Chapter 5: Streets of cheer and the welcoming celebration
326 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Passing through the gate I saw 4 metal armored guards checking visitors and wagons entering the town, along with a few on the walls pacing back and forth high above the ground with bows in hand. Once past the guards and entrance I glanced back to view the great door that could be closed to seal out any potential invaders, or trap any potential escapees.

  Now caught up and moving with the group, Mayor Black’s voice came back into focus ,even as he faced away from the newcomer’s, while he gestured towards various buildings. “This building here is the main gate’s office of the most famous courier service in Westbend, “The Gilded Letter”. They have multiple offices throughout the city and quite the reputation to boot. They can handle any size of delivery, any distance, and as expediently as you could wish for.”

Stopping to let the group admire the scale of “The Gilded Letter”, Mayor Black took the chance to wave over a small boy waiting at the door to the building. Upon the boy's arrival at his side, Mayor Black whispered something in his ear and sent him running down the road further into town.

  After a moment of letting us admire the complexities of shipping and receiving to be seen at the office, we were once again guided by the mayor further along the road. Being shown and told about the various other shops on the main street. Many storefronts offering a view of exquisite items on display in the windows, and more than a few having entertainers at the door to help draw in customers. Needless to say, the main avenue into town was colorful in not just its products but also in its execution of business.

  With curiosity filling my mind and without the bravery to interrupt the mayor once again, I turned to Mia. “I wonder if we can actually afford any of these shops, what do you think?”

  Taking her eyes off of a nearby window displaying an assortment of brightly colored textiles, Mia turned to me with a smirk on her face. “I didn’t sell my land and if I’m not mistaken, neither have you. Chances are we couldn’t afford the cleaning fee for stepping into their shops with our smelly shoes.”

  “Fair enough, I guessed as much myself. I am assuming that this part of the tour is for the people planning to move with the money they got. Possibly trying to tempt them into staying in town with shows of wealth, prosperity, and the oh so great shiny wares.”

  “Probably.” Mia agreed. “Us farmers, and possibly the hunters, will most likely be passed off somewhere along the way. At least that would make sense. But who knows, the guard lieutenant yesterday told me that there would be festivities.”

  “I wonder how late it's going to run, we both have a long walk back home so I really don’t want to stay too late.”

  “True, but honestly it doesn’t matter to me. I figure I’m not going to be back in time to build a fire tonight or anything that could keep me warm. My plan for today was to finish this celebration, learn how to make a fire pit, and then hunker down in town with my blanket out of the wind. I’ll most likely head back tomorrow at first light.”

  Staring at my new found friend incredulously I opened my mouth to speak but ran into a stopped person in front of me. Nearly falling over, I was caught by one of the boys standing in front of me earlier. My brain started to wonder why the group was stopped, I looked up to see glittering confetti shooting through the air as music started to blare and the crowd started to cheer. A strong man with a chiseled jaw, that would put statues to shame, was lifting a blonde beauty up into the air, smiles on both their faces.

  Within seconds of the woman being brought back to ground and sharing a kiss with her lover, the booming voice of the mayor reverberated throughout the street.

  “Oh what a glorious view! Nothing like seeing true love bloom among the people and the acceptance of marriage! I’m truly happy for you two, may you have strong loving children and a profitable union of your families!” the mayor rejoiced.

  “May the gods bless you and your family be strong!” the surrounding crowd cheered. Renewed blasts of confetti further littered the air and music started anew, trumpets and flutes pumping spirits high.

  Raising an eyebrow I turned towards Mia questioningly.

  Laughing she said, “Oh, this was absolutely staged, well assuming that was what you were about to ask.”

“But why?” I asked.

  “So that people don’t leave the area, so that Westbend looks like an idyllic place to settle down. I guarantee that the rest of the town isn’t nearly as glamorous.”

  Thinking about it for a mere moment, I totally agreed. Something to impress the average resident and thus the average hopeful resident. This was about keeping the newcomers and their money in the local economy.

  “I cant wait until we actually arrive at the end of this tour, I’m starving! Not to mention that I still need to do a bit of looking around. I really hope to leave first thing in the morning and that requires that I learn what I need to do today.”

