Chapter 18
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They entered the district of Pacu. They were surprised when the atmosphere inside the district changed. People are bright and cheerful. The vegetables and fruits they see on display in stores are vibrant.

 

Lobin, "Illusion."

 

Faier, "there are wandering souls."

 

"Let's just act normal." Arete leads the way and approaches an old woman sitting on the ground, "Hello. We're adventurers and everyone told us that districts of Ridav have their own delicacies. We came here to learn your dishes."

 

"She's amazing at making a scenario..." Lily whispered to Han.

 

"Right?" He smiles proudly, "that woman is wicked and I love her personality."

 

"It's like almost all the different types of behavior you'll like."

 

"You're right. I'm not discriminating against everyone's personality."

 

"What if they're unchangeable?"

 

"Then I'll kill them." His smile turns into a sweet one despite delivering such a statement.

 

Back to Arete, she waits for the old woman's answer. She took gold coins from her pocket to help the old woman.

 

"Are there any chefs here that we can talk with, ma'am? Here's some coins, I'm taking your precious time and it's shameless of me if I'm not considerate."

 

"If you are adventurers, you know what is happening in our district." The old woman's face has a lot of wrinkles, indicating stress about their situation.

 

".... Ma'am, we're also here for that. I'll give you more golden coins for each information that you will say."

 

"....."

 

Han had enough. He pushed Arete aside and held the old woman's head. He recites some unrecognizable phrases. Unlike his previous outbursts, this aura seems so calm and warming. Han and the old woman are surrounded by fire.

 

"What is Han doing?" Arete asked Lobin.

 

The man sighs and a flame forms on his index finger. He starts writing in air,

 

Han knew that the curse is activated during the day and monsters or some cult is listening to what we are saying. He's just being careful so if we decide to do an ambush attack, we will win. And he's using mind manipulation to uncover important details about the issue.

 

Arete and the others read it and nodded in agreement. They waited for Han to finish what he's doing.

 

Han's eyes widened, turning white as he read all the memories and details the old woman had. It is not exhausting for him and it only contributes a little to his tiredness. As he let go of the old woman's head, the color returned to his eyes. He faced his colleagues and smiled.

 

"Well, let's try leaving this place to confirm if what I saw is true or an illusion."

 

The four followed him and as they left Pacu, people looked at them differently. Lily is on her defense stance, drawing her sword out, covering Arete and Lobin.

 

They reached the gate surrounded by vines and hellhounds were summoned to drag them back inside.

 

"The memories were right. The spawn of underworld creatures is in Pacu." Han snaps his fingers and his outfit changes into fitted sleeveless turtleneck and loosened trousers.

 

Lily immediately rushes forward to cut the hellhound's feet. Those creatures jumped as an instinct and let out a loud roar in front of her face. She seems unfazed by it. She slides her right foot back down, bending her knees and striking her heart. She grinned at it and immediately backed up to wait for its counterattack.

 

"Good fight there." Lobin stands behind her, protecting her back.

 

"Thank you, Koryn."

 

"Getting comfortable? I don't mind." He chuckles.

 

"I'll catch up with you guys... I won't back down!" She jumps and throws her sword to the hellhound's neck. She gripped the handle and pushed it deeper and twisted it.

 

"I'll take her as my apprentice." Lobin crossed his arms.

 

"Our taste when picking our students is magnificent, don't you think?" Han raises his hand, expecting a high five from Lobin. And the man walked past him, "Hey!"

 

"We love strong women, but we need to help too, dumbass." Lobin said.

 

"Ah. This guy didn't change. Still stingy."

 

Arete on the other hand is in trouble. She's facing the three headed hellhounds. She pierced its heart with her fist with a little bit manipulation in her spiritual energy but it is still alive and the other parts of the body that were removed by her regenerated.

 

"Tough. Everything's so difficult —"

 

Han pulls her to his side, expanding his whole hand, releasing hellfire, "I'm here, my lady."

 

"I don't need your help. It's part of my training."

 

"You'll die if you keep your pride high." He smiles.

 

"Alright. Thank you."

 

"You're welcome, my bratty student."

 

"Even if you don't have an instrument, you can use music to fight. Combine it with your fists. Sing loudly as the world hears you."

 

"Will you teach me a new song again, Xian?"

 

"Yes. I have so many songs that I composed. I want you to know all of it, Arete." She pats her shoulder, "You're a person who will fly freely like a bird. Use this music of mine to conquer the world."

 

'You told me that your songs are mine too. Guide me, Xian.' She closes her eyes, taking a deep breath in and out. She spun around slowly. At last, she takes a step forward to the hellhounds, circles around it gracefully, her gaze is on Han to calm her mind.

 

I always remember that time,

A time where you smile even when you are angry with other people,

I didn't choose to forget that, you were there,

I don't care about regret, I can destroy the world so you can be happy.

 

Black and white, good and bad,

Everyone has differences but is it really necessary to fight?

Inside of my heart, it has a hole,

A hole that knows no bounds.

