Arc 1. Chapter 1-9
4.1k 22 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The place I was taken to was very nice.

It was a guest room in a noble’s house, so I assumed that, compared to the rooms of the main family, it wasn’t that sophisticated. Regardless, it could have passed as a five star hotel room without any difficulty.

The bed was big and looked soft and fluffy. It was a four post bed with a canopy occupying center space in the room. In each side there was a nightstand. On the wall directly across the entrance there was an ample door covered with white curtains, leading to a balcony, I suppose. In front of the bed there was a vanity mirror, and then on my right side in the wall across the balcony there was an armoire of thick, durable wood.

Nothing compared to my small cell from before, right? I think this room alone has the size of my entire house. How unfair life is, really.

“What do you think?” Lucas asked, walking inside. By the way, he was still holding my hand so I reflexively followed him, taking account of everything. “We haven’t had guests for a few years, so the rooms were all uncared-for. I had the servants bring new sheets and clean everything. There are even clothes in the armoire and towels” he turned to look at me, this time with a sheepish expression. “So, do you like it?”

“Does it matter if I like it or not? I’m just a prisoner.”

Lucas visibly deflated upon hearing my words. Oh, come on.

“I thought…” he murmured something I couldn’t catch, but before I could ask him what he said, he took notice of our held hands, and… blushed.

Like a little girl with a crush. Pathetic.

I took my hand from his before he could. I can do without the romance-esque scenes, thank you very much.

He cleared his throat, avoiding my eyes. “The door there leads to the washing room. I had a tub prepared for you, and there must be a maid waiting there. She will help you with everything you need.”

“Thanks… I guess.”

He frowned, and I almost thought he would have the audacity to complain, but apparently he thought better of it, because he chose to ignore me and looked at the guards that had been following us since the courtyard. “Max, Edmund, you will take turns keeping watch over miss… the lady here. I leave the order to you. Please do not leave her alone unless she needs to go to the washing room or change clothes, in which case Emily will take care of it. Is that understood?”

The two guards responded affirmatively, and Lucas smiled, satisfied.

“Perfect, in that case, I’ll leave you for now. I’ll come back later when you finish bathing. Dinner should be ready by then.”

“Elaine.”

“Huh?”

“My name is Elaine” I repeated, glaring at him, though without much energy. I was, after all, drained both physically and mentally. Lucas blinked a few times, and then, realizing what I said, he blushed. A blush of embarrassment.

Oh yeah buddy, I heard your mistake there with the miss and lady.

Lucas just stared at me for another second, before, finally, nodding, looking extremely uncomfortable. Good. If I’m going to suffer, then he must too.

“My name is Lucas. Lucas de la Rosa” he said after a few seconds.

“I know. I heard your brother calling you that a little ago” at the mention of his brother, Lucas winced.

“Mathias, that’s his name. Please don’t think badly of him. He’s actually a really good person, it’s just that…”

“Oh, yeah, he’s so good he’s willing to sacrifice an innocent girl for his own selfish reasons. You too, must be really good, giving me a nice bedroom to clear your guilty conscience” I was being caustic, I knew that, but suddenly the irritation that had been building since that very morning when Sebastian came knocking on my door, offering my parents money, exploded. I could tell Lucas was surprised, by his big eyes and open mouth. I didn’t care. Then, the guards took a step forward, a fierce glare in their eyes, and I scoffed at them too. “Oh, what are you going to do? Hit me? Go on, I think exactly the same of you. Knowing what your master is up to and doing nothing. Is that maid, Emily, aware of my situation as well?”

Upon the deafening silence, I got my answer. I snorted, turning in the direction of the door leading to the washing room.

“Whatever, I’ll bathe now, since it has been so generously offered to me. Hope that Emily does the complete service too, because I don’t plan to move a single muscle to help her wash me.”

And with that, I slammed the door, surprising the poor maid lathering the water in the tub with what looked like bathing salts, and leaned my back against the wood.

It might have not been a good idea saying all those things to the only person who seems to want to treat me more or less nicely, but I was damn well not going to remain silent. After all, what’s the worse they can do to me? Kill me? Hah.

107