Iceland 2: Genesis
410 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I don’t understand why Penumbra has to leave.”

 

Victoria sat on the bed, holding Maxine’s hands. 

 

“I’ve been leaning on Penny too much, V.”

 

“What do you mean? You two are parts of a whole. I don’t…”

 

Maxine squeezed V’s hands softly. 

 

“You know how you spent years transitioning, learning to accept your body as it slowly became what it should be?”

 

“Oh.”

 

“I basically got the closest thing to just… becoming cis.”

 

“Max…”

 

“No, listen. Those months where I, where we couldn’t maintain this form indefinitely… you told me I was beautiful anyway.”

 

“You were. You are.”

 

“That was good. That helped. And then I had the option to ignore that progress and just get the literal perfect body. Whatever I wanted.”

 

Victoria just looked at her. She didn’t know what to say. She’d processed the envy long ago. Of course there had been envy, nobody had the body they were perfectly content with. Except for Maxine Powers, who always looked exactly like she wanted to look. But… it did feel good. It was ugly, but a part of her felt relieved that Max felt guilty over this. Not that she’d ever wished it on her but… you know.

 

“This… vampire. It showing up… it’s been a wakeup call. I need to process this. I need to work through my issues, and I need to do that as a human being.”

 

“You are a human being, Maxine. A wonderful one.”

 

“I might be. But we’re not. And for all intents and purposes, We is Me when We are Spite. I can’t… I need to be the human woman, Maxine, and process these feelings. Without relying on Penumbra.”

 

“But relying on your friends is how you process trauma…”

 

“I’m relying on superpowers to pretend there’s nothing to have trauma on. That’s… It’s not healthy. I could have killed that… creature. There might be other triggers in the future. I need to… I need to work this out. And Penny agrees that I need to do it alone.”

 

“Penny agreed?”

 

“It was their idea.”

 

“Will you two survive apart?”

 

Maxine nodded. 

 

“We can. If the process is gentle. Consensual. But Penny needs a host.”

 

“Why do they have to go?”

 

A tear rolled down Maxine’s cheek. Her lip trembled.

 

“L- like I said. They need a host. They can’t survive without one. But apparently something about them is different than it was five years ago. No random person will do. They say they need a specific kind of person. That they’ll know it when they see it.”

 

“Is this goodbye?”

 

“Of course not. Penny will be back when we both feel we need to be.”

 

“Are you okay with this?”

 

As a response, Maxine broke down crying. Victoria held her. She wanted to whisper words of encouragement, but she loved Penny dearly. Her heart was as heavy as it would be if she’d had to be separated from Maxine. There were no words. Just tears.

 

---

 

“How have you been, Marcus?”

 

“It’s been rough, Dana.”

 

Marcus Price took a sip of water, legs curled up underneath him, his pose a reflection of that of his therapist in the sofa opposite his.

 

“I’ve been trying to do better. Do the exercises. They always help a little bit but…”

 

Dana Miller didn’t say anything and just gave him a reassuring smile.

 

“I feel like I keep relapsing. Like… I’m sinking, and the exercises just slow it down for a bit.”

 

“You’re not going to be sinking forever, Marcus. That’s why you’re here. The exercises help you stay afloat while we teach you how to swim.”

 

One of Dana’s cats roamed around the room, making soft “mrr?” sounds as it rubbed up against Marcus’ coat and bag. Marcus focused on it, finding the soft animal a soothing presence in his head.

 

“I know, I just… I don’t see that happening. It’s just always been difficult, and people kept telling me it gets better, and it never has.”

 

“That’s predictive thinking again, Marcus. And what else?”

 

“I shouldn’t use the word ‘never’.”

 

“Try to rephrase it?”

 

“It’s often felt like things wouldn’t get better, but sometimes they did.”

 

“Very good. Do you feel like you have an idea of why they did get better?”

 

“I was usually dating someone.”

 

“Ah.”

