Chapter 21: Friction
149 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: Friction

Wednesday, March 29th, 8:02 AM

Dungeon Ciara

An enemy who attacks is wrong.

But an ally who betrays is evil.”

-- Musings of JS—a survivor.


Right, so here’s the deal. You four screwed up bad. You rolled in here, shot at the dogs, then shot at us.” Joe loomed over the four who were still bound together with the corpse of their comrade, casting a shadow across them as he stood with the morning sun at his back.

Master Guns here thinks we should cut you loose and let you explain.” Joe jabbed his thumb toward Mike.

He bent to bring his face closer, and said softly, I… would rather leave you here—give you some time to think. Maybe a couple of days, so you can reflect on what you’ve done. I’m sure the dogs wouldn’t mind keeping you hydrated.”

One of the men groaned, but Joe saw that he didn’t move his lips.

The silk is cutting into their flesh. This Dungeon

Oh, I’m curious,” Joe began, remembering the makeshift bomb as he picked it up. He showed a forced smile as he held the device in front of them. “Which of you Einsteins put this trash together? You know this is det cord, right?

Joe indicated the extra “fuse” they’d attached. “Did you know that det cord burns along its length at around four to five miles per second?

He pointed to the spot where the detonation cord was attached. “Oh, look what we have, here! The det cord is touching right where the fuses enter the explosives, the whole fucking way around! That means, if you’d lit this shit off, it would have exploded instantly—right in your faces. You’d all be a cloud of red mist above a steaming mound of ground round.”

Joe chuckled, then continued, “You four are lucky the Dungeon attacked you when it did. Getting hog-tied by that swarm of bugs saved your dumb, sorry asses.”

Joe pulled the detonation cord free from the makeshift bomb and tossed them both to Mike.

He circled their captives while taking out his tactical knife to make a cut along the outside of his left forearm, letting it bleed and showing it to each of them as he walked. Fear shone in their eyes as they stared at what Joe had done to himself.

Joe said, “I could help you, you know? I can heal wounds and stop the injured from dying.”

He healed the wound on his arm and continued to walk, pointing it out as he passed each of them a second time.

Four voices groaned.

Joe cut them off, whispering with deadly vehemence, “But I’m not sure that I will. You’ve pissed me off. You scumbags shot at dogs. Friendly dogs, no less. There is no creature in this world more loyal, or more deserving of our respect.

Joe paused for a moment to stare one of them down.

You came and attacked us without warning, and that makes you the enemy. You’re criminals—filthy scum who’ve resorted to raiding innocent Americans, instead of working together with them while our nation is at war.

Joe tightened his fist around the knife’s handle.

I have half a mind to let you bleed and roast here under the sun, then shiver at night in the cold of the ocean’s fog until you expire. The only reason you may live—is that I’ve got my superior NCO holding me back.”

Mike tapped Joe’s shoulder. “That’ll do, Schimpf. Gather up the kids for training. This beach is as good a place as any. I’ll talk with the folks from Genomics and see what they know about these punks.”

Aye, Master Guns,” Joe replied curtly.


Rihelah’s heart raced as she sat facing Michael. The sound of the ocean was soothing, but it couldn’t cut through the anxiety in her heart.

I can do this. He said he’ll always care, and Michael never goes back on his word. The worst that can happen is that we’ll still be friends.

Right?

She opened her mouth to speak, but old insecurity wormed its way into her thoughts like it always had, and she pressed her lips together.

Or… he’ll be offended to learn that the ugly duckling wants him. Only asshole men ever approach me in that way, soRihelah frowned, feeling bitter.

Hey—you okay?” Michael asked. His kind eyes searched Rihelah’s while she fought the urge to cry.

I—I’ve always wondered why,” she began, but her voice caught. I can’t ask him that. He might think I’m calling him an asshole because he spends so much time with me. If I lose Michael

Wetness pooled at the corners of her eyes as her breaths came faster.

Why can’t I just tell him?

What is it?” Michael looked at her. His kind eyes made her melt.