  Now being reminded after my brief distraction, I turned to Mia and said, “I can teach you how to make a fire pit. I was in the process of trying to burn down my shack whenever lieutenant Dan arrived yesterday. Dan, being a helpful neighbor, showed me how to make one and so now I get the opportunity to pay it forward.”

  “Great, I guess more than a little good came from my bad luck earlier. Made a friend and I won’t need to sleep in the cold tonight! It definitely could've been worse."

  “Haha, well it depends on what time we finish the celebration. I actually might need to head back early because I left my blanket at home and I know the jacket alone isn't enough to keep me warm at night. There is also the issue of my familiar at home needing more warmth too.”

  “Oh, that's right, I never learned your second class. Are you a hunter or something? Are you planning on raising a herd or turning your land into a hunting lodge?” Mia asked with gusto.

  Immediately regretting my slip but not wanting to alienate my first friend I laid it out as clearly as I could with the little time I had to think, “Yeah, something like that.” I said.

  “Well as soon as we finish eating, let's head on back down the road and get to showing me that fire pit blueprint. I’m also curious about what kind of familiar you have, seeing as how you didn’t bring it and its vulnerable to cold. I mean the guys earlier had wolf pups, but you probably have a bear or something huh? Don’t tell me, I want it to be a surprise!” Mia said, half talking to herself.

  “Definitely not a wolf, that's for sure” I mumbled. All the while thinking about how she was going to see Rumble and how to best introduce them. Dan saw Rumble and everything was okay, so why not Mia?

  With such thoughts on my mind and talking to Mia about different things we saw in store’s windows, time was flying by. Noon came and went, with evening well on its way. Before I even knew it, we were to a large square, just up hill from the river and surrounded by vendors of all sorts of foods. There were meat pies, veggies, and fried everything.

  After a moment of letting the newcomers see the splendor of the prepared festivities, Mayor Black raised his voice loud enough to boom across the square. “Welcome one, welcome all, and most of all lets welcome the newcomers! For today is the last day of Winter, and the first day of the rest of their lives! Lets eat, lets drink, and most of all lets make merry! Let the beer flow and the meals fill your stomachs, enjoy your day and may your future in Westbend be bright!”

  After a collective few moments the group of newcomers realized that they were done with the tour, offered free food and beverage, and had absolutely nothing else to do. “WOOOT!” came the collective cheer.

  I started to ask Mia what we should eat and drink first when I noticed that her mind was whirling with new possibilities. “Whats on your mind? What you want to try first?”

  “No.” Mia responded. “I was just thinking how great this is. We finished earlier than expected for one. Second, even though neither of us has any cash we can fill our bellies and possibly leave for home within the hour with a bundle of leftovers.”

  “I’ll be honest, I haven’t thought that far about what's going on. But it does sound good, how about we fill up then decide what will or will not spoil over the next few days.”

  “That sounds like a good start, but I recommend that you think a little further from now on, neither of us are in a position that allows too many mistakes.” Mia admonished.

  “Fair enough, but at least I have a new friend that can help me out until I change my habits.”

Mia look at me thoughtfully and then responded with a smile, “That you do, and I’m glad. Hopefully we don’t become known as the “smelly duo”, but rather “the successful growers over east”.”

  We ate, we danced, we talked to other newcomers. Not many were interested in the farming life, but many promised to stop by, almost all of which were hunters or healers needing herbs.

  One thing was for certain, no expense was spared by the mayor in order to make the town seem absolutely amazing. The people were nice, and the free food/beverages did not hurt.

  In fact the rest of the day wrapped up nicely with no unfortunate events. Over the course of an hour we were able to fill our bellies, use Mia’s blanket to hold enough food for the coming week, and set off back west towards our farms. Along the way we discussed our general likes and what we hoped for in the future, me wanting a slow relaxing life with Mia wanting a crop empire within the decade.

  As twilight was well underway, we finally approached my property’s gate and it was already getting cold. Having been slowed down carrying the blanket of food, we had decided Mia would stay the night, keeping warm by the fire. In the morning we planned to part ways in order to tend to our own fields, but to meet up at her property within a few days.

  At least that was the plan, up until a monster started charging down the path towards us. 2 foot tall with red spines sticking out of its wildly flailing limbs, the thing was terrifying.

14