Chapter 19: Perspective
150 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: Perspective

Wednesday, March 29th, 7:20 AM

Twin Lakes District

Santa Cruz, CA

That’s one hell of a change for a single night.” Mike scratched his head after slowing to stare at the tide pools.

Magic bullshit…” Joe shook his head in disbelief.

[Mommy changed many things.] [You will see.] Sunny and Sandy ran a short distance ahead to beckon Joe and his crowd closer with tails matching their excitement.

[Faster, humans.] [Time for a walk!]

We are walking.” Joe chuckled.

[Humans are slow.] [But humans are good.] [Good humans!]

Joe grinned back at Rihelah when he heard her giggling, and noticed the crowd smiling at the pups. Then his eyes were drawn to two sneering faces who regarded Sunny and Sandy with naked contempt. One was Natalie, but the didn’t know the other woman’s name.

Dad always said, “never trust anyone who hates dogs.” Joe suppressed a frown.

Sonofabitch, Schimpf. This Ciara is working her ass off.” Mike tugged on Joe’s shirt sleeve and gestured at the parking lot.

Where three glass panels had been the day before, there were dozens—neatly arranged in a grid-like pattern. Joe and Mike took a detour to have a closer look.

[Where humans going?] [Food inside!]

Are you kiddin’ me?” Joe turned to Mike as a kaleidoscope of blurred color greeted their eyes from below.

Let’s go.” Mike grinned. They trotted to the entrance.

[Yes, human.] [Follow Sunny.] [Follow Sandy too!]

Magic lights. What’s next, cold fusion?” Joe exclaimed as they stopped in the entrance to ogle the crystalline fixtures hanging from the Crow’s Nest ceiling.

You ever seen lights like those?” Mike shook his head while they passed below the lights and stepped down the ramp behind the dogs.

When they reached the bottom, Joe felt his knees go weak. “Master Guns… this Ciara just created—”

A whole damned orchard overnight.” Mike finished for him as Sunny and Sandy frolicked through the grass between the rows of trees.

Rihelah dragged Michael further into the orchard.

Should’ve brought everyone with us. This is crazy,” Michael exclaimed.

Get your bags out, everyone! Bathrooms to either side,” Rihelah hollered. “It’s harvest time!”

The group erupted with cheers, and some cried tears of joy as they beheld the scene.

After exploring for a bit, Joe discovered there were proper bathrooms with private access tunnels. Each had a light fixture, and those turned on somehow when Joe entered. There weren’t any sinks, and the “toilets” looked like nothing more than open pits. But they were spotless and had proper seats shaped out of stone, even if they couldn’t be lifted.

Looks like those girls weren’t kidding. This Dungeon might’ve been human before the war.

Joe made his way into the orchard. He was busy picking peaches when Siobhán tapped his arm.

Hm?” He looked down at her. She smiled and beckoned him closer with a finger.

What?” Joe looked askance at Siobhán, trying to stay focused on the task at hand.

Would you just—” She grabbed his arm and pulled, surprising Joe with her strength. She managed to bring him a bit off-balance despite their size difference.

Ciara says there’ll be more variety tomorrow,” she whispered before he righted himself.

Oh, really?” He brightened up.

Siobhán glared at him and stomped off.

Joe shook his head.

You don’t have to be mean to that girl.” Mike slugged Joe in the shoulder.

I know.” Joe sighed, then locked eyes with Mike and raised his eyebrows. “Killarney’s pretty, but there’s no time for that. I need to find a way to bring Anna back.”

You really think you can? Raising the dead? Fuckin’ hell, Schimpf… Well, if you manage to pull it off, you’d better let me know.” Mike raised his eyebrows.

You’ll be the first one to hear. I remember how hard you and Michael took it when Brooke passed.”

Yeah. Been a long time.” Mike sighed. His mouth tightened as he glanced at his son and Rihelah, then stared at the sunlight as it shone down through the translucent panels. “Who knows? But let’s not get our hopes up before we know what’s possible.”

I can heal the dying. It doesn’t seem like that big a stretch, if you ask me,” Joe pointed out.

Yeah, we need to ask that Lord Auronox of yours, since it seems that’s who’s handing out the blessings and all.”

That’s fair, but I’m not giving up on her, Master Guns. Not while I have hope.” Joe felt something squish before wetness trickled through his hand, and he realized he’d crushed a peach. The pit glanced off his boot.

Shit.

Not wanting to waste it, he quickly stuffed the remains of the fruit into his mouth.


Siobhán felt numbness in her face. He’s trying to resurrect his wife? I see… Is that even possible?

A pang of discomfort stabbed Siobhán’s chest as she climbed the ramp to the surface and ambled along the beach to sit near the tide pools.

[Come to my basement, Soybean. There’s someone you should meet.] She heard Ciara’s voice.

With a sigh, Siobhán nodded. “’Kay.”

She trudged over the streets, frowning at the scorched asphalt coated by a thin layer of ash. Siobhán’s footsteps down to the basement felt heavy, and she sniffled as she considered Joe’s predicament.