And she couldn’t answer.

Tears leaked down Rihelah’s face, and she fought the urge to sob when Michael leaned forward to embrace her. His warmth was comforting, but her confidence had waned.

Rihelah pressed her cheek into Michael’s and felt his head lean against hers. He’s so strong and kind and gentle and beautiful and protective… I don’t deserve him. She sniffled as her nose began to drip.

I’m so gross…

An age-old feeling of inadequacy she’d carried since childhood chewed at Rihelah’s heart. Mom said I was ugly and useless. My own mother… He’s so far above me. Why would Michael ever want a waste case like me?

Rihelah shook with her silent sobs as Michael pulled her closer.

And she wept.

It’s okay, Rihelah. Hey, I’m here with you.” Michael’s gentle whisper was heaven and hell to her ears as his strong hand caressed her back.

I want you, Michael Elliott—but I can never have you

After that agonizing but familiar thought, Rihelah sobbed aloud while Michael held her tightly.


When Joe passed the Crow’s Nest and onto the beach looking for them, he found Michael and Rihelah seated on the sand in an embrace. Joe was about to call out, but then he heard Rihelah sobbing.

Those two.

Joe chuckled sadly and turned away to give his protégés some space.

Me and Anna used to joke about how it might take a nuclear war to bring that pair together. He sighed and frowned. Even that hasn’t done it.

Looking out over the ocean, Joe imagined Anna’s gentle, loving smile.

He felt an emptiness in his chest.

If you can hear me—I’ll find a way. I’ll—

Stomach churning, Joe swallowed and steadied his breathing. He shut his eyes to blink away the tears that had formed and prayed.

Lord Auronox. I know you’re out there, somewhere. You’ve given me more than I’d ever dreamed could be possible.

Joe touched his old dog tags, gripping them gently.

Please, look after my wife until I find a way to bring her back. Or take me, instead. I’d give my life for hers a thousand times over.

Turning his face to the sky, Joe shut his eyes to soak in the sun’s warmth for a moment—but it didn’t feel quite as strong as it should.

It’s too cold for this time of year. Hope we’re not entering a nuclear winter. That’d probably kill just as many people as the damned bombs.

[Mister Joe come to swim?] [Is hunting time!]

Sandy and Sunny raced past him on their way to the shore, and Joe smiled at their joyous attitude.

The signature sound of an F-22 Raptor screeched and rumbled when it passed somewhere overhead, but Joe failed to spot the stealthy fighter plane.

Glad the military’s still got some assets remaining. If we had comms, we could contact the Corps to find out what the hell’s happening. Still can’t get a damned radio working… Damned EMP.

Joe took a deep breath and let it out slowly, thinking of Anna, Michael and Rihelah, his brothers and sisters in arms, the country and its constitution, and his sworn duty to protect them all.

Everything, in its own time.

Might as well go for a run while Rihelah calms down.

 

I kept a trio of Devilflies perched atop the Crow’s Nest, with orders to continue wrapping the prisoners if it looked like they might break free.

While the humans did their thing, I used my income from the Nemesis crabs and the rest of my Devilflies to expand my tunnels and caverns—wherever the humans weren’t close enough to interfere.

After enlarging most of my dog passages to comfortably accommodate humans up to Joe’s height, I planted edible fungi, created more lightstones, and spruced the place up.

Since Joy and Siobhán were residents, they no longer blocked my ability to shape the Dungeon, so I expanded my basement further.

The original space was nostalgic for me, so I left most of that as-is. But I shaped three additional bedrooms off the storage room, and absorbed a large number of copper pipes from the surrounding area.

I wasn’t sure if I could get the water heater functioning again, but I hoped I could eventually set things up with running water. Admittedly, I was no plumber, and my knowledge of how houses were built wasn’t exactly impressive. I hardly knew a damn thing, beyond how to use items once they were already built.

Maybe I could ask some of the humans to see if anyone is an expert.

I doubted that an opera singer and three biology beans would also be seasoned plumbers.

