Ancient Chapter 26
97 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 26

    Krone slowly woke up. She and the other otherworlders came back to the capital Swordhold yesterday evening and the journey, if not really tiring, still took its toll on everyone. She was laying on her bed,  a hand covering her eyes from the rising sunset, and thinking to nothing and simultaneously everything like she always loved to do.

    Her thoughts were jumping from serious subjects to wild fantasies, bringing her occasionally some internal laughter at the funny scenarios she was imagining. Her mind was slowly bringing her back to the few most striking events of these last weeks. It was replaying in her scene the mess at the auction, trying to reconstruct the scene before she and her companions arrived. What had caused this explosion? How come the assault looked like it came from inside and not outside?  Why were all slaves spared by Kyle? Why the later left without a word upon their arrival? Krone’s mind was enjoying creating different possibilities.

    Then, it took her a little more back in time, when she was having her first large-scale battle. She and her friend, watching each others’ backs while striking the flow of monsters. The impacts that sounded in irregular, rapid successions, hinting at both the spells used by the mages. And the much more imposing striking sounds, almost visibles, coming from the other side of the battlefield.

    She saw their perpetrator during a split second, which felt like eternity thanks to her use of Time Magic. Swirling strikes, both magical and physical, cutting in halves the weaker monsters and the strongest ones’ bones to mush. Chantless magic and rough, brutal and incredibly quick strikes. He was slashing with his sword, striking with his arm, launching arrows of piercing dark swirling mana and every monster around him felt a sentiment usually unheard off by them: fear. 

    Then, her mind forcibly drew her attention toward some points of details. Kyle’s magic was chantless, his movements both quick and strong, almost like they weren’t really affected by the law of inertia. 

Then, Krone remembered. During the fight against the leader of the monsters. The self-called Golgomath. Kyle fired a magic unheard off until now. A beam of pure magical power, without any visible attribute, that carved the ground like if it was butter.

The gears in her mind started. Creaking at first, they finally unleashed their potential and brought to her a conclusion that seemed obvious now that she realized it. She suddenly sat up in her bed, not caring anymore about the blinding light of the almost horizontal sunrays. She shouted: “Mana control!”

Farah and Saryn, who were sleeping in the same inn room jolted awake because of their friend.

A groan coming from Saryn was followed by a question. “Gnnh, what is it Krone…? You aren’t the kind who pulls of some lame waking jokes.” Farah managed to approve her friend even though her head was still nodding from just being woken up, a typical anime bubble hanging from her nose.

“I know what kind of power Kyle-kun use!”

Farah interrupted her. “Great, great. But, can you lower your voice? I know you are excited and all that, but it isn’t you style.”

Krone did as she was asked, a somewhat contrite expression plastered on her face. Though the later quickly faded when she spoke again. “You know we were wondering what kind of magic he was using. His unusual might, chantless and elementless magic, obviously self-taught but still deadly fighting styles. None of these things made sense.”

Saryn replied tiredly. “We already pondered plenty on these subjects, without any definitive answer.”

“I bet he uses the famous “mana control”.”

“... But, this needs a tremendous amount of mana.”

Krone took a second to think. “Perhaps his gift has something to do with it? I don’t know this far. But I’m sure he uses “mana control”. It’s the only way to show off these kind of powers.”

Farah laughed a bit. “And so you woke up your two friends to announce them this?”

Krone blushed a bit. “I-I’m sorry, the idea seemed so evident to me that I forgot where I was.”

“I’m sure Saryn and I will forgive you… If you prepare us a breakfast in bed, that is.”

Saryn laughed a bit, brushing off the rebuttal Krone was preparing to utter. “Since we are all awake and good, let’s take said breakfast. I heard the cook has a knack in making delicious morning meals.”

The three of them nodded before dressing up and going out of their bedroom, toward a wholesome meal in with the rest of their team.


Kyle was suddenly taken out of his thoughts by a sudden urge to sneeze.


General Vordt was fiddling with a piece of paper. His subordinate, the captain Darius, had brought him some incredible news two days ago, and he was now holding in his hands the letter meant to be sent to the adventurer Kyle.

He had to refer to the Consortium, the ruling authority in the Continent, regarding this matter and he was already seeing nobles of all kinds laying their eyes on the successful adventurer. If some were benevolents, others were surely much more selfish. In the end, the Consortium agreed to the proposition of the S-rank and gave to Vordt the commandment of the rest of the operation.

What gave now a headache to the dutiful general was a conflict of conscience. On one hand, he wasn’t able to overlook this chance he had to break the stalemate with the Blood Flag. But in the other hand, he was putting a potentially unstable element between the hands of a bunch of people that liked not having their power undermined.

Vordt turned one more time the letter between his hands before calling his faithful attendant. “Seras, please send this letter to the captain Darius. He needs to bring it to the adventurer Kyle Dawnstar as soon as possible. He should still reside at the Sleeping Giant Inn.”

“I shall do as you wish, general.”

“You know, I already said it but you can speak to me on a more casual speech. We pretty much spend half our days working together.” Vordt was sighing.

“Alright general, I will send the letter to Darius then.” She beamed a smile at her superior before leaving the office.

“Aaah. I feel like I sigh way too much lately.” Vordt pinched his nose before going to the training ground to do some light warm-up.


The afternoon of the same day, the captain Darius was standing before the counter of the Sleeping Giant Inn. He was speaking with Ellie.

“Shop owner, I have to hand over in person a letter to Kyle Dawnstar. Can you tell me where he is?”

“Hum sure, I think he is still in his room. The room three.”

“Thank you, shop owner.”

“Always a pleasure.” Ellie laughed a bit at the rather stiff attitude of the captain. And the later took up the stairs.

While standing in front of the third bedroom, Darius heard some voices, as if more than one persons were having a conversation. Then, the sounds ceased, and Kyle’s voice resonated.

“You can enter, the door is open.”

Darius stiffened before doing as it was asked.

“I see you have the personal request.”

“Y-yes, I came personally to hand it over, orders of the general Vordt.”

“Is that so.” Kyle took the letter and opened it after briefly shaking hands with the soldier. He took a quick glance before continuing. “Well, you can count me in tomorrow.”

Darius felt a bit relieved, even though he knew Kyle was going to accept. After all, he was the one who asked it in the first place. “If I may ask, were you speaking to someone earlier?”

Kyle threw him a side glance. “No, not at all.” There was enough confidence in his voice to make the guard doubt his memory.

Darius suddenly remembered something. “Ah! Also, the general told me to be careful of the Consortium. They aren’t particularly harmful but they set their eyes on you. They could bring you some trouble.”

“Then please thank the general Vordt for his warning. I hope they will not bother me, I don’t have time to waste mindlessly.” Kyle sat on his bed. “If there is nothing else, you may leave. We will see again tomorrow for the assault.”

“Y-yes! Have a nice day, Kyle Dawnstar.”

The later glanced at him. “Heh, you too.”

Darius exited the room, not forgetting to close the door and soon, left the inn with a bottle of booze. Tomorrow was going to be a rough day.

 

Aaand here is another chapter! I will perhaps post another one tomorrow but it isn't sure so don't take this statement as engraved in stone.

I hope you enjoyed it like I enjoyed writing it. And as always, if you feel like it you can leave a comment or show me some love by hitting the hearty pinky button~~

Gwenis, the Optimized Laziness.

5