 

Dana paused for a moment, writing something down.

 

“You have trouble being single, you’ve told me. Do you know why?”

 

“I just… need that intimacy, you know? I hate being alone.”

 

“Those are two separate things, Marcus. Everyone needs intimacy, but that doesn’t mean everyone hates being alone. What is it about being alone that bothers you so much?”

 

“I just… If it’s just me it’s harder… not to think.”

 

“Thinking isn’t good or bad, it’s just processing.”

 

“That’s true, but…”

 

“Is it possible,” Dana continued, petting the cat that jumped onto the sofa, “that the problem isn’t the thinking itself, but how you’re doing it?”

 

“I mean, yeah, I feel like it’s obviously that.”

 

“But, to use a metaphor, if you love swimming but hate the technique you use because it makes you sink, wouldn’t it then be better to learn a swimming technique that works for you, rather than to stop swimming altogether?”

 

“Y-es. Yeah.”

 

Dana took a pause.

 

“Do you… still talk to your… friend?”

 

“Penny, you mean?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Sometimes. They’re the one that urged me to go see you.”

 

“What do you think Penny is?”

 

“I don’t know. Some part of me that wants me to be okay, I think. The part of me that cares.”

 

“Why do you think it’s a big black bird?”

 

“I have no idea.”

 

“Are they here right now?”

 

Marcus made a bit of a show of looking around. If Penny had been in the room, he figured, his therapist would obviously have seen it. They several feet high, not something you could just ignore.

 

“No, you’d know.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Because they’re a giant bird!”

 

“But you also feel like they’re a part of you… Isn’t it possible that you’re projecting an image, something to latch onto, for that voice to come out of?”

 

He didn’t expect her to understand, of course.

 

“I… no. I don’t think so. Penny has a distinct shape.”

 

“So when you come home tonight, Penny is going to be waiting for you? A giant bird?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And they’ll…” she looked at her notes, “have preheated the oven?”

 

“Usually, yeah.”

 

“Do you think it’s possible you just preheat the oven before you come here because you know you’ll want to have something ready to go after our sessions?”

 

“I’m not going to risk burning my house down, doctor.”

 

“It might not be something you do consciously, Marcus. I just want you to consider the possibility that Penny might exist only in your head. Not that that doesn’t make them real,” she held up a hand to hold off the upcoming protests, “but I find the idea of a talking bird hard to believe. You understand that, right?”

 

“I… Yeah. I do. I’ll ask them to come inside again next time. Maybe that might convince you. Or… me, if you can’t see them, I guess.”

 

The alarm on Dana’s phone went off.

 

“I’m afraid that’s our time for today, Marcus. But I’m incredibly happy, and proud, that you reached out to me. I’ve missed our sessions.”

 

“You’re just saying that.”

 

“Not at all. You’re a very pleasant client to have.”

 

“Maybe we’ll even find out what’s wrong with me some time.”

 

“Maybe we will. Maybe you will. Remember, we’re building you from the ground up, after what happened. It’s important you look at every aspect of your personality before we use it as foundation. Do your exercises. Visualise. You’ll find your connection with other people again, Marcus. I promise. You’ll figure out who you are. It gets easier.”

 

She smiled again as she got up, and hugged him as he went out the door. Against her better judgement, she walked over to the window and looked outside, at the sky, keeping an eye out for any giant black birds that might be flying overhead.

 

Rounding the corner, Marcus stuck his hands in his pockets. He had things to consider.

 

“So, how did it go?”

 

A black bird, though not nearly as big as Marcus usually remembered Penny being, hopped on the pavement next to him.

 

“How do you think it went?”

 

“I’d like to hear it from you.”

 

“She thinks you’re not real.”

 

“Wow. Rude.”

 

“Right? Are you sure you don’t want to come with me?”

 

He looked down at the bird as he waited for the light to turn green.

 

“I don’t think you’re ready yet. Some day.”