I’ll ask them anyway, but if not, then perhaps there’s someone among the larger group.

I checked on my residents, and found Michael embracing Rihelah on the beach. The look in his eyes as he stroked her hair melted my heart. It made me smile to see she had someone who cared so much for her—though I felt empty inside as I considered my previous life.

I never gave anyone a chance aside from Steven. And that was my fault.

The emotional ache wasn’t as bad as it had been before my evolution, but I still hurt, knowing that I’d missed out on that kind of love forever.

Dungeons aren’t exactly relationship-material.

Joe, who’d been jogging along the ruined streets, happened by my basement door. Deciding to trust Joe, I opened the door for him, revealing the glow of the lightstone that had replaced the bulb within.

What the—Dungeon? You’re all the way up here, too?” Joe stopped and scrunched his brow as he peered closer.

I wiggled the door in response to Joe’s question, and he blew a sigh through his nose.

With a shrug, Joe headed down into my basement.

Ack! Hey, Joe,” Siobhán exclaimed.

So, what is this place?” Joe asked.

It’s ProfCon’s basement,” Siobhán replied.

She maintained a bit more distance from Joe than before.

Hah! A place like this could be useful if she’ll let us stay. Is it safe? Those bugs and spiders won’t come after us down here?” Joe reached to pet Nino atop the water heater.

She says, not unless you do something stupid to deserve it, like those idiots up above—did something happen, Joe?”

Joe opened his mouth to speak, but I answered for him.

[Yes, Soybean. More humans showed up, and they shot at my girls.]

They WHAT?” Siobhán yelled.

Nino shot a glare at Siobhán, then resumed purring under Joe’s scritching.

Joe seemed to understand that I’d told her.

Easy, Killarney. The Dungeon handled them. Just some idiot named Nicolas and this girl, Clemen, along with three others whose names I haven’t caught. One of them is dead. Nicolas shot him through the chest after Ciara tied them all up with a swarm of dragonflies that spin the toughest silk I’ve ever seen in my life.” Joe scratched the back of his head with one hand while still petting a purring Nino with the other.

Nicolas, who?” Siobhán glared at Joe.


After a heated talk with some who’d come along from Genomics, Mike worked with Joe to free and disarm the four surviving attackers after Joe had returned along with Joy and Siobhán.

Not smart, to let these pricks go free. I know Schimpf was playing good cop/bad cop with all that bullshit before, but we both know these people can’t be allowed to roam. They’re hostile and unstable.

Someone’s gonna get hurt. Damn it. At least we’ve got Schimpf here in case shit goes south.

It probably will. Mike sighed.

He paused for a moment, looking up at the eerie dragonflies that hovered a few feet above their heads, and remembered the spiders.

The Dungeon better keep a handle on those things.

Clemen wriggled furiously. It seemed like she was trying to reposition herself.

Stop struggling, or I’ll make you stop.” Mike glared at her.

Okay, okay,” Clemen replied, but she continued shifting slowly inside the silk as she glared at Mike with raw hatred.

Fuck.

Mike was about to knock Clemen out to prevent her from doing something dangerous when one of the dragonflies swooped down to land on her face. She shrieked and thrashed.

The lines of silk that still bound Clemen cut deeper into the flesh of her arms and neck as she struggled. A short-barreled brushed-nickel revolver fell to the pavement from inside the silk.

Did that thing just bite her? Mike retrieved the weapon.

The dragonfly lifted off Clemen’s face as she continued screaming, and Mike noticed two angry droplets of blood oozing from the tip of her nose.

Sonofabitch


Minutes later, Mike and Joe had disarmed the captives. The woman Clemen wouldn’t stop struggling, so Mike restrained her while the Dungeon tied her up alone. She writhed and moaned a few feet away, in her personal cocoon.

Nicolas and the other two stood in tense silence, glaring at everyone after Joe healed them.

A small crowd had gathered from below. Most of them seemed to know Nicolas and his cronies.

