Chapter 19
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We're back." Faier said when Lobin opened the door of the place they were staying.

 

"Welcome back." Han said weakly.

 

"I see you're awake." Lobin approaches him and checks for his temperature, "How's your spiritual energy flow?"

 

"It's normal for now." He smiled.

 

"Good. I don't want you to become like Jayen and him."

 

"...."

 

Arete, Lily and Faier didn't ask. It's none of their business and the aura the two men gave is making them uncomfortable, so it's not the right time to ask questions.

 

"Koryn, how's shopping?" Lily asks him.

 

"You brat is comfortable enough to call me by my heavenly body's name." He grinned at her, "You can just call me Lobin since I'm living with the mortals now."

 

"Hmm... Okay? It's just Koryn sounds more reasonable."

 

"Then whatever suits your preference." He then looked at Arete, "Let's go outside. We need to talk."

 

"... Is it problematic?"

 

"Maybe? I don't know. Depending on your answers."

 

Arete stands up from her seat, letting go of Han's hand.

 

"Don't make my student cry, Lobin. You knew what I would do if someone touched my little treasures." Han said, warning him. Literally saying a threat to a God.

 

"Whatever you say. I'm unmatched." He walks away with Arete following him.

 

Outside...

 

"Arete, who are you?" He glared at her, asking straight to the point.

 

"Huh?"

 

"That song belongs to someone Han loved a long time ago."

 

"?!"

 

"Her name is —"

 

"Xian. I know." She bites her lower lip.

 

"You met her in purgatory, right?"

 

"....."

 

"To be honest... You remind me of her, Arete."

 

"What? Xian is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. She's gentle and elegant unlike me."

 

"I'm saying my opinion. Remember, Han isn't a type of person who will befriend just to use your abilities. I've also seen some humans that look like me."

 

Arete smiles, "well, you're handsome and disciplined. I'm sure the creator did that to honor your existence as one of the Gods who manages each world."

 

"Father... Father is like that indeed." He turns at the kids who are running around, playing, "Xian is indeed elegant and kind, but she's also energetic when she's with Jayen and Han. The three of them stayed together from childhood until they became one of the most powerful magicians in Iryankka. She introduced me to the beautiful things the world has."

 

"I met her... There was no regret in her eyes nor sadness... She's... She passed away and didn't even try to live again."

 

"You're right. The other magicians... Let's say, Han's comrades begged me to bring her back and they will make a device that will restore her memories so they can talk to her."

 

"... Being intelligent makes someone wicked."

 

"That's right. Did she say anything about her comrades?"

 

"No... She talked about being free. You know Lobin, when we're staying under the wisteria tree, she's relaxed. She's content at her place in purgatory."

 

".... Arete, did she pass her songs to you? That's why you know about it?"

 

"Yes. She said... Her songs are mine too. She knows I have loved it since childhood and she's glad to teach me all of her techniques."

 

"Xian...." He smiles longingly, "She didn't change..."

 

"But you said Han loved her."

 

"Yes, but he didn't confess. He was focused on gaining power back then."

 

"Han..."

 

"So you see... Han is still grieving about Xian. He's having a panic attack every time he remembers the girl."

 

"I'm sorry, Lobin..."

 

"What for?"

 

"I... I hurt Han."

 

"You didn't."

 

"....."

 

"Han cares about you for who you are. As a God, you can trust my words. I can see through him."

 

Arete smiled sadly, "Xian taught me all of her songs. She said I should use it to help people. To destroy the rotten. I'll... I mean, I need to say this to Han."

 

"Yes. He reached for your hand and now you must hold it tightly. Make sure you two won't get separated."

 

"I will do that, Lobin. Thank you."

 

"And Xian might have left some hellish punishment for the other worlds, mainly Sera."

 

"... Huh?"

 

"Xian, Jayen, him, and Han changed over the years."

 

"Him?"

 

"There will be victory under my name. I, who's the second strongest after Han, shall rule this world." Xian ties up her hair as her guqin lies down on her lap.

 

"No bad feelings, Xian. I have had pity on you since childhood." Someone appeared behind her, "You are dependent on Gods. I'm about to have a stomach ache while laughing about your foolishness."

 

"Aren't you getting so confident just because Han is letting you on his side?" Jayen smirks at that person.

 

"Can you three shut the hell up? I'm talking to the king about the new plan to invade Western countries." Han glared at them.

 

"Of course, the right hand is busy and not wanting to interact with the commoners." That someone speaks again, putting their arms around Han's shoulder, "Who are you going to kill and save? Will you bless them or curse them with your fire manipulation magic? Koryn is here. He grants you unlimited powers."

 

"I already achieved it. Immortality is what I want."

 

"Of course. The right hand wanted more power!" Jayne laughs.

 

Lobin is there, watching the scene unfold. They're not the same children who had hopes for a better world.

 

"Gods are self-centered. That's what they always say." Lobin clenched his fist, "Arete... Even if Han is like that, it will be difficult if his old self comes back. He will make another world explode."