 

“When will I be ready?”

 

The light went ‘ding’ and Marcus crossed. Penny hopped.

 

“When you’re, well… you. When you know who you are, M-- Look out!”

 

It was obviously too late to look out. Nobody could sidestep an eighteen-wheeler running a red light coming from their left when they’re looking down and to the right. Marcus ceased to exist.

 

---

 

“Why are we doing this again?”

 

Ceecee fidgeted. While she looked amazing in the vest and tie Rue had hoisted her into, she’d never worn something so constricting, and she kept trying to loosen it. Rue slapped away her hand every time as she fixed Ceecee’s collar.

 

“We’re doing a press event. Everyone needs to look their best.”

 

“You’re wearing a shirt and slacks.”

 

“I don’t take nearly as long to get dressed, baby Brown.” Rue winked.

 

“I was… I j-- What if I was giving you a show, hmm?”

 

“Then it was a very good show, but you’re a terrible liar. There.”

 

Rue patted Ceecee gently on the chest.

 

“All done.”

 

Ceecee softly touched Rue’s hand, and brought it to her mouth for a kiss, maintaining eye contact. 

 

“Your eyes are gorgeous, you know that?” Rue smiled warmly.

 

“I-- Thank you.”

 

“Get a room, you two,” Billy squawked as he walked past them.

 

“This is our room, McQueen. What are you doing here?”

 

“Remy just arrived.” He shot a glance between them. “She’s coming here to change.”

 

Rue’s smile broadened. 

 

“Good!” As Billy left the room, putting distance between himself and the lesbians Rue turned to her partner again. “Ceecee, want to be the one playing dress-up this time?”

 

“No thanks, Rue. I’m happy just to watch.” She smiled meekly. Rue’s enthusiasm faltered, if only a little bit. She forgot sometimes that this was Ceecee’s first foray into polyamory. She pulled her in close and kissed her forehead.

 

“If this is too much, you can let me know, okay? I’m going to be here for you regardless.”

 

“But Remy…”

 

“Is an empath. And she loves you. And you love her. And I love both of you. You’re the most important person in the relationship for you. You deserve space and attention. Don’t be afraid to ask for it. Communicate and you’ll be fine.”

 

She squeezed Ceecee’s hand. “And I’ll be sure to ask you how you’re doing sometimes. In case stepping forward and saying something is too hard.”

 

Ceecee pressed her forehead against Rue’s. 

 

“Thank you.”

 

They stood like that for a moment, until Remy walked in. Her footsteps were as gentle as she was. She was wearing a beautiful but unobtrusive black dress, her hair in a bun. The only thing that was off were the white sneakers. 

 

“I figured I’d get dressed before I got here. I didn’t want to make Ceecee uncomfortable. Looks like that wasn’t entirely successful. You don’t have to be nervous around me, Ceecee.”

 

“I’m not, I…”

 

Remy cocked her head. She was empath, and a powerful one, especially when it came to negative emotions. There weren’t many people who could keep their inner life a secret from her. This was through no fault of her own, it wasn’t something she could turn off, she soaked up the negative energy like a sponge. But it did mean that people tended to be honest around her, if only to avoid her looking at them like, well, this. Lying to her was lying to someone while loudly announcing that that was what you were doing.

 

“I’m… envious, Remy. I’m always a little scared Rue looks forward to the time with you when she’s with me. That I’m just…”

 

Rue sat down on the bed and pulled up her legs underneath her. She listened intently, but didn’t seem upset.

 

“I’m afraid I’m just a distraction. Something to keep her busy because you’re so far away. Or that I’m just a shiny new thing and that this will go away for her and then we’ll be stuck on the same ship, and one of us might have to leave, and--”

 

Remy put a hand on Ceecee’s shoulder. 

 

“That’s all… normal. Let’s sit?”

 

Ceecee nodded, and sat next to Rue. Remy joined her. 

