Chapter 22
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arete. Go.

 

She heard that voice again. She gave up on resisting the underworld creatures because except for being cornered, the sea of ​​fire absorbed her strength.

 

She noticed black substances starting to crawl to her body, "Shit... I won the fights earlier. I just let my guard down because I saw my dad. I should get rid of my weaknesses. It's holding me back."

 

Some of the revenants are trying to pull her soul out of her body. It's like the light under the ceiling, she keeps on being alive and dead.

 

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

I didn't hide my pain behind a smile and a mask,

But why do I feel heavier than yesterday?

Did I lose my place in my own world?

Or did I let it happen because it doesn't matter anymore?

 

Arete was just singing about the pain in her body. She is losing her clothes because of the sea of ​​fire. She let herself sink in the sea until she went falling deeper.

 

'Han's not here to catch me.' She thought.

 

I tried walking into the light but I got swallowed by darkness,

I searched for the thousands of stars in the sky,

Asking if I deserve to live and if it's not, I'll die,

I hide and run away from it.

 

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

The new reality I've made up,

The lies I have built over the years,

I want to erase my whole existence,

Just what am I going to believe in?

 

Since being born in this world I want a thing called freedom,

Terrified by my past, I want to break into million pieces,

Struck and destroy my heart,

And I'll express my gratitude towards you.

 

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

She closes her eyes as she's accepting her fate. She can feel her muscles and every organ being taken away. A throbbing pain in her brain is slowly disappearing. Maybe, this is the end.

 

Arete, don't sleep eternally.

 

'Who's there? I'm... Tired.'

 

She's careless and forgot Han's lessons and Death's warning when,

 

"ARETE!"

 

She can't open her eyes anymore. She doesn't even have them. Only a tiny soul going to the depths of the underworld when someone warm picked her up. Bringing her back to the surface of the realm.

 

"GUXAV, DO SOMETHING!" It's Lobin. He's holding Arete's soul in his hands. She's sleeping right now and you can tell by her shape that she's exhausted.

 

"YOU CAN RESTORE HER BODY NOT ME!"

 

"OI, THIS IS YOUR REALM! I'M FAR FROM THE LIGHT!"

 

"Ugh. Fine. Give her to me. It's not that late since we just saw her melting."

 

"Here and don't remind me of that. He will be enraged."

 

"Afraid of some mortal? Interesting."

 

"She is—"

 

"I know. Gods will be in shambles if this girl will meet her end."

 

"Isn't it dangerous for you to touch a soul? You're one of the pillars of the underworld."

 

"I can take life right away but I can create one. I can restore her body. Are you willing to wait?"

 

"Of course. She... Arete is my friend."

 

"I see. She's lucky to have my brother as her friend." He summons a needle and thread, a golden one,coming from his own veins along with a one singled hair that acts as a needle

 

"What is that for?"

 

"Oh. I'll make sure her soul won't be in a million pieces when I do the process since it's fragile and sensitive to opposite energy. You can find her body in the sea. I know they are scattered over there."

 

While Guxav's fixing her soul, Lobin gathered her body parts on the sea of ​​fire. They just float there and don't burn or dissolve. It is protected by a barrier. He was no longer surprised and immediately took it to where Guxav was.

 

"Is her body protected by…?" he asked.

 

"Yes." Lobin answered briefly.

A few hours ago Guxav began to fix Arete's body. He only had difficulty in reviving the woman's soul because it was exhausted and her spiritual energy was used up when she was sinking in the sea of ​​fire.

 

Lobin created a barrier for the three of them. He lit a lot of incense to cleanse her body and soul. Deep concentration is necessary for Arete to reach her consciousness and wake up.

 

Lobin killed the monsters that hurt Arete before he arrived. His brother did not stop him.

 

They both waited a few more hours for Arete to wake up and fortunately, she did.

 

".... Am I still in the underworld?" She mumbled, her vision still blurred.

 

"Arete... Thank goodness you're awake." Lobin smiles and sighs in relief.

 

"....Lobin?" She squinted her eyes and luckily her vision came back, "Oh... Did you save me? I was sure I'm already dead."

 

"Well, my brother helped me restore your body." He punches Guxav who's staring at Arete.

 

"Oh... You have a brother? Oh wait..." She blinked several times, "the creator created many to manage one of the resources. It makes sense."

 

"Right? I told you she's still intelligent, Guxav."

 

'Still?' she wanted to ask but she thought she might have heard it wrong.

 

"You..."

 

She looks at Guxav, "You must be the God of the underworld. I came here to ask a favor to you." She said in a straightforward manner.

 

"You are unique. The flow of your spiritual energy is —"

 

"We came here to ask you to remove the curse on people." Lobin cuts him off, "Actually Arete, I've already told him that but it's different when you're here."