 

She danced to the song, as the magic circles are forming in every direction that the hellhounds are running to. Letting out her emotions and each word that comes from her mouth, she can manipulate both her spiritual energy and the song. Her feet and heart are in sync with the music.

 

Different identities, same path,

In countless nights, I want everyone to stay still,

Paying for the pain they caused,

Hugging the eternal resentment coming from my heart.

 

A world where turmoil isn't new,

Don't be afraid and start coming closer,

Don't drift away from me

We'll finish what we started.

 

Black and white, good and bad,

Everyone has differences but is it really necessary to fight?

Inside of my heart, it has a hole,

A hole that knows no bounds.

 

As the song and dance progresses, she sees that the hellhounds are yelping. She can't help but allow herself to form a smile on her lips, seeing those creatures suffer.

 

The warmth of your hands making me move forward,

War and corruption are there,

We should eradicate because it taints our hearts,

I will go through thousands of years to get it done.

 

The things I couldn't say

It doesn't disappear, it haunts me,

Can you hold my heart so I can fight endlessly?

Another tomorrow that will feel like forever.

 

Black and white, good and bad,

Everyone has differences but is it really necessary to fight?

Inside of my heart, it has a hole,

A hole that knows no bounds.

 

By the time she ends the song, hellhounds are on the ground, dead. She grinned and looked at Han whose body was shaking with fear.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Where... Where did you learn that song?"

 

"Han... Why are you... Like that?" She asks. Panic can be seen in her face.

 

"How... How did you..." His hand covers half of his face, still trembling.

 

"Han. That's enough." Lobin slaps him to knock some sense out of him, "Han. Do you really want to start a fight here? Go back to your senses."

 

"What... What did I do?" Arete asks... Looking at Lily and Faier who are clueless like her.

 

"Han, wake the hell up." Lobin slaps him several times until his face is swelling.

 

".... Koryn... She knew..." Han stares at the man blankly.

 

"No. She doesn't. Now stop being unprofessional and stand up."

 

"Koryn... What should I do..."

 

"Stand up and tell us what the old woman's memories are."

 

"Koryn..."

 

"Han's out of control..." Faier looked terrified.

 

"Huh...?" Arete comes closer, removing some of his hair in his face, "if I did something, I'm sorry... Can you go back to normal after we give you space?"

 

Han looks at her, "Arete..."

 

"Yes? I'm here."

 

"How..."

 

"Stop asking her that. You're an immortal. You know how life works." Lobin said, annoyed at his partner, "no matter how painful the past is, it doesn't mean the future will be the same. Now you're working again with a team, make sure not to repeat the same mistakes."

 

"....."

 

Lobin doesn't have a choice but to knock Han unconscious behind his neck, "I need to make him unconscious. He's hysterical."

 

Lily, "What happened to him?"

 

"Someone important to him. He remembered that person just now."

 

Faier, "then why is he asking Arete?"

 

"It's because Arete left her body after being in comatose for almost two weeks. She might have met someone who used to be involved in Han's team." Lobin carried the man on his shoulder effortlessly.

They found a place to stay inside the district, the people seemed to go back to normal after they defeated the hellhounds. Han is also resting peacefully. Lobin and Faier are out to buy some ingredients to prepare some Iryankka local dishes.

 

Arete and Lily were left behind to guard Han and their place.

 

"Arete, Han will be fine." Lily held her hand, trying to comfort her.

 

"... All I did was to fight the enemies and he became like that... Am I the trigger?"

 

"Arete, he trained you. You know him well. Don't think negatively because he reacted like that."

 

'All I did was to sing Xian's song. It's mine too... Do the two of them know each other? Or am I over-thinking because I can't escape the fact that I'm blaming myself for things that are uncontrollable?'

 

"Are you talking to yourself right now? You seemed out of your mind. You can tell me anything."

 

"I'm fine, Lily... It's just... I saw how he panicked. Even though we're trying to calm him down, he's not responding properly."

 

"....."

 

"I should talk to him about it. As long as he's down for it."

 

"That's the spirit." Lily gave her a sincere smile, "Don't doubt yourself, Arete!"

 

"... Thank you."

 

"... Arete?"

 

She turns and Han is awake, smiling at her.

 

"Han!" She immediately hugs him, "I'm so worried about you! I thought you would lose control and not go back to your senses!"

 

"Did I... Really lose control earlier?" He looks at Lily.

 

"Unfortunately, yes. You're not destructive, but you're kinda... unresponsive." She answered honestly.

 

"Is that so? Maybe I overused my mind manipulation ability. I've read almost all of the old woman's memories. It's overwhelming."

 

"Oh. I prepared some soup. I'll get it and now you two can talk first." Lily taps the two's shoulders and leaves the room.

 

Silence surrounds the room then Arete clears her throat.

 

"So... Uh..."

 

"I'm sorry. I lost control."

 

"....."

 

"That song... It was part of Iryankka's musical collection."

 

"?!" She gasped, 'Xian is from Iryankka?!'

 

"It's... It's been so long since I've heard about it. Can I ask you how did you know about it?"

 

"... There are voices in my head. I can hear whispering all over my ears." She lies.