 

“This isn’t a competition, Cee. We’re not trying to compete for Rue’s time and love. Rue can love two things. She doesn’t see me as often because I’m usually back in Seattle. So when I’m here we try to spend time together. That doesn’t mean that that time is somehow more important, or more valuable.”

 

She paused for a second.

 

“This isn’t easy. Not for either of us, either, by the way. Especially when we’re apart, it can be a little sad to be alone when the other’s with a partner. The trick is to realize that what you want is for them to be happy, and especially when you care about your partner and your meta, to find the joy in seeing them both happy.”

 

Ceecee leaned on Rue’s shoulder, who pulled her in for a hug. Remy gently rubbed her back.

 

“But I don’t have that, Remy. I don’t want anyone else, so when Rue’s away it’s… just me, while someone else gets to spend time with her.”

 

“Envy isn’t easy to work through, Cee. But it’s worth it.” Rue gently kissed Ceecee on the cheek to emphasize Remy’s words. 

 

“Are you okay?” Rue asked.

 

“Yeah. I’m sorry.”

 

“Nothing to apologize for, baby Brown. You’re doing great. And we’ll keep talking.”

 

“Yeah. Okay.”

 

“Whatever else is the case, you’re not alone.”

 

“Hah.”

 

---

 

Malice sat in a living room. It didn’t matter much which. Their territory had expanded to include a few cabins, the kind that belonged to people who found it paramount they escaped from civilization, but weren’t keen on leaving the comforts of that civilization behind, equipping their “rustic” cabins with electricity, refrigeration and heating, a television and probably an entertainment system or two. Just like the pilgrims did. 

 

As Malice digested the small family that had lived here, they looked around the room. They’d opted for a smaller, bipedal form, not unlike the shape the body’d had before becoming a host, to make navigating the cabin more easily. 

 

It wasn’t much, but it had tools, tools Malice hadn’t had before. Tools with access to information. It turned on the TV and let it run in the background as it scoured Melanie’s memories. The surface ones were absolutely useless so they’d been sifting through the subconscious to see if there was any proof of the seedlings. Other than sightings of a creature that had been on the news, but it wasn’t enough. It would have to make sure. Opening up the fridge and dragging everything that they could digest to the couch, and decided to do some “research”. It took five hours for it to find what it had been looking for. 

 

---

 

There was a beeping. Something he was familiar with only because of its prevalence in television and film. He slowly opened his eyes. The beige walls of the hospital were a disappointment, but not a surprise. With consciousness came pain. Not the usual kind, but the feeling of having been… hit… by a…

 

He remembered. 

 

He frowned. 

 

He got hit by a truck. A big one. People don’t usually survive those…

 

He looked down. He didn’t seem to be covered head to toe in plaster. In fact, while it was painful to hold his head up, he realized after a drowsy second that actually holding his head up was, well, possible. He dropped his head back on his pillow and swallowed. Ow. That hurt.

 

He moved his fingers and toes. They tingled, but they most definitely responded to commands. His whole body felt sore but… sprained-muscle-sore. Slipped-in-the-kitchen-sore. Definitely not hit-by-a-fucking-truck-sore.

 

He tried to prop himself up and realized that he was very weak indeed and he fell back down into the bed. He made a fist but it felt weak, shaky. He raised it to press it to his chest, which always brought him comfort. It was most definitely not his. It was small, with long, slender fingers and pale, healthy skin. Even the nails seemed to have a natural shine to them. 

 

He spent a few minutes like someone getting high for the first time, looking at his hand that was most definitely not his, and raised the other for comparison. Other than being its mirror image, that one was like this, too. 

 

Um.

 

He propped himself up again on the thin wrists, and managed to sit up against the head of the bed. There was a weight on his chest. A literal, rather than a figurative one. After the whole hands-thing he’d low-key hoped that had been it but he wasn’t stupid. Still, he gave one of them a squish to reaffirm himself that they were indeed real. Hoo boy were they ever. 

