Chapter 170 – The trees and the walls
1.8k 3 117
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She had focused on the map for all of twenty seconds, and it had been enough for both paths to be walled. She turned around, searching for anything useful, but there was nothing other than herself in this isolated straight corridor.

Her first reflex was to check all of the walls for the hard speckled stone. There could be one without it that she could use to escape. She also conjured her graveyard. The two non-moving side walls had the hard stuff behind them. Sofia ran to one of the newly appeared walls and slashed at it with her mithril dagger, same result. So the moving walls come with the hard stuff too… She felt some of the graveyard skeletons dissipating behind her right after they emerged from the ground.

Did something kill them?

Turning around, she realized the corridor had gotten much shorter. The skeletons had somehow died from being encased in the wall.

How ironic. But bad.

Is it that they only move when I don’t look?

All skeletons stare at your nearest wall. Now if I turn my back to the other one again…

Despite giving it ample time, the wall did not move. Maybe it’s just luck, or maybe I have a solid theory. Now how do I get out of here? I know perception alteration and hallucinations are a thing, but that doesn’t look like it. All my senses tell me this is real.

Sofia tried to recall the rats to her, just to see where they would end up and where the boundaries of these new walls were. And the rats eventually did find the other side of these new walls. They were at the same distance in both directions when she stood at the center of her small corridor.

I’d say, give or take five hundred meters?

“I can already see a way out, but that would take months… I do have one full year… But there has to be a built-in way to deal with this. Otherwise, too many people would fail here, blocked between four walls. That doesn’t seem right.”

She tried to think about something most people could do that could get her out. Of course, this was all assuming that everyone got the same ordeal and not a personalized test. What if I splash the hard stone with the water they gave?

Yeah, that does nothing. It was worth a try… I could scrape all the stone bricks out of the walls, but that won’t get me far…

I need to try a few things. It’s good that I still have quite a bit of space…

Sofia got close to one of the moving walls and closed her eyes. All skeletons looking at the wall furthest from me turn around to look at me.

She felt the skeletons moving, and she opened her eyes one second later. No one was looking at the far wall, but it didn’t seem to have moved. Maybe it takes longer.

She closed her eyes for two seconds. Still nothing. Three seconds.

Yet aga-... No, wait. It feels a bit closer, doesn’t it? She closed her eyes for three seconds again.

It’s definitely closer! So it either takes three seconds to kick in, or the movement is so small during a shorter time that I didn’t notice it. The rats on the other side moved along with it, so it is really some kind of moving wall. Speaking of which, what are the rats doing? They’re piling on each other on the other side?

What? They got in? There’s a rat inside the wall? How?

Sofia walked to the wall, and the rats inside formed a perfectly straight line, running toward her. Soon after, they started streaming out of a hole in the wall. The hole she had carved into the stone bricks to check if there was the hard stone behind. After the last of the forty or so rats had fulfilled their order of trying to reach her, they were waiting for their next order. Meanwhile, Sofia was crouching and looking straight into the hole.

It was a long straight hole piercing straight through the five hundred meters of wall. It was clean-cut and lined with stone bricks. The hole I carved somehow became part of the design? Woah. This does feel like something anyone could find out if they tried to dig their way out. So what if I take out more bricks to make a doorway?

She did just that, taking out the bricks one by one with big cuts of her Mithril dagger, storing the debris in her ring to go faster. That’s kinda like fileting a fish. Except I’m fileting a wall.

After a few minutes of not-so-hard work, she stepped back to admire her crooked masterpiece of a carved door. Obviously, for now, it was blocked by the black stone, with only the previous small hole in the middle. She took her position again as far as possible from that wall, made sure all the skeletons looked away, and closed her eyes for three seconds.

And there we have it!

The wall was closer, and there was a nice and wide, if crooked, doorway cutting straight through. I don’t understand how or why that worked, and I’m not going to ask. Finally getting some understanding of how the place worked, she felt safe enough to dispel the graveyard and start getting her mana back up. She considered for a second if she should always have a rat looking in every direction but decided against it. Because what if the path she needed to take was currently blocked by one of those? She might as well fish them out and carve a way through each of them. Eventually, all that was left would become nothing but moving paths.

Moving paths… That I control. The lesser dragon was too big to fit in there, wasn’t it? Hmm, but it can control stone. If that extends to the black stone, I'm done for. And it’s not going to idly stand near the entrance to my small corridor waiting for me to poke it to death, either.

I’ll explore more and think about it. I still have rats tracking it from afar, anyway. The sad part about it is that it’s likely a summoned monster like the guys in the test before. His body disappeared after Pareth offed him. So, no bones. Trials are terrible for necromancers…

Sofia kept exploring the maze. Now that she didn’t feel as pressured by the moving walls, it had become almost relaxing. Nothing happened most of the time. There weren’t more traps or monsters, only a never-ending ocean of stone bricks.

This is taking too long. And the rats have expired, so I lost track of the lizard. Sofia summoned her book and took out every piece of her map to form one large bone map on the floor. She sat in front of her map and summoned the fifty-four black turvins. Birds are faster than rats. Go crazy, explore every path, fly as fast as you can, and close to the ceiling. Only stop if you find a chest.

Sofia put her hands down on the map and closed her eyes. I’ll transfer my current map to the other side just in case this could get messy.

Could she track the movement of fifty-four birds at the same time, all the while drawing a map of their paths? I’m not sure. But if someone can do it, it’s someone with [Fast reading] and [Way of the Fool].

It started easy as the birds separated into two groups, each going to one side of the tunnel. Then they reached the first intersections. At the start, Sofia could still think and draw the map, but when more than twenty birds were going their own way, she had to focus like never before to keep track. Under the control of [Bone dominus], the map was taking shape, thin indents in the bone indicating the tortuous paths of the maze. One of the birds died on the way, supposedly to the lesser dragon. But it was after almost half an hour of intensive mapping that something truly bizarre happened. One of the birds disappeared from one side of the map, and a ‘new one’ appeared far to the opposite end.

Teleportation?

As time passed, more and more birds disappeared and reappeared. Sofia was starting to get a feeling for the boundaries of the maze. It was a circle. And when you stepped out, you’d come back from the opposite end.

Truly a sick way to design a maze. You could walk forever in the same direction and never find an end. But where is the exit, though?

The birds ran out of lifespan; in a bit more than three hours, Sofia had mapped what she estimated to be around 30% of the maze. Percentage subject to debate depending on how many moving walls there were. She would have to move to another starting point for the birds if she wanted to map out the whole place optimally.

Also, one of them had stopped, so I think I have a second chest. Let’s get moving.


 

117