Chapter 20
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You know Lobin, I noticed.."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"I noticed that it is easy for us to solve problems in Ridav."

 

"Is that so? I told you that the five of us are a great team."

 

"Really? Maybe I didn't catch that." She placed her hand under her chin, "I just think of it because Han and I always make straight forward decisions. The battles don't last long, so we're still alive."

 

"I put my blessings on you guys when he summoned me."

 

"Oh. That's why we're moving so fast and there's almost nothing in our way."

 

"Mn."

 

"Lobin, can I tell you about Earth?"

 

"Hmm? Your homeland? Why? What is it about?"

 

"... Earth has gone through a lot of disasters and yet people are still arguing over authority."

 

"Father loved Earth and the galaxy it belongs to so much." Lobin smiled softly, "He created the first creatures and their usefulness. He wanted to have someone to spread his words."

 

"Yes. It was all in a book. All of us who belong to a religious sect believe in our creator."

 

"Different religions exist. Names of each Gods and creator  have changed and it has different stories. I think it's a beautiful thing to learn."

 

"Yes! That's true." She smiles widely, "I read all about those religions. Most of it is linked to traditions and culture. It enriches the specific region and it makes them unique from one another."

 

"You're a clever girl, Arete."

 

"Oh... Thank you..."

 

"Father loves each world. I remember having a mission for a specific world to disguise as one of the humans and  test their loyalty to their own Gods."

 

"Did they disappoint you?"

 

"Some of them, yes. When I went back to report it, I protected those humans, so they will face another morning and search for forgiveness. Father was glad that I didn't become violent as usual." He chuckles.

 

"Haa... I want to meet the creator.."

 

"So I should kill you?" He starts summoning his weapons.

 

"NOT RIGHT NOW, DUMBASS!" She kicks him on his back. The kick was pretty high.

 

"You said you want to meet father?"

 

"I SAID NOT NOW!" Then she clears her throat, "The memory of my parents will soon be erased from my mind. All I remember is that I was left alone."

 

"Care to share it with me?"

 

"It's not worth it, Lobin." She shakes both of her hands in embarrassment, "Mortal affairs shouldn't bother you."

 

"I've been traveling to different worlds as a human. I didn't really mind."

 

"Oh... Well for starters, I don't have a family name. I don't know why. The children in the orphanage where I grew up said they all have a family name. For me having one is a blessing to have an identity and unfortunately, I don't have it." She explains, "I only go by Arete. In the memories I have, mom used to be a hardworking housewife and volunteering in helping people in need. I always tell other people that I removed my family name because of trauma."

 

"So even then you're making stories about yourself?"

 

"Yes. I don't know if I'm still capable of telling the truth because before going to sleep, conscience is eating me. I'm confused about what to believe anymore."

 

"... That's the consequence, Arete. Lies cover your good intentions until you forget about it."

 

"....."

 

"Continue telling me the story. We're still far from that tall building." He points out the flying hellhounds, surrounding the building in the middle of the district.

 

"Oh... Yeah. Even though people see that our family has no problems... They're kinda distant from me. They always wash their hands when they touch me. Haa..." She sighs, "my heart is aching right now."

 

"You didn't tell this to Han?"

 

"No. I told him the summary, not the whole story."

 

"First, you're making stories to cover the hole in your heart. Second, you're not acknowledging your own feelings."

 

"Am I? Maybe... I don't know, Lobin."

 

"Continue." They turned right to avoid hellhounds and revenants.

 

"Whenever they touch me, aside from washing their hands, they somehow look weaker than the other day I saw them. People called me cursed." She laughs and scratches the back of her head, "My father got involved in the trouble between politicians and police. He was their bait. Mother lost her smile and started treating me differently. Always yelling that I'm not her daughter by blood."

 

"Is your mother also dead?"

 

She nods, "Yeah. I just came home from school and found her lying on her own blood. She took her own life. I didn't call anyone else. It's just me, denying that I have no one else."

