Chapter 12
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leruji retreated from his position because even though Arete was injured by blocking the metal blades, she was not weak. He wondered how the girl could muster up the strength for the moment when he and Han were still fighting.

 

"Your tendency to know things that are not yours..." He clenched his fist, "You don't know anything... Stop making it look like I'm the bad guy here."

 

"Then make people understand your story." Arete stepped back with her right foot and rushed towards Leruji, "They can't help you if you don't tell them your problem."

 

"Don't act like a saint, Arete!"

 

"Who said I'm acting like shit or whatever? I've killed… people to keep living. For sure, you've killed more than me." Arete kicked Leruji's face. Even if she doesn't use the remaining magic that Han gave her, she can still keep up.

 

"You confuse me with your words, Arete. I will never fall for such people's ways!" Leruji kicked back at her thigh but it's like there's no muscles for her to hit back. She concluded that he's been dependent on magic all his life.

 

"Really? Then why are you saying it? Are you changing your mind?" She sneered at him.

 

"LEARN TO RESPECT YOUR SENIORS, YOU UNEDUCATED BRAT!" He formed a fist in his hand to punch her straight to her face. Arete laughs and blocks it easily with both her arms. Leruji had just backed up again with that strong block from Arete, "You... I already beat the right hand. What makes you think you will win, huh?!"

 

"Nah. I'm just fighting you because you're dragging innocent people, you're delusional and... That sums it up."

 

"I'll kill everyone in this world, if I beat you."

 

"I won't let you. Just take the ones who are corrupted like you. Dance together in hell, being skeletons or even scream in eternal pain."

 

"You said such things as if you went there yourself!"

 

"I believe in only one God and that is the creator of all. Greediness of humanity created such depth of loneliness and suffering. Since you are delusional, I'll try and send you there."

 

Leruji brought out more elemental beads. Just as he did, he separated them and he placed them around him as a barrier. Arete didn't think too much about the consequences and she kicked it to break it but the elements united and her attacks came back to her, doubling the impact.

 

She fell near Han's location.

 

"Arete... You've done enough..." The man said, almost whispering.

 

"No. Think about the ones he controlled to get people's souls. Think about the song your friend made being used for evil." She looks at him angrily. She hated the situation and its outcome.

 

He smiles weakly, "Jayen will be grateful that you think of his work as a fruit of kindness."

 

"I'm going back to fight Leruji. I keep checking his movements and he's just staring at us."

 

"... Maybe he thinks we're coming up with another manipulation. I'm not good with that. You are."

 

"Am I? My, my... I'll be back, Han." She stands up, wiping her dress that is already worn out and dirty.

 

"Stay alive, Arete... We just said our vows as partners and official teacher and student." He coughs.

 

Arete smiled widely and nodded. She runs towards Leruji and jumps higher to kick him in the back of his head. Leruji raised his eyebrow in amusement and didn't dodge it due to the barrier. Arete didn't back down and was trying to break the barrier with her own leg. It's getting an electric feeling and she feels her brain will shut down any moment.

 

"Do you want to know the rest of the story?" He smiles at Arete, "That little boy is indeed me. After what happened, a magician accepted me under his wing. He sheltered and taught me all about principles and magic. He even enrolled me in a famous academy that runs the whole world. Even neighboring countries didn't protest. I thought my life would be different, but they abused me and made my life a living hell! The likeness of the Gods in humanity is uncanny!"

 

"I believe in only one creator. He created us to spread his love and words." Arete noticed that the belt she wears on her white dress is having a reaction to make it look fit. She removed it, ripping it out into two and tried to wrap her hands and legs. She started both punching and kicking the barrier many times.

 

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!"

 

"Maybe I am." She grinned at him, continuing punching the barrier until she heard a little crack, "A PROGRESS!"

 

"I WON'T LET YOU!" Leruji's hand came out of the barrier and was about to strangle Arete when a small explosion seemed to block it.

 

"She's untouchable as long as I'm here." Han sits down, still regenerating.

 

"Thanks. I'll get back to you." Arete smiled. The barrier slowly broke down until it disappeared. Again, Arete grinned and kicked Leruji in the face. She knows how quickly the man can fix his composure to throw another attack at her. She closes her eyes only to focus. She takes a deep breath in and out.

 

'You can do it, Arete.' Her body was shaking. Giving up in exhaustion. She was also running out of breath.

 

"Don't take your eyes off me, Arete!" Leruji forms a fist and punches her.

 

'When did I start ignoring my potential? I guess when I was a child. I know I have talent in terms of martial arts but I didn't pursue it because the only outcome would be violence.'

 

She tilts her head to the side and glares at Leruji. She holds his arm and pulls it to kick his chest.