[I heard, Soybean, and I’m sorry. Oh, Joy’s on her way, and Rihelah’s bringing her boyfriend. Wait in the living room, and they’ll be along shortly.]

Okay…” Sio wiped her eyes, then hugged her abdomen and fell sideways onto the couch.


It hurt seeing my Soybean looking sad, but there wasn’t much I could do about it.

[Why do we need to include Joe?]

Since he was not summoned and I am pressed for time, we can skip that for today, but Joe is another blessed by our Lord. It would be wise for you to ally with him.” Sven waved a scaly hand.

[I see. I suppose I have no choice but to trust you, oh, Winged Serpent.]

You would do well to heed my words, Incorrigible Ditch.” Sven grinned.

[They’re gathered and informed.]

Sven nodded, then teleported his visage to the testing room off my basement, appearing at a size that allowed his wings to stretch across the entire cavern.

For the first time since I’d known him, Sven landed on all four feet in front of the humans.


Holy shit,” Michael whispered, his eyes goggling at the imposing creature.

The explanation given earlier by Rihelah and Siobhán did no justice to the luminous, ethereal being who stood before them. Even the girls who were residents of the Dungeon appeared stunned.

I greet you, humans of Earth. I am Sven—a humble servant of Lord Auronox.” Sven’s deep, monstrous voice made Joe’s sound normal.

Uh, Professor, you said he was small.” Rihelah ducked behind Michael and grabbed his waist, then peered over his shoulder.

I often appear like this,” Sven said as he shrank to the size of a parrot, winked, then filled the cavern again. “My true body cannot fit in such a small space, but that isn’t important. I come with tidings, but first—Ciara has informed me that you four desire the power to protect others?” Sven hovered before them.

I do.” Michael stood up tall.

M-me too,” Rihelah echoed as she stepped meekly from behind him. She seized Michael’s hand, and he felt her shaking.

Yes.” Joy raised her arm.

Siobhán sniffled and nodded.

Michael glanced at Rihelah.

I’ll protect her, whatever it takes.

Splendid. Before we begin, you should know that Lord Auronox does not wish for his servants to possess hearts that are purely good or evil, but a balance between these two.

Sven held up one clawed hand and then another. “Predator and prey. Joyous laughter and bitter tears. Saviors and tyrants. Nothing can be appreciated without its antithesis. A world lacking struggle and motion withers and grows stagnant.”

Joy and Siobhán shared a glance, with furrowed brows.

The first Universe was forged as a utopia, where evil and strife were denied existence. All who lived through that time descended into madness from boredom, and thus, evil found a way despite that design.”

Siobhán took a deep breath when Sven paused. Her eyes shone in the fiery light from Sven’s body, but by the time she tried to speak, Sven was already talking—directly at her.

None are so righteous and benevolent as they prefer to believe. All creatures in the Universe desire something. Each is willing to pay a price or make others pay in their stead, for the sake of that desire. Give and take, push and pull, hunter and hunted—these things sow moments of discord and harmony. They allow the living to thrive. True balance provides us time to think, motivation for action, and the opportunity to improve.

Joy muttered something, scratching her head.

Siobhán shut her mouth and rubbed her chin. Rihelah nodded at Michael. He shrugged his grudging agreement.

Do you trust one another and Dungeon Ciara?” Sven’s words crashed into them.

Yes.” Siobhán, Rihelah, and Joy replied in unison. The three took a step back.

Michael squeezed Rihelah’s hand. “I trust Rihelah. She trusts Ciara, and that’s good enough for me.”

Sven nodded gravely.

Do you vow to seek balance in yourselves and by your actions throughout the Universe, in the name of Lord Auronox?” Sven stared at all of them. The drake’s words felt heavy, and Michael knew somehow that his answer would become binding. He locked eyes with Rihelah and they nodded together.

I do,” Michael and Rihelah said in unison.

Me too.” Joy nodded.

Yeah.” Siobhán frowned thoughtfully.

Sven glowed brighter for a moment, and Michael’s breath caught when a flash of warmth washed over him.

There is no lie in your hearts.” Sven smiled. “So be it. Prepare yourselves. Your world has become swept up in a conflict fraught with peril and opportunity.” Sven looked pointedly at each of them while speaking those words.

Another voice spoke into Michael’s mind, deep and authoritative but different from Sven’s. It sounded familiar.

<Dungeon Ciara has offered you the honor of becoming a resident. Do you accept?>

<Lord Auronox has granted you the distinguished honor of bearing His Mark. Do you accept?>

Yes.

Michael felt energy surge through his body as he glowed with the shade of blue they’d seen from Joe’s neighborhood. Michael’s limbs felt lighter and his vision clearer, as all his senses sharpened.

The other three shone with the same light.

It happened again? I was already a resident. What does it mean to bear a Mark of Auronox?” Rihelah asked.

I got that, too,” Michael added.

Siobhán and Joy looked puzzled.

