drag race. Normally, a Counter should be shifting her playstyle to a Striker to score some points against a Speedster.

I just sneered at him and then continued focusing on the match.

Just like before, Flu overtook the lead with her Stardust Accel Exceed. And also the same as before, Vincent threw his magical sword straight to the 3rd Checkpoint Tower and teleported towards it!

Beep!

Point for Vincent, at 1:2!

Flu continued to soar through and tapped the same Checkpoint Tower!

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia, at 2:2!

On the 3rd Checkpoint Tower, Flu once again created a cylindrical Stardust Trampoline, and then she went back to the race with her Stardust Accel Exceed. Using Exceed is necessary to catch up with Vincent as there is a considerable delay in time whenever Flu is stopping and creating those thick Stardust Trampolines.

Vincent is just in the lead for one second because of his immediate throwing response and teleportation. But Flu is just one step behind. Vincent glanced at his side and saw the smiling Fluonessia. He might be wondering why Flu is not trying to strike his back even though she had several chances already.

“Heh. What are you planning, Miss Fluonessia?” Vincent asked, now curious. “Why don’t you strike my back?”

“Flu, don’t fall on his provocations! Stick to our plan!” I immediately said through the mic.

“Don’t worry, Coach! This may be a little bit boring, but I got this!” Flu said with a smile.

“Eeeeh? Not taking the bait, aren’t you?” Vincent teased.

“Please wait until we tapped all the Checkpoint Towers, Mister Vincent! I will show you something really awesome!” Flu excitedly laughed.

Vincent also noticed that Flu never used the Stardust Trampolines she created next to the Checkpoint Towers. He would understand if it was the same teleporter sword that Flu left in those towers, but it is not. Those are just Stardust Trampolines that are used for jumping and not for teleporting.

“You had my curiosity. But now you have my whole undivided attention.” Vincent chuckled and then threw his sword towards the 1st Checkpoint Tower. By making a ninja hand seal, he teleported towards the same tower and tapped it!

Beep!

Point for Vincent, at 2:3!

Vincent raised his hand with the same ninja hand seal and smirked. “Now show me how you will be able to counter this! Omnitouch!”

Vincent teleported to the 2nd Checkpoint Tower and touched it!

Beep!

Point for Vincent, at 2:4!

Flu replied with a determined and excited smile. We have been expecting him to be doing this as teleporting all around is the standard playstyle of Vincent the Teleporter. But my Speedmage remained focused until she touched the 1st Checkpoint Tower.

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia, at 3:4!

Flu has created another thick Stardust Trampoline, and then she completely stopped her accel spell. She stood still, closed her eyes, and inhaled softly.

“Chain Trampoline: Omnitouch.”

As soon as Flu opened her eyes, she used Rocket Jump on the cylindrical Stardust Trampoline, and then used Phoenix Arrow as she was launched like a ballistic missile upward! She made a huge leap of 500 meters, enough to reach the 2nd Checkpoint Tower in no time!

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia, at 4:4!

Flu landed right towards the cylindrical Stardust Trampoline she set up earlier, and then made another jump with a Phoenix Arrow aiming for the next Checkpoint Tower!

Meanwhile, Vincent has already been racking up points for teleporting from Checkpoint Towers to Checkpoint Towers

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Points for Vincent, at 4:8!

Flu did the same as she jumped from one Checkpoint Tower to another Checkpoint Tower!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Points for Fluonessia, at 7:8!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Vincent teleported, and then scored, and then vanished!

Points for Vincent, at, 7:12!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Flu landed on a Stardust Trampoline, tapped the checkpoint, and then jumped over and over again!

Points for Fluonessia, at 10:12!

It is clear from this fight that teleporting is way superior to jumping speed. Flu may be extremely fast at soaring up in the skies like a ballistic flaming arrow, but there is nothing she can do about instantaneous travel like Vincent!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

The Checkpoint Towers rang in a rhythm like a phone ringtone.

Points for Vincent in the lead at 10:17!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Flu continued to score more Checkpoint Towers, but it is clear that she is far inferior in terms of racking up points. The score is now 13:17, and Vincent is getting the lead slowly and surely!

Vincent smirked while appearing and disappearing through the three Checkpoint Towers and struck up a conversation.

“Miss Fluonessia Asahime… Can you keep up with me?”

Flu’s sweat dripped. She was already exerting a lot of mana by doing Phoenix Arrows whenever she jumps, but it is not enough to top the speed of teleportation. However, the pink Speedmage gave a determined smile against her impossible opponent. And then with a swift breath, she screamed!

“Stardust Trampoline, Gear Shift!”

All Stardust Trampolines she was jumping through glowed, and the pink glitters intensified. Those trampoline spells have been fully activated, and now it is no longer duplicating her jump speed- It is now triplicating and in exponential growth!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Points for Fluonessia, now a draw at 17:17!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Points for Vincent, now at 17:21!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Points for Fluonessia, now in the lead at 24:21!

Flu has finally overtaken Vincent's teleporting speed!

“Right back at you!” Fluonessia roared with full force! “You’re the one who’s gonna keep up with me!”

Sparkling pink contrails started to engulf the whole Triangle. There is now a straight line of pink streak that connects from one Checkpoint Tower to another Checkpoint Tower. Now that Flu has surpassed the instantaneous speed of teleportation and she has broken through the light barrier, we could no longer see her except her trail’s afterimages.

She is now technically omnipresent between the three Checkpoint Towers.

Beep! Beeep! Beeeeeep! Beeeeeeeeeeeep!

Flu continues to touch the Checkpoint Towers and the beeps seemed to be a whole new screeching sound altogether. It is almost like a long beep, and I now pity the officials for tracking down the score.

The Speedmages continue to rack up points without a care in the world!

Points for Fluonessia, now at 56:32!

Points for Vincent, now at 73:49!

Points for Fluonessia, now at 125:82!

“Big bro!” Justine screamed out loud with nervousness in his voice. “It may be hard to swallow right now, but you have no chance of beating Fluonessia Asahime in terms of speed! We have no choice but to switch to another playstyle!”

“I know!” Vincent groaned.

The Ex-Speedmage Champion stopped teleporting on the 2nd Checkpoint Tower. He did not even tap it to score in this instance. Instead, he spread out his hand to intercept the pink glittery contrails jumping around the Stardust Trampolines!

Bzzzt!

“Kyah!” Flu cried as she was launched away due to the repelling force of the magical barriers.

Finally, Flu was prevented from scoring for the last time, and she spun around near the center of the Triangle. Because of the interruption, she got extremely dizzy and her eyes were twirling round and round while she waltzed like a drunken zombie!

“Awawawawawa!” Flu cried.

Meanwhile, Vincent is at the center, giving an intense scary staredown at Flu. His blue eyes glinted, and his smile was gone. He is now gritting his teeth out of pure anger and hatred.

“You may be faster than my teleportation, but it is useless if your path is predictable. You are the one who showed me that back when you first struck my back. I am just returning the favor.” Vincent said with grit.

The atmosphere became grim, and the skies went dark. Vincent’s magical energy must have been so powerful that he can even affect the weather like this. I noticed that he is gathering mana on his chest at an astounding rate, and now I know what he is about to do.

Vincent angrily stomped the soil, and reality shattered!

Millions of swords invaded the landscape as all people witnessing this Speed Battle became trapped in his Alternate Reality Magic!

“This is my Land of Swords!” Vincent shouted out loud as he punched his chest. “I will be going all out against you, Fluonessia Asahime!”

2