 

"Hell —" Leruji couldn't block it and went flying to the tree. He coughed up blood from the impact.

 

'The fight's not over. I can sense that Leruji isn't even using half of his strength.' She thought. She looks over Han and he's almost complete in healing himself, "Han."

 

"...Yes?"

 

"Do you think I'll win this?"

 

"Honestly speaking, half chance. You're still improving as my student." He sits in a lotus position and starts controlling his energy.

 

"... I'll be going." She goes to Leruji's direction when someone throws several knives at her, "Shit!"

 

It was not removed immediately and the knives sank deeper into her body. This is not the reason for her to stop fighting. She should continue until she wins.

 

"That's enough. I'll bring him back." That person said.

 

"You two won't go anywhere!" Arete removes her shoes and starts throwing it with such force that you can smoke splits in half.

 

"We'll meet again, right hand, young prodigy." Before the shoes hit those two, they disappeared.

 

Arete fell to her knees and gasped, grabbing the soil as she clenched her fist "Shit... I let them away!"

 

"Be proud that you're able to fight such a strong opponent. He's an all-around magician like me." Han sighs.

 

"...." It takes minutes before she composes herself. Arete stood up and went to where Han was sitting.

 

"...Hmm?" He finished meditating and sat in a more relaxing way.

 

"....Han." She called.

 

"Yes?"

 

Arete pulled out the other hair that was not burned in the explosion. Her hand travels from his hair, to his cheeks until his neck. She's close to his face, looking at him, pretty emotionless in the eyes, "... You..."

 

"... What?"

 

She stares at him for a moment, "You told me a vow."

 

He was stunned by her eyes, he was attracted for a moment, ".....”

 

"You're an immortal and knew that vows shouldn't be taken lightly, right?"

 

"......"

 

"Han."

 

He looks away, embarrassed, his cheeks slowly turning pink, "... Yes. I know. You... You're my student."

 

"Is that so? I thought you're just saying it because it seemed like I was dying earlier."

 

"I told you, I won't let you die before me."

 

".... Really? I'm glad." She stands up and reaches for his hand, "We need to go back, it's getting hotter here every second. I have protection in my body since you gave me some of your magic."

 

He accepted her hand, "Thank you partner. You did great on your real battle experience."

 

She didn't answer and Han grabbed her waist and like in the previous one, he made an invisible path for them to walk on in the air.

 

"It's like this feeling... It's like when I killed someone... The thought that I have to live... When I lost consciousness, I thought there would be a flashback of my life but it's just me, sitting in a boundless horizon." She blurted out.

 

"Boundless horizon... Your consciousness."

 

"I think so too... Han..."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"I... Someday... I want to lead a team."

 

"Is Lily included?"

 

"Yes. If she wants to." She smiles a little.

 

"That's quite a big goal. Well, we're going through a journey. We'll meet several people on our way."

 

"....."

 

"You are not satisfied with the match?"

 

".... I was thinking about your nickname."

 

"Nickname? Right hand?"

 

She nodded slowly, looking back at the burning mountain, "What... What are you, Han?"

 

"...." He chuckles, "I didn't get to make a copy of my sleeveless turtleneck back there in the mountains."

 

"... I need you on the team, Han. You don't have to hide everything."

 

"Curiosity kills you, Arete. Besides, it doesn't matter who I am."

 

"... Leruji said you were one of the reasons why Iryankka was destroyed.. Han, you loved that world. You grew up there. Your principles and mind were formed there... I don't believe what Leruji says. I just want you to clarify it."

 

"If you don't believe me, why do I need to explain?"

 

"I need to hear your side. You need to defend yourself. Tell me why you are the right one. Explain to me how that side of your story became the truth even if someone appeals to it."

 

"You and Jayen are the same. Hopeful and wise." He smiles and looks at the moon, "it's not bloody red anymore. I guess that's the effect of Leruji's ceremony."

 

"Do you think that if Jayen is with you now and there are some parts of your life that he doesn't know about, will he just keep quiet in the corner? No, right? If you are a grown-up who doesn't have an insane mind, you will care enough to listen."

 

"You're still naive."

 

"Naive? That I killed a person? Willing to kill people if they get in my way? I don't think so."

 

"Then stand up, Arete. If you want to lead a team you'll make, you need to get rid of the emotions that occupy your soul."

 

"All of it?"

 

"Only during the fight. That's my suggestion. Emotions can be both strength and weakness only if the person who has it will manage it properly."

 

".... Okay... I get what you are saying. Thank you for not going harsh on me."