 

"... Supernatural phenomena, huh... Iryankka's souls aren't having a peaceful rest because of the sudden explosion of our world... Understandable. Maybe, you're their hope noe, Arete."

 

'If Xian taught me those songs because she sees me as a hope for her world... Then I'll take responsibility for it.' She thought.

 

"I'm sorry, Han. I tried my best to get you back on your feet but I didn't know how to handle panic attacks." She looks down, regretting it.

 

He looks at her, "... It's fine, Arete. But I do have to warn you. I'm not as kind as you think I am."

 

She nodded, "I can prepare my mind while we're going on this journey."

 

"You might see some of my dark side. I don't want to sound so intimidating, but are you prepared for anything that may come?"

 

"Yes."

 

"There are things that you may never see with your own eyes since we grew up in a different world. Are you okay with being in the presence of a traitor?"

 

"Traitor..." She holds his hands tightly, smiling sadly at him, "is that really what you see on yourself?"

 

"Yes, Arete. I've committed crimes that are beyond any kind of understanding. It's unforgivable. It's horrible. I... I'm a mess."

 

"Then, I'll slap that past out of you so you can realize that I will try and try until I reach you again if you lose control. Literally and metaphorically."

 

"Arete... You... Would you really do that for me? You're like... A protector."

 

"Do I need a reason to protect you?"

 

"I... I don't know."

 

"Every version of you, I will protect it, Han. The top student of the Academy. The all around magician of Iryankka. The traitor. And the present. All of it. If I ever run away, make sure you will come and chase me. Even though we might become enemies due to our differences, chase and make me realize what I'm losing." She squeezed his hands, assuring him that she's telling the truth.

 

"Even if I agreed to be part of your team, I'm still a threat. A living time bomb to everyone. I will cost everyone's lives here. Are you sure you will handle someone like me?"

 

"Han..." She looks at him, her other hand caresses his cheeks and he feels its warmth.

 

"Arete... You're making me vulnerable. Don't do this to me."

 

"The creator might have plans for you. He gave you a second chance to use your strength to protect people for millennia. Lobin, another God who's your partner is also there. If you lose control, I will fall with you. We will fall with you. If you come back to your senses, I'll make sure you will live, contented. Don't... Don't underestimate your strength, Han. You're the strongest person I know." She let tears escape from her eyes, feeling the pain Han has.

 

A moment of silence between the two of them as Han remained silent. His mind seems struggling to think of a response to what she just said. He reaches for her cheeks, wiping her tears.

 

"Are you going to be my savior? Is saving me from my past worth it?"

 

"Save you or not, I'll stay by your side. We're comrades, remember?" She tries to laugh about it.

 

"I'm sorry... This conversation of ours got emotional... I'm sorry. It will never happen again."

 

"No... It's fine. Such emotions like fear, doubt, thrilled and weakened is normal because after all, we're all humans. Immortal or not. Our body can be rotten until it turns into dust. Our soul will go on a journey to find its eternal place." She says it in an encouraging tone.

 

"Arete... Such an intelligent woman.." He whispered.

 

"Hmm? Did you say something?"

 

"No matter how difficult our journey may be.. I will protect you."

 

"You're already protecting me with your assurance." She pulls him up, dragging him to the windows, "there's another tomorrow for us to learn and see.

 

He walked with her in silence, holding her hand firmly. Not wanting to let go.

 

"Han... I don't know so much about the positive side of life, but I heard it's beautiful. Let's explore it together. You're the first person who saved and gave me light. It will be an honor to have you at my side."

 

"You... You really have a way with your words."

 

"I learned from the best." She smiled broadly.

 

Han's eyes widened and looked away, his cheeks slowly turning pink, "Shut up, brat."

 

"Aw. You're no fun, teacher."

 

"I've brought the soup! I waited outside." Lily busted down the door, smiling.

 

"You heard us?!" Arete's surprised. Obviously.

 

"Yes, but you guys need space so I didn't hear all of it. How's your talk? Did you guys clear the misunderstandings if there's any?" She asks.

 

"Yeah. Arete manipulated me to agree with her words." He sniffs, pretending to cry.

 

"HAH?! DO YOU WANT ME TO PUNCH YOU IN YOUR BALLS?!"

 

"OI, MY BALLS ARE IMPORTANT! DON'T TOUCH IT!"

 

"WHO SAID I'M GOING TO TOUCH IT?!"

 

"YOU JUST SAID IT NOW!"

 

"HUH?!"

 

Lily rolls her eyes, "stop it you two. Arete, be on guard. Remember, we're still in Pacu. Han, rest for more hours."

 

Arete, "Mother hen."

 

Han, "Tuk! Tuk! Tuk!"

 

"It's bawk bawk, ​​dumbass."

 

"Huh? Tuk tuk is more appropriate!"

 

"Huh?! The chicken is eating in that sound you're making!"

 

"It's not!"

 

"And they're arguing over nonsense." Lily sits down, massaging her temple, stressing over the two of them.

 

"IT'S BAWK BAWK BAWK!" Arete shouted.

0