 

"Oh... You waited?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Alright." She sits down and looks at Guxav once again, "The two generals who are managing the whole Ridav city died in the ambush made by politicians. They became revengeful ghosts and I'm suspecting that the third one, the nobleman, is behind all of this because the leaders that were elected to the position are doing the same sacrificing rituals. Pacu doesn't have a leader. It's like a different nation where there's democracy. Pacu became the district that suffers all the consequences of what the leaders do."

 

Guxav, ".... You're right."

 

Lobin, "?!"

 

Guxav stood up, "They were in between living and death. They have the opportunity to start a new life. Instead, they came here and asked for my help. They wanted to turn into hellish creatures to avenge their unjust deaths. I told them the consequences and they were blind by rage. Of course, they didn't mind the innocents' lives. There's a portal to the underworld but this one is a spawn point for my men. I also cursed because too much democracy leads them to corruption ."

 

"Also Lobin mentioned to me that the half recurring of the demonic energy was made by Han's friends. Is that true?"

 

"....." Guxav looked at Lobin for permission and the other nodded, "Well... The prodigy's friend casts a spell that each world will suffer the same way Iryankka did after she dies."

 

"... That doesn't explain anything. Lobin. told me already. What did Xian do?" She turns at the man.

 

"Let's go back to the topic. We need to save the people of Pacu."

 

"Lobin!"

 

"Arete, be professional."

 

"... What do you want us to do for you to remove the curse at Pacu?" Arete asks. It was against her will to change the subject.

 

"Kill everyone who is not repentant. I need supplies for my men's food. Maybe workers. The Underworld is pretty uncrowded. I miss the old days."

 

She extended her hand and smiled, "I thought you would be more relaxed than your brother. I loved your condition."

 

"Are you killing people? You're calm."

 

"I don't mind killing people but I need a valid reason for me to do it."

 

"Sounds about right." He accepted it and grinned, "offer those souls to me and I'll let those mortals go."

 

"Well... It’s not the right  time for us to go back Isn’t it ?" She turns to Lobin.

 

"Did you use Crying Sun properly?"

 

"Yes. I defeated monsters on my way then some ghoul tricked me and here we are, one scenario where I'm almost dead." She answered nonchalantly.

 

"Arete." Lobin calls her with seriousness in his voice.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Your body is protected by some magic. Someone has been protecting you that's why you're still alive. Don't abuse that."

 

"Huh?"

 

"Your body is in the sea of ​​fire. They're not melting off. Instead, it's floating and the barrier around wasn't even going to break. You need to know who you are."

 

"I'm perfectly aware of who I am, Lobin."

 

"Is that your mortal name?" Guxav interrupted the conversation.

 

"Yes. Now shut up." Lobin rolls his eyes.

 

"You... Huh..."


"Why would I explore myself if I know exactly what happened to me when I was a child huh? I have dead parents. I grew up in an orphanage. I experienced some horrible events. I became an adult whose paycheck isn't even enough for the monthly bills. And  I also killed a person for stalking and trying to do something against me. What else is there to know? Tell me." She took steps forward to him, glaring at Lobin.

 

"Is your spiritual energy was good enough for you to know another truth about yourself? You went to the Palace of Wisdom with the help of the orange moon which happens every five hundred years. You activated the portal to each world."

 

".... Fine. I admit my defeat, but I will not ask you about it. I must learn it through my journey. Asking a God is a form of cheating." She looks away.

 

"You really have a way with your words, brother." Guxav said in awe.

 

"Of course I do. I'm Koryn after all." He handed the Crying Sun to Arete, "I believe you, I have your weapon."

 

"Crying Sun!" She immediately hugs it and the weapon lights up, as if greeting its new owner, "some ghoul stole it! I was worried that it would be used for some deeds."

 

"Crying Sun is faithful to its owner. It wouldn't lend its power if the one who's holding it, was not the master." Lobin stares at his former weapon and smiles, "it's yours. I gave you my blessing."

 

Guxav, "So... She's a fire manipulator?"

 

"My brat trained her to be all around like him."

 

"But isn't she —"

 

"Your mouth is running endlessly like the waterfalls, brother. We should be going now." Lobin grabs Arete's arm, not too tight or too loose.

 

"Gods have secrets, huh?" She looks at him, slightly pouting.

 

"Of course. Humanity has limitations."

 

"I know. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes that we're in a fight."

 

"That's considerate of you. By the way... Thank you."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Well... I took some of your words to my heart and had a talk with my brother. Guxav, one of the lords in the underworld, is the closest to me when I'm still doing my duty as Koryn. After protecting Han and his group, we drifted apart from each other."

 

"In some way, I helped you?"

 

"Yes. And your soul is worn out from interacting with the underworld's hellish fire but you still fought to live. Han... He will lose his mind again if he loses one more person."

 

".... Don't worry. Even death will come to fetch me, I'll crawl back to the world of living. I have a purpose."

 

"Your bravery is a result of both naivety and passion, but I respect you."

 

"You don't need to. We're equal now you're living as one of the humans. Besides, you're my friend. A straightforward and brutal friend." She laughs.

