Arc 2. Chapter 2-6
450 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The letter arrived two days later. Lucas was the one who received it, and he promptly took me aside so we could read it together.

“So, we have an official invitation to Ezekiel’s house so he can ‘checkup’ on my condition” I said while looking at Lucas, frowning slightly. “What now?”

“Now, we tell your parents” he answered simply, as if it really was that easy. I sighed, having no other option as we discussed the best way to bring up the letter. We decided to do it after dinner, when my parents were done for the day and tired enough they wouldn’t put too much of a fight. Once that was decided, we proceeded with our day as normal, though I couldn’t help but feel the tension all over my body as I waited for the time to come.

When it did, it went just as good as expected.

“I’m going with you” mom proclaimed, crossing her arms with a stubborn frown on her face. It was already after dinner and Thomas was sleeping. When Lucas brought up the letter mother looked displeased despite not saying anything, but when he read it that’s when she couldn’t contain herself anymore.

I reacted quickly, knowing she was going to be the first to complain. “It’s just a checkup. Lucas said he will accompany me, and since he knows Ezekiel better and considering how secretly necromancers act, the less people, the better.”

“I will accompany you two” she repeated. I frowned, but Lucas spoke before I could.

“Diane, although I think the same as you and that you should come with us, unfortunately what Elaine said it’s the truth. It would be better with less people involved.”

“Better for whom? Why should I trust that man with anything regarding my daughter? It’s strange enough we were never told what exactly happened to her in that place, but to make everything worse, he’s a necromancer. I’m not allowing either of you to go to him without an adult, regardless of how much you say you trust him.”

“Lucas has known him since he was small! Besides, he’s the one that saved my life back then, and the only one who can properly tell if I’m getting better or not!”

“But of what?” dad asked, talking for the first time. His arms were crossed and his brows furrowed, but he didn’t look hostile like mom, more like just puzzled. “What exactly did he do to save your life? What happened there that put your life in danger in the first place?”

Silence followed his question. Honestly, to not be asked that for over three months was already too much luck, sooner or later they would become too curious or a situation would arise that made them question me about it, but even if so much time had passed, I still didn’t feel like I could tell them.

So, I went with the truth. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Are we supposed to just accept that, then?” mom shook her head. “Oh, I don’t think so. You’re asking to go to a necromancer on your own to get a checkup, whatever that is supposed to mean, and you won’t even tell us for what?”

“I don’t want to talk about it” I repeated, this time a bit more forcefully. “Listen, maybe one day I’ll be prepared to tell you, but I don’t want to do that right now. Can’t you just trust me when I say I need to go see this necromancer? That he won’t do anything bad to me or Lucas?”

“It’s not that we don’t trust you, Elaine…” dad started saying, but he was interrupted by mom.

“So we just let you go and wait for you to come back? If you ever come back? I don’t like this at all, there’s already a precedent and I’ll be dead before I let you out of this house without one of us to make sure you’re not in danger again!”

“I’m twelve already! Stop acting as if I can’t do anything without supervision! If I’m telling you that you can’t come with us, it’s for a reason!” I exploded. It was definitely not a smart move on my part, but the whole situation was getting me pretty agitated. Not only that, but I was angry too. Twelve years old was already a good enough age to start making decisions on my own. Plenty of children my age even worked and earned money for their families! What did she think she could do if she accompanied us, anyway? She was even more useless than me when it came to magic, and her half-baked self-defense would do her no favors if something truly went wrong. If I lost control of the demon and it attacked her, she would stand no chance!

Unaware of my inner turmoil, mother unfolded her arms and slammed her hands on the table, showing her temper had finally come out. “As if I care about that! Last time you left this house without your father and me, you almost died! Why should we let you leave to some unknown place all on your own?”

“And what are you going to do if you come? What good will you do? I can take care of myself! And I won’t be alone! Lucas will come with me!”

“What if something happens to the two of you?”

“What can possibly happen?”

“Anything!” she hissed, leaning over so her face was just centimeters from my own. “It doesn’t matter if you’re twelve or twenty! One time was enough; we won’t let you be in danger ever again!”

“Must I remind you that one time you’re talking about happened because the two of you decided to sell me to some shady stranger?! If someone is to blame because I have to go now to get a checkup it’s you two! You couldn’t protect me then, and you won’t protect me now! It’s your fault I almost died!”

And that was the end of the discussion. Instinctively, mom backed away, her face reflecting surprise and horror, and, to be perfectly honest, I was pretty horrified at myself as well.

Needless to say, my outburst completely destroyed any chance at a proper conversation.

“Do what you want” mom said, her voice barely audible, before standing up and leaving the kitchen. I lifted an arm to stop her, but she was too fast for me. As she left, a deafening silence settled in the room. I could see Lucas fidgeting by my side, but I was too much of a coward to look at my father’s expression. Instead, I just glanced down.

It’s not like I blamed my parents for what they did. I knew better than anyone that they really were left between a rock and a hard place, and that they were not proud of it by any extension of the word. They had even apologized to me repeatedly, and tried to make it up so many times, so why did I bring that out now? When I thought everything was settled and we could continue living together like always?

My thoughts were cut short by the voice of my father, who spoke calmly enough not to startle me.

“I’m sorry about everything, Elaine.”

“…”

“I’m not going to justify or make excuses for any of our past actions, but I just want you to know we, your mother and I, do trust you and your judgment. It’s just… we are worried. We know it’s our fault what happened to you that time, but it’s exactly for that reason that we don’t want to make the same mistake again.”

“Dad… it’s not your… it’s not your fault… I shouldn’t have said that…” I said, chancing a small glance his way. He caught my eyes and gave me a gentle smile.

“Ah, well, I’m not gonna lie and say it doesn’t hurt, but I know we had a part in… whatever happened to you back then, so I can’t really say anything” he sighed, and I felt the compulsion to apologize profusely, but he talked again before I could. “Tell me; is it really necessary for you to go?”

I pursed my lips, unsatisfied, but nodded. “It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say it’s life or death for me.”

“I see… And you really can’t allow one of us to accompany you?” I nodded again, this time not averting my eyes from his. He hummed, before looking at Lucas. He straightened in his chair and stood to attention. “Lucas, you know a little bit of magic, right?”

“I…” he was surprised. He looked at me but I shook my head, equally astounded. I had not said anything about magic to my parents. Seeing this, dad chuckled.

“It’s not that difficult to figure it out. After all, the viscount was famous for being a powerful mage, and, if you have contact with a necromancer, then it’s just adding two plus two. So?”

“I… am a little adept at magic, yes” Lucas confessed in the end. Dad nodded.

“What type?”

“Wind magic. I can mutate it to lightning.”

“Ah, good, good, you’ll be able to defend yourself on the way there. Make sure to keep Elaine safe, alright? I’m counting on you.”

“Ah, I…” Lucas started fumbling, but I didn’t pay attention to that.

“Dad, you mean…?” I asked, hopeful but afraid of being so. Dad sighed again.

“I know a lost battle when I see one. I’ll talk to your mother, but… promise me one thing Elaine” he said with a serious expression. I gave him my undivided attention. “Please return safely. The two of you” he added, looking at Lucas, who was still flustered by… I don’t know, being asked to protect me? Whatever.

“I’ll do my best” I said, not trusting in the situation enough to make that promise, with Lucas just nodding along. Dad noticed, but he said nothing, and we wrapped up the night after making plans on transportation, money, and approximately how long it would take us to get there and back.

The morning of the day after tomorrow we were ready to depart.

 

Back again. Got a bad case of Covid but now I'm better... kinda. Sorry for the wait.

22