 

He had questions.

 

A nurse walked in. She didn’t look like she had answers. He tried to look at her less suspiciously than he felt.

 

“I’m glad to see you’re awake, how are you feeling?”

 

“I’m… eh… I’m okay…”

 

He stumbled after the first word, on a voice that most definitely was not his own. It was spectacularly different. It was soft and low, like you’d imagine a panther in an animated movie to sound.

 

“Do you remember what happened?”

 

He frowned. He thought he did but… like… he looked down at himself again. Clearly he didn’t get the whole picture. 

 

“I’m… not sure… I…”

 

The nurse smiled with pity.

 

“You poor thing. You were in a car accident. A truck came through the building you were inside. You got a bit banged up but you’re just fine, really. It’s a miracle nobody else got hurt, miss.”

 

He didn’t quite get that. He’d been outside, hadn’t he? Unless…

 

“How did… Why did the… Why was there a truck?”

 

“The driver said there was someone in the road, but you two were the only ones on the scene. He ended up hitting a wall and, well, here you are. You weren’t carrying your identification with you, can we get your name?”

 

He paused for a moment, and was about to open his mouth.

 

Don’t be stupid.

 

Hold up.

 

You’re not gonna use that name looking like this, are you?

 

He started to panic. He was hearing voices. Well, voice. His friend’s voice. 

 

Okay… I’m very sorry about this.

 

He felt like someone put a hand on his shoulders and gently pulled him back. Like he was still in place, but looking through his eyes from… further back. He felt his head turn towards the nurse, his mouth move of its own volition. There was a presence in there with him, that he could feel steer his actions.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m just a little confused. I think… I got hit on the head. My face feels swollen, could I see a mirror, please?”

 

What’s happening?

 

We don’t want to be in the hospital for brain damage. Just… relax.

 

“Of course, miss.”

 

The nurse retrieved a small mirror from the cart and handed it to them.

 

He saw the mirror being held in front of… It had to be his face. I wasn’t, of course. It didn’t even remotely look like him. Even the eye and hair colours were different. He was… I mean… this face was that of a woman. Vaguely familiar, perhaps? 

 

Any name you want to use right now? Quick. Any name.

 

“You look beautiful, miss.”

 

A name floated to the top of his mind. 

 

“Is your name coming back yet, miss?”

 

He felt a very gentle feeling of vertigo, just for a second.

 

“It’s… Zoe. Zoe Price. But… I don’t… I’m staying with my brother…”

 

“It’s okay, miss. We can pick this up later, when you’re more awake.”

 

“Thank you, ma’am.”

 

The nurse left the room.

 

“What’s happening to me?”

 

I’m very sorry. I didn’t want to have to do this. I’m supposed to be setting an example.

 

“Do what?”

 

The whole entire everything.

 

“You did this to me?”

 

Okay, listen, I saved your life. Let’s get that out of the way first.

 

“Why am I… eh… yeah?”

 

I had to heal you and I didn’t have a lot of experience with your eh… physique.

 

The television blurped at them with a familiar voice. 

 

“Thank you, prime minister, for your kind words. If I could direct your attention over here…”

 

The woman on the television was short and pretty, in her early thirties. The hair was different but…

 

“That’s the… That woman… the mirror, I…”

 

Maxine’s going to fucking kill me. 

 

---

 

“Thank you all for coming. And thank you, prime minister, for you kind words. If I could direct your attention over here…”

 

Maxine began showing the now-nearly-complete Lilypad to the assorted press. Ceecee and Remy stood on both sides of Rue, in front of the tarp-covered material. They both barely came up to her shoulders. When the press had their back to them, she gave them both a quick kiss on the head. Both of them squeezed her hand. Her big moment was going to come up soon enough. Remy reassured her with a look. She could feel Rue's nervousness emanate like heat off of her.