 

".... Well, you're crazy and sometimes short tempered."

 

"Thank you for the compliment, Koryn."

 

Lobin opens a portal right in front of the black hole where they entered for the first time. The two of them entered and the man chanted, creating a magic circle and a platform to sit on while they traveled back to Sera.

 

"I don't know how many weeks or months had passed since Guxav was restoring your body. I hope those three are fine."

 

"Harcla is with them. Don't you trust him?"

 

"I do, but there have been many interventions in the past, that's why I'm kinda nervous."

 

"Oh.. Speaking from your experiences. I don't get it but I still appreciate that you told me about it."

 

"I just thought that now you're my friend, you should know what's on my mind."

 

"Not all of it, okay? I should give you a room for privacy."

 

"You're too respectful, Arete."

 

"You know, I'm really respectful because everyone on Earth told me that in order to be successful, I need to please people. Whatever they say and do, I musn’t  look at it. I should annoyed by it and continue on what I'm told to do."

 

"That's messed up."

 

"Yes. They're blind for the sake to have money. To provide the needs of their family. Earth is full of twisted people."

 

"So Earth is beyond saving."

 

"At this point, yes." She clenched her fist, looking at the Crying Sun, "Do you think... I'll be able to be a good master of this spear like you?"

 

"Yes. I'll train you."

 

"...Really?"

 

"If Han let me."

 

Her shoulders dropped faster than a roller coaster ride, "of course he wouldn't allow this. He will think, you're jealous that you don't have a student or an apprentice."

 

"That brat was my student. He even fainted when he learned that I'm a God." He mentioned with smugness.

 

"So... Han was like a pure boy back then?"

 

"Of course. He's hopeful and sometimes clumsy. Jayen and Xian are the strongest when he still skips classes."

 

"WHAT?! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" She laughs hysterically, "Han? Skipping classes? He's perfect, Lobin! He has a high dignity!"

 

"Perfect? ​​Hah. My foot." He brushes his hair elegantly, "that brat made a maze underground of the academy, making a secret path to hangout with the adventurers and merchants."

 

"So he's dirty once he gets out?! That's too funny!"

 

"Yes. He even uses dirt to cover his noticeable features."

 

After settling down, Arete wipes her tears, "What is Jayen like? I want to know him too."

 

"Jayen? He loves music and staying under the wisteria tree planted in the middle of the academy. He loves reading and writing poems. He always wears a smile on his face, but he can be cruel."

 

"How so?"

 

"Jayen is loyal to the academy. Whatever they ordered him to do, he will do it. Between the three of them, Jayen is more experienced on the battlefield."

 

"Oh... It seems like you don't want to be on his bad side."

 

"Exactly. He has thousands of facades, but now, it's Han."

 

"Well... Once we find Jayen and the others, everything will be fixed."

 

"I hope so." Lobin looks at the world of Sera that is approaching, "we're getting closer."

 

"Lobin."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"When will you tell me about Xian and her wrongdoings?"

 

"Someday. It seems like you are attached to her since you've been into that place."

 

"...."

 

"Xian is kind. That's the only thing I can tell you for now."

 

"All right. I won't pressure you any longer."

 

They waited for hours or maybe days before they landed on Ridav. They start traveling again to Pacu. What Lily had said about Han and Arete being criminals after destroying the public market is true. There are wanted posters on the walls and stalls.

 

The two of them aren't making any flashy movements nor speeches. Coincidentally, they met the carter who brought them to Pacu. He was surprised to see them alive and asked about the condition of the people. They made a short summary and of course, the man was stunned to find out that there's still a way for the district to become normal again.

 

"Arete... It's been a month since I met you and your friends. You told me that there's a solution and that's enough for me to give you this." The carter handed her the guqin. It was well made and the weight isn't that heavy. It's suitable for a woman like her to bring it in a fight.

 

"Thank you... Thank you so much... I... We will save everyone." She said in tears, 'Xian... I can sing the songs you've taught me. You will be proud of me, right?'

 

"Guqin as your instrument? What will you do? Smack the enemies in the head — OW!" Lobin massages his head when Arete literally hits him with the instrument.

 

"Of course. If my music doesn't work, I'll get physical."

 

"You have the Crying Sun! Don't ruin such a beautiful instrument!"

 

"Fine! Fine!" She makes him hold the instrument. From the cloth that is hanging on the cart, she made it like a bag for the guqin and carried it in her back, "Easy peasy!"

 

"I wonder if you will have a backache."

 

"Only if I have the wrong posture. Stop making my head hurt. Even my veins are there, you can make it beat like my heart. It means, I'm stressed."

 

"Right now? I'll add more of that later." He hums as he enters the gate of Pacu district.

 

She turns to the carter, "I'll save everyone and you will be able to live here again."

 

"Thank you, Arete." He smiled.

 

Gripping on her spear, with a serious look on her face, she enters the district without hesitation.

0