 

"I used to be strict with my apprentices. I pushed them so hard that they killed themselves." He smiled bitterly, "My comrades always tell me that it wasn't my fault, that the head magicians also contributed to that burden, but it's heavy in my heart, you know?"

 

"...Han..."

 

"The head magicians said it was my students' fault that they were not competent..." He clenched his fist, "Don't feel sorry towards me, Arete."

 

"Did you... Always witness that thing so many times?"

 

"....Unfortunately, yes."

 

"Han..."

 

"I'm fine. Really. In the end, I'm the problem. I should eradicate the problem —"

 

"NO!"

 

His eyes widened in surprise, "... Arete?"

 

"YOU WILL NOT DIE! I KNOW YOU CAN'T BECAUSE YOU'RE AN IMMORTAL BUT YOU SHOULDN'T TRY TO ERASE YOUR EXISTENCE!" She starts tearing up.

 

"Don't cry for me. Don't mourn for the burdens I have."

 

"I can't... I can't help it... You're suffering."

 

"I'm used to it... Don't cry now." He put his hand and made a handkerchief for Arete, "I can regenerate and come back to you."

 

"No. No!" She throws it away.

 

He smiled, "You're a crybaby."

 

"Until the end of time, that day maybe I'm older than you, unrecognizable and weaker but I'll stay... Even though you will get stricter, I wouldn't mind!"

 

"Haa... You're making it harder for me."

 

"Han... I... I know the feeling of drowning in your own mind and darkness... I know that, that's why I won't leave."

 

"... Do you want to hear a song?"

 

"... Huh?"

 

Han cleared his throat then,

 

The month of drought is near,

Blame yourself for things that do not conform to the light,

Be a wanderer and seek redemption,

An immortal left behind in the memories of the past.

 

With every wish my heart says,

It is shrouded in darkness and resentment,

Everything that I wanted to protect disappeared right before my eyes,

Even if I try to go back in time, I will still end up with that ending.

 

I had no option to stop running away from them,

Even though it's hard and painful, I want to forget everything,

Is it hard to ask the thousands of stars again?

Run, run... That's all I can think of doing.

 

No matter who you approach to press your request, it will not be fulfilled,

To protect everyone, you lie,

Prove that your tears are not wasted,

Even if there is no justice, you will bring judgment.

 

Only fools can't hold tightly to the person they love,

I'm a fool to think that everything will be fine when I disappear from this world,

Death awaits me the moment I decide to give up immortality,

I hope someone saves me.

 

Save me from the endless cycle of pain,

It was so bad that my emotions are getting alive again,

I'm not the victim, I'm not the culprit either but I have to get revenge,

I will rise again so that the bad ending will not happen again.

 

She wiped her tears, her heart felt heavy with the song, "Is that what you feel, Han?"

 

"Maybe. I wrote that song while I wasn't doing any experiments at the Palace of Wisdom."

 

"Han..."

 

He cupperd her face, wiping the remaining tears in her cheeks, "Hmm? Are you worried again?"

 

".... Yes. The song is grieving... I don't know what else I can say to describe my feelings."

 

"Is my voice good?" Han changed the subject.

 

She nodded.

 

"Arete, I —"

 

"ARETE! HAN!"

 

They both looked down and saw Lily crying and waving at them.

 

"We have reached our destination." He laughs, composing himself and offers his hand, "Shall we?"

 

"Looks like you have something else to say to me, Han." She said, confused, but still accepted his hand.

 

"There's a lot of time. We can talk after this."

 

After they got off, Faier, Lily, and Lobin greeted them.

 

Lobin, "Han, You're alive."

 

Han, "Afterlife and the underworld rejected me."

 

Faier, ".. How?"

 

Han, "I miraculously survived the explosion made by that bastard. Then here I am. Still alive."

 

Lobin, "He's an immortal and received some... blessing that he can regenerate, so he wouldn't die that easily."

 

'Lobin hesitated in saying blessing... It's a curse.' Arete looked between Lobin and Han.

 

Lily held the hands of the two, "I'm glad you two are alright... I'm glad..."

 

"Me too!" Faier answered with a smile.

 

"Faier, I know why you know Jayen's song."

 

"... Huh? I'm not being used as an instrument for their evil deeds, right?"

 

"Right now, all I can say is no."

 

".... I trust your answer, Han."

 

"For now, let's help the victims first. Did anyone die?" Arete asked.

 

Lobin, "Many people died due to the eruption of the mountain."

 

Arete was silent and she clasped her hands, "Sorry..."

 

"For what?" Lobin tilted his head to the side.

 

"I... I used blood magic to control your fire."

 

"Emotions can go overboard most of the time. Take time in controlling it so there wouldn't be fatal casualties." The man answered.

0