Arc 1. Chapter 5-3
1.1k 6 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’re kinda lame, you know?”

Noah was the one who said that while all five of us were picking up the onions. Mathias rolled his eyes, but beyond that didn’t say anything else.

After assuring Mathias that these guys could be trusted –I mean, they were the heroes, and already succeeded once in defeating the viscount, even if it was in an alternate reality– Mathias explained what had happened while Lucas and I were outside and how Adela was fighting the viscount on her own. Mathias, for some reason I did not care to know, since I was starting to get used to him somehow just doing what everybody told him to, was not fighting alongside Adela but doing something she ordered him to that would supposedly help her much more.

I, for one, explained to him what this group of mercenaries was doing here and what their mission was, and although Mathias was not amused, he said nothing about it.

Thus, we ended up picking up the fallen onions and putting them back on the basket Mathias let go of before, right after he healed himself from his injuries with his super advanced magic. And aside from that ill-spirited comment from Noah earlier, we had been pretty quiet.

However, Noah seemed to hate the silence, because he continued talking.

“I mean, that last attack sure was something. By the way, never do that again when I’m nearby, ok? But the rest…” he snorted. “You’re lucky we were not aiming to kill, just incapacitate, otherwise your lame dodging moves would have taken you nowhere.”

“Says the boy who could not touch him even once even though it was three against one” I countered sarcastically, not to defend Mathias, but because I could not let go of such an opportunity to make fun of Noah.

The boy blushed, much to my amusement. “That’s not what I mean! It was pure defense, if at least there was more offense, then the fight would have been much more enjoy-!”

“Noah, that’s enough” Domenic chastised him. Noah pouted, taking the last onion and throwing it dramatically on the basket. Geez, what a brat.

“Still, you should learn how to fight better. Your offensive magic it’s lame” he added, only to have the last word, of course.

“Thank you. I’ll ask for your opinion again when I actually care to hear it” Mathias answered acidly, grabbing the basket and looking at me again with the same frown he had been wearing for the last five minutes. I closed my eyes and sighed, standing up slowly and facing him as well.

“If you want to say something, just say it already.”

“Is Lucas fighting father?” he asked, trying, and failing, to keep his tone composed. I simply nodded as an answer. He cursed and passed a hand through his hair, holding the basket against his waist with only one hand. “Please tell me the people that are with him are strong.”

“They are! Gale and August are crazy strong!” Noah responded a little too enthusiastically. Mathias raised an eyebrow.

“Well, I supposed there’s not much I can do about it…”

“What, so, like, you’re not going to run over there and help him?” I asked, crossing my arms. Mathias made that face he always did when he was with me. A merge between resigned and exasperated. How offensive.

“Like I said, Adela is there too, fighting father all on her own. It’s good she has some help now. I wish I could help, I really do, but I’m not good at fighting…”

“That I can see!” Noah chimed in. Domenic and Isabella hit him on the head at the same time.

“And besides I was given a mission from Adela” Mathias continued completely ignoring Noah. Then he thrust his basket forward. “I need to place these onions all over the corners of the castle.”

“…Is it to cover all mana spaces in the castle?” I asked. Mathias blinked, surprised.

“Yes. Onions combat the mana in the air. Great mages consume mana in enormous quantities especially when they’re fighting against each other. Adela cannot go alone against father, so in the meantime, I was given the responsibility to cover all mana spaces with an onion.”

“And since Adela can draw her magic from the spirits she invokes she can fight without mana” I concluded, seeing the logic in the plan. Onions were Adela’s favorite. Another reason I managed to recognize Mathias earlier. She always gave him the task to carry her onions everywhere, since she didn’t want the smell to stick to her clothes and hair.

“But if you do that you’re also going to cut out our power source of magic” Domenic said, stepping forward. He crossed his arms and looked to his companions. “Besides, we’ve dandled too long here. Our mission it’s taking out that butler before he goes to help his master fight.”

“If you’re looking for Sebastian, you’re likely too late. At this rate, I’m sure he’s probably over in the courtyard with my father already” Mathias said, turning his body around but with his head still facing us. “If you want my advice, you should go assist your comrades as soon as you can. I’m going now. I still have around fifty places left to cover.”

“Wait” this time, it was Isabella who spoke. She walked forward with sure steps and halted when she was right in front of him. “Domenic here is a sensor. He said already the butler isn’t with your father, right?” she turned to the other man, who nodded in assurance.

“He’s moving, but he’s not too far still.”

“See?” Isabella said, as if Domenic’s words meant something to Mathias. Poor people, how they didn’t know the bastard yet. “Besides, the Duke of Sellan sent us in order to protect you, remember? In other words, you’re our charge. We can’t let you go just like that” she stepped closer, looking at his face directly for the first time, before, all of a sudden, halting, her eyes widening and her cheeks reddening.

My body tensed, because right there and then I remembered something I really shouldn’t have forgotten.

Remember the childhood friend from the protagonist that fell for Mathias in the manga? No? I said it in the first chapters though. Still not remembering? Whatever. Got no time to explain, because in that moment I was witness to the very common scene of a super competent and fantastical female character who can take as good as she gives, falling into the very stereotype of the chick of the group crushing on the tall, dark and handsome, troubled but cute, character.

And Isabella was lost to us forever.

Fuck everything.

There is a very old superstition in my country. Onions combat evil spirits and bad intentions from other people. If you place an onion in every cardinal point inside the house, you will have protection against bad things. It is usually done on important dates like your birthday, the death anniversary of a loved one, and new year, so you can have a good year all around or keep the soul of the deceased happy and in heaven. I found it pretty funny, so I thought about including it here, but with a twist. Also, don't worry about Isabella, she isn't as stereotyped as other girls with similar roles.

46