 

"I'll find their souls and let them communicate with you. I'm sure they have regrets."

 

"No... I want them to be at peace now, Lobin. If I'm really not their daughter, then bringing me to their home caused them to be in misery. It's my fault."

 

"No one's blaming you. No one should."

 

"I hate myself. Mother hated me. Everyone hated me. I have only one friend but it's still empty."

 

"You know, I let my mother rot there. I wake up, eat and go to school and then go back home, acting like nothing happened. When her corpse smelled, that's when I was separated from her. At that time, I couldn't cry. I just stared at her body and let people put me in an orphanage."

 

"You went through a lot and yet you're full of hope."

 

"I wonder. People misunderstood me all the time and are used to it."

 

'It's because you... I shouldn't say that.' Lobin thought, "I'm glad we're able to meet each other. You're clever and mature."

 

"Thank you for the compliment. Han taught me a lot."

 

"That brat learned from his mistakes. He wants redemption but is still denying his sins. He's full of contradictions."

 

"He's Han. It would be a shock if he doesn't like that." She laughs.

 

"Do you like my partner?"

 

"... Eh? What's with the sudden question? I like him as a mentor and a friend. I don't know if I can love someone because I hate myself."

 

"That's quite.. Straightforward answer."

 

"Right? If I can't take care of myself, how will I put effort on other people? It will scar both of you."

 

"Stop walking, Arete." He looks at her.

 

"Hmm? What is it?"

 

He created a portal and summoned a spear, "this is my weapon when I am still sitting with my heavenly sisters and brothers."

 

"Huh?! Why?! That's too much, Lobin!"

 

"Your heart is like mine and Han's. You can cleanse the world's impurities with this weapon of mine."

 

"But I promised Xian that I will use music to save people!"

 

"You can master both." He smiled, cocky, "Why? Afraid of challenges?"

 

"Me? Hell no! Give that shit over here!" She grabs it and immediately, a fire surrounds her body, but she's not burning, "WOAH!"

 

"I let Han use it when he detects great danger, but I'm officially giving it to you."

 

"... Did you feel bad about my past?"

 

"I'll be in the underworld guarding those peasant dogs if I lie." He sighs, "You experienced that and still have a beautiful heart. You're still in the healing stage but you want to protect people. As a God who loves goodness for humanity, I admire your soul and personality."

 

"... Lobin."

 

"Now accept that as my gift. If Han bugged you about it, just poke his ass with that."

 

".... You're unpredictable. This is literally a God's weapon and you'll use it on that shit?"

 

"Why not?"

 

"It's degrading!"

 

"Not for me though." He shrugged and continued walking.

 

"Is it waterproof?"

 

"Huh?" He furrowed his eyebrows and looked back at her.

 

"I'm still burning, Lobin. Hehe." she said while holding the spear, slanted.

 

He took a deep breath in and out, "you're not burning. The weapon is in the process of recognizing you as its new owner."

 

"Oh... That's why it's warm?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Does this weapon of yours —"

 

"No. Yours."

 

oh Does this weapon of mine have a name?"

 

"Crying Sun's spear. That's what I called it back in the day."

 

"Crying Sun..." She smiles and runs her fingers through the spear, "I love it..."

 

"Mr. Primary use of that spear is to eradicate the impurities of people's souls. Of course, with the permission of the heavens and the God who owns that."

 

"Oh... This is really amazing, Lobin. Are you sure you want me to have this weapon? Aren't you getting carried away?"

 

"No."

 

'Too short for an answer!' She thought, "What's the other use of Crying Sun?"

 

"It gets rid of illusions made by outsiders. Also the delusions made by your mind. You will feel empty as it is sucking on the depth of your brain."

 

"That's kinda scary."

 

"Yes. Crying Sun doesn't depend on a world's natural energy. It reflects on its owner's aura."

 

"So... It will activate by using my capabilities."

 

"You're correct."