Mike opened his mouth to question the attackers. But Siobhán spoke first.

Nicolas Rodriguez, you scumbag! It figures that you’d be responsible for this,” Siobhán hissed.

What’s this about, Killarney?” Joe asked Siobhán.

Siobhán growled, “This bastard assaulted three of my girlfriends at UCSC, but he got off scot-free! Had a bunch of his asshole buddies backing him, and, of course, there were no other witnesses.”

Nicolas’ reedy baritone voice radiated arrogance as he responded, staring contemptuously down his nose at her. “Sha-vonny-von! The Sloppy Shrimp from Bio-Science. I knew I smelled rotten fish on the beach. Ohh, the midget’s mad. Got those fat little cheeks a-burnin’! Still not over the deep feeling you got when I punished that loose stench-trench between your chubby thighs, eh? Ooh, she’s angry now! What’s the matter, little girl? Are you desperate for another ride on Daddy’s co—”

Siobhán dashed forward and punched Nicolas in the nose before he could react, snapping his head back. He crumpled to the ground, groaning as Siobhán stood over him, shaking her hand.

Hah. You earned that one, kid.” Joe smirked.

Mike sighed. “Heal him, Schimpf. She might’ve broken his neck.”

Aye,” Joe replied stiffly.

Joe grabbed Nicolas and lifted him back to his feet as a glow surrounded him.

You little cunt! I’ll kill y—” Nicolas screamed as his nose crunched back into shape.

Joe cut Nicolas off with a hand over his mouth. “You don’t know when to shut up, do you, boy?” He pushed Nicolas away, making the young man stumble and almost fall.

Mike sighed, and Joe moved back to stand beside him. The two men near Nicolas backed away a couple of steps, their eyes wide after what they’d just seen.

Glancing at Siobhán, Mike noticed a barely-restrained fury behind her eyes.

Before Siobhán could act, Mike spoke up. “Right! Here’s the deal! We’re in a time of war and a state of emergency. You four attempted to use deadly force against US civilians and Marine Corps personnel with the intent to kill. Against my better judgment and at the request of some who are present, I am allowing you an opportunity to explain yourselves.

Nicolas stared Mike down while he spoke, but Mike just grinned back at him.

I suggest that you sit on the ground and play nice, or I’m letting Gunnery Sergeant Schimpf help you with your attitudes. You have fifteen seconds to comply, starting now.

Joe stepped forward and cracked his huge knuckles. The defiance behind the young men’s eyes started to crumble, except for Nicolas, who sneered back at Joe.

They remained standing until one spoke up as Joe loomed.

Fuck this shit, Nic! I ain’t mixin’ it up with God-damned Hercules!” The man dropped to his knees, then folded his hands behind his head.

Bullshit! He’s just some washed-up old geezer who goes to the gym! Get your ass up, Marcus!” Nicolas kicked the kneeling man in his ribs while the man on his other side sat down.

Nicolas saw that the other had obeyed and glared at him.

Joel—you fucking cowards!” Nicolas spat.

Time’s up, son. He’s all yours, Schimpf.” Mike sighed with an apologetic look toward Nicolas. Joe shrugged and moved forward.

Nicolas rushed aggressively at Joe with a scowl, raising his fists while taking an upright orthodox stance as he started to bob and weave. “Come on and get some, old ma—”

Joe knocked Nicolas flat out with a massive overhand right that landed so quickly against his cheek and forehead, he never saw it coming.

Mike exclaimed softly, “Holy hell, Schimpf.”

Nicolas rag-dolled to the ground, and Joe breathed a sigh, shaking his head.

From Mike’s left, one of the young men who’d come up to watch raised his fist to the sky in excitement and yelled, “Schimpf!”

Several others chanted after him, repeatedly, “Schimpf!” They pumped their fists in the air with each reiteration of Joe’s last name.

Mike chuckled when Joe rolled his eyes.


Minions: 100/100

Residents: 10/10

Denizens: 10798

Traps: 1/5

4