 

It wasn't unreasonable. This was scary, of course. Not only were they going public with the Lilypad project, but with LIT Inc as a whole. People were going to know about them. No more pretending they didn’t exist. And she was certain she’d be able to protect her loved ones if someone ever tried something stupid. But still…

 

The reporters were asking Maxine questions. Victoria was standing just behind her, probably giving her words of encouragement and advice. The important thing right now was getting their message across. She saw Maxine from across the way, and Rue internally mouthed along with the words. She’d heard them said and rehearsed so many times.

 

“Lux In Tenebris Incorporated is a self-sustaining humanitarian organisation,” Maxine would be saying right about now, “working with governments and international bodies to work on projects that will help not just the planet, but everyone on it.”

 

It was why they started, after all. But, Rue remembered, neither Victoria nor Maxine had been content just building hospitals. It was good work, but they both needed more, they said. They could do more. With abilities like theirs, the team they’d assembled, they needed to think big and help where they could. Not to do more with the ability they had was unethical. Rue couldn’t disagree. Building schools, rebuilding shelters, it had felt good. But it was a drop in the ocean. They had a lot of projects lined up. The Lilypad arcologies were just the first step.

 

“How are you funding this project?” Someone asked. It was a question, the question, that Maxine would be waiting for. First a few lines denying the possibility that they were working with rich donors. Then, the coup de grace. “We simply don’t need the money for manpower.”

 

“But how--”

 

“Myself, and our team, have something not many people have.”

 

Rue saw Victoria press a finger to her ear, giving Sam the signal.

 

“We can work in environments not many people can…”

 

As she said that, Sam launched herself out of the ocean and landed on the deck with a loud thud in a perfect three-point landing. To achieve that height, Rue had basically fired her out of a construct just below the surface of the water. But it was very dramatic. Sam was wearing only the lightest diving gear. 

 

“And we can get work done faster than most.”

 

That was Rue’s cue. Maxine gestured towards her. Ceecee and Remy removed the tarp behind them and uncovered a pile of parts. 

 

Rue took a step forward and summoned a floating pillow as she pulled up her legs, floating in the air as a dozen of her constructs, robots, elves, flying monkeys, tiny dragons, anything that could show off her abilities, picked up individual parts and assembled them with the tools lying around. She’d had to study the plans for a long time but she found that complexity didn’t bother her. It took exactly ten seconds for the oldsmobile to be assembled, right in front of the press. Maxine walked over to it, putting the key in the ignition. The engine purred to life. A bit of a stunt, but it got the point across.

 

“Associates of the press, as you can see, Lit Inc. is more than equipped to continue our projects. While we appreciate any donations, what you’ve seen is only a part of what our organisation can do.” 


She was addressing the world-leaders who would undoubtedly be watching the broadcast, after this display. 

 

“With your support and permission, we will do what we can to improve infrastructure everywhere. The Lilypad Project is only the first step. And we would again like to thank the Icelandic government for their help in keeping it confidential until we were ready to unveil it. Members of the press, Lit Inc. is here to shine a light in dark times and dark places. We want to make a change.”

 

Pause. Just one more thing. For show. Maxine didn’t have the power she used to but…

 

Her hair unfurled itself from her bun, and grew longer and darker. Her eyes changed colour, her skin just a slight more pale, and she grew half a foot in height. Her red dress had been chosen specifically to accommodate for this. The reporters took a step back, but no more transformation was coming. She smiled at them innocently.

 

“Are there any questions?”

 

---

In a cabin in the woods, Malice saw a woman warp her own body, and saw the traces of a seedling. This was wrong. This should have never happened. The seedling should not, could not have done this, and yet somehow it had. Malice felt rage bubble up inside of it, and with an inhuman, piercing scream it flung the television across the room. It grew, bigger and fatter and angrier, growing arms and legs and eyes and teeth, tearing chunks out of the walls and tossing furniture around, destroying the room in a sickly, dark-green whirlwind.

26