Ancient Chapter 25.5 First Lesson
102 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First Lesson

I wasn't able to post any chapters last week, I had to take care of the last journey of a relative so the week was kinda busy.

Also, I felt like I needed to make some explanations concerning the magic system of the world and some of its particularities. So here is the first part of a serie of chapters that will be put out when I feel like it. It takes place during our dear reincarnator's years at the Swordhold academy. I hope it will solve some of the points left dark and which can't be explained because of the silent nature of our dear MC :)

I should post at least two chapters this week. I wish you a good time reading the First Lesson.

 

Gwyneth, Farah, Lion and the otherworlders were feeling a bit restless. Today was their first real class day at the Swordhold academy and their expectations were high. They were currently sitting on the large wooden benches that filled a huge amphitheater. Around fifty other students were taking their seats in the room and there was clearly room for more students if the need ever arose. Small chatters where filling the place, revealing the general anxiety and eagerness of the new batch of students admitted at the prestigious academy.

Lyann was awkwardly fiddling with his leather bracers, fixing the entrance door of the classroom. "I wonder what kind of teacher we will get."

Gwyneth laughed a bit. "It's been a while since I've last been in this side of the bench. I almost forgot what it is like."

Krone was opening her mouth to add her comment but was suddenly interrupted by the opening of said door. A short grey-haired man entered.

He was wearing an ornamented blue robe. The different shades of blue looked as they were shimmering and colliding between each other, adding a magic vibe to his otherwise rather plain clothes. He put an unruly strand of hair behind his ear and glanced at the group of newcomers with his strikingly blue eyes. His attire looked really pale once compared to this electric blue.

The professor put himself behind his desk before facing his students and introducing himself. "Good morning to all of you." His voice was composed and warm, quite unfitting of his apparent age. "I am the archmage and teacher Chilme Palareff. You can refer to me either as teacher or as Mr. Palareff." He paused an instant, scanning his students again. "Since you have already introduced yourselves yesterday after the entrance ceremony, let's get straight to the point." He took a deep breath. "Since I am an archmage, I will teach you the ways and secrets of the magic.

As you all know, each and every living being in this world possess a reserve of magic called mana pool. Its size can greatly vary between the species and the individuals but everyone has one. Since you were admitted at the Academy, it means that you all have an above average mana pool. Magic is amazing, it can bend the elements and even the fabric of the reality itself to you will if you are strong enough. But, in this case, why is magic so scarce in the world?"

A student at the back of the amphitheater raised her hand, answering with a bit of nervousness. "If it's true that every living being on the Continent has a mana pool, it vary largely between species and individuals. Moreover, the mana recovery capacity of said living beings is really slow, making these kind of spells theoretically impossible. These rules also include humanoid races."

"As the miss said, we are fundamentally restricted in our usage of magic. This is why we use elemental magic instead, but I will come back to it later." Palareff took a deep breath, preparing himself for his monologue. "Let's start with the most fundamental form of magic. It took lots of names through history but is mostly known as "mana manipulation" or "mana control". Every living being can use it to materialize its mana in the physical world and bend it to its will, manipulating his flow of mana like a new limb. The possibilities are endless, truly the ultimate form of magic. But! Because there is always a but. Its consumption/materialization ratio is awful. I would need to empty my entire mana pool to summon a simple chair. Well, "mana control" has still a redeeming point. It is used by every magic warrior to increase their physical performances by weaving the mana in the tissue of their muscles, bones and skin."

Palareff took a sip of the coffee that was slowly cooling down on his desk. "Which brings me to the main point of this introduction. The humanoid races have always sought better ways to use their mana. And after hundreds of years of research, they finally found that converting their raw mana to elemental mana allowed a much much better consumption ratio. This, is the basis of every actual spell.

What I will teach you during the seven upcoming years, it's to efficiently use already existing spells and, in the end, create your own spells that fit your personalities." He concluded his speech. "This is my and your goal during all the hours we will spend together in the upcoming decade. I hope you will enjoy delving in the depth of the magic arcana as much as I did and do."

Every student present in the amphitheater was hanging to his lips, entranced by his passionate speech. Still, Palareff had to break the magic in order to finish his lesson. "Does anyone has questions? I am willing to answer as much as I can."

The same girl that answered his question earlier raised her hand. "If, by any chance, there was a being powerful enough to use proficiently the "mana control", what would happen."

Palareff's complexion lost a bit of his light. "Then, we hope that it is a total idiot or we better put ourselves in its good side. We wouldn't want the Continent to drown in its own blood."

This time, the class ended with a mixed feeling of exaltation, eagerness and slight anxiety.

 

4