92ND GEAR – FIRST THERE WAS ONE, THEN IT WAS CHAOS
45 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

92ND GEAR - FIRST THERE WAS ONE, THEN IT WAS CHAOS

Flu’s eyes sparkled as soon as she heard the phrase “Joint Training with the Eaglecrest Guild.” Memories of our past collaboration with the other Speedmage Guilds of the Saint Crusade Academy flashed right into her eyes. She made a double energetic fist pump, and her cute face gave a wide smile.

“A-Another Joint Training Camp?” Stars twinkled on Flu’s blue irises. “That is so awesome!?”

“Isn’t that right?” President Levi smiled with perfect white teeth.

Having Flu practice among the elites of the Saint Crusade Academy will be a great opportunity. Flu’s growth is entirely dependent on the Speedmages she often has a spar with, and that is just usually Ericka and Cruzo. By having more training partners, we could widen the horizon and minimize the use of image training or shadow running. Flu will also be able to learn a lot in terms of countering every kind of Speedmages.

“So, what is your decision, coach of the Merry Knights?” President Levi asked.

“We’ll join,” I said with a smile. There's no reason to refuse.

“Hey! It’s not your place to decide!” Ericka burst out loud.

“B-But I’m the coach,” I muttered.

“I am the President!” Ericka stood tall and put her hands on her waist.

Is it because of Merry Knights' pride again? I swear to the gods, our Useless Prez will never get along with any of the other Speedmage Guilds. We will never get along at this rate, so I decided to concede.

“Haaah…” I sighed out loud “Fine, it’s your call, Useless Prez.”

Levi slightly shook his head with a disappointed smile. He even shrugged his shoulders. Ericka stepped forward and went just right in between me and President Levi. She crossed her arms and gave a smile.

“We’ll join,” Ericka said.

“That’s what I said the first time!” I cried.

“But on one condition!” Ericka raised her index finger, completely ignoring my remark.

“What is it?” President Levi asked.

“Fluonessia’s practice session shall still be here in the Merry Knights Training Grounds, so that just means we will borrow some of your equipment whenever the Joint Training is in session.”

“Isn’t that a little too one-sided?” President Levi frowned. “We’re just basically helping you out, and you wanted more?”

“But you will share Fluonessia Asahime’s glory in the National Speedmage Tournament,” Ericka said.

Sweat ran down my neck. The intensity of these negotiations has surely reached its peak, and now they are just treating my adorable girlfriend like an asset and not a person. Well, I can see where both presidents are going since they want the best interests of their respective guilds.

“Fine.”

President Levi sighed and then finally projected back his smile. He lent out his hand, ready for a handshake with our useless president.

“Let’s have an Eaglecrest x Merry Knights Collaboration.”

“No!” Ericka protested. “Merry Knights x Eaglecrest Collaboration!”

“Is there a difference?” I cringed.

“Big difference! Merry Knights should be mentioned first since the core of this joint training is the star player of Merry Knights!” Ericka said.

“Whatever, you call it what you want.” President Levi said.

As Ericka was about to reach for President Levi’s hand, the front door opened! Three female students with Cool Escape armbands entered our lobby, and made their presence! I have seen them before already, and in fact, they are there yesterday during the Speed Battle against Vincent!

“The Three Speedmage Captains of Cool Escape!” Flu squealed.

“Hello, Fluonessia.” Captain Tezza waved her hand. Beside the dark-skinned semi-bald captain was the beautiful but always in disdain Captain Haruka, and the one other final Cool Escape that I have never encountered.

“Hello, Flu!” The 3rd Cool Escape Captain waved her hand at the pink-haired Speedmage. This 3rd Speedmage Captain is a white short girl with black hair reaching her shoulders. She has brown eyes and has almost the same bubbly vibe as Fluonessia.

“Captain Liri!” Flu hopped with joy and then they both joined hands. I guess my girlfriend is best friends with everybody.

“Who is she?” I asked Flu.

“It’s Captain Liri Fontaine of the Cool Escape Guild! She taught me a lot during our last joint training camp before the Regional Tournament! And she will also be representing the Saint Crusade these upcoming Nationals!” Flu energetically answered.

“Hello, Coach of the Merry Knights!” Captain Liri waved her hand at me.

I also returned the gesture as I process inside my mind who the hell Liri Fontaine is. Sure I have met her in the Joint Training Camp, but only her face is familiar to me. I thought she was unimportant in my life, so I forgot her almost immediately when the joint training camp ended.

But there is something about Liri that has the same vibe as Flu. Liri Fontaine was able to score 3rd Place for the Regionals. Flu was only the 4th place, but we all know that her average score was brought down when we fought Lilith Nightshade. There is no doubt in my mind that if only we managed to score at least two in the Semifinals, Flu may have beaten Liri in the 3rd Place.