 

"... Did he really do that?" Raw panic was in her shoes. She can feel her body go cold, "I... I don't believe it."

 

"I arrived at the scene too late but he's the one who is the last man standing in the hellfire he made. He didn't explain himself, he just declared himself as the traitor. Xian, Jayen and him were —"

 

"No... Han wouldn't do that... He's a man of morality. He saved me. He wouldn't offer souls for the underworld beings!"

 

"Why are you being naive right now, girl?"

 

"He didn't do those. I will prove it to you. I just know it. Xian isn't thirsty for war!"

 

".... I will implement my punishment when the time comes."

 

"When will the time come?" She scoffed, "You stayed by his side for thousands of years!"

 

".... That's why I don't call myself Koryn. That side of me will not stoop down at this level."

 

"So you're saying that Han isn't worth your time?"

 

"....."

 

She grabbed his collar, making him bend down, veins were popping out in her hands and temple, "Everything you've been through, isn't that reason enough for you to feel sorry for him? You, who's next to him... Why.. . Why are you silent?!"

 

"I don't know how to make you feel bad about our situation."

 

"Lobin... I treated you as a friend. Please don't do this to me."

 

"...."

 

"We talked about how kind Xian is. We also talked about Han's need for guidance. Why is it so easy for you to discredit your friends in front of me?" She's gasping for air, trying to hold her tears.

 

"I need to tell you their dark side. I'm a God who wants a better outcome for the other worlds."

 

"... Did you talk to me because... You think I'm the last hope of Iryankka?"

 

"I bet the Xian you've talked with is her heart and pure soul. Arete, she passed that responsibility to you because you have the guts to protect anyone."

 

".... Lobin... Then... Will you help me in sealing his old self?" She loosens her hold on his collar.

 

"Right back at you, girl. I can't lose the Han I'm seeing right now."

 

"Which version of Han is this Han we're with?"

 

"His true self. The invincible, caring and playful."

 

"... All right. Thank you." She composes herself, "Sorry for doing that to you."

 

"It's understandable. I'm not good with words, so I tend to stay quiet."

 

"Ah... That's why you keep on maintaining your cool image. Stiff like a log."

 

"Is that an insult I heard?"

 

"Maybe? You insulted Xian and Han. That's a punishment." She sticks out her tongue.

 

"Hah. What a daring move, girl."

 

"I have a name you know?"

 

"I know. It's just that I'm more comfortable communicating with Lily more."

 

"Am I too girly for you, huh?"

 

"No. It's just Han can handle you more than me. You're pretty uncontrollable sometimes."

 

".... What do you mean?"

 

"Remember the time when you stayed at the Palace of Wisdom? You’re always causing chaos because of some memories or nightmares during your training?"

 

"YOU SAW THAT?!"

 

"Yes. I'm inside of Han's spiritual pouch. Sometimes, I hangout on his weapons and when he summons it I get to go outside."

 

"Lobin..."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Should we go and solve this issue with our own hands?"

 

".... Let me summon my guardian." Lobin formed a magic circle, revealing his true form. Arete was stunned by how majestic the man looked. Then a gigantic red snake appeared.

 

"HOLY SHIT!" She exclaimed and hid behind him.

 

"Harcla. My beloved guardian." Lobin smiled, "It is I, Koryn, living as Lobin, a mortal."

 

"... Koryn? You're... Alive?" The snake didn't really talk. It's from his mind that anyone can hear.

 

"I deeply regret that I didn't inform you about my whereabouts. I cut all my heavenly connections to my guardians and other Gods to accompany the human I'm partnered with."

 

"Who's she? Is she —"

 

"Arete. She's from a world called Earth. She was caught by a strange phenomena caused by the bloody moon. She was saved by my partner."

 

"Oh. It's a pleasure to meet you, a mortal whose name is Arete."

 

"Oh..." She cleared her throat and bowed, "I'm Arete. It's nice to see such a loyal companion of a God."

 

"Harcla. This is Pacu. We're in the world of Sera. This is the spawn point of underworld creatures." Lobin said, "In the middle of the district is a tall building. I don't know if it's a dungeon, but Arete suggested that the two of us will go there and make it disappear."

 

"What do you want me to do, Koryn?"

 

"The people are in illusion of having a normal life. Also us, travelers. I need you to remove the curse that surrounds the district, heal people and turn them back if you can."

 

Arete, "... Turn them back?"

 

"Yes. The hellhounds we fought earlier were the people of this district."

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"Faier discovered it. He noticed a black lightning on the gate and checked it for me. He saw that we killed the people of Pacu."

 

"Their curse is... to become an underworld creature for being exposed at the spawn point?" She froze in horror.

 

"Yes. I say, the five of us are a great team. There's no maze-like situations, just going from the starting line to the finish line." He laughs.

 

"But... If they become hellhounds, then they're not human anymore."

