Ancient Chapter 19
190 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19 ("important" announcements at the end of the chappy)

The day after the auction “incident”, the nine otherworlders went speaking to Brook city’s lord in order to provide a decent housing and daily necessities in order to help them recover from the shock. They were bringing with them some of the slaves, mainly the children and those courageous enough to overcome their fear of armed people.

Upon coming in the courtroom, most of the overcome shrank while noticing the Knights guarding the man sitting in the center of the wide room. The lord of the city was sat on a lightly raised and ornamented chair. It was far form being a throne but it was enough to represent the power the lord had in Brook. One of the knights at his side announced the newcomers. “Lord Sigmar, here are the B-ranked adventurers party the “Otherworlders” and a part of the former illegal slaves. They requested an audience from you, please hear them out.”

“I never expected that the black market’s business was entangled so deep in my city. To let a whole auction take place under my nose… I’m truly sorry.” At these words, lord Sigmar stood up and gave a slight bow toward the dumbfounded slaves.

“Also, I have to thank you, adventurers, for saving them.”

Gwyneth, the former teacher precised. “We merely took them out of a ruined building. Your praises are wasted on us.”

“What do you mean?” The lord was intrigued.

“It’s an acquaintance of us that purged the brothel, taking great care to not harm the slaves. He even went out of his way to not kill the prostitutes that were “working” unwillingly in the upper floors.”

“Isn’t it the most common practice to take care to not involve innocents in one’s business ?”

Farah answered instead of her teacher. “I… think that after we parted ways he got in a lot of troubles and that his value of people’s life is hum… messed up if you would allow me to speak it like this.”

Eyrinn’s nod approved wholeheartedly to Farah’s guess. She was grabbing her hand firmly. Her gesture caught Farah’s attention. She promised herself that she would pry into it later.

“Is that so? So, who kindly wrapped up in one night the task that many adventurers and soldiers failed?”

Lion answered. “He is Kyle. Also known as the S-ranked adventurer, his title is the ‘Dusk’s Angel’.”

“Isn’t he the one that shone brightly during the monster flood? I really need to thank him. Do you know where I can find him?”

Gwyneth spoke again. “His current whereabouts are unknown but he asked Svanta-san some questions about the black market. If I had to guess, I would say that he has a grudge against the black market and is probably headed to the capital city by now.” Only Farah noticed the disheartened complexion Eyrinn made at these words. “Back to the main point of our venue, would it be possible to ask you to provide daily necessities for the former slaves in order to let them be slowly used to the normal life. And if it is possible to find any of their acquaintances’ whereabouts it would be great.”

“I will do my best to ensure their safety for as long as they need it. It’s the least I can do.”

**

In the evening, Farah was brushing Eyrinn’s white hair while she asked her. “Why do you look so attached to Kyle-kun?”

The little dark elf took some time before replying. “He is strong. If he was there, he could have saved my parents.”

“… I’m sorry to have made these painful memories come back in your head. It was tactless.”

“It’s nothing, I found a new pillar.”

Farah continued her combing for a few minutes before asking again. “Why did you looked like you knew why Kyle-kun was like he is now?”

“Because he got through something similar to me.”

“Could you explain?”

“When you live like… I lived these last months, either you have something to hold on or you break. I had nothing before seeing him. He had also nothing but didn’t break. But now he isn’t drowned in hatred. He found something or someone he wanted to protect and now he stood there, in front of me, full of will and power. He is the embodiment of what I want to be. Not because he is scary or anything like that but because he freed himself from his shackles.”

“… That’s a surprisingly deep thought for a ten years old girl. I think I understand now.”

“Do you know for what purpose he fights?”

“I think it’s for Yukina… and for the sake of his sister.”

**

At the same time, Yukina and Kyle were slowly walking southward, toward the capital Swordhold.

They were walking hand in hand even though Yukina wasn’t able to take a physical form. It just showed at which point they were synchronized. Yukina suddenly opened her mouth while watching the sunset.

“One month ago, I would have laughed if someone said me that this world was beautiful. Perhaps it isn’t really rotten.”

Kyle looked at her face, a smile in the corner of his mouth. It was strangely bending the scars on his cheeks.

“The dawn would be much paler if you were lonely.”

She chuckled. “That’s the experience that talks here.”

“Let’s settle here for now, the night is sacred.”

“Tomorrow we will have to choose between two paths to reach Swordhold.”

“Now that you mention it, it’s true. Well, I will take the shortest. The quickest, the best, as always.”

“Yes, we need to learn more about those High-elves. They are probably the key to our exit door.”

“My brain has spoken. And as always you are right.”

They laughed lightly under the first star that peeked in the sky.

 

Announcement

Hi there, Gwenis the lazy but optimized beginner author reporting!

So, some new concerning the future release schedule. I don't know for other countries but where I am,  in France, I will have two weeks of holidays in order to open some good ol' gifts cheer for Jesus' birth. I will post a bonus chapter for the 24 or 25 december but aside from this one, the release schedule during these two weeks will be pretty random because I bought myself Dark Souls 3 and I wanna cough up blood I have a lot of homework. Yes a lot :')

So, to sum it up, pray for me to finish quickly the lord of cinders!

As always, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. It was a little shorter than the average but we will be back to the action next year. If you feel like it, feel free to comment or give me a little heart. I'm a really special kind of human that feeds upon these little thinggies. :blobnomcookie:

Anyway, enough of my useless rambling. See ya soon!

 

5