Sven’s scaly eyebrows shot up and his eyes darted between Rihelah and Michael, but his voice was calm. “His Mark is… a tremendous honor. It—” Sven stopped as his eyes focused elsewhere for a moment.

I hear and obey. Our Lord will reveal its significance to you, in His own time.”

Rihelah shrugged and nodded, then beamed at Michael and wrapped him in a warm hug as the pair continued glowing long after Siobhán and Joy had returned to normal.

My eyes.” Joy stammered.

What is it, Joy?” Siobhán asked.

My vision… is clear.” Joy covered her mouth and cried.

Becoming a resident removes ailments to your health, so long as you remain in the service of your Dungeon.”

Are you serious?” Rihelah stiffened in Michael’s arms.

Indeed. Now,” Sven addressed them.

Stepping in front of Michael while facing Sven, Rihelah leaned back against Michael as her fingers intertwined with his. A familiar longing reared its head, but Michael put that out of his mind.

Know this—His law is the pursuit of balance in all things.” Sven glanced at everyone.

Idealism can become a blessing or a curse. Balance your values with understanding. Calm your feelings with temperance. A champion of the people may become a tyrant. The worst criminal can learn to love. All things are possible in our Universe. Above all, the capacity to think critically and question your assumptions is essential.”

[So saith Svenny-poo, and so it is written.] A voice Michael hadn’t heard before chuckled.

Indeed,” Sven rolled his eyes.

Who said that?” Michael asked.

That’s Professor O’Connor!” Rihelah grinned.

Ah, it’s nice to meet you, Professor.” Michael rubbed his hair, feeling overwhelmed.

[Likewise, Michael.] The Dungeon’s voice was pleasant.

Sven said, “Now, I ask that you all listen closely because this is important.

The drake’s eyes glowed like fire as he continued.

I was sent here, and Ciara was made into a Dungeon to protect this world. Another Dragon has asked that this world be made available as food, and—”

[What?] The Dungeon cut Sven off.

Discomfort settled in Michael’s gut as he considered the gravity of what had been said.

Under Draconic Law, an unclaimed low-grade planet may be consumed, so long as there is no opposition. The practice is barbaric and frowned upon, but not unheard of. A young Dragon seeks your planet as sustenance, but Lord Auronox has acted in your defense.”

Michael felt a pit in his stomach as his body tensed. This has to be bullshit. No living thing could eat a planet

He tried to focus on Rihelah’s comforting presence, then noticed the other three had gone stiff as well.

For an F-grade body like Earth, a predetermined force for each faction is gathered from among the world’s existing creatures. I’m sorry to say if you lose against whatever opposing force has been formed, your planet will be consumed.” Sven frowned.

[You could have told me sooner, you knobby lump of lizard scat!] The Dungeon sounded pissed.

All Michael could do was stare at Sven as he fought to steady his breathing.

You would do well to appreciate the help that I offer, young Dungeon.” Sven’s voice shook the cavern.

[You would do well to inform me when the whole world is in danger! I could have moved faster. I—]

You would have made more mistakes.” Sven cut her off. “You’re still discovering yourself, child. Beware—if you grow rash and impatient, or if you fail to act, you will doom this world. Seek balance.

[You could have told me,] The Dungeon hissed quietly.

Sven shrugged. “You didn’t have these humans to keep you grounded.”

[Fine. What are we fighting against?] The Dungeon’s voice still held an edge.

A veil is enforced to prevent each Dragon from scrying their opponent’s forces. As such, I have no idea.”

[So, we’re flying blind, and there’s a hidden, magical enemy somewhere seeking to destroy us all.]

Sven nodded. “That’s an apt description. But you have a chance for survival, so long as you work for it.”

Are you serious?” Michael couldn’t keep quiet any longer.

I am deadly serious, young Michael.” Sven locked eyes with him.

So, uh… how do we get stronger?” Joy asked, timidly.

Sven replied, “Sapient beings like humans gain power by working hard in the presence of mana. The Voice of the World will offer individual advancement when the time is right.”

That’s a little vague.” Joy frowned.

Sven said, “You can also advance by helping your Dungeon to grow and thrive. With each new floor Ciara creates, your strength will increase. It’s the same for all residents.”

Sven came closer.

But most of all, you must encourage mundane humans to train inside the Dungeon. Through harvesting its resources and battling its minions, they will come to understand and make use of mana, allowing them to ascend through the Ranks. With their help, you can prevail. Without them, you will fail. Help to guide them as you learn for yourselves alongside Ciara.”

Remember, balance in all things. Farewell for now.” Sven disappeared.

Hey! What about Joe’s…” Siobhán yelled at the empty space where Sven had been. Her voice wavered a bit.

Siobhán frowned as her eyes glistened.

Michael furrowed his brow, trying to process everything.

Professor, is all of this real?” Rihelah asked.

[From everything I’ve seen, it’s probably true. It means that if we don’t follow Sven’s advice, everyone will die.]

 

Minions: 100/100

Residents: 10/10

Denizens: 9411

Traps: 1/5

4