 

"But Lobin... Now you know my story... I'm basically weak mentally and having Crying Sun as my weapon... contradicts my decision making."

 

"I know. Trauma doesn't make you stronger. At least for me. My opinion."

 

"...." She holds the spear tightly, still covered in fire.

 

"Trauma makes people weaker than a rat. Do you know what makes them look successful? They dragged themselves out of that problem, dealing with it even though it's not part of their lives. The consequences, the loss.. People received it."

 

"So... You think, I'll drag myself someday and make myself strong?" The spear disappears from her hands.

 

"You are already strong. You need to balance your light and your heart's darkness." Lobin put his hand on her head, "Balance between good and evil  it will create a new path that everyone can walk on."

 

"Thank you, Lobin... I will take that in my heart. But how can I summon the Crying Sun?"

 

"Hmm? Say these words, ‘The sun who served the God of fire, I order you to serve under me and place your loyalty on me, Crying Sun.’, You got it?”

 

She lets out a sigh of relief and a notebook to memorize it later.

 

"Now that you're fired up. Let's get going to that building and defeat the underworld creatures, try to find a way to break the curse to set them free." Lobin's eyes soften as she reminds him of young Han.

 

Back at the house where Faier is guarding the place, he's outside talking to Harcla.

 

"So Faier, you're also from Iryankka based on your stories."

 

"Did you hear all of them? My parents have the best bedtime stories!" He smiled.

 

"I heard you want a new body. Why don't you go to the afterlife and reincarnation?"

 

"... I want to be with everyone." He hugs both of his knees and places his chin on there, "I don't want to forget them."

 

"...."

 

"Harcla, is Lobin — Koryn a nice man?"

 

"I wouldn't say nice. He's not bad. He's on the middle of the scale. He brought justice and judgment. He loves humanity and even visits them almost everyday, leaving his seat in the heavens."

 

"Lobin... I want to be like him."

 

"You do? That's great. Koryn is a great man although he won't say his gratitude since he's too stubborn to admit it."

 

"You're right." The little boy laughs.

Arete and Lobin are already in front of the building. She is the only one who is nervous because Lobin is already an expert in this kind of battle.

 

"Father, forgive me for meddling again with the underworld." Lobin whispered.

 

"The ones who will cry are them." She smirked and stretched her arms, "They don't have souls but I will offer them just to stop this madness."

 

"Sometimes your craziness is a lot to take in."

 

"I'm glad Han is my mentor. He'll go with it."

 

"He's also a mad dog."

 

"Protection from the father. Purity from our hearts." She whispered, "Pacu will welcome pure life after this."

 

"Are you ready, Arete?"

 

"Yes. Let's go and take them down."

 

Both of them opened the door and it glowed, blinding to the naked eyes. Arete's smile didn't fade and it went wider as she saw a black hole in front of them.

 

"Lobin, is our destination the underworld?"

 

"Who knows? If it is... It will be harder for you to come back alive. I'm going in." He walks in and he disappears from her sight.

 

"Will this be a blessing or a curse for me?" She stretched out her hand to the black hole and it sucked her inside.

 

She froze and let the energy control her movement. She closes her eyes, scared of darkness that is in front of her which is ironic. Closing your eyes, darkness will hug your vision.

 

'Han... Xian... Lily... Faier... Everyone... I will continue to help people. I will prove your innocence.' She keeps repeating those words, not letting her fear get into her head.

 

'In sickness. In health. I will stand on top of the world.' A voice said.

 

She opens her eyes and she's outside of Sera. She immediately inhales a lot of breath and holds it.

 

'Greed will turn people against each other.' The voice said it again.

 

'Why am I hearing other people's thoughts? Am I connected to them?' She over-thinks again.

 

'Where are the times when we dreamed of becoming the reason for the change?' The third thing, the voice said.

