Part 30
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her feet stopped in front of the dresser, and Addison stared down at the flower as she tried to catch her breath. Her chest felt heavy from the antics she was trying to pull, and it was made worse by not knowing what was coming next.

As if I ever do, she thought in an effort to calm herself down.

At the moment, she needed to make her hand move, but both arms were numb. She stared at the violet flower with the tiny thorn somewhere on the stem and heard Lori's voice. It was a silly sentiment — a single moment of someone who hated her being kind, but it was hard to get the sound out of her ear. The herbalist was the first person who she wasn't bound to who had chosen to have half a conversation and be kind about it.

At least, the first person in a long time, not counting the wandering fey who took enough interest to play for a few minutes. Her childhood had been strange, and now she was giving the gift to Mathilda, who would crush it and ruin it. It stung, even though the thing would eventually die anyway. There wasn't a choice.

Addison reached out, carefully tapping to make sure she wasn't pricking herself again before wrapping her fingers around the stem. She could go anywhere she wanted, soon enough. Flower back in hand, she trekked back down the hall once again and set the slender thing down in front of Mathilda. "I don't know what kind it is, though."

"How am I supposed to use it then?"

Addison froze. It was, unfortunately, an excellent question. She shrugged her shoulders rather than trying to come up with another answer she didn't have. All of her actions felt alien -- like she was sitting on her shoulder just watching someone else make decisions for her and speak using her voice. "You know your own spells, Matilda. I figured you would be able to figure out a use for it. If you don't want it, though, I can go take back."

Except for that, which she wouldn't argue with at all. She would have no problem taking the flower out of the witch's gnarled hands.

Mathilda sighed loudly. "You are acting bizarre today, girl. Talking back, being vague, appearing where you shouldn't be. Whatever you're up to will show eventually, and I suspect I won't like it." She stood, taking the flower with her, and placed it on the mantle. "You still haven't told me why you're really here."

Addison opened her mouth, then shut it again. Deeper than the deal was another layer of truth.

She didn't really know why the Fairie Queen had made the deal or sent her to Earth. They were questions that would need answering, but not at that moment, and not with another person who was all too happy to use her. "I did tell you.." She shrugged her shoulders again, feeling the image of an impatient teenager very much but enjoying more than she wanted to admit. "You seem to be having a rough day."

Mathilda turned around after her hands were free and crossed her arms over her chest. "Am I?"

Addison leaned back in her chair. "Sorry," she said, although half-heartedly. "I need to know if I can stay here for a minute, though, as I can't exactly portal myself back to the other realms."

"You don't have the power."

"I don't have the power," she repeated. She didn't know the spell, didn't have the magic, didn't have anything or know anything that would open up the ground and fling her across dimensions so she could be somewhere, anywhere else. Her guess was that she didn't have those things for a reason, but she hadn't broached the subject with any of her guardians for a while.

She definitely hadn't asked since the queen had told her she would be free soon. But if she had to choose just one realm, she assumed they may never give her those types of powers.

Unless she chose hell. Then she'd probably have to go up and make deals and other degrading errands.

"So?" Addison asked when the witch still hadn't answered her question.

"So?" Mathilda mocked as she leaned against the table.

"Can I stay?"

"You'll have to go get us supplies."

of course, Addison thought. Of course, the first thing I will have to do is your shopping.

She would, however, and she knew that going back into town may actually be worthwhile this time around.

1