“Jeez, your boyfriend has already forgotten me.” Liri pouted as soon as she realized that I’m thinking too hard just to remember her.

“Tahahaha! That is just classic Jonathan.” Flu said as she embarrassingly scratched her head.

“Y-Yeah, I barely remember you,” I said to Liri with a forced smile.

“So, which one are you, Coach Wardenorth? Ignorant or apathetic?” Liri asked as she teasingly smiled.

“I don’t know, and I don’t care,” I said.

Talking with Liri is like talking with Flu, except that Flu is less annoying and much more beautiful. I feel like we will just talk in circles so I decided to jump on the main topic and shifted my gaze to Captain Tezza.

“What is with this surprise visit?” I asked.

“We have a proposal with you two. Oh, of course, we needed to ask permission from President Ericka first.” Captain Tezza answered with a smile.

“Huh?” Ericka tilted her head. She left President Levi hanging with a handshake and then approached Captain Tezza. “What do you want?”

“We are here to propose a collaboration training between Merry Knights and Cool Escape Guild!” Captain Tezza proclaimed.

“Huh?”

Ericka muttered with her eyes wide open and jaws hanging. Normally, being awestruck is Flu’s job, but all of the members of the Merry Knights Guild are now giving the same shocked facial expression. Even the Eaglecrest President and his underlings are having the same astounded face as if we all have seen a ghost.

Captain Tezza ignored all our remarks and continued to talk.

“Since Fluonessia Asahime will be participating in the nationals, it will be a great idea to join up so that our ace Captain Liri can also learn from you all!”

All of us did not utter a word. Cool Escape Guild had a better relationship with Merry Knights, and their claims on training Flu and Liri for the National Speedmage Tournament is a good plan. However, the Eaglecrest Guild has better equipment and better quality Speedmages for Flu to spar with. Ericka is stuck on a pinch here.

What Speedmage Guild should she sign a contract with?

“Hey, listen, Flu! The Cool Escape Speedmages would want to do Speed Battles with you! They saw how you defeated Vincent the Teleporter yesterday, and they are planning on lining up to beat you! All 128 of our Speedmages!”

“Awesome!” Flu pumped her fists. “We will accept!”

“Hey, hey! We gave our offer first!” President Levi protested. “Are you just going to ignore our proposal and throw away Vincent’s last wish?”

Last wish? He sounded like Vincent is dead, though I get his point.

“Ah! I’m so sorry President Levi!” Flu bowed. “But having a Speed Battle against a hundred Speedmages sounds fun!”

“That’s not fun. You’d die.” I muttered to myself.

“How about this: You can do Speed Battles with all 32 of our finest quality Speedmages from the Eaglecrest Guild! Some of them are professional Speedmages with licenses, by the way.” Levi smirked.

“Ooooh! That’s awesome!” Flu pumped her fists. Then she apologetically bowed to Captain Tezza. “I-I’m so sorry, Captain Tezza! I want to fight professional Speedmages too!”

“Wait, you change your mind too often.” I tapped Flu’s shoulder.

Flu was shocked to hear my words, and it awakened her to reality. Her glance shifted from Captain Tezza to President Levi, then to Captain Tezza, and then to President Levi again. Her puppy blue eyes are about to unleash tears, and she is crying internally.

“Hnnnnnnnnnnnnngh!”

Flu immediately raised her hands with full energy. She is like a collapsing star with a sudden big bang of a solution!

“How about we just go for an academy-wide Joint Training Camp already!”

“…”

“…”

“…”

Everybody was silent. They all had this poker face as if they are in deep thought about Flu’s suggestion. Seconds go by, and nobody uttered a word. It is starting to get awkward, so I decided to step up and strike an answer.

“You know, that’s a good idea,” I muttered.

“Right, right?” Flu pumped her fists and pushed her face toward mine. “Everyone will be happy if we all practice together!”

Ericka crossed her arms and smiled. “Our star player has made up her mind. Any objections about it?”

President Levi relaxed his shoulders. “None. It may be a little bit disgusting to have more lowlifes in practice with, but I figured this is just like any other annual joint training camp we participated in together.”

“Two joint training camps in one single year! This is the first!” Captain Liri pumped her fists.

“Aaaah, fine. Do whatever you want.” Captain Haruka said.

“That is decided then!” Flu raised her fists in the air! “We will conduct a joint training camp once again! And let me fight all 128 Cool Escape Speedmages and 32 Eaglecrest Speedmages! Line them up and bring it on!”

“Flu, chill down!” I cried. She possibly does not mean this stupid thing!

However, she did not care as she started flailing her arms overhead and running around like an idiot!

“I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so excited! Kyaaaaaaaah! This is awesooooome!”

2