 

'The more I listen to this, the more my heart aches.' She looks at her side and it's full of rocks and dust. She tried to touch it but was stopped by the barrier of the black hole. She observed it and she's getting farther away from Sera. The place she's going to is beyond each world. She saw planets that books from earth didn't get to illustrate.

 

'Protect... Save... Win... Paradise... I regret everything.'

 

'Why are you grieving? If only I can hug the person behind that voice I will.' She thought to herself, slowly crouching until she hugs her knees.

 

'Is the past never matters? Why are they becoming my enemies? They stole everything! I should kill them all!' 

 

'There's so much emotion in those statements. Will you be able to find redemption if you do that? If the creator is merciful enough, he'll let you restart your life but I know he rarely gives it. Please don't be reckless in making decisions.' Arete tightened her hug on her knees, crying.

 

'Let me live again. I beg you, father of all creations.'

 

‘I can't listen to this anymore. It hurts my heart to hear people suffering. I swore to myself that I will protect the people that I can reach but am I deserving of forgiveness after I killed that man on that specific day?’ She gritted her teeth, digging her nails on her thighs.

 

'A little bit of happiness... Grief... Resentment... Doubts... Is my life worth looking for if being happy isn't in the options? How can I take care of others if I don't know how to project that emotion? They will hate me. They will be afraid. I don't want everyone to leave me. Someone, help me.'

 

She lets go of her legs and covers her ears, 'Stop! Stop talking! Don't make me lose focus on my goal! Bother other people!'

 

'Frozen heart... Frozen tears... Frozen blood... What more do the Gods want from humanity?!'

 

‘Don't blame the Gods for something that humanity became of! Stop talking! Just shut up!’ She tries screaming but no voice comes out of her mouth.

 

"ARETE!"

 

Her eyes were still closed. It's Han. The voice that called her name just now.

 

"WAKE UP, ARETE!"

 

'I'm scared Han... Where are you... Lobin, where are you? Xian, I need you. Lily and Faier please make me lift my spirits.'

 

"ARETE, GO BACK!"

 

'To where?'

 

"ARETE, YOU CAN DO IT!"

 

She finally opened her eyes. She's laying on the ground. She noticed a boat and an unknown person wearing a black coat.

 

"Mortal... Why are you here?" They asked.

 

"... I'm here to save the people from the curse of the spawn point of the underworld." She stands up, wiping the dirt off, looking intimidating.

 

"Well then, I should guide you to your journey. Hop on."

 

"The sun who served the God of fire, I order you to serve under me and place your loyalty on me, Crying Sun." She reaches out at her side and she feels warmth on her right part of the body. The spear is summoned, "Now, if you don't want me to burn you like the dried leaves, guide me to its correct path."

 

"I didn't know such higher up was so aggressive. I was told you're more laid back than before."

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." The moment her feet touch the water, it's like a signal to light it up. In reality, it's not water. It's oil. She uses the end of the spear to hop on the boat without letting go of her bag.

 

"You're quick witted." The person in the coat said before going on the other end of the board and starting sailing.

 

"I don't take compliments from someone who's suspicious of the building I've entered."

 

"Well, you're not wrong at all."

 

Silence enveloped between the unknown person and Arete. When she stepped on the oil, people from above started falling into the fire. She saw demons flying around. It's not like in the television where they're good looking. She concluded, they can do it if you're one of the princes' and other commanders.

 

"Did Koryn arrive earlier?" She asks.

 

"Yes. Lord Koryn busted down this place like he always does. He's talking to our leader."

 

"Is that so?"

 

"Are you one of his allies?"

 

"What is it to you?" She answered back with a question defensively.

 

"It's a rare opportunity to see one of his allies down here. The only one who visited this place was the prodigy and he almost wiped us out."

 

"And who is that?"

 

"The demon by heart and beneath." Then the unknown person pauses, "According to Lord Koryn, anyone from the underworld isn't allowed to speak the prodigy's name."

 

'I have a bad feeling about this.' She gripped onto the spear.

0