 

"Everyone becomes useless rotten corpses. Morality can't cover that. Well, I tried reading their minds as humans but as I expected, it's empty. They've become like that for years now."

 

".... Death is their salvation." Arete said with bitterness in her voice.

 

"Yes. Although we can't reverse time, even though you guys had me, we shouldn't corrupt their minds. Even if you want to save them, there's no good outcome to that." He turns to Harcla, "Kill them all. The ones who will not be converted into humans again. Protect Lily, Han and Faier. If there's a shrine priest that passes by, you know how to contact me. Protect them at all costs. "

 

"Yes, Koryn."

 

"And Arete... It's good that you suggested that the two of us will fix this."

 

"Hmm? Why?"

 

"Because Xian and Jayen might have done this. Causing disaster in other worlds."

 

"....."

 

"No more words? Well then, it's showtime."

 

They both entered the room. They found the three talking. Their facial expressions are full of delight.

 

"Han." Arete called.

 

"You guys are back. What are we going to do now? Have you and Lobin come up with a plan yet?"

 

'He realized that Lobin and I were going to do something... Han...' She thought to herself.

 

Lobin summons a new type of weapon in his hands, it's like a staff. At the top of it is a magical crystal and inside is a flame that seems like dancing with the wind, "Harcla, recite the phrase with me.",

 

"For the sake of beloved humanity, let's interpret the distant echoes as prayers from the people in need."

 

Lobin's staff released smoke. Lily and Han gradually lost consciousness.

 

"It's... It's not fair, you pink haired bastard..." Han said before passing out.

 

"... Are you going to do something dangerous again?" Faier looks at the two of them, "Come back alive... It doesn't matter if you two are injured. I can just drag a doctor."

 

"Faier..." Lobin approaches the little boy and pats his head, "We will."

 

"Koryn, you found a little friend." Harcla cuts in the conversation.

 

"Who's that, Arete? Lobin?"

 

"Oh. I have my old friend outside. It's a big snake."

 

"Oh..." The boy looks down, "Lobin... Arete... Good luck on your journey. We'll wait for you."

 

"Thank you, Faier. I hope there's a guardian in that building so I can ask some questions." Arete smiled.

 

"Oh right... How long does the sleeping ritual last?" Faier asks, "We have enough ingredients to cook with."

 

"One week." Lobin answered shortly.

 

"It will be that long, huh... All right... Now, off you go." Faier smiles, trying to lift their spirits, "We need to save people that we can still reach."

 

Arete's face brightens, "yes. You're right. We'll be back, Faier."

 

"Yes. I will wait for you guys."

 

"As long as our bones remain intact, the five of us will stay together forever." Lobin turns around and walks away, "Let's go, Arete. We're wasting more time by staying here."

 

"Wait. I'll pack us food and a weapon."

 

"I don't need one."

 

"Hello? You have a mortal companion?" She points to herself, "I'm mortal and obviously I can die any time."

 

"Oh right..."

 

"The way I'm facing opponents is changing rapidly." She grabs a small bag to pack food, "It's not I'm complaining, I just thought, finding Han's comrades will unfold some secrets."

 

"That's true. All of his crews are different from each other. They're dysfunctional but when Han decides to lead, they will fix themselves."

 

"I want to see that."

 

"You will see it if you let him guide you on your journey."

 

"You have a point there."

 

"It's a warning. Faier and I didn't check the inside of the building. It was sealed, but I hope using my abilities will open it. Don't be a prey, Arete. Even though you're the leader of the team, I'll leave you behind if I catch you being a fodder."

 

"Of course. I don't have a plan on being useless. I came with Han in this world for a reason. Xian helped me go back to this body." She barely concealed her happiness, "the creator, father of all creatures will guide me. I trust my abilities to survive."

 

"Haa... Youth." He went outside to get some air.

 

"Faier, be a good boy, okay? If Harcla told you to drag those two away from here, don't ask." She stares at him seriously.

 

"Yes I understand."

 

"I thought fighting Leruji would be the last fight for now, but I was mistaken. Be quick witted."

 

"Yes. I understand, Arete. Be careful. Don't use spells that will suck your life force."

 

She laughs awkwardly, "Well... It depends on the situation."

 

".... You're making excuses to distract me."

 

"Ah... Haha?"

 

"Arete... All I want is for us all to be together until I get a new body. I want to grow old with you guys. So I'm begging you... Come back alive."

 

"Faier... My actions in the recent past cannot be undone nor tell the future because of it. But, what I can do is do the right thing in the present while I still can." She acts like she's ruffling his hair.

 

"I... I will remember that."

 

"But an excessive amount of desires and morality combined will lead to chaos." She starts walking away, "I'll be going now!"

 

"Good luck, Arete! Lobin!"

 

Arete opens the door and Lobin is already walking far ahead from her. Her eyes twitched in annoyance.

 

"That pink haired bastard... I want to slap that attitude of his out of that body. But oh, he's a God